Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'll pm you in a day or 2.
    Only got 1 today.

Thanks. I know the owner of one of the shops, so I’d feel a bit obliged to buy there if I met him when I was in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jlm29 wrote: »
    Thanks. I know the owner of one of the shops, so I’d feel a bit obliged to buy there if I met him when I was in!

I'll be your spy :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

klose wrote: »
    I sympathise with them but citing the minimum wage increase is laughable, you'd pay people less only it's the law basically. If you can't afford to pay people a decent wage you can't afford a business IMO.

That’s over half the grocery shops in the country closing so

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

jlm29 wrote: »

I’m sure there won’t be much of a price difference. Maybe €5 - €10. Is that worth shopping around & not supporting someone you know’s business?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Iceman1984 wrote: »
    I’m sure there won’t be much of a price difference. Maybe €5 - €10. Is that worth shopping around & not supporting someone you know’s business?

I wasn’t sure what the price difference would be, that’s why I asked. It’s not my best friends business, just someone I have a past connection to, so I don’t have an undying loyalty to them. Either way, they’re both local businesses, I don’t have a problem supporting one over the other, I have gone to both places in the past, and couldn’t fault either.

And given that you don’t know me or my financial circumstances, I don’t know why you would assume that €5-€10 doesn’t matter to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Anyone know where the growhouse was found?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mossie11

Can anyone recommend A good Accountant in the Clonmel area to sort out an underpayment of PAYE Tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

mossie11 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend A good Accountant in the Clonmel area to sort out an underpayment of PAYE Tax...

The best accountant in Clonmel is Marie Lane, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cml387 wrote: »

It was on the “North Side” according to the post online. God the place is very Dublinised with its north and south sides :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Qreq wrote: »
    I haven't been there, however, their website doesn't mention snooker. There is a pool table in the picture gallery.
    http://www.hotshotsbowling.com/gallery.html#PhotoSwipe1581095066902

I was there two weeks ago for a family event. The pool table is downstairs, beside the air hockey table, with LOADS of people milling around. No chance of playing a decent game on it. You'd constantly be worried about the cue taking a kids eye out as it ran past (never mind all the noise there too)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 GerPen2015

cml387 wrote: »

The 26 grand one was up by Knacker hill by the rugby club Ard Na Sidhe or something , and another found up in cherrymount i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

GerPen2015 wrote: »
    The 26 grand one was up by Knacker hill by the rugby club Ard Na Sidhe or something , and another found up in cherrymount i think

Ard Na Sidhe up the Cashel Road , Chestnut Avenue i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Plannning Permisssion Refused, Todays Irish Times

An Bord Pleanála has refused planning permission for 146 dwellings at Clonmel, Co Tipperary.

In respect of the Crann Ard Developments proposal for Clonmel, the board inspector recommended outright planning refusal for the entire development.
    The inspector, Stephen Rhys Thomas recommended refusal, concluding the development as proposed results in a poor design concept, lacks variety and distinctiveness, fails to establish a sense of place, and includes a poor quality of architectural and landscape design that fails to respond appropriately to the site.

Mr Thomas also found that the development does not provide high quality and usable open spaces . . . and provides poorly configured private amenity spaces in many cases, “all of which would lead to conditions injurious to the residential amenities of future occupants”.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Where was that planning for and I'm sure the homeless are delighted with that decision. Who wants to live in a house that lacks variety and distinctivenss, doesn't establish a sense of place and poor design of open space. That decision will keep them warm while they sleep in the snow.

Where was that planning for

Ard Crann before Boherduff on the Fethard Road. A fairly damnig report by the Planning Authority.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see they've cut away a load of trees near the railway tracks at the turn off towards marlified just before the cahir road roundabout. We need to be conserving nature not hacking away at it.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Ard Crann before Boherduff on the Fethard Road. A fairly damnig report by the Planning Authority.

Yes but why - we need housing, not pretty houses, just houses - why do they keep refusing planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Yes but why - we need housing, not pretty houses, just houses - why do they keep refusing planning.

