Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Is this the article ?

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/i-worked-for-vincent-de-paul-then-i-was-just-weeks-away-from-calling-them-for-help-myselfjohn-meagher-on-the-poverty-new-and-old-thats-now-stalking-ireland-3319141.html

A few good quotes from Brian Mordaunt (a decent guy, father of "Shepards Pie" George) plus an example case of a couple needing assistance. Tough times in a lot of homes this Christmas.
    Tough times,I wonder when will it all end,not for a long time yet I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Meathlass wrote: »
    I presumed it was his brother Brian (who's definitely involved with SVP) rather than his father?

Thanks for the link.
    Brian Mordaunt's brother, George, was among those who lived the Celtic Tiger dream. He had four car dealerships in south Tipperary and in the good years he was selling 40 new cars every week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Good news corner:

The long running saga over the future of Supervalu in the Poppyfields has been resolved, Musgraves have bought the store (and one in Thomastown) from the recievers and all the jobs in both stores are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Great news to come before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭touts

It is good to see it secure but I don't think it was ever seriously in risk. That and Woodies always seem packed and have to be among the most secure stores in the town.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Good news corner:

The long running saga over the future of Supervalu in the Poppyfields has been resolved, Musgraves have bought the store (and one in Thomastown) from the recievers and all the jobs in both stores are secure.

How did they get in to so much trouble? Will both stores be refranchised does anyone know and were both owned by Jones?

EDIT: Scrap that last question it appears that Taite bought the 2 franchises from Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Abra re-opening tomorrow in Gladstone Street under new management. Best of luck to them and I see they were looking for staff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

How did they get in to so much trouble? Will both stores be refranchised does anyone know and were both owned by Jones?

EDIT: Scrap that last question it appears that Taite bought the 2 franchises from Jones

Was it not owned by Fraher and Ronan who got caught in a few property deals that went south. Same chap of the Ronans owned the vita cortex plant that was full of controversy.

Great to see it remain open. I wonder is Brian Jones going to be still managing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

snipey wrote: »
    Has Mr Bumbles closed down?

Heard the owner on the radio yesterday,he said the rumours of Mr Bumbles closing down was just malicious gossip. He said he has just spent thousands decorating the place and already has bookings taken for 2013 so he wont be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Nice to hear about Mr bumbles, never been in there what is it like, food wise? Seem to go into Mulcahy's on some sunday's.

• Advertisement

Nice to hear about Mr bumbles, never been in there what is it like, food wise? Seem to go into Mulcahy's on some sunday's.

I'll just say mrs tippwarrior is a big fan and she's not easily pleased. She says there is great value to be had there at lunch time.

I'll just say mrs Terrence Gorgeous Brunette is a big fan and she's not easily pleased. She says there is great value to be had there at lunch time.

I am a big fan of their black pudding and apple starter.Sounds odd but is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

I heard the tenent in Planet Playground was in court yesterday by the landlord over safety concerns,suppose thats what happens when you have hen/stag partys there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Was it not owned by Fraher and Ronan who got caught in a few property deals that went south. .

That would be what I was lead to believe too and I'm fairly confident of my sources been right. Either way SuperValu remains open with is the important thing.

Was it not owned by Fraher and Ronan who got caught in a few property deals that went south. Same chap of the Ronans owned the vita cortex plant that was full of controversy.

Great to see it remain open. I wonder is Brian Jones going to be still managing it?

But was it the Poppyfield they owned as opposed to the Supervalu franchise in Clonmel which is located in the Poppyfield?

One of the Ronan's (Johnny iirc who went for a rendezvous with Rozanna Davison to Marrakesh a few years ago) is one of the biggest culprits of the bank loans controversies and the irony is that he receives €5m a year in rent from the taxpayer to keep the NTMA and NAMA in the treasury building in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

But was it the Poppyfield they owned as opposed to the Supervalu franchise in Clonmel which is located in the Poppyfield?

One of the Ronan's (Johnny iirc who went for a rendezvous with Rozanna Davison to Marrakesh a few years ago) is one of the biggest culprits of the bank loans controversies and the irony is that he receives €5m a year in rent from the taxpayer to keep the NTMA and NAMA in the treasury building in Dublin

This might get a bit complicated so bear with me.

