Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭bmc58

Traffic seems to not be the disaster that many thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It’s clonmel. The first line is always to moan and bitch and give out. The place was idle for 15 years and people gave out then when something happens they are still giving out. Fair play to all involved in the work there it’s a good job and totally opens up and enhances the street scape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Looks great tbh. But I would question why they left the water shore on the road so low.

Maybe 7 should have read this post before posting my last comment 🤣🤣

I think most people would know that junction as a bottle neck for may years, and I suppose most of the complaints were around the traffic. There was some the other opinions on why put another shopping area there when there is already an abandoned shopping area in town. And tbh it was a fair criticism. The area did look drab for years and it's great to see it looking so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Have to say the shops around LIDL look very nice and modern. Not like the 1930s misery chic that planners seem to normally insist on in the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

hi all, could anyone recommend a good family law solicitor in clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

The s#^^ were at it again Saturday night / Sunday morning in Clonmel , glass pane smashed in Fennessy’s undertakers front door .

Have to say the anticipated traffic chaos on Queen Street anticipated by the doom and gloom mob hasnt materialised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Added filter lanes into Mary St. and Lidl have helped. And isn't the whole streetscape around Lidl a vast improvement on what was there before?

Oh agreed. It’s brilliant. The amount of doom and gloom and bitching that went on prior to the opening was incredible though. I wonder have any of these people retracted their views or have they moved on to their next project of opposition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

I was delighted to see the project go ahead but if you didn't have even a slight reservation about how the traffic would fare id be surprised, job very well done there and a nice addition.

I see market place is now completely boarded up, how fcuking grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

A family friend works in Peter Marks. Imagine having to lock up there on a dark evening. I bet they regret buying that site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Huge improvement. The new shops and cafe with the grey cladding look modern and fresh compared to the rest of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Knocklofty House being stripped bare by persons with caravans and piebald ponies. Really, really sad it has come to this.

Gives your car a fair knock if you go over it.People are swerving to the right to avoid it now as they know its there,thus going a bit into the traffic coming up Queen street.Could lead to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Is the Cash for Clothes shop across from the railway station still open?

No it's not. It actually closed maybe 6 months or more ago, and as far as I know there isn't another one in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Recliner

Thanks for that.

Does anyone know if there's any in Tipperary, or where the nearest would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so true. The town centre is becoming a no go area due to drugs; there are way too many empty shop / office fronts and little inovation or impetus from the county council. Would the last person turn off the lights please.

• Advertisement

the town centre is not a no go area get a grip. Yes there are too many empty shops we all agree on that but this sort of hyperbole is absolute nonsense.

Waterford Whispers is usualy funny and tongue in cheek but this headline is just not true but insulting to people of Clonmel who know how vibrant the town is.There are plans for a small part of of the town center which have a few closed shops.Waterford is certainly not a shining light of the south east and is not in a position to be commenting on other towns in the same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yer man who owns and co-writes WWN is from out the Fethard/Clooneen way so he's local, is he not? This is not some 'outsider' writing it.

It's satire with a bit of bite. No harm to 'encourage' Council and councillors to greater effort . No need to clutch the pearls over it, I would have thought.

What plans are there for the town centre and the shops? There is more than a few closed shops around and its very run down.

IMO it is. I have never seen opening dealing of drugs on the street until last week. That is frightening and upsetting and would definitely make people think twice about walking around the town on their own. This was at 7pm, not 2am. It’s not hyperbole, its my experience and I own a business in the town so want Clonmel to be the best it can be.

I have lived and worked in clonmel for nearly 50 years and have never felt it unsafe to walk through the town. It is most certainly not a no go area. I walk the town several times a day most days. If you see open drug dealing going on then report it to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

It's never been unsafe, sure the junkies begging are annoying but that's an Irish problem not a clonmel problem.

It is however struggling shopping wise and it's only units closing these days and not opening up. I am interested to know what "plans" there are mentioned a few posts back.

At its simplest, get something into the old Heatons and dunnes on the main street and refurb the clonmel arms, then focus on market place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

What market is there for new shops though? I was around town Saturday afternoon and there was a nice buzz about the place, elverys was busy, Lifestyle not so busy but that's due to footfall in the location. Cafés are doing a nice trade but I can't think of one thing that's missing, anything that would make someone take a chance opening a new business in one of the many empty units that people aren't already buying online for less money. There's enough clothes shops, enough sports shops, enough cafés but there's no point putting another of any shop into an empty unit just for the sake of filling it. Maybe if the Arms reopened it could bring some tourist footfall into the town, ideally located for the blueway now, and there was talk of a Kildare village style row of shops in market place but the longer they're left idle the harder they'll be to bring back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tommiet

More traffic chaos ensues, the traffic lights at this junction are on an induction loop buried in the road, its out lined like a box on the road, tar covers the loop, so if a car does not pull right up to the line the system will not see the car and the lights won't change, this is the case for traffic coming down the Cashel road hill, drivers are not pulling up to the line and the lights will not change. I get caught here a lot.

Advertisement