There’s no point in firing up houses without actually planning them or we will end up in a crap situation 10 15 years down the line with anti social behaviour etc due to a lack of space and facilities.

klose wrote: »
    I see they've cut away a load of trees near the railway tracks at the turn off towards marlified just before the cahir road roundabout. We need to be conserving nature not hacking away at it.

A group of Tipperary landowners claim they are being forced by Irish Rail to remove hedgerows.

Members of the Save Our Hedgerows group held a demonstration at Nicholastown railway gates between Cahir and Clonmel last night on the Limerick – Waterford line.

They say within the space of a couple of days, hundreds of metres of ancient hedgerows have been mulched and replaced with a concrete-post fence.

PRO with the group PJ O’Meara says many landowners have felt pressured by Irish Rail to remove the ditches.....
    From Tipp FM news last December..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

F34 wrote: »
    There’s no point in firing up houses without actually planning them or we will end up in a crap situation 10 15 years down the line with anti social behaviour etc due to a lack of space and facilities.

And Crann Ard is already heading that way, even with the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

pooch90 wrote: »

Not to mention how many homes are already there with one access point, adding more would have been chaotic, I looked at the plans and the new homes seemed totally squashed on top of each other. Maybe this will mean more suitable plans will be drawn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

I noticed a lot of houses for there have been for sale lately

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

These wouldn’t have been cheap houses at all, or free to the homeless, they’d be expensive and probably overpriced and people would have no choice but to buy them as houses aren’t being built at the speed we need, so it would not be a nice place to live. And the majority of units look like landlord spec units.

Deminiman wrote: »
    These wouldn’t have been cheap houses at all, or free to the homeless, they’d be expensive and probably overpriced and people would have no choice but to buy them as houses aren’t being built at the speed we need, so it would not be a nice place to live.

I didn't think they would be cheap or for the homeless - my initial point was that the knockback from An Bord Pleanla was that they weren't pretty and no green space around them - it didn't say that the plans for the houses were poor but I do agree with all the posts above that the area probably shouldn't have more houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

What's the difference in a house that makes it landlord spec? I've seen planning applications go in recently that look like shoeboxes on top of each other and you'd have to wonder if there's 4 bedrooms upstairs then there could be 5+ people living in the house and the living spaces downstairs look very tight.
    The housing crisis is a huge problem but if developers are "allowed" to make fast money on the back of it then the planners are the ones who'll be blamed if it causes problems down the road.

Deminiman wrote: »
    These wouldn’t have been cheap houses at all, or free to the homeless, they’d be expensive and probably overpriced and people would have no choice but to buy them as houses aren’t being built at the speed we need, so it would not be a nice place to live. And the majority of units look like landlord spec units.

At least a local authority would not submit such a flawed planning application.

Good to know that we have a watchdog that will at least be looking out for developments that might evolve into hovels or ghettos or slums at some stage in the future.

I am sure that many developers will take note of this planning decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I make that four big housing developments for Clonmel that has been turned down by planning authorites in recent times, anyone would think there was no shortage.

tippspur wrote: »
    I make that four big housing developments for Clonmel that has been turned down by planning authorites in recent times, anyone would think there was no shortage.

And this is the point I was trying to make. Surely developers would have talks with planning before the application goes in and the planners would tell them what they will accept/reject - we need housing and maybe the planners need to be more proactive so that delays don't happen.

tippspur wrote: »

Obviously there is no acute shortage of accomodation to rent in Clonmel. There are 48 rent pressure zones in the country and Clonmel is not one of them.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/during-a-tenancy/rent-review-in-a-rent-pressure-zone-rpz/where-are-rent-pressure-zones/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Can you explain what you mean by this, my sister lives in the area and I havnt heard her say anything bad about it. Seems very quiet, although some of the houses look very ‘rented’ and could do with a paint job and a decent garden tidy up.

Advertisement