Jonny Ronan(Treasury Holdings/Rozanna Davidson) is origionally from Carrick On Suir and would be a cousin of the Ronans who ran the Ronans plants formerly in Clonmel and near Rosegreen(both of which have now gone belly up)
    One of these Ronans,Jack,diversified into property when the rendering plant closed.
    One of his businesses is Vita Cortex.
    Closer to home he started a number of ventures with Johnny Fraher(i.e. Slatterys) and the main one was the development of the Poppyfield and then putting in the tenants that are currently there.
    Another was the "complex" in Clerihan.
    However,as they say,Ronan and Fraher had "irreconcilable differences" and their whole house of cards came tumbling down,including the complete Poppyfield.
    Brian Jones was the manager of another supermarket in town and got the franchise for Supervalu in the Poppyfield.
    He was also the "manager" of the whole complex and hence he got caught up in the whole fiasco when the Poppyfields went bust.

Great news that Supervalu is saved but I don't think any of the franchises up there would fail as the place is a little goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Jack Ronan not Johnny Ronan was involved in the Poppeyfields.

Of more interest to people living in Clerihan. What is going to happen to their fine supermarket that was once controlled by Jack Ronan. It is an awful shame to see it lying idle.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »

Of more interest to people living in Clerihan. What is going to happen to their fine supermarket that was once controlled by Jack Ronan. It is an awful shame to see it lying idle.

Jack Ronan not Johnny Ronan was involved in the Poppeyfields -did I not just say that??

It definitely would be a shame to see it lying idle.!
    Just as well it is open again and doing well(a New Zealand lad is running it).

Err, it re-opened to much acclaim a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Opened up again and thriving from what I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

cml387 wrote: »
    Err, it re-opened to much acclaim a month ago.
    tippspur wrote: »
    Opened up again and thriving from what I hear.
    Vizzy wrote: »
    Jack Ronan not Johnny Ronan was involved in the Poppeyfields -did I not just say that??

It definitely would be a shame to see it lying idle.!
    Just as well it is open again and doing well(a New Zealand lad is running it).

Great to hear, I missed this one, and I am always on the look out for good news don't think it was ever mentioned here. Anyway thanks to everyone who confirmed this good news.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great to hear, I missed this one, and I am always on the look out for good news don't think it was ever mentioned here. Anyway thanks to everyone who confirmed this good news.

See Post #1174 on Page 79 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭touts

This might get a bit complicated so bear with me.

Jonny Ronan(Treasury Holdings/Rozanna Davidson) is origionally from Carrick On Suir and would be a cousin of the Ronans who ran the Ronans plants formerly in Clonmel and near Rosegreen(both of which have now gone belly up)
    One of these Ronans,Jack,diversified into property when the rendering plant closed.
    One of his businesses is Vita Cortex.
    Closer to home he started a number of ventures with Johnny Fraher(i.e. Slatterys) and the main one was the development of the Poppyfield and then putting in the tenants that are currently there.
    Another was the "complex" in Clerihan.
    However,as they say,Ronan and Fraher had "irreconcilable differences" and their whole house of cards came tumbling down,including the complete Poppyfield.
    Brian Jones was the manager of another supermarket in town and got the franchise for Supervalu in the Poppyfield.
    He was also the "manager" of the whole complex and hence he got caught up in the whole fiasco when the Poppyfields went bust.

Great news that Supervalu is saved but I don't think any of the franchises up there would fail as the place is a little goldmine.

Wasn't Jack Ronan the guy behind the proposed massive expansion of the town across on the other side of the Suir. Thousands of houses, Schools, Shopping centres, even new bridges. I'd say he wakes up every morning and thanks god he was late coming up with that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Good to see town busy on Friday night. The only exception seemed to be Tierneys.

touts wrote: »
    Wasn't Jack Ronan the guy behind the proposed massive expansion of the town across on the other side of the Suir. Thousands of houses, Schools, Shopping centres, even new bridges. I'd say he wakes up every morning and thanks god he was late coming up with that idea.

Yeah that was him.He wanted to revitalise the whole area around the old tannery and build a huge complex.There was also another proposal to develop Suir Island with new bridges also(for the life of me I can't recall who was behind that)
    Ironically Jonny Ronan was proposing the same sort of idea in Carrick on Suir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

.There was also another proposal to develop Suir Island with new bridges also(for the life of me I can't recall who was behind

that would have been Kemberton Properties. Proposals included a multi storey car park, 5 star hotel, offices , coffee shops and some residential. It could have brought life to the quays/river.

Anybody know why theres no electricity in the King Street area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody know why theres no electricity in the King Street area.

Apocalypse ?? Or maybe some esb fella is tryin to frighten the sh1te out of people. Most likely due to weather I'd imagine. Power has been flickering a bit here since it got windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

My mother used to work in Ferry House, and was talking about a boy who she was close to and talking to her lately what happened to him prays on her mind and I am looking for help in finding out what to him. I am just looking for a point in the right direction and not specifics. Kind of a personal issues and would not like to make it publicly known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Anyone know if pennys in clonmel is open today.

Advertisement