Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭bmc58

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Interesting to see planning permission sign up on the Post House by Mulligans chemist - possibly another blow for the ghost ship that is Market Place?

Good to see plenty of life around the town over the weekend and a good few outdoor options

Yes,as more are vaccinated life seems to be slowly returning to normal.Thanks be to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Interesting to see planning permission sign up on the Post House by Mulligans chemist - possibly another blow for the ghost ship that is Market Place?

Good to see plenty of life around the town over the weekend and a good few outdoor options

I think they were always going in there even before things grinder to a halt with Covid. Would be nice to see a business go in there but also bad to see another unit vacate Market place. I know there was talks of rates issues up there but haven’t heard anymore about them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Could they change Market Place into Housing/apartments? Could the co co do a CPO and then redevelop the area with a mixture of retail and residential to get people back into the town and house them. I live ‘in’ town and I love it, the convenience of having everything on your doorstep, being able to walk everywhere. That would be attractive to young people and couples downsizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Market place should really be advertised like a potential shop street in Galway, a whole street of cafes pubs and restaurants. Shops and businesses should be focused on Gladstone and o connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Agree with the cafes/eateries idea - I'd like to see it covered over with canopies, even with those large semi-permanent brollies they have put up in Cork recently. Even in the short term it could make a useful spot for a Saturday market for small artisan food and arts traders.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I think they were always going in there even before things grinder to a halt with Covid. Would be nice to see a business go in there but also bad to see another unit vacate Market place. I know there was talks of rates issues up there but haven’t heard anymore about them to be honest.

The rates were all revalued a couple of years ago, but it was too late for the businesses that were there. I don’t think it’s an issue now.
    The issue is probably no one thinks about going up there to go shopping so no business is willing to take the risk. If something like Starbucks (or other popular big name brand) went into the vacant old Elverys site then it would draw people and the place could liven up very fast !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

solerina wrote: »
    The rates were all revalued a couple of years ago, but it was too late for the businesses that were there. I don’t think it’s an issue now.
    The issue is probably no one thinks about going up there to go shopping so no business is willing to take the risk. If something like Starbucks (or other popular big name brand) went into the vacant old Elverys site then it would draw people and the place could liven up very fast !!

I think Starbucks would trade really really well in town. I know there will be plenty of vocal people saying 'too expensive/bad coffee/etc. etc. but I haven't seen many Starbucks open and then close again.

Talking about the old elverys unit, anyone notice the hoarding up around it at the moment? Can’t say I noticed it before, Is something going in there?

I think Starbucks would trade really really well in town. I know there will be plenty of vocal people saying 'too expensive/bad coffee/etc. etc. but I haven't seen many Starbucks open and then close again.

Agreed, whether you like the coffee or not it is always full and teenagers love it too. I think if it went into one of the units in market place it would liven the whole place up with foot fall, I for one would love to see some life in that area again !!
    No idea what’s going on with the old Elverys at the moment !!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It would be good if ye got JSYK to go into the Superquinn unit also.
    I know it’s not the best in the World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

Talking about the old elverys unit, anyone notice the hoarding up around it at the moment? Can’t say I noticed it before, Is something going in there?

Permission was granted in 2018 for "change of use of existing two storey retail unit (former Elverys sports shop) to medical centre" - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/18601517/0

The application for the Old Post House includes "glazed link between post house building and adjacent proposed medical centre permitted under planning ref:18601517, via existing courtyard" - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/21748/0

It would be good if ye got JSYK to go into the Superquinn unit also.
    I know it’s not the best in the World.

JYSK currently have an application to go into a Unit out beside Supermacs & Mr. Price on the N24. You can see their branding and signage on the scanned files - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/21665/0

There is also an application for another of those units out by Supermacs & Mr. Price on the N24 under the name Geared Up Limited. They appear to be some way related to Screwfix Direct - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/21284/0 - https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/07415039-geared-up-limited

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JYSK currently have an application to go into a Unit out beside Supermacs & Mr. Price on the N24. You can see their branding and signage on the scanned files - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/21665/0

Alright, thanks for that.
    Sometime I’m in Clonmel I might venture there.
    I never really bother with Mr Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Permission was granted in 2018 for "change of use of existing two storey retail unit (former Elverys sports shop) to medical centre" - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/18601517/0

The application for the Old Post House includes "glazed link between post house building and adjacent proposed medical centre permitted under planning ref:18601517, via existing courtyard" - http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/21748/0

That's kind of depressing isn't it! As mentioned it would be a great area for cafes , bars , out door dining. Bring a bit of life to the town.

maximo31 wrote: »
    That's kind of depressing isn't it! As mentioned it would be a great area for cafes , bars , out door dining. Bring a bit of life to the town.

