Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Darksoul

Clonmel Rugby Football Club (RFC) has announced the club will host a live music festival at their Cashel Road Stadium from Friday 7th to Sunday 9th of July inclusive. The inaugural event kindly supported by Heineken offers three evenings of live musical entertainment across the weekend with Hermitage Green headlining on Saturday night supported by Oscar Blue. Local groups the Rugby Club Male Voice Choir together with D’Eagles and Jig Jam will top and tail what is set to be a massive weekend for the town of Clonmel and surrounding areas!

The Rugby Club Male Voice Choir led by Joe Sheehan will ensure the festival weekend kicks off on exactly the right note on Friday 7th July. Gates open on Friday evening from 7pm with showtime at 8pm sharp. Tickets €20 are now available online. 

Saturday 8th July will see Oscar Blue warm up the crowds for headline act Hermitage Green. ‘Catch them while you can’ is the advice from organisers as Hermitage Green’s will soon be jetting off on their international tour. Gates open from 5pm with bands performing at 6pm and 8pm consecutively, tickets €35 available online today.

Have they ever done live concert up that area before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Mind where you park your car up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

I live very close to this and it's going to be a pain in the hole, 3 small kids who all go to bed at the time it will be starting. No consultation with residents at all. Great to see something happening but does it have to be at the top of two road jammed with houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Ceepo

For anyone interested Clonmel mountain bike club are holding an enduro race on the Russlestown side of Careys Castle next Sunday from 10am to 3pm. This promises to be an action packed day, with over 240 participating for all over Ireland. Clonmel has some of the best natural trails in Ireland, and it's great to see them being utilise. Many of the participants will be staying over night which is always a welcome boost to the local economy. So if you're at a loose end and want to venture out for a bit of fresh air and have a look, you can even enjoy a burger or coffee there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Of course it’s good news but if a negative spin is needed no better town!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

In fairness, it's not like it's happening every night of the week. I know people have kids, but unless you hold events out in the middle of a hundred acre field, someone is going to not like it.

Playing the NIMBY card is pointless.

Not a negative spin, but my only concern is the lack of rental accommodation in the town, if people were to apply from outside and were hoping to move to Clonmel. Not Bostons problem, and I do think it's fantastic, 400 jobs is massive. I'd imagine a good number will defect from Abbott. They have a very high attrition rate lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The lack of accommodation is a national problem though.

Maybe some of the people that travel to other city's like Waterford or Cork can get employment there.

True, and I do see it as a massive boost for Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Tis a boost for Clonmel all right, however the accommodation problem around the town/South Tipp is not going away anytime soon.

Hopefully will see a knock on effect in the pubs and restaurants around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭decies

Great to see work commencing on the refitting of the new centra shop in clerihan expected to open end of June .

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Surprised it’s taken that long. Something wasn’t right about the sudden closing late last year. That shop is a goldmine if managed properly. Great to have it reopening best of luck to whoever takes it on.

It's going to be Ely's Centra. Same as the one over the Old Bridge

To be fair, I'm allowed to be irritated at the prospect. I'm not trotting off to lodge an objection with the council or anything. If it was a day festival, I'd be up there with them. I just don't want three small kids awake for the night (because it will be audible in every part of our house) and pissed people in my driveway. Which I think is fair enough? So once it's well organised and traffic/pedestrians controlled properly upon exit I'll be grand. I'm just apprehensive.

Has Powerstown Park ever been used for something similar? Would be a cracking venue for something like that.

I take your point, of course you're entitled to be irritated, and I'm sure other areas would be more suitable.

But my point is that any event like this will always irritate someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,477 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Penney's extension is good!

Yes it is but the men’s section is still a bit meh

Funnily enough it was the mens section I was happy with but mainly because it wasn't as cramped.

However I thought the extension was just going to be a small area near the checkouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭bmc58

Very busy past few days.Checkout is good as they have plenty of tills open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very impressive, nice boost to the town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

What's with scared senses shop in the narrow street posting CCTV images of people on social media, u would have thought that to be data protection breach..

Wouldn't be encouraged to shop in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Darksoul

A lot of robbing goes on, so they use Facebook as a name and shame and give them a chance to return the items and no hassle afterwards from what I seen over the last 2 years, must be like the 10th time I seen CCTV image of whoever in the shop.

My local Supervalu does this and they've a notice board with pictures. I don't think it bothers people really and other businesses know who to keep an eye for.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭2 fast

Ok well fair enough so, it just seemed a bit odd but I understand the reasoning, I'd hope there'd be no one mistakenly identified

Fair dues to sacred senses taking the initiative against the vain of business people shoplifters .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

A petrol station I occasionally drop into up the country has pictures outside the door of people who "forgot" to pay for their petrol/diesel. Probably only effective against theft for local people who'd be known, someone just passing through might not care.

I know people say the practice might damage a potential court case but what's a court case likely to achieve anyway only a rap on the knuckles, a fine that might or might not ever be paid and a legal aid bill for the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

Best place locally to source a new front door?

• Advertisement

With Argos closing hopefully they can sort something out with Iceland.

Fingers crossed somebody might take over the Argos units.

Advertisement