Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

Xenophile wrote: »
    Maher Family to open Coffee Shop at the Post Office in Kilsheelan, shortly.

Best of luck to them.Kilsheelan still only a village though popluation has increased in the past few years.Lots of traffic passing through the village to Waterford will help as some will stop for a break I'm sure.

Looks like McDonalds is open again in town. Filthy animals :(

On a side note, Fieldmaster are clearing out the store in Parnell St. another shop gone.

They are in the Gortnaflur buisness park .

cml387 wrote: »
    Tesco are pulling out of their petrol station. Someone else is taking over.

Just going to be a petrol station (card only at pumps,so I'm told).No shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

bmc58 wrote: »
    Best of luck to them.Kilsheelan still only a village though popluation has increased in the past few years.Lots of traffic passing through the village to Waterford will help as some will stop for a break I'm sure.

Hopefully it will be of benefit to the people using the Blueway - if they advertise it I’m sure they will get plenty of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Hopefully it will be of benefit to the people using the Blueway - if they advertise it I’m sure they will get plenty of interest.

It will be an added attraction to Blueway walkers and cyclists . Of course may will be very happy to have toilet facilities. Many retired people will be glad to sit down and rest for awhile.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Who are the streets named after.

listing of Clonmel Town Centre streets, and their previous names.

CURRENT NAME

O’Neill Street New Street (1843)
    Mary Street
    Our Ladye Streete (c. 1603-41)
    Church Lane (1700’s
    O’Connell Street
    Named for Daniel O’Connell, the “Emancipator”.
    Main Street (1843)
    High Street
    Wolfe Tone Street
    Named for Wolfe Tone, patriot
    Gordon Street (1843
    Sarsfield Street
    Named for Patrick Sarsfield, a general in the army which fought William of Orange.
    Boate StreetDuncan Street (1843) to commemorate the victory over the Dutch fleet of Admiral Duncan, Lord Camperdown
    Queen St Dispensary Street (1843)
    Gladstone Street
    Named for William Gladstone, in 1886, British Prime Minister, who did much to relieve the plight of Irish tenants.
    Lough StreetBreech Street (the top end where the Cromwellian breach of the walls happened).
    Jail Street (The jail was opposite Peter & Paul’s Church).

Johnson Street named in 1798 (to 1886), in compliment to Sir Henry Johnson, Colonel of the 5th Foot, who ‘defeated the insurgents at Ross’.

Market Street Moreton Street
    Martyr Lane
    Fruitmarket (1843)
    Meeting House Lane
    Mitchel Street Dublin Street (1843)
    Sheelane Street
    Hawke Street, after British admiral, Edward Hawke
    Parnell Street
    Named for Charles Stewart Parnell, in 1886,
    the “uncrowned King of Ireland”. Previously,
    the local landlords (Bagwells) had it named
    after themselves.
    Bagwell Street (1843-1886)
    Jervis Place
    Named after an admiral, not so much for his military prowess, as for his support for Catholic Emancipation.
    Emmet Street
    Named for Robert Emmet, patriot.
    Gaol Street (1843)
    Emmet Street (top part) New Jail Street Richmond Street (later Place) on the visit of the duke of that name to the town in 1808
    Kickham Street (oldest part)
    Named after Charles Kickham
    Penitentiary Street (1843)
    Kickham Street ( along by both schools)
    Blind Street (1843)
    Kickham Street (cinema – Gladstone St)
    Charles Street (1843)
    Albert Street (O’Neill Street – St Marys Place) Borheens (1843)
    Albert Street (St. Mary’s Place – Cantwell Street) Caher Street (1843)
    Dillon Street/Thomas Street Barrack Street (1843)
    Stephen Street
    College Avenue Duckett Street (1843) & later, lower part was
    renamed Rivers St
    Dr. Croke Place
    Named after Dr. Croke, who founded the GAA. Previously named after Prince Edward, heir to the throne of England. It was proposed to rename it ‘Pearse Place’, in 1922, after the Civil War.
    Wellington Street (part of, in 1843) Regent’s TerracePrince Edward’s Place
    Waterford Road (road to Gashouse Bridge) Northumberland Street (1843)
    Abbey Street Warren Street (1843)
    “Dry” Bridge at Old Bridge Goaten Bridge (1843) – the island was then known as Goat Island
    Wellington Street Named after the Duke of Wellington, supposedly for his support for Catholic
    Emancipation rather than his military prowess.