It would but who in their right mind would open a brand new bar in a town where plenty of them have closed in the past few years. It's not just a Clonmel thing, the number of bars nationwide is reducing year on year.

I'm not sure how many units there is in Market Place but I couldn't envisage it be viable for all of them to be offering something similar and I think Clonmel is already very well served with cafes, within a 5 minute walk of Market Place you have Niamhs, Hewitts, The Junction, Coco Cafe, O'Gormans, Quigleys, Vanilla Cafe and probably a couple more I'm missing out on.

At least the likes of a medical centre will hardly be closing due to the lack of custom and should bring at least bring footfall to the area which might entice others to rent units there.

As the old adage goes, a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

It would but who in their right mind would open a brand new bar in a town where plenty of them have closed in the past few years. It's not just a Clonmel thing, the number of bars nationwide is reducing year on year.

I'm not sure how many units there is in Market Place but I couldn't envisage it be viable for all of them to be offering something similar and I think Clonmel is already very well served with cafes, within a 5 minute walk of Market Place you have Niamhs, Hewitts, The Junction, Coco Cafe, O'Gormans, Quigleys, Vanilla Cafe and probably a couple more I'm missing out on.

At least the likes of a medical centre will hardly be closing due to the lack of custom and should bring at least bring footfall to the area which might entice others to rent units there.

As the old adage goes, a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.

Agreed we have a lot of cafes but they don’t cater for everyone, I know I haven’t been inside any of those mentioned in years(pre COVID included). Eating drinking out is certainly on the rise, even more so when we could t for so long. A decent city style food serving bar of the burgers, steaks, pizzas etc variety where you can spend an evening sitting with friends is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

What's the work going on up the rugby club hill just below the halting site does anyone know?

klose wrote: »
    What's the work going on up the rugby club hill just below the halting site does anyone know?

Maybe building a wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Anyone know who is behind The Premier Newspaper, which launched as a freesheet this week?

I couldn't find any editorial or production details anywhere in it or online. What's the big secret?
    Anyway, fair play to them for launching a product in what must be a difficult business.

I found it a bit sports heavy but that's probably a strength.

Good luck to them all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

klose wrote: »

A hole?

The rubbish in left in the road from the halting site needs to be addressed, it’s an awful mess and no accountability for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

they are refurbing the whole halting site , new kitchens and toilets etc, they are appointing an out side contractor to try and keep it clean and tidy, I'd say best of luck with that one

snipey wrote: »
    they are refurbing the whole halting site , new kitchens and toilets etc, they are appointing an out side contractor to try and keep it clean and tidy, I'd say best of luck with that one

Are you serious? That just gives the residents more reason to dump rubbish anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Wow, how much is that going to cost the residents of the site? can't be cheap.

dieselbug wrote: »
    Wow, how much is that going to cost the residents of the site? can't be cheap.

Not a lot :(

Not a lot :(

It will cost us though.

I think there will be a chemist up there as well:):):) or as they call it in the US a Drug Store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Not a bad investment if it keeps them confined to living in halting sites, they should do it for all the travellers in Clonmel or anywhere.

IMO its wrong to place them alongside regular people in housing estates, I've yet to see it work out, the truth is these people are just a different breed and don't/can't get along in a regular functioning society.

Sad to say but the only answer is halting sites around the edges of towns/cities, it's by far the lesser of two evils.

Why? Do the halting site residents pay for their rubbish disposal like the rest of us?

• Advertisement

bmc58 wrote: »
    Why? Do the halting site residents pay for their rubbish disposal like the rest of us?

Believe it or not they actually do pay for their skips but for some reason they don't use them, they would rather dump their rubbish out on the road, I can't understand why, just their breeding, just look at the rubbish all the way up the road.

Advertisement