Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

touts wrote: »
    Town seems very busy today. Lots of traffic about. Queues to get into Lidl. 45 minute wait for checkouts in Dunnes Davis Road. Don't know if things are picking up or if there is a sense of panic again.

I would have left - I'm glad to see the town busy but I hope they are all observing social distancing and using hand sanitisers.

Town seems very busy today. Lots of traffic about. Queues to get into Lidl. 45 minute wait for checkouts in Dunnes Davis Road. Don't know if things are picking up or if there is a sense of panic again.

I think that it’s a sense of panic. Penney’s, during the week was manic. Almost like Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

I would have left - I'm glad to see the town busy but I hope they are all observing social distancing and using hand sanitisers.

Actually regret not leaving Dunnes. Only realised how had and chaotic it was once I had a fairly full trolly. No social distancing at all. No one at the doors controlling numbers. Real free for all. Long queues up the aisles waiting for a till with people reaching across and between to get things off the shelves. Part of the problem is the till staff also. They go at about half the pace of staff in Lidl etc which slows things down considerably. The one on my till was having long leisurely chats with people passing through. Which is probably nice under different circumstances but not with 6 or 7 people waiting to get through.

Looking back on it now I feel really uncomfortable with what I just experienced. In contrast the Clothes section is very quite with very few people in it. They should look at taking some of that space for a new safe queue system for the grocery section.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,478 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I visited Davis Road Dunnes a few weeks ago. It wasn’t busy but they only had a few tills open and it took ages. There was also very little stock in the clothes section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Did you notice how the stocks of dettol and jacks paper were going. Always a good indicator:(:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Actually regret not leaving Dunnes. Only realised how had and chaotic it was once I had a fairly full trolly. No social distancing at all. No one at the doors controlling numbers. Real free for all. Long queues up the aisles waiting for a till with people reaching across and between to get things off the shelves. Part of the problem is the till staff also. They go at about half the pace of staff in Lidl etc which slows things down considerably. The one on my till was having long leisurely chats with people passing through. Which is probably nice under different circumstances but not with 6 or 7 people waiting to get through.

Looking back on it now I feel really uncomfortable with what I just experienced. In contrast the Clothes section is very quite with very few people in it. They should look at taking some of that space for a new safe queue system for the grocery section.

I honestly dread the tills in Dunnes.

It's so unbelievable aggravating, the constant hold ups simple due to waffling on and on about nothing, going through you're life story with every passing customer...

If it was quiet and nobody was behind you I wouldn't care, but I've seen the que stretch back as far as the isles and still they don't cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I visited Davis Road Dunnes a few weeks ago. It wasn’t busy but they only had a few tills open and it took ages. There was also very little stock in the clothes section.

The clothes stocks in any dunnes I’ve been in have been pretty poor all summer. Obviously their supplies have been affected. They definitely haven’t had the same selection as usual

Unfortunately its because most of our consumer goods come from China and when China closed down, that put paid to our supplies. Maybe we need to import less and export more. Anybody got a sewing machine :-)

I was in Dunnes on Sunday morning (Davis Road) doing some grocery shopping. Fairly busy but no queues worth talking about. Lady at the till friendly but efficient even helping to pack my shopping. Didn't notice any panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Anywhere in Clonmel where you can get some food and a pint

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Xenophile wrote: »
    Anywhere in Clonmel where you can get some food and a pint

As far as I know it’s all outdoor dining or takeaway at the moment so I don’t think so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Mulcahys doing it but with limited seating

Anyone else think town really busy yesterday and today - social distancing gone out the window as is the one person shopping rule

jkmanc1974 wrote: »

Anyone else think town really busy yesterday and today - social distancing gone out the window as is the one person shopping rule

The one person shopping rule is long gone in most places now.

I found Clonmel to poor regarding mask usage and staff in certain shops to be sloppy when I visited.

It’s not just clonmel i think. I was in Thurles yesterday, the shopping centre was quite busy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

It's pretty low at the moment in the local electoral area of Clonmel compared to Tipp town or Cashel which are a good bit higher.

COVID-19-Clonmel-Map.jpg

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what time Dunnes Stores will open in the morning please. Bank holiday Monday.

Thanks

Galileo is stopping doing takeaways for the next few weeks!

dieselbug wrote: »
    Hi all

Can anyone tell me what time Dunnes Stores will open in the morning please. Bank holiday Monday.

Thanks

I think it’s 10, but I’m not positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

dieselbug wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks
    https://www.dunnesstores.com/store-locator/stores/400

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Does anyone know if River Island is relocating or closing their store in Clonmel? In the planning application section of the nationalist newspaper today, a planning application has been sought for change of use of 77 and 78 O Connell street Clonmel which is River Island store from retail outlet to food hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Heard rumours a while back that Bunker were going in there. Something clearly in those rumors now it seems with this application.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Hopefully River Island is relocating and not closing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think a big spar like shop is going in there

klose wrote: »
    I think a big spar like shop is going in there

That’s actually great. Somewhere to pick up bread and milk etc is sorely missed from the centre of town since super Quinn/SuperValu closed

Anyone notice the house building is finally proceeding at the railway roundabout - hopefully this will be the start of many more to come.

From what I can work out River Island signed a 15 year lease in 2010.(If I’m reading things correctly).
    Hopefully they are just relocating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Unfortunately I’d heard about a month ago that Riber Island were closing. Hopefully just relocating actually be good to see them in showgounds even. The old dunnes unit nearly would have been ideal for a grocery store you’d have thought.

Unfortunately I’d heard about a month ago that Riber Island were closing. Hopefully just relocating actually be good to see them in showgounds even. The old dunnes unit nearly would have been ideal for a grocery store you’d have thought.

Would that nearly be to big for a Centra/Spar?
    If Dunnes still own that building they’d have very high rent from what I’m told.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Heard that also a few weeks ago. Part of a major restructuring across the company which is on the verge of bankruptcy. They were in trouble before Covid. Now with Covid they are basically buggered.

• Advertisement

Heard that also a few weeks ago. Part of a major restructuring across the company which is on the verge of bankruptcy. They were in trouble before Covid. Now with Covid they are basically buggered.

They were to close at the end of the year but have gotten an extension till March.

Advertisement