Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

I think that the horse has already bolted. It’s years ago things like Rates should have been adjusted to encourage shops to stay. Out of Town Malls seem to be the thing. Clonmel isn’t alone in this.

Let’s be honest about it if reducing rates by 1k a year or so was a deciding factor in staying open or not then the business is already on its knees. Clonmel hasn’t even a proper out of town mall or shopping centre. We are way behind neighbouring towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Iceman1984 wrote: »
    Clonmel struggling big time particularly with small independent retailers. Biggest issue is poor planning as the town has no hub to it.

Big supermarkets drive footfall & all of them were granted their own sites with no consideration for the small independents that need the passing trade.

The town will always be quiet until the day a supermarket opens back up there with adequate parking & a comprehensive traffic management plan. Showgrounds similar, m&s are not a strong enough grocery anchor and until the day a strong anchor takes residency there then we will see empty units & struggling businesses.

Poppyfield probably the best set up at the moment & Supervalu have exclusivity over any potential independent grocery retailers so that restricts it a bit.

Nightlife & dining a similar situation, everything far too spread out. People want to go somewhere where their meal, pub & night club are all in walking distance with a good buzz in the area. This area doesn’t exist in the town & a lot of people go to Cashel, Kilkenny & Dungarvan for nights out.
    Kilkenny is the place to be.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Most locals know that the footfall in Clonmel has dropped very significantly in recent years.

To arrest this trend all of Clomel there should be free parking in all areas on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
    I'm sure the council will take good note of an anonymous internet post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Kilkenny is the place to be.

Thanks for that.

Clonmel people are probably clonmels biggest enemies at this stage. A lot of them living in a bubble that clonmels problems are unique to Clonmel and somehow everywhere else is better than Clonmel.

The amount of negativity you hear towards the town mainly originates from locals. In fact the town is aesthetically one of the nicest in the country with lovely views coming in to town from all sides. Yes the town centre has taken a hit as retail has changed and yes there have been some bad planning decisions. I’d also argue that continually electing negative TDS to the dail and indeed locally doesent help but that’s on other days work. Kilkenny and clonmel can’t really be compared. Kilkenny is a fine town and one of Ireland’s premier tourist resorts. It had that tourist buzz that a lot of similar sized towns don’t have. Mullingar doesent Tullamore doesn’t Portlaoise doesn’t.

There’s actually quite a decent range of shops in clonmel especially in clothing. What the town badly lacks is a centre of town focus such as the clonmel arms or a shipping street where Market Place was. Neither easily fixed as we’ve seen. There’s quite a decent range of restaurants Manis The bunker Befanis Gailleo to name a few almost along side each other and some decent pubs.

The blue way is a wonderful addition to the town also and hopefully will continue to grow. I regularly hear of people complain about small local business closing whilst continually shopping in large retail stores or worse on line. You reap what you sow I’m afraid. Is there problems in Clonmel yes of course there is but the high street is dieing everywhere. I’d encourage people to shop and spend local where possible and be proud and promote your own town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

There’s actually quite a decent range of shops in clonmel especially in clothing. What the town badly lacks is a centre of town focus such as the clonmel arms or a shopping street where Market Place was. Neither easily fixed as we’ve seen. There’s quite a decent range of restaurants Manis The bunker Befanis Gailleo to name a few almost along side each other and some decent pubs.

To those who see the glass half full the horse has never bolted but rather it needs to be re- incentivised and be put back into harness again.

Some on this forum will remember when urban renewal was first introduced for the bigger towns and cities. A fundamental mistake was made as Rural renewal should have preceded Urban renewal. As rural towns were left decimated as all the capital expenditure was attracted to the larger cities.

We now see how this resulted in a homeless crisis and a crisis resulting of the unavailability and the exorbitant price of rental accommodation.

In 1993 Charlie McCreevy T.D., Minister For Finance, had some good ideas on decentralisation, however his ideas were never a chance they had no support from rural T.Ds looking back at that time I don’t think it is an exageration to say that his ideas were laughed out of court at the time, rural T.D.s simply did not have the vision to support him, they were asleep at the wheel when hie ideas were mooted.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Is the whole of Clonmel’s electricity not working or just Kickham street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Is the whole of Clonmel’s electricity not working or just Kickham street
    It was out in Irishtown all afternoon but seems to be back here now (fingers crossed...)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Shopping update: was in Marks and Lidl this evening.
    Shelves are a bit bare in places but no major shortages. I note that Lidl were limiting toilet rolls to two per customer.Frozen food looks a bit bare in Lidl.
    No sign of panic (I believe it may have been different earlier in the day).
    Calm down everyone.

Aldi in Carrick is empty I have been told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Went to dunnes today for a weekly shop and they were out of near everything, people are fcuking stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Went to dunnes today for a weekly shop and they were out of near everything, people are fcuking stupid.
    it's unbelievable, I was in Dunnes Davis road just before lunch and it was like Xmas eve, front car park packed no spaces went anoud the back and that was the same, had to drive around in circles until someone pulled out of a space. crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

tippspur wrote: »
    it's unbelievable, I was in Dunnes Davis road just before lunch and it was like Xmas eve, front car park packed no spaces went anoud the back and that was the same, had to drive around in circles until someone pulled out of a space. crazy stuff.