Grattan Place
    Named for Henry Grattan
    Had been part of New Street, in 1843. Also named Coronation Row.
    Nelson Street
    Named after Lord Nelson, victor at Trafalgar.

For a while, streets in Clonmel were named
    after victorious British naval commanders.
    no previous name

Anglesea Street Banfield’s Buildings
    Named Anglesea Street for the Battle of Anglesey
    Davis Row/Road/Avenue Named for Thomas Davis
    Morton Street In 1795, the firm of Thomas and
    Samuel Morton began the erectionof a brewery and stores in Morton Street (long known as Brewery Lane) on a scal e equal to the Cork and Dublin breweries.
    Bolton Street
    Named after Duke of Bolton
    Weavers Row. Weavers had been brought in from England, and had a thriving business in Clonmel.
    Catherine Street
    William Street
    Peter Street Blind Street, because it led to the west wall of the
    town, but had no exit to the outside.
    Emmet Street New Jail Street
    Richmond Street (after a visit by Duke of Richmond, in 1808).
    Duckett Street Named after William Duckett, solicitor, in 1813. He built the street.
    Rivers Street After Patrick Rivers, who had owned the land on which the street was built.
    Colville Road After William Colville, a Corn Merchant, originally from Dublin.
    Staunton Row Always part of Upper Gladstone Street, even though named after Thomas Staunton.

Clonmel streets named after ?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

While going around the Showgrounds Shopping centre, it is noticeable the great efforts those running the place and the various businesses have made re: hygiene and social distancing.

But then, outside Easons two things stick out like a sore, unclean thumb...

The Peppa Pig merry go round thing and the Lotto stand, complete with well thumbed lotto slips and two pens to mark them with.

While I sat in BBs Coffee Shop I saw three groups of children come and use Peppa Pig over a 30 minute period. No cleaning of the thing took place between these groups of children.

2 individuals used the Lotto stand. I didn't see anyone from Eason come out to wipe down the pens in that time.

Am I missing something here? Surely those two things should be taken away.
    It makes a bit of a mockery of all the other (expensive) measures the Showgrounds have taken.

Expunge wrote: »

Am I missing something here? Surely those two things should be taken away.
    It makes a bit of a mockery of all the other (expensive) measures the Showgrounds have taken.

Well, it's just that it's not practical for attendants to go around cleaning up after us. They can do their best by providing hand sanitisers and perspex barriers and whatnot, but at the end of the day, it's our responsibility to wash and sanitise our hands.

I saw a guy picking up packets of refrigerated meat a few weeks ago, having a look & a think, and putting them back, and I felt like saying 'would you stop pawing everything?' But after reminding myself that I'm not the Guards, remembered that it's my job to clean my hands.

I think as I'm typing something obvious like that it makes me sound passive-aggressive, which isn't the way I intend it. It's a normal reaction to want to see store furniture being cleaned, but there's a limit to what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Well, it's just that it's not practical for attendants to go around cleaning up after us. They can do their best by providing hand sanitisers and perspex barriers and whatnot, but at the end of the day, it's our responsibility to wash and sanitise our hands.

I saw a guy picking up packets of refrigerated meat a few weeks ago, having a look & a think, and putting them back, and I felt like saying 'would you stop pawing everything?' But after reminding myself that I'm not the Guards, remembered that it's my job to clean my hands.

I think as I'm typing something obvious like that it makes me sound passive-aggressive, which isn't the way I intend it. It's a normal reaction to want to see store furniture being cleaned, but there's a limit to what they can do.

The peppa pig yoke and the horsey thing are totally unnecessary though. I wouldn’t expect anyone to be cleaning them, They should just be removed altogether for the foreseeable. Tbh, even pre covid they got on my wick. My two yr old loves them, I can’t walk past them but he’s trying to bust out of the buggy to get at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,479 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It would be great if supermarkets didn’t put out manky looking meat to begin with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Xenophile wrote: »
    It will be an added attraction to Blueway walkers and cyclists . Of course may will be very happy to have toilet facilities. Many retired people will be glad to sit down and rest for awhile.

