Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

No they are not collecting your car reg details illegally. If you park on private property and there are rules posted they can take your car reg details. What they can't do, under GDPR, is obtain your address via the motor tax company or the guards. I presume they hope everyone just pays. Now this is what I think, if you get a fine, DO NOT rely on my info. Car clampers are different. They post up signs that they will clamp if you outstay your welcome and they apply the clamp immediately - they don't need your address to clamp your car - they do it on their own property (ie the carpark) or on behalf of the town councils. You then have to pay to have the clamp removed.

This is my understanding of the law, I could well be wrong. I wonder if the local guards would know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

I'm assuming that people just pay it like you would with any fine.
    How do they know where to send the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

How do they know where to send the fine?

They have some means of getting it but not in a legal way hence if it ever went to court and it was questioned it would blow the lid on whoever is giving the information. The warden there scans the reg with some sort of handheld device but this is more to do with tracking your time spent in the car park.

Clamping is different, they don’t need your address cos you can’t leave til they get paid, having said that if you cut it off and do a runner they can go to the guards and ask them to follow up.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand. Great to finally see planning going in for the Clonmel Arms site. If it goes ahead it will be fantastic for the town. A huge project by any standards, I hope it all goes to plan. So many good memories there over the years.

http://clonmelonline.com/2018/11/new-look-clonmel-arms-hotel-planned-for-clonmel/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Clamping is different, they don’t need your address cos you can’t leave til they get paid, having said that if you cut it off and do a runner they can go to the guards and ask them to follow up.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting. What happens if you remove the clamp without doing it any damage. Is this an offence? or is the offence damaging the clampers property?

Lots of videos online about this but mostly in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Anyway, back to the topic in hand. Great to finally see planning going in for the Clonmel Arms site. If it goes ahead it will be fantastic for the town. A huge project by any standards, I hope it all goes to plan. So many good memories there over the years.

http://clonmelonline.com/2018/11/new-look-clonmel-arms-hotel-planned-for-clonmel/

John Nallen won't be happy

snipey wrote: »
    John Nallen won't be happy

Nallen will always have his crowd and seems to have a lot of loyal customers who appreciate the relative seclusion of the place. I doubt he will loose much in the way of custom to be honest. I think this development will hit the Park hotel more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Is John Nallen the Minella? (Spot the blow in!!)

Nallen will always have his crowd and seems to have a lot of loyal customers who appreciate the relative seclusion of the place. I doubt he will loose much in the way of custom to be honest. I think this development will hit the Park hotel more.

I think that the Minella has lost a lot of its sparkle. Last time I ate there, I thought the place itself seemed dated and in need of a total revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I think that the Minella has lost a lot of its sparkle.

During functions, does he still carve meat in the middle of the ballroom floor in full sweat ?
    Puts me off my food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

PacMan wrote: »
    During functions, does he still carve meat in the middle of the ballroom floor in full sweat ?
    Puts me off my food.

Course he does. He’s been doing it forever. I’d say it must add to the flavour.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Course he does. He’s been doing it forever. I’d say it must add to the flavour.

No need for salt.....

I have been at a few functions there down trough the years, and it was the main comment at the meal. Amazing how one incident of a sweaty man cutting beef can make strangers come together and have a laugh at the dinner table.

Funny though, I assume he thinks its a tradition or something.
    I find it a turn off my food.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

have to agree but still say he'll lose a lot of custom for Sunday dinners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

PacMan wrote: »
    Puts me off my food.

Yea. Made the mistake of booking a communion lunch there. Took two hours to be served. He insisted in serving every booking for around 200 people together as if it was a wedding even though we had just booked a lunch and didn't know anyone else in the room. Then out he comes looking like he was going to have a heart attack sweating and drooling all over the food. It was like a bad wedding in the 80s. There was even a big bowls of dessert like trifle and black Forest gateaux that all the customers could help themselves to and double dip as many times as they liked.

And that's the problem with the Minella. It hit its peak around 1985 and it can't see a reason to improve on perfection. Hopefully a bit of decent competition will make them up their game a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Shocking Clonmel doesn't have a decent central hotel when you compare it to a lot of other towns of similar size around Ireland like say Athlone, so it'll be great when it re-opens again.

A bit of competition for other hotels in Clonmel like the Park and Minella but Clonmel should be pushing to increase tourist/visitor numbers especially with the likes of the new Bulmer's visitor centre planned.

I think that would be a magnificant addition to the town. And not just because it is a badly needed hotel. It is a modern design and will set a modern tone to the town. It sends out a message that the drab derelict 1920s are over and we are a town that is embracing the 21st century. It will set a new standard for the buildings of the town as many of the current ones are no longer fit for purpose.

Of course there will be the usual nay-sayers who will say that the drab derelict 1920s are our heritage and essential to their image of the town and all progress must be stamped out to preserve their drab derelict view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Anyone hear JD Sports are going into the Dunnes unit on O Connell Steeet.

I'd be surprised if they did. There isn't exactly a shortage of sports shops in O'Connell Street and meanwhile a sports shop is one of the obvious things missing from the showgrounds. But that said if they did it would be great to see the unit occupied.

Actually I heard this recently - in the last 2 or 3 weeks. I was surprised too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

touts wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they did. There isn't exactly a shortage of sports shops in O'Connell Street and meanwhile a sports shop is one of the obvious things missing from the showgrounds. But that said if they did it would be great to see the unit occupied.

I believe Showgrounds not the easiest to deal with. The issue down there anyway from day 1 is no strong grocery anchor. Every shop feeds off a strong grocery anchor & m&s is a pricey convenience store. Until that changes I can't see them attracting the likes of JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes, the food was really nice, on all the occasions, that I have eaten there. Even the slices carved by the sweaty man, as you mentioned in your post.

I would like to see a new hotel open, the plans look nice and competition is always good isnt it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

New Asian food restaurant opened where the morrigan used to be on parnell Street, New restaurant opening soon by befanis and I've heard theres a new cafe place going in beside the idle units beside the credit union. Good news for sure, looking forward to trying to new Asian place looks nice from the pics on Facebook.

The restaurant by Befanis used to be Catalpa - now opening under new management, opening on the 11th December.

klose wrote: »
    New Asian food restaurant opened where the morrigan used to be on parnell Street, New restaurant opening soon by befanis and I've heard theres a new cafe place going in beside the idle units beside the credit union. Good news for sure, looking forward to trying to new Asian place looks nice from the pics on Facebook.

The restaurant in the old Catalpa is called “The Bunker” and is open next week I believe, the one down near the Credit union is called “The Junction” and from what I hear the lad who runs Gavin’s restaurant down at Planet Playground is opening it which if it’s anything like his other restaurant the food will be good.

Also heard the Emerald Gardens was opening again but haven’t seen anything going on up there in a while so not sure how reliable that rumour was.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

What's the Asian restaurant called?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Recliner wrote: »
    What's the Asian restaurant called?

Kyoto Asian Street food I think, apparently they've a place in waterford that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Iceman1984 wrote: »
    I believe Showgrounds not the easiest to deal with. The issue down there anyway from day 1 is no strong grocery anchor. Every shop feeds off a strong grocery anchor & m&s is a pricey convenience store. Until that changes I can't see them attracting the likes of JD.

Iceland and Dealz/Pep&Co are footfall drivers too, and at the other end of the price spectrum. I read an article recently about M&S proposing to move towards a more value approach instead of a luxury. while some might regret that, it will probably increase what people spend in there as I doubt there's very many doing a full weeks shop in any M&S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kyoto Asian Street food I think, apparently they've a place in waterford that's nice.

If it’s the same guys as Limerick it’s top class

Advertisement