Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

The difference with the fire fighters and the water strikers is that the fire fighters actually have a reason to strike. Very badly paid for being on call 48 weeks a year, something around the 8.5K - which the water strikers make in less than 2 months. Also the fire fighters, if on call, have to be within 2 km of the station if their beeper goes off - very limiting on their personal time. IMO, we shouldn’t have part-time / locals filling in fire fighters. Why not just ensure there are paid professionals on hand all the time - we are awash with money, use it where is benefits the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Nope, and people need to know that they are reasonably well paid. These are NOT "volunteer" fire service as the unions would try and make out. Thankfully many people have realised that it is quite well paid, it is "extra" income and their pay demands are more out of greed than anything else

They get paid a basic of €8,500-€11500 for being available to go out on call. So if they never got a call and simply were "available", they get €8500-€11500.

You then hear that they can't go to the pub or go out celebrating and event. - Nothing whatsoever stopping them if its local enough on their "on call" days. They just cannot drink alcohol.

Then if the do get called out they get €44 for the 1st hour and €22 for every subsequent hour. This rate is doubled for weekends and night work.

On average a retained firefighter earns €18,000-€22,000 a year - and that's on top of their normal work. Handy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

€44/22 an hour is not huge money for the expertise and risks involved. The additional income supplementary to their day jobs is fully taxable and, while it may come in handy in their household income it also limits what paid work they can do, and their partners if they have young children who can't be left alone if a beeper goes off.

Lots of them have been doing it for years and they see that there's fewer and fewer people joining the fire service, they need to get the t&c s improved now so that the service can attract and retain staff over the coming years as members retire. IMO they're being proactive by looking for this now otherwise in a few years time we'll barely have half a fire service anyway. (Not a firefighter or family member myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

A reservoir interruption may cause supply disruptions to all Ardfinnan Supply Scheme and surrounding areas in Co. Tipperary.

Works are scheduled to take place nightly from 9pm until 7am from 11 August until 19 August.

We recommend that you allow 2-3 hours after the estimated restoration time for your supply to fully return.

Please take note of the following reference number and enter it into the search bar should you wish to return for an update: TIP00066383

swear to god sick of these clowns now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

We wish to remind customers that four boil water notices remain in place in Tipperary for customers on the the Ardfinnan Regional, Galtee Regional, Thurles Regional, Burncourt Regional and Burncourt Ballylooby public water supplies. See wtr.ie/3hj8bo. @TipperaryCoCo

another update today to cheer ye up

• Advertisement

Boil water notice in Clonmel as well - was in Niamhs Wednesday this week and they couldn't give out water due to boil water notice. The place has gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Clonmel - famous for being a derelict sh*thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uggybear2

Is there anyone on thread who's still a member of the 'Clonmel Stories' FB page?

I unfollowed so that I can't see the posts anymore but has it lightened up a little bit? It was a bit too depressing to read some of the comments on there, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uggybear2

Reason I ask is...since Clonmel Online hasn't been updated in a while (don't blame the person behind the website, either). It was the only Internet space besides the dreaded 'Tipp Live' (not incl. Tipp FM in that category) that you could keep updated on local news in Clonmel. I don't buy the local paper either as it's too expensive.

There's a new free paper launching next week, I think. The Tipperary Echo will be out soon, edited by Jamie O'Flaherty.

That might fill the gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hopefully as would be missed around the town - didn’t the previous incarnation cease due to a court order though recently? Don’t know anyone under 50 that would pay €3.20 every week for the nationalist - same with every paper up and down the country.

great to see a good buzz around Clonmel all weekend for the busking festival

The nationalist used to have a lot more content but now it's just not worth the money, I read it in the library an odd time if I'm waiting for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GOM98

Hi, I am moving to clonmel next week and have got a car, instructor can give me lessons in three weeks, have my test in a month, just wondering does anyone know the test route so I can practice with my dad before I get my lessons.

kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yeah decent crowd around for the busking festival. Was hoping they would have used the plaza Sunday evening for something instead of a car park down a lane way at the back of a night club.

