Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭klose

Romero wrote: »
    Just trying to find out for a relative if you need to be tested for Covid in Clonmel is there a test centre open or does your own doctor do it?

You'll be sent out to Monroe, about 10 odd minutes out the road from clonmel

Romero wrote: »
    Just trying to find out for a relative if you need to be tested for Covid in Clonmel is there a test centre open or does your own doctor do it?

If it’s a private test, Mary Street Surgery does them. Otherwise, NHS test centre at Moyle Rovers, organised by your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lightscribe

Does anyone know if Dowlings printers are open? If not, anywhere else I could get some printing done? I need to be able to email it to them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I went for a walk out to the Rag Well out past Hillview the other day. It brought back memories of Frenchman's Stream and brickeens. I did some googling for Frenchman's Stream and found a lovely story/poem posted in 2012 about a lot of old landmarks, and a few known/notorious people of Clonmel before my time. If you've a relative in their seventies, I'm sure they'd be delighted if you slowly read them the poem and ask them if they have memories sparked before continuing.

Read the full poem at http://clonmelonline.com/2012/02/a-clonmel-exile-remembers/

Here are some of the references:
    The Oisín, The Ritz, Collins Hall, the orchards, the Boulick, the Flats (Pollards I believe), Frenchman's Stream catching brickeens, the Wilderness, Maggie Bulbert's shop, Jackie Dalton's basket of chocolate and fruit, Scorchy McGrath, Frosty Kennedy at Convent Bridge, Babs Foley and his dog, the Ragwell, Sandpit, Gashouse Bridge, Patrick's Well, Whispering Grass, the Spanish Arms, Emigrant's Rest, Hannah the Duck, Molly the Black, the Little Black Nun, the Cider and Bun, the Sandybanks swimming, and more.

Have a chat with people over the phone if not in person who might enjoy reminiscing during these socially distanced times.

I'm curious about the reference to "confession boxes down the Quay". I suspect it's metaphorical, but if anyone knows of literal confession boxes by the river (not counting the Friary), I'm interested to read what you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Qreq wrote: »
    I went for a walk out to the Rag Well out past Hillview the other day. It brought back memories of Frenchman's Stream and brickeens. I did some googling for Frenchman's Stream and found a lovely story/poem posted in 2012 about a lot of old landmarks, and a few known/notorious people of Clonmel before my time. If you've a relative in their seventies, I'm sure they'd be delighted if you slowly read them the poem and ask them if they have memories sparked before continuing.

Read the full poem at http://clonmelonline.com/2012/02/a-clonmel-exile-remembers/

The Oisín, The Ritz, Collins Hall, the orchards, the Boulick, the Flats (Pollards I believe), Frenchman's Stream catching brickeens, the Wilderness, Maggie Bulbert's shop, Jackie Dalton's basket of chocolate and fruit, Scorchy McGrath, Frosty Kennedy at Convent Bridge, Babs Foley and his dog, the Ragwell, Sandpit, Gashouse Bridge, Patrick's Well, Whispering Grass, the Spanish Arms, Emigrant's Rest, Hannah the Duck, Molly the Black, the Little Black Nun, the Cider and Bun, the Sandybanks swimming, and more.

Have a chat with people over the phone if not in person who might enjoy reminiscing during these socially distanced times.

I'm curious about the reference to "confession boxes down the Quay". I suspect it's metaphorical, but if anyone knows of literal confession boxes by the river (not counting the Friary), I'm interested to read what you remember.

Confessional boxes were what the little huts in Denis Lacey park were called years ago. They’re long gone now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Confessional boxes were what the little huts in Denis Lacey park were called years ago. They’re long gone now though.

Thanks for the reply. Is that what the Dennis Burke Park used to be called? I remember brick sheds with cross-shaped holes now that you mention it, back when the creaky roundabout, swings, and slide were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I’d say the reference to Denis Lacey Park was a typo. It’s always been the Dennis Burke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I’d say the reference to Denis Lacey Park was a typo. It’s always been the Dennis Burke Park.

