Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

They can keep raising the issue of housing - and who has the say what sites / land is bought on behalf of the council and when?#

They should be hounding them - there are loads of empty properties around the place.

The problem with the fair deal scheme is when elderly people go into nursing homes, if they sell their home then they lose the benefit of the fair deal scheme and have to use their own money - if you're a millionaire that isn't a problem but for the average person just the thought of having no money to bury them or leave to family etc, then that causes them great pain and stress. They won't sell and the houses stay empty. Its an awful waste.
    they can hound all they like most of them are executive functions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

they can hound all they like most of them are executive functions

Well Tipperary County Council has a budget for buying/building houses - who says where that gets spent and how many houses.

Our public servants should be made accountable and do their jobs. There is money there, they should be made to spend it.

Well Tipperary County Council has a budget for buying/building houses - who says where that gets spent and how many houses.

Our public servants should be made accountable and do their jobs. There is money there, they should be made to spend it.
    the councillors do not have the power to make them spend it. that is the whole point. several times i heard people ask councillors about some issue and they are told i raised that several times. what does that mean? it means they have no power except claiming to "get" a medical card. They are all part of the system at the end of the day. none of them will stick their neck out too far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

It would be far more in their remit to sort the parking issue on Thomas Street prior to granting permission for more houses.

There should only be parking on one side of the street due to it being a bus corridor. It's lethal there with busses or trucks trying to come up the street with cars parked both sides.

F34 wrote: »
    It would be far more in their remit to sort the parking issue on Thomas Street prior to granting permission for more houses.

There should only be parking on one side of the street due to it being a bus corridor. It's lethal there with busses or trucks trying to come up the street with cars parked both sides.

I think that houses are more important than saving someone from being delayed by a minute or two.

• Advertisement

the councillors do not have the power to make them spend it. that is the whole point. several times i heard people ask councillors about some issue and they are told i raised that several times. what does that mean? ....

But someone has the power to make them spend it, who is it? And why can't the Councillors put pressure on them to spend it. They can do something and we should make them do so - letting them off the hook is lazy - call them to account.

But someone has the power to make them spend it, who is it? And why can't the Councillors put pressure on them to spend it. They can do something and we should make them do so - letting them off the hook is lazy - call them to account.
    because a lot of decisions are executive decisions/functions . Councillors only have reserved functions. Sure the councillors can put pressure but the can't make them. you can pressure the councillors to pressure the council but you can't make them. Because councillors have very little power. only power to raise it. They admit this when they say "i raised it several times"

the councillors do not have the power to make them spend it. that is the whole point. several times i heard people ask councillors about some issue and they are told i raised that several times. what does that mean? it means they have no power except claiming to "get" a medical card. They are all part of the system at the end of the day. none of them will stick their neck out too far

Claiming is right..If a person is not entitled to a medical card,no one will get them one..No power at all.

Claiming is right..If a person is not entitled to a medical card,no one will get them one..No power at all.
    some people do not know that. i have heard people saying xxxxxx xxxxx got me a medical card. People need to wake up

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

some people do not know that. i have heard people saying xxxxxx xxxxx got me a medical card. People need to wake up

I have seen people struggle with application forms/etc and they have nobody to turn to apart from the local TD/councillor.
    They might speed up the process a little because the form mat get sent in correctly the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I think that houses are more important than saving someone from being delayed by a minute or two.

So more cars are going to feed onto an overly congested road already I wonder what the outcome of that will be?

The site is still up for sale so there won’t be houses there for a long time.

I have seen people struggle with application forms/etc and they have nobody to turn to apart from the local TD/councillor.
    They might speed up the process a little because the form might get sent in correctly the first time.
    Sad life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Is there anyone in clonmel that would have advise on online selling (ebay) etc looking at starting up an online selling business and would need advice off someone

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nadroir

Can we please please not get into the housing issue. Lots of other threads about it.......

nadroir wrote: »
    Can we please please not get into the housing issue. Lots of other threads about it.......
    no one forcing to you to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

So local Councillor = secretarial service. Absolutely true in many cases.

The number of people I hear of that still call our councillor to report issues with water supply or sewerage. All he can do is call the Irish Water help desk and lodge a ticket for them - his doing so doesn't add any urgency as to how quickly the problem will be resolved. Much the same with other infrastructure issues, they wouldn't dream of lodging a complaint via the council help desk themselves.

Some people seem utterly unable to help themselves.

As regards applications etc, there's always the Citizens' Information Centres who can give unbiased information and advice.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

So local Councillor = secretarial service. Absolutely true in many cases.

The number of people I hear of that still call our councillor to report issues with water supply or sewerage. All he can do is call the Irish Water help desk and lodge a ticket for them - his doing so doesn't add any urgency as to how quickly the problem will be resolved. .......

That's not true actually. I had no water for 48 hours, phoned Irish Water first, lodged the problem was given a number. Phoned back next day as no-one had contacted me, they expedited my problem and asked me to phone co council. I phoned co council, the women in the office couldn't give a flying f...k, they said its an irish water problem, they didn't want to know. I phoned the next day, 48 hours after initial phone call, and they expedited the expedited call - its a call centre, they hadn't a clue. I phoned Mattie McGrath's office, I don't agree with his politics but he gets stuff done and the co council were out to my house in 2 hours fixing the problem.

Councillors can get things done, you just have to hound them. Do hound them when they call to your doors and get them to hound the council to get the stuff you want done be it housing, justice, antisocial behavour, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm afraid your complaint would have been dealt with whether Deputy McGrath contacted Irish Water or not. In relation to Water & Sewerage complaints the Council are simply "contracted" by Irish Water to fix water leaks etc.