They always have Kilsheelan Village looking great with flowers etc.. - a nice stop along the Blueway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

marvin80 wrote: »
    They always have Kilsheelan Village looking great with flowers etc.. - a nice stop along the Blueway.

Indeed, we are so lucky to have such a lovely spot so close. We tend to take the area around us for granted and pine for foreign parts, but the Blueway walk in either direction from Kilsheelan is just beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

Anyone have any dealings with Tipp coco over Complaints regarding unruly Council tennents. They moved a traveller family into lovely house in Cascade park and since then. They've broken lockdown regulation haveing a big party. That was back when people weren't supposed to even go outside. Garda called three times that night. They've had their door kicked in by the drugs squad and drugs found in the house. Riding quad bikes all over the green areas. People are complaining but the council seem to be ignoring it.

They could stay out on that bypass 24 / 7 and stop them - why don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

They could stay out on that bypass 24 / 7 and stop them - why don't they?
    ask them why not

I see the guy who opened the pub in Limerick was closed down by the Gardai..I wonder if the Clerihan pub that reopened early is still open..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I see the guy who opened the pub in Limerick was closed down by the Gardai..I wonder if the Clerihan pub that reopened early is still open..

It is.

He only did that for attention / marketing. He knew they would close him down - IMO the guards have better things to do than police notoriety seekers like him.

On the other hand, if the Clerihan pub is still open he is doing it quietly and keeping his head down - smart man.

He only did that for attention / marketing. He knew they would close him down - IMO the guards have better things to do than police notoriety seekers like him.

On the other hand, if the Clerihan pub is still open he is doing it quietly and keeping his head down - smart man.

Quietly..He was in the papers,and was on live line and a few other radio stations...

• Advertisement

Quietly..He was in the papers,and was on live line and a few other radio stations...

I must have missed that bit - well..... I’ve no idea why he hasn’t been closed down - maybe he gets Chinese delivered for all patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I must have missed that bit - well..... I’ve no idea why he hasn’t been closed down - maybe he gets Chinese delivered for all patrons.

Has a local caterer providing food. Just as well as a meal is apparently as good as a vaccine for Covid especially if it’s a €9 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Has a local caterer providing food. Just as well as a meal is apparently as good as a vaccine for Covid especially if it’s a €9 one.

That's not what I heard. I was told he's microwaving Aldi dinners. Mind you it's at least third hard info so could very well be a load of bull.

`Where did the government get the €9 from? Its an odd amount, pardon the pun. And what does it matter whether they are eating or just drinking? They could order chips and never eat them? Odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

`Where did the government get the €9 from? Its an odd amount, pardon the pun. And what does it matter whether they are eating or just drinking? They could order chips and never eat them? Odd
    Eating might be to slow absorption of alcohol, so be less drunk, less likely to be messing breaking social distance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭touts

That's not what I heard. I was told he's microwaving Aldi dinners. Mind you it's at least third hard info so could very well be a load of bull.

He wouldn't be the only pub in the country doing that. Even before Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The original Intoxicating Liqour Act 1962 stipulates that a substantial meal in a pub that doesn’t normally serve food should reasonably cost five shillings, which was updated in 2003 by then Minister for Justice Michael McDowell to reflect the equivalent value in modern currency — €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

Fitzy is open. Use to be the Manor. He couldn't give a ****. Fri to Sun I think. Guys that are renting pubs might be gone in a few months anyway so they couldn't care less about the licence being objected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Kk333 wrote: »
    Fitzy is open. Use to be the Manor. He couldn't give a ****. Fri to Sun I think. Guys that are renting pubs might be gone in a few months anyway so they couldn't care less about the licence being objected to.

From the outside (cos I wouldn't be going in) he seemed to be doing it up a bit some months ago.

• Advertisement

Kk333 wrote: »

No food? So,why no visit by the Gardai I wonder.

Advertisement