There's a few test routes but your instructor should be well familiar with them, best of luck in your test. It's not easy down around irishtown and Gladstone Street so maybe get a bit of practice along there and be aware of the (many) potential hazards.

Yeah, I thought that was strange. The Plaza was not used at all for any events at the Busking Festival - after all the money spent. Denis Burke Park was used and that car park also.

They might want to do something about the quality of some of the acts.

At times on Saturday it was like the worst Pub singers with backing tracks were gathered up from all over Ireland and dropped in the centre of Clonmel, where they bawled away for a few hours. There were , of course, some quality acts but too much dross - mostly older males.

Wexford has a world class opera festival, Kilkenny a top class Arts Festival, Dungarvan a big food festival.

Clonmel has a festival of hairy auld fellas, belting the sh*t outta guitars, roaring Eagles songs.

And, yes, I know they raise a lot of money for Cancer. That's great. They could just raise the bar a bit.

Would agree with all of this. Sadly there’s a group think in the town that everything about the busking festival has to be pushed in a positive light. It’s a great concept a great cause and is in the main well run. But it’s not without its faults and certainly the quality and choice of venues this year was questionable. As you said there were some very good acts too. I will be asking to see why the plaza wasn’t used but using Denis Burke Park was a most welcome addition. There’s a lot of potential in the festival let’s hope it grows and builds on its success. A lot done a lot more to do.

An indian restaurant going in to where the bunker was on Sarsfield St. Cibo Fresco moving to where O' Gormans Cafe was on O Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Would also agree with this. Some of the quality was terribly poor esp on the streets on Saturday.

That said, I was in Denis Burle park on Sunday and saw Alan Parker and the Aftershocks, who were outstanding. Absolutly excellent four piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Didnt know The Bunker was gone. A pity, liked it there.

• Advertisement

Its gone over 12 months to the 19th Hole in Irishtown

We were promised Ireland's new Grafton Street, but instead got a boarded up ghost town where vandals have taken over | The Irish Sun (thesun.ie)

Maybe it's time to burn Market Place to the ground and cover it over.

There is zero chance of getting a positive message about Clonmel out while it exists. The simple image of it says a thousand words.

Clonmel is the new Limerick as far as the national media is concerned.

Instead of doing something about it the locals will bitch and moan and continue to elect charlatans to the Dail like Mattie or imbeciles like Browne. Is an area worse represented in Ireland than South Tipp west Waterford politically?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Ceepo

While I don't disagree with you for a second. You can only vote for who ever is on the ballot paper in front of you.

Agreed but my point stands unfortunately. No government rep in Clonmel is among a load of other factors granted inhibiting the town.

There's no doubt that the lack of a government minister is a huge draw back to the area,. That and also the shifting of the council to North Tipperary has added to the demise of the south of the county. Mattie might shout a bit from time to timah, but at least he heard, even if one.in power takes any notice, Browne on the other hand iis completely invisible and benefited from a protest vote. The scary thing is history will repeat itself.

My definition of stupidity - keep electing the same numpties and expect things to change.

Where is Jackie Cahill? Michael Lowry or Alan Kelly? Don’t just single out Mattie and Martin, pull them all up. None of these has done a single thing for us in south Tipperary in the last 5 years - stop voting for them and try something different to make a difference.

The 1st 3 are all north tipp based, that's my point. As I said before, we can only vote for the people on the ballot paper.

There's not even currently a Clonmel based TD. Depitty McGrath is not a Clonmel based TD. 1 from Nenagh, two around Thurles, the big fella from Cashel and Mattie from, well, Mattie world.

When Seamus Healy was a sitting TD, it didn't seem to do much good. He was so far on the margins politically, he seemed to be more concerned with the situation in Palestine and Gaza than in the economic and business fortunes of the largest population centre in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Be interesting to see why the Plaza has been underused - however a good few people would think the Plaza too far from the centre of town.

Advertisement