It begs a bigger question though, what was a TD doing getting involved in a local issue, that should be left to Local Councillors. But it is typical of our "parish pump politicians"

Yes it would have been dealt with but not within 2 hours - which is what happened when I contacted Mattie McGrath's office. And its not Mattie that makes the phone calls, its his office staff so there was no parish pump politics. The co council workers that came to my house said it was because of the phone call that they were there then, not irish water.

Our local politicians can do alot more than write letters and sympathise but we have to make them do more - its not good enough that they say they'll raise a problem - we should demand that they do something about the problem.

Yes it would have been dealt with but not within 2 hours - which is what happened when I contacted Mattie McGrath's office. And its not Mattie that makes the phone calls, its his office staff so there was no parish pump politics. The co council workers that came to my house said it was because of the phone call that they were there then, not irish water.

Our local politicians can do alot more than write letters and sympathise but we have to make them do more - its not good enough that they say they'll raise a problem - we should demand that they do something about the problem.

Absolute bulls**t !! And I can say that because I could have been the one at the end of your call or Matties, but as you say, we couldn't give a flying f**k.
    Doesn't matter if Mattie McGrath or Mati Hari phones, the repair will not be done any quicker or slower.
    I wish people would realise that they will get what they are entitled to without any interference from the politicians. My advise would be to talk to the Council/Health Board/Irish Water or call in to Citizens Advise and you will get much further much quicker.

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Absolute bulls**t !! And I can say that because I could have been the one at the end of your call or Matties, but as you say, we couldn't give a flying f**k.

No its not bs. And the women in that office were rude and unhelpful and couldnt care less. Now maybe I got them on a bad day but they just said contact irish water. I tried for 48 hours, Matties office got them to my door in less than 2. That is not bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yes it would have been dealt with but not within 2 hours - which is what happened when I contacted Mattie McGrath's office. And its not Mattie that makes the phone calls, its his office staff so there was no parish pump politics.
    Not Mattie??, you've attributed it to him and it was his staff so :confused:

Hate to break it to ya but this is exactly what parish pump politics is...
    I phoned Mattie McGrath's office, I don't agree with his politics but he gets stuff done and the co council were out to my house in 2 hours fixing the problem.

Yes that's how it works even though his views on a lot of national issues are absolutely toilet they are overlooked in favor for the backslap on a simple local issue.

Yes that's how it works even though his views on a lot of national issues are absolutely toilet they are overlooked in favor for the backslap on a simple local issue.

I agree with your opinion of him on national issues 100%

The point I was making, obviously badly, was that his office, not him personally contacted the co council and made a representation on my behalf.

I shouldn't have had to phone his office if Irish water/co council had followed through and contacted me - but in my case, that system just didn't work for me.

What I was trying to say, 10 posts ago, was that our councillors / TDs can do more and we should insist they do more for all of us on a range of issues - like housing, traveller cruelty on animals, etc, its too easy to say they are all the same and not bother.

No its not bs. And the women in that office were rude and unhelpful and couldnt care less. Now maybe I got them on a bad day but they just said contact irish water. I tried for 48 hours, Matties office got them to my door in less than 2. That is not bs.

I can guarantee that Mattie didn't get your water problem fixed.

You were the only one with a water problem ?

No I wasn't, there was a few houses in a row but from memory I think I was the only one that rang irish water.

Honestly, I don't care who got the water on, at least it came back. I was just trying to say we shouldn't let our public representatives slide on any issue, be it localised or national, IMO we shouldn't be apathetic and say they are all the same - we need to elect representatives with a more positive attitude and action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Happy Easter. Very nice outside so hope ye are all having a nice day.

That's not true actually. I had no water for 48 hours, phoned Irish Water first, lodged the problem was given a number. Phoned back next day as no-one had contacted me, they expedited my problem and asked me to phone co council. I phoned co council, the women in the office couldn't give a flying f...k, they said its an irish water problem, they didn't want to know. I phoned the next day, 48 hours after initial phone call, and they expedited the expedited call - its a call centre, they hadn't a clue. I phoned Mattie McGrath's office, I don't agree with his politics but he gets stuff done and the co council were out to my house in 2 hours fixing the problem.

Councillors can get things done, you just have to hound them. Do hound them when they call to your doors and get them to hound the council to get the stuff you want done be it housing, justice, antisocial behavour, etc
    your mistake was speaking to some woman in an office. mattie obviously went higher. had you gone higher and not accepted people who could not give a f*** you would have got results. I have been in such a situation and did not need mattie and i got the issue solved quickly with two different councils on two different occasions. people who told you it was matties call probably his voters

Happy Easter. Very nice outside so hope ye are all having a nice day.

Same to you. Just been to the garden center. Had a lovely fresh scone and a cuppa on the patio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Vizzy wrote: »
    I can guarantee that Mattie didn't get your water problem fixed.

You were the only one with a water problem ?

The water services repairs in Clonmel are carried out by Tipperary Co Co staff, not Irish Water.

A number of the workers who do the fixing are neighbour of Matties. He would also have numbers of engineers/overseers etc. I can easily see how a phone call to Mattie would speed up a water issue

• Advertisement

The water services repairs in Clonmel are carried out by Tipperary Co Co staff, not Irish Water.

A number of the workers who do the fixing are neighbour of Matties. He would also have numbers of engineers/overseers etc. I can easily see how a phone call to Mattie would speed up a water issue

Water service repairs are carried out by Council workers on behalf of Irish Water throughout the country. That's the way it works now.

If you believe Mattie solved the problem, then fair enough. I'll leave it at that.

Advertisement