Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Does anyone know if the cinema extension is ever going to start? Got planning permission over two years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Maymack wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the cinema extension is ever going to start? Got planning permission over two years now.

Was wondering that myself. I'm surprised they could afford to justify it though - the place never seems overly busy. Many's the time I've watched a film in a near empty cinema. Then, whenever there's a reasonable number of people they don't seem to have enough staff on, the queueing time can be ridiculous. That's since they stopped manning the ticket desk and merged it with the food counter, so each transaction takes ages now.

I reckon if the cinema was merged with a bowling alley, quasar or escape room type activity it would have much higher footfall and be more sustainable.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Hi there,

Anyone know where the ponies went that were in the field near the Railway Station that has construction going on in it at present?

Were they being 'housed' there by the TSPCA? or owned by whoever owned the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

What's Clonmel like to do a driving test in these days? I failed it there more than once 15+ years ago so I tried another centre and passed. One of my kids has just got her learners permit and I'd like her to get her lessons and test out of the way as soon as possible, preferably with Aviva driving school as my car is insured with them.

I know if someone is a competent driver then theoretically they should be able to pass anywhere but my memories of tests in Clonmel are people walking out just opposite Holland and Barrett, trying to overtake parked cars in irishtown and people pulling in and leaving hazards on opposite McDonald's. Clonmel would be convenient for us but I could probably get to Dungarvan nearly as easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

julyjane wrote: »
    What's Clonmel like to do a driving test in these days? I failed it there more than once 15+ years ago so I tried another centre and passed. One of my kids has just got her learners permit and I'd like her to get her lessons and test out of the way as soon as possible, preferably with Aviva driving school as my car is insured with them.

I know if someone is a competent driver then theoretically they should be able to pass anywhere but my memories of tests in Clonmel are people walking out just opposite Holland and Barrett, trying to overtake parked cars in irishtown and people pulling in and leaving hazards on opposite McDonald's. Clonmel would be convenient for us but I could probably get to Dungarvan nearly as easily

And let's not forget my experience which involved turning the bend in the old bridge where the Emigrants rest is, and meeting a horse and trap just stopped up on the bend. Wouldn't move and was waving me past him on a continuous line. I looked over at the tester to essentially communicate 'bro, I'm aware I'm on a double bend with a continuous line but the guy with the horse is parked up and isn't moving so I have to cross the line to do one of the most illegal and dangerous thing that could happen on a test' Tester didn't even bat an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

And let's not forget my experience which involved turning the bend in the old bridge where the Emigrants rest is, and meeting a horse and trap just stopped up on the bend. Wouldn't move and was waving me past him on a continuous line. I looked over at the tester to essentially communicate 'bro, I'm aware I'm on a double bend with a continuous line but the guy with the horse is parked up and isn't moving so I have to cross the line to do one of the most illegal and dangerous thing that could happen on a test' Tester didn't even bat an eyelid.

Was it marked as a fault?

To thine own self be true

a relation of mine failed at Holland and Barrett because a lady with a buggy crossed in front of him coming from Mitchell st. So he stopped and waved her on thinking it was the right thing to do. He got an automatic grade 3 fault and I'm sure he wasn't the first or the last. I agree he shouldn't have waved her on and he learned an expensive lesson but I'm wondering now with the 12 mandatory lessons the instructor will probably cover a lot of "what if" scenarios like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

barbie1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Anyone know where the ponies went that were in the field near the Railway Station that has construction going on in it at present?

Were they being 'housed' there by the TSPCA? or owned by whoever owned the field?

I'm not sure but I did see one of the miniature ponies in the fields beside the new river walk from the Old Bridge to the Convent bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Mitchel Street

One “l”

Named after John Mitchel.

Sorry to derail. Wrecks my head! (Easily wrecked you may well say :D)

Mitchel Street

One “l”

Named after John Mitchel.

Sorry to derail. Wrecks my head! (Easily wrecked you may well say :D)
    Well you learn something new every day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

julyjane wrote:
    Well you learn something new every day

Yeah how easy it is to wreck secondrowgals head :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Was it marked as a fault?

