Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Saw a fella walking up O'Connell St and on up to Irishtown wearing a face mask this afternoon.

This sh1t's just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Expunge wrote: »
    Saw a fella walking up O'Connell St and on up to Irishtown wearing a face mask this afternoon.

Wonder what was so urgent that he couldn’t just stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

You can’t get hand gel in the town

A mask is only useful if the wearer is infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

A mask is only useful if the wearer is infected.

Indeed. A fine big strapping healthy looking lad he was too.

Maybe he was coming from a demolition site and forgot to take off his mask!

• Advertisement

I met a fella in the Show Grounds Centre yesterday, shopping with a mask...Maybe it was the same lad...If I even break wind now,Mrs Looby takes the temp..Now thats when a mask is really needed....Let ye all mind yourselves..The bread will get some lash if things get worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Be some robberys done with everyone wearing masks about lol

I met a fella in the Show Grounds Centre yesterday, shopping with a mask...Maybe it was the same lad...If I even break wind now,Mrs Looby takes the temp..Now thats when a mask is really needed....Let ye all mind yourselves..The bread will get some lash if things get worse..

Just make sure that it’s not the dogs thermometer she uses!

Just make sure that it’s not the dogs thermometer she uses!

😊😊😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You can’t get hand gel in the town

You can't get hand santizer gel anywhere at the moment. People panic buying and lads buying them by the cases and selling them on done deal €50 a bottle.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    You can't get hand santizer gel anywhere at the moment. People panic buying and lads buying them by the cases and selling them on done deal €50 a bottle.

Have you seen them at that price on Donedeal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have you seen them at that price on Donedeal?

Yep, some going for €20 on there as well if you want.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yep, some going for €20 on there as well if you want.

No..I dont want any..I just had a look,and some are clearly a joke..A guy in wexford selling half a bottle for 100 euro...Theres always someone trying to make a few bob alright..

No..I dont want any..I just had a look,and some are clearly a joke..A guy in wexford selling half a bottle for 100 euro...Theres always someone trying to make a few bob alright..

Anything over €5 is a joke to be honest, messers or not there will be lads trying to profit from this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Any truth to stgh being in lockdown for covid 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

lollsangel wrote: »
    Any truth to stgh being in lockdown for covid 19?

I heard they had put visitor restrictions in place as a precautionary measure, but that nobody actually has it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

And this is the point I was trying to make. Surely developers would have talks with planning before the application goes in and the planners would tell them what they will accept/reject - we need housing and maybe the planners need to be more proactive so that delays don't happen.

Let's not forget that during the so called Celtic tiger years, "developers" were throwing up houses everywhere and in many cases residents have been left with huge bills to fix the issues because of the shortcuts taken.

Developers are trying to take advantage of the homelessness crisis by putting in plans for sub- standard developments, knowing that if plans are refused, they can blame the planning board.

Typical paddywhackery "Sure aren't we trying to build de feckin houses and them lot in the council are refusing us all left, right and centre. It's a wonder any of us have a house to live in at all, at all, begorrah. It's the poor oul developer I feel sorry for. Hasn't two cents to rub together the poor cratur"

jlm29 wrote: »
    I heard they had put visitor restrictions in place as a precautionary measure, but that nobody actually has it

This, they don't want it and are protecting their staff and existing patients.

Why anyone would want to put themselves and their children at risk by dragging them up to the hospital is beyond me. 15 mins and leave - patients are sick, they don't want 1000's of visitors roaring and shouting and causing havoc and the staff don't want to have to work around you.

A bit of cop on and good hygiene and we'll all be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Most locals know that the footfall in Clonmel has dropped very significantly in recent years.

To arrest this trend all of Clomel there should be free parking in all areas on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Most locals know that the footfall in Clonmel has dropped very significantly in recent years.

To arrest this trend all of Clomel there should be free parking in all areas on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Not much point in having free parking when the shops aren’t there, unless you are into second hand or discount shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not much point in having free parking when the shops aren’t there, unless you are into second hand or discount shops.

This x100, I've no issue paying a couple euro to park in town to do some shopping if there was a couple shops to browse, its embarrassing walking around with half the shops closed up.

I'm taking this at an incredibly simplistic view but surely slashing rents for vacant units is much more profitable than having them sitting idle?

I've often said market place would be ideal for restaurant and bars set up like shop street in galway with outdoor seating for drinks and food

I was down O’Connell Street yesterday evening and it was empty of people and shops. It’s embarrassing. Even the recent Nationwide episodes bypassed Clonmel, we got one mention and a photo of the Main Guard - we are the County town and are becoming irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

So what do you suggest. Take to action and let things deteriorate further ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    So what do you suggest. Take to action and let things deteriorate further ?

I think that the horse has already bolted. It’s years ago things like Rates should have been adjusted to encourage shops to stay. Out of Town Malls seem to be the thing. Clonmel isn’t alone in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

There was talk a few years ago of Market place becoming something like Kildare village. I've never been to Kildare village but am aware of it's popularity thanks to SM and it's proximity to Dublin but also to the motorway networks is probably it's critical success factor, but marketing has made it a huge success.

I do remember when Dove hill opened outside Carrick there were similar plans to have outlets, which have worked to some degree, it's a nice out of town shopping and dining centre that's a bit more upmarket and unusual than the brightly lit electronics superstores and fast food drive thrus but still has 3-4 empty units on one whole side of it.

I don't know what the solution is for the market place in Clonmel but I'm sure if someone can get it right again it will probably drive footfall to the rest of the town again. They could be lazy and copy the big cities by naming it the something quarter. Or someone with creativity could come up with something new and unique

The parade in Clonmel will not go ahead, Tipperary County Council have announced
    @rtenews on Twitter

I feel sorry for the children who put so much effort into it but its the right thing to do - plus 3pm is too late for a parade, the children are freezing at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

jlm29 wrote: »

Not saying anyone who posted here is doing it, but the amount of people getting their info from Facebook is boggling. I'm actually unfollowing people who keep tagging me in fake news stories complete with "OMG"'s aplenty!!

Edit: jlm29, just using your post to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Hi all. Looking for a recommendation for someone who cleans gutters and fascia please. Am in Clonmel town. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

Clonmel struggling big time particularly with small independent retailers. Biggest issue is poor planning as the town has no hub to it.

Big supermarkets drive footfall & all of them were granted their own sites with no consideration for the small independents that need the passing trade.

The town will always be quiet until the day a supermarket opens back up there with adequate parking & a comprehensive traffic management plan. Showgrounds similar, m&s are not a strong enough grocery anchor and until the day a strong anchor takes residency there then we will see empty units & struggling businesses.

Poppyfield probably the best set up at the moment & Supervalu have exclusivity over any potential independent grocery retailers so that restricts it a bit.

Nightlife & dining a similar situation, everything far too spread out. People want to go somewhere where their meal, pub & night club are all in walking distance with a good buzz in the area. This area doesn’t exist in the town & a lot of people go to Cashel, Kilkenny & Dungarvan for nights out.

Advertisement