I went in to Aldi in Carrick on Suir at about 6:30 this evening on the way back from Waterford for a couple of small bits. I walked in with an empty trolley and walked out with an empty trolley, can't ever remember that happening before. Absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

dieselbug wrote: »
    I went in to Aldi in Carrick on Suir at about 6:30 this evening on the way back from Waterford for a couple of small bits. I walked in with an empty trolley and walked out with an empty trolley, can't ever remember that happening before. Absolute nonsense.

Apparently super valu was fully stocked at 6pm.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Apparently super value was fully stocked at 6pm.

I tried the filling station across the road which is usually well stocked and not a crumb of bread to be got. I considered going to Super value but didn't because I expected the same. Anyway I don't expect I'l starve or should I? Could anyone spare a few slices please, just enough for a couple of sandwiches.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I tried the filling station across the road which is usually well stocked and not a crumb of bread to be got. I considered going to Super value but didn't because I expected the same. Anyway I don't expect I'l starve or should I? Could anyone spare a few slices please, just enough for a couple of sandwiches.:(
    I have an unopened slice pan. BBE tomorrow. Ten yo yos.

To thine own self be true

Obviously everyone can only afford to panic buy with the Germans. My friend said no queues and fully stocked SV at 6pm. But no, you shouldn’t expect to starve, people will eventually stop shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

:D

Funnily enough over the next few days there's going to be a lot of food dumped after people unnecessarily stockpiling the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I was in Lidl about an hour ago - busy but not manic - little frozen food left but plenty of everything else and they are constantly restocking the shelves. I just did a normal shop - no point buying mad if the food is perishable and won't last.

I know a few older people that didnt know that ST.Peters and Paul church broadcast mass on the radio on 108 fm..They,and St.Marys Irishtown also have a live webcam feed..Just in case anyone here,or parents/relations had a worry about the Church not open to the public for mass...

Yes, result at last and what a result!!! I got a Hickeys brown sliced pan (top pan imo) in Dunnes davis road this evening.Going to make a couple of sandwiches and tempted to put the rest on ebay slice by slice.

Speaking to a member of staff who said the store is empty of stock. Next problem is dog food, not a bag of pedigree chum to be had

• Advertisement

I know this is a crazy question, and i know the answer is “hahahaha, not a chance”, but has anyone seen hand sanitizer anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know a few older people that didnt know that ST.Peters and Paul church broadcast mass on the radio on 108 fm..They,and St.Marys Irishtown also have a live webcam feed..Just in case anyone here,or parents/relations had a worry about the Church not open to the public for mass...

Yes, St Mary’s did a live web cast at 6.15 tonight’s, St. Peter’s and Paul’s did 7.30, more tomorrow, I bet loads of people will be very relieved. It’s so important to some people that it’s great modern technology let’s them still ‘attend’

solerina wrote: »
    Yes, St Mary’s did a live web cast at 6.15 tonight’s, St. Peter’s and Paul’s did 7.30, more tomorrow, I bet loads of people will be very relieved. It’s so important to some people that it’s great modern technology let’s them still ‘attend’

Most parishes have an online presence nowadays and broadcast Sunday mass, funeral masses ets.

It’s also on tv for the less tech savvy folks. My FIL was a great attender if the RTE service on Sunday for his last few months!

It’s also on tv for the less tech savvy folks. My FIL was a great attender if the RTE service on Sunday for his last few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

jlm29 wrote: »
    I know this is a crazy question, and i know the answer is “hahahaha, not a chance”, but has anyone seen hand sanitizer anywhere?

Pretty much answered your own question there. Nor any antibacterial handwashing.

Recliner wrote: »
    Pretty much answered your own question there. Nor any antibacterial handwashing.

I don’t mind the antibacterial, normal soap and water is fine. Just thought someone might have heard of it being due in somewhere maybe! I’ll keep looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Yes, result at last and what a result!!! I got a Hickeys brown sliced pan (top pan imo) in Dunnes davis road this evening.Going to make a couple of sandwiches and tempted to put the rest on ebay slice by slice.

Speaking to a member of staff who said the store is empty of stock. Next problem is dog food, not a bag of pedigree chum to be had

They'll get more stock in on Monday as usual like every other supermarket and shop.

marvin80 wrote: »
    They'll get more stock in on Monday as usual like every other supermarket and shop.

I don't doubt it for a minute, my comments are made with a lot of tongue in cheek.
    The irony of all this panic buying is that the actual shopping exercise in crowded supermarkets is raising substantially your possible exposure to any virus. ie if you want to increase your chances of catching it AND spreading it hang around in crowds and where better than a crowded supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

For those who'd like links:
    SS Peter and Paul's webcam https://www.churchservices.tv/clonmelpeterpaul

SS Peter and Paul's parish newsletters https://parishsspeterandpaul.blogspot.com/

St. Mary's webcam and other services https://stmarysparishclonmel.ie/online-services

If you'd like to find a webcam of a church in another town, just type the town name into the search box at https://www.churchservices.tv/. Fethard will give you one webcam result for example.

Advertisement