Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Maymack wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a lack of general hygiene creeping back into takeaways? Not going to mention one in particular because there are a few. The person taking your order, handling money and then proceeding to make your food without washing their hands or using a hand sanitiser. I wish this practice would stop. Money carries a lot of germs. All they have to do is have one person at the till taking your order and the rest of the staff cooking. Or if the person that takes your order has to cook as well, that they wash their hands or use a hand sanitiser.

Is this unique to Clonmel or in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You're probably right but in a toss up between the germs I may get from takeaways and driving on the roads with awful drivers, I feel that someone in a car is going to get me first. Speed, phones, general distractions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Maymack wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a lack of general hygiene creeping back into takeaways? .... Money carries a lot of germs. All they have to do is have one person at the till taking your order and the rest of the staff cooking. Or if the person that takes your order has to cook as well, that they wash their hands or use a hand sanitiser.

I'd never thought about it - but you are right. I don't eat much takeaway but next time I'm dining out, I will check and quietly say something if their hand hygiene is dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I went to college and studied hospitality I worked in some fairly good hotels. You'd never eat out again if you saw the hand hygiene that I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Not just unique to Clonmel but I'd mainly get my takeaways here. You can have the cleanest walls & floors in a takeaway, and a basic thing which we were taught as kids to wash your hands and by not doing so can give that premises a bad reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

At least in the chipper you can see what's happening. Although in one I used to visit, they have pulled a mobile counter across to block the view. I don't go there anymore. You can only guess what's happening in takeaways with hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

At least in the chipper you can see what's happening. Although in one I used to visit, they have pulled a mobile counter across to block the view. I don't go there anymore. You can only guess what's happening in takeaways with hatches.

If you think too much about these things you wouldn't eat at all. Think about what happens to the food before it even reaches retail outlets, how many opportunities have there been for contamination especially uncooked food like salads etc. ;)

dieselbug wrote: »
    If you think too much about these things you wouldn't eat at all. Think about what happens to the food before it even reaches retail outlets, how many opportunities have there been for contamination especially uncooked food like salads etc. ;)

Make a new year resolution to stop eating take away crap, and only very occasional restaurant meals. Cook at home, simple plain food, no chicken, unless free range, no pork whatsoever, no processed meats burgers or sausages. Beef and lamb ok, as they mostly feed outdoors.
    Best of all, go vegetarian

This resolution will help big time in keeping cancer at bay.
    Don't wait until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Make a new year resolution to stop eating take away crap, and only very occasional restaurant meals. Cook at home, simple plain food, no chicken, unless free range, no pork whatsoever, no processed meats burgers or sausages. Beef and lamb ok, as they mostly feed outdoors.

Killjoy much? :D

To thine own self be true

Killjoy much? :D

I'm just saying what is proven beyond doubt. It's all great until it's too late.
    Try to introduce anti cancer steps gradually into your diet. Happy new year.

• Advertisement

And loads of brussels sprouts

This is gone way off topic.

I'm just saying what is proven beyond doubt. It's all great until it's too late.
    Try to introduce anti cancer steps gradually into your diet. Happy new year.

Actually there’s no proof that diet or lifestyle changes will help avoid cancer. To claim so is irresponsible in the extreme. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2019.

For starters, check out cancer research. UK, and the Mayo clinic.

For starters, check out cancer research. UK, and the Mayo clinic.

Owney, take your baloney to it’s own thread.

Actually there’s no proof that diet or lifestyle changes will help avoid cancer. To claim so is irresponsible in the extreme. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2019.

Do we really need proof to know that some foods, especially processed foods are not good for us and can contribute to poor health even cancer. Promoting healthy eating and lifestyle is surely a good thing.
    I mentioned brussel sprouts earlier partly tongue in cheek because lots of people don't like them, but are they not also loosely known as the anti cancer veg?

Anyway, we are now in to 2019 so we are leaving the bad stuff behind us and living new and "cleaner" lives from now on:rolleyes:

Happy new year.

Can a mod please have a word here? Way off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

A couple of questions..There used to be a shop in Irishtown that you could sell bags of clothes to, they bought by weight. It seems to be closed now. Does anyone know if they've relocated or if there's another shop of that around.
    Secondly, I noticed a digger in the field where the little ponies are at the railway station. Anyone know what's going on there or what will happen to the ponies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Don't know about the shop in Irishtown, but there are houses being built in the field with the ponies. I'm not sure how much of the field that the houses will use but I presume that the ponies will have to be moved.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Don't know about the shop in Irishtown, but there are houses being built in the field with the ponies. I'm not sure how much of the field that the houses will use but I presume that the ponies will have to be moved.

Has planning permission been granted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I think so. Hence the truck and the digger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Don't know if this was discussed here before a search didn't bring anything up.
    Where was the pram factory in Clonmel and in what years did it operate.

Was it in the old meat factory in Irishtown?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Recliner wrote: »
    A couple of questions..There used to be a shop in Irishtown that you could sell bags of clothes to, they bought by weight. It seems to be closed now. Does anyone know if they've relocated or if there's another shop of that around.
    There was one across from the train station.
    Someone else may be able to confirm if it's still open.

To thine own self be true

Wasn't that the old boot factory down the quay? used to be the pram factory before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The pram factory I believe was beside St Mary's in irishtown. I remember when Kinsella's pub was going you could see the remnants of the factory from the beer garden, which would place it between St Mary's and the Polish supermarket.

Came across on an auction site where a pram was being offered.
    Don't know how accurate it is.

The Pram Factory was located inside the gate of the old Prison in one of the old prison buildings up to the mid 1960's. This was on Emmet Street and only the old gate is left. They moved to Irishtown to a premises behind the Gem shop about 100 yards past the West Gate on the left.
    A fire in the early 1970's burned the factory to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

There was one across from the train station.
    Someone else may be able to confirm if it's still open.

Yeah, they are there and open. Think hours are 10 to 5 or something, possibly four. Seem to do a steady trade judging by the bags behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

What ever happened to the Post House development on Gladstone Street. I thought Mulligan's were re locating in there but it seems all works have stopped.
    Planning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    What ever happened to the Post House development on Gladstone Street. I thought Mulligan's were re locating in there but it seems all works have stopped.
    Planning?

There was work going on in there a few weeks back, probably just stopped over Christmas and New year

Advertisement