No but he got me on 'progress'. I later found out that you have to hit 4th gear. In the old diesel jeep I was driving, in the places and speeds I was going during the test, I couldn't make it to 4th gear in my opinion but in the next test I just did it and passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

A new coffee shop has opened on O'Connell Street beside Carri's. Small enough but the coffee was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

We have an abundance of new coffee shops opening - that one next to Carri's, on Gladstone street near the Post House and Parnell Street. I hope they do well. Even if each of us visit one of them in January, that would be a great boost to a new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

The one on Gladstone street (Sweet Carolines) is a new incarnation of the cake shop that used to be upstairs near Marians and Lonergans. Amazing cakes. Well worth a visit.

Question.
    The new houses being built by the railway. Is the only access going to be at that roundabout or will there be access down the far end of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

pooch90 wrote: »
    The one on Gladstone street (Sweet Carolines) is a new incarnation of the cake shop that used to be upstairs near Marians and Lonergans. Amazing cakes. Well worth a visit.

Question.
    The new houses being built by the railway. Is the only access going to be at that roundabout or will there be access down the far end of the site?

Only at the railway bridge, no other way they can get out, rediculous to put any extra entrance onto that railway bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

That's crazy and so dangerous! So much traffic backed up there and people get really ratty at that roundabout. Accident waiting to happen. Does the site back into another estate on the far end?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

whats in the planning application for this development?

whats in the planning application for this development?

Don’t know but I do know there is no other possible exit, apparently planning permission had actually expired before they started to build. 40 ish houses planned. We should all be lodging objections...that roundabout is chaotic enough without 40-80 cars more coming onto it !!

solerina wrote: »
    Don’t know but I do know there is no other possible exit, apparently planning permission had actually expired before they started to build. 40 ish houses planned. We should all be lodging objections...that roundabout is chaotic enough without 40-80 cars more coming onto it !!

We need the houses quicker than you need to get home. Slow down at black spots, breathe and you'll get there eventually. We should all approach our TDs to see if a better solution can be found in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

developments generally dont have multiple exits anymore - this leads to residential areas being used as rat runs for traffic

Does anyone know someone who can fix washing machines - the drum has stopped (in mid cycle with wet washing and water everywhere) grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does anyone know someone who can fix washing machines - the drum has stopped (in mid cycle with wet washing and water everywhere) grrr

Can you do a spin/drain cycle?
    Is the machine still under warranty?
    I'm not from Clonmel but I find when they start acting up like that they mightn't be worth repairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Sounds like a broken belt. Simon Sunderland at Jacksons Cross repairs them, or if you're up for the job yourself he supplies parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

40 houses!! Jebus, I didn't realise there were that many planned.

Sounds like a broken belt. Simon Sunderland at Jacksons Cross repairs them, or if you're up for the job yourself he supplies parts.

Do you have his number please? And now I'm not up for the job myself

Do you have his number please? And now I'm not up for the job myself

Sean sunderland 087 7996116

We need the houses quicker than you need to get home. Slow down at black spots, breathe and you'll get there eventually. We should all approach our TDs to see if a better solution can be found in the meantime.

Clonmel isn’t Dublin...we don’t have a shortage of land to build, I really don’t think this field with its only access via an already tight roundabout is a suitable place for 40+ houses.

Clonmel isn’t Dublin...we don’t have a shortage of land to build, I really don’t think this field with its only access via an already tight roundabout is a suitable place for 40+ houses.

That's not what I meant, I wasn't clear enough. The point I was trying to make was we are in desperate need of housing, and they are building houses, so let's not make a fuss and delay the housing.

I was surprised myself about housing on top of the railway, not to everyone's fancy and you are right about the roundabout.

I think the old army barracks should be used for elderly/special needs housing (like Morton Street) instead of more government buildings and I think Ballingarrane House, where the Local Enterprise Office is situated and surrounded by acres and acres of land, should also be used for housing.

We should approach the council and TDs and insist on better housing areas than recently chosen, and tell them to HTFU with it.

• Advertisement

Sean sunderland 087 7996116

Thank you so much for Sean's number. He arrived in this morning, fixed the problem, very reasonable, I'm delighted with it. Saved me a good few hundred buying a new one.

Advertisement