Sorry, was close enough. :)

Good to see action being taken on Sulky Racing. https://www.facebook.com/An-Garda-S%C3%ADoch%C3%A1na-Tipperary-104451083452255/photos/pcb.725953281302029/725953221302035/

“At approximately 12 noon Clonmel Gardaí received a number of calls about a sulky race in progress between Lisronagh and Clonmel. A number of units including Regular and Roads Policing attended and intercepted several sulkys and vehicles travelling with them. A number of tickets for travel outside 5k and various traffic offences were issued. In addition this horse was seized from the owner when it was found to be unchipped and unlicensed”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I'd imagine the horse can be claimed back once certain conditions are met. Would that be correct.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    I'd imagine the horse can be claimed back once certain conditions are met. Would that be correct.

Not if it’s not chipped.

Qreq wrote: »

I remember the cofession boxes down the Quay..It was a recess in the wall..It may have been on the boot factory wall.They could have been windows that were blocked up.You could sit into them..Great courting spots,as were the little huts in the Dennis Burke park..The problem with the park huts was the smell of pee....That post has taken me back to more innocent times...well kinda innocent anyway..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I remember the cofession boxes down the Quay.....
    They were on the East side of the Gashouse bridge recessed into the wall of the gasworks, the ultimate vandal proof seating - made of stone!

Fionn wrote: »
    They were on the East side of the Gashouse bridge recessed into the wall of the gasworks, the ultimate vandal proof seating - made of stone!

Yes,I remember those on the wall beside the chemical factory..But also up around the old boot factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Thant's right there were some on the South side of the Boot Factory

Fionn wrote: »

Many's the dose of piles were got from them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

The Denis Lacy Hall is beside the Technical school.FF used to be there and it's where I played snooker as a youngster with my father on the top floor.Theres ballet and dancing on there now.

Used them to sit in out of the rain when fishing from the Strand and down to the gas house bridge."People " then started to use them as latrines and for other reasons.You couldn't go into them with the smell.

bmc58 wrote: »
    The Denis Lacy Hall is beside the Technical school.FF used to be there and it's where I played snooker as a youngster with my father on the top floor.Theres ballet and dancing on there now.

And was'nt there some sort of large cast iron drinking trough or similar outside in front of the building or maybe by the side. I used to think it was a drinking trough perhaps for horses in the day.

dieselbug wrote: »
    And was'nt there some sort of large cast iron drinking trough or similar outside in front of the building or maybe by the side. I used to think it was a drinking trough perhaps for horses in the day.

To the side.It was for horses.Boy,you're bringing back memories now.

• Advertisement

bmc58 wrote: »
    To the side.It was for horses.Boy,you're bringing back memories now.

Would'nt it have made a lovely decoration now if it had been left there. Imagine it painted up and full of blooming flowers in the summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Saw some work was going on in the building with the pillars on the corner of Anglesea & Wellington street.
    Any idea what might be going in there?
    Always thought it was an awful waste of a lovely building sitting there empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

maximo31 wrote: »
    Saw some work was going on in the building with the pillars on the corner of Anglesea & Wellington street.
    Any idea what might be going in there?
    Always thought it was an awful waste of a lovely building sitting there empty.

Known as Scot's church.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the planning register.

The vandalism to allow huge windows to be cut into it shows how little we valued architectural heritage back in the day.

I also notice work under way on the derelict houses at the corner of Queen St./ Cashel St. These are on the derelict buildings register so it may be remedial work to make safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Navie

Any idea on what happened on the Waterford road yesterday and all the arrests?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Darksoul

Navie wrote: »
    Any idea on what happened on the Waterford road yesterday and all the arrests?

There was a car accident at roundabout by Tesco's yesterday maybe it was to do with that? Multiple collision as far as I know anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Navie

relation to a violent disorder incident in Clonmel and five of those arrested have now been charged and are due to appear before Cashel District Court this afternoon (Thursday).

That’s according to a statement issued this afternoon by the Garda Press Office.

The statement outlined that two juveniles arrested earlier today in relation to the incident alleged to have occurred on the Waterford Road in Clonmel at 11am last Friday, May 5, have been released without charge. A file on the two youths will now be prepared under the Juvenile Diversion

Where is the new Apache pizza opening in Clonmel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

It's in where mayfair was

• Advertisement

danceash wrote: »
    It's in where mayfair was

Was expecting a bigger area tbh but it's a good location in the town for those who can walk around

Advertisement