Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Was that all rubbish about the Supermacs owner buying GBM (Renault) garage so?

I imagine that there were difficulties about the deal that we won't know about. That deal was supposed to have been done a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

I see The Original Rudeboys are coming to Danno's tomorrow night, sounds like a good crowd going aswell.

i taught that was a teenage Disco thing ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

copy1 wrote: »
    i taught that was a teenage Disco thing ??

Nope, over 18s AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Supermacs are going in not at the GBM garage but at the site beside Tesco where there was a furniture store at one stage.

Menarys left Clonmel because of health and safety concerns regarding the building. How it passed regulations in the first place I will never know but there is serious subsidence there and also flooding in the basement. AFAIK Menarys highlighted these problems from an early stage but the owner refused to deal with them. Health and Safety became involved and closed the whole store down. Whether or not Menarys will return is debateable but that building is condemned at the moment.

Wow. Never knew that about Menarys. Thought they pulled out due to the economic downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

alexmcred wrote: »
    Was up in Tesco today and there is construction going on beside the warehouse and there is a Supermacs truck parked there as well
    Saw this aswel today and assumed it to be the site of the new supermacs,there was a supermacs van over there also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wow. Never knew that about Menarys. Thought they pulled out due to the economic downturn.

My sister in law used to work there, and she was told it was due to the fact they weren't taking in enough sales and the was a decision by the UK head Office to pull out of Clonmel, heard nothing of the likes about H&S, I would love to know your source on this information Clonmel1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

H&S shut Menarys in Clonmel. The store was open and trading the morning the H&S people came down. No closing down sale, no mention of lay offs or otherwise. I'm sure Menarys in Clonmel like Menarys everywhere was feeling the pinch due to the times we live in but this was not an economic decision. AFAIK Menarys paid little or no rent to the owner of the building once they identified the problems that existed with the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

tippspur wrote: »
    Saw this aswel today and assumed it to be the site of the new supermacs,there was a supermacs van over there also.

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1113&LASiteID=3

Could be a Supermacs. To see the application, drawings submissions etc you will need to download DJVU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi all, are there any Christmas markets going on in Clonmel any time soon ? Are the car boot sales finished for the season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

alexmcred wrote: »
    Was up in Tesco today and there is construction going on beside the warehouse and there is a Supermacs truck parked there as well
    I think you may be correct as higgins owns that building and his company bekan properties has change of use planning permission in paper this week for that premises plus supermacs will want a drive thru and that would be perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Originally Posted by alexmcred viewpost.gif
    tippspur wrote: »
    where is this warehouse? What business was there before?

Just to clarify Supermacs are not going into the old GBMgarage and havent been for over 12 months now, They are putting a new drive through where Avonmore had a wharehouse on the right has you enter into tescos. There is somebody currently selling stone/clay or something similar there at the moment. Perfect locaation for a drive thru, that Tesco's is a gold mine constantly busy

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Just to clarify Supermacs are not going into the old GBMgarage and havent been for over 12 months now, They are putting a new drive through where Avonmore had a wharehouse on the right has you enter into tescos. There is somebody currently selling stone/clay or something similar there at the moment. Perfect locaation for a drive thru, that Tesco's is a gold mine constantly busy
    while some of the staff shop in aldi i am told

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No harm in shopping around! I know a lad who worked in Tesco for a while, did some of his shopping in Mace, Centra and Dunnes as well depending on what he needed.

:confused::confused::confused:

Very busy around the centre of Clonmel today,very Christmassy feel about it I have to say.The free parking must be having an effect.

Yeah a bit of kudos to Clonmel Borough Council for allowing free car parking each Saturday for the month of Devember in their car parks. I see there is a winter festival planned for next Saturday, Santa parade, mini train shuttling through town, switching on of Xmas lights by Roz Purcell

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Also a good olde buzz in the shopping centre, first time I have seen it anything like capacity in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Yeah a bit of kudos to Clonmel Borough Council for allowing free car parking each Saturday for the month of Devember in their car parks. I see there is a winter festival planned for next Saturday, Santa parade, mini train shuttling through town, switching on of Xmas lights by Roz Purcell

But the lights are already on??

I'd say its more of a symbolic swirching on than anything else. The lights in O Connell Street are very nice in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya, the lights in O' Connell street are very nice. Saw them for the first time last night. Almost as nice as the lights at the quay in Waterford.

Sad to see more shop closures with the discount store on o connell st and now the sweet shop beside pennys closing this weekend after 2 years things are fair bad when shops have to close before xmas so can imagine what post xmas will bring.

Have to say the railway bridge is great, was worth the wait and you just realize the amount of traffic that goes over it when you see the backlog it caused when it was closed, BUT heres my question, can anyone explain why there is such a dip in the road at new littleroundabout? it just seems to effect you when you go over bridge into lane towards prior park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Royco wrote: »
    Sad to see more shop closures with the discount store on o connell st and now the sweet shop beside pennys closing this weekend after 2 years things are fair bad when shops have to close before xmas so can imagine what post xmas will bring.

On the plus side there is a new photo shop opening up beside Menarys. But yes definitely sad to see shops closing. Thought that sweet shop was doin ok? As for the discount shop, there's a lot of them opening selling the same kinda stuff, there really can't be enough custom for all of them.

Also a coffee shop going into the old Irish Nationwide premises.

Very disappointing to see any closures. Discount World was shut by the liquidators and there stores closed nationwide. The old world sweet shop was always going to struggle in recession times unfortunately. Very sad to see it close although to my sternal shame I nver was in there.

Royco wrote: »
    No more Fizzle sticks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Anyone else see the Weekend Review section of The Irish Independent on Saturday. Story about the Saint Vincent de Paul's work in the town.

Is this the article ?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/i-worked-for-vincent-de-paul-then-i-was-just-weeks-away-from-calling-them-for-help-myselfjohn-meagher-on-the-poverty-new-and-old-thats-now-stalking-ireland-3319141.html

A few good quotes from Brian Mordaunt (a decent guy, father of "Shepards Pie" George) plus an example case of a couple needing assistance. Tough times in a lot of homes this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

A few good quotes from Brian Mordaunt (a decent guy, father of "Shepards Pie" George) plus an example case of a couple needing assistance. Tough times in a lot of homes this Christmas.

I presumed it was his brother Brian (who's definitely involved with SVP) rather than his father?

Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement

No I am fairly certain it was Brian senior, though both are involved in the SVP. Both totally different to George.

Brian Mordaunt Snr has done, and continues to do a lot of decent work within the SVP in Clonmel.

Advertisement