Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

ami1989 wrote: »
    Anyone know a good store for buying second hand books?
    There is an annual book fair in Fethard - The Tipperariana Book Fair in the Ballroom on Feb 10th 2 - 6pm. It might be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

tippspur wrote: »
    Is Magner's pub closing down on Friday? anyone hear anything.

Is that Magners beside the old cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Heard the same. Also known as The Outback. Beside the old theater.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

cml387 wrote: »
    Is that Magners beside the old cinema?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The guy who ran (or owned, not sure) the Outback was killed in a motorbike crash some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

cml387 wrote: »
    The guy who ran (or owned, not sure) the Outback was killed in a motorbike crash some years ago.
    True ,but he wasn't the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

The owner is fairly local but moved to America a good few years back, done well for himself and bought this pub.

Comes back regularly. Decent salt of the earth man and well liked.

Believe he hurled for Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

dieselbug wrote: »
    The owner is fairly local but moved to America a good few years back, done well for himself and bought this pub.

Comes back regularly. Decent salt of the earth man and well liked.

Believe he hurled for Tipp.

Jim Keohe is the owner's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Anyone know anything about the Mexican restaurant that's above Matty Boyle's curtains and blinds shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

iceage wrote: »
    There's always Clonmel Og. Plenty of people run the boundaries of the pitch.

Never understood why people think it's ok to run or play soccer at will on that pitch while not being members or even contributing to the club or upkeep itself. Probably because its just gates are usually open at convenient times but I'm sure the grounds staff don't appreciate it. People wouldn't just walk in and start playing in the GAA grounds or clonmel celtic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Never understood why people think it's ok to run or play soccer at will on that pitch while not being members or even contributing to the club or upkeep itself. Probably because its just gates are usually open at convenient times but I'm sure the grounds staff don't appreciate it. People wouldn't just walk in and start playing in the GAA grounds or clonmel celtic

Actually I don't think its quite as black and white as you make out, though I appreciate your sentiment. I ran at Pat O'Callaghan centre this morning and their gates are openly daily at 9am till 9pm for anyone, though I attend the Meet & Train group there on a Monday night, for which there is a cost, so I suppose you could say I was contributing.

Alot of sporting clubs rely on financial contributions from the public, either by donations or paid participation or from the government (either local or national). I've found these places are generally for all of the community, not exclusively for a particular team, but they obviously rely on the public using them in a proper manner, not running amok and destroying it.

Just as an aside, I ran at Clerihan's new sporting ground on Tuesday and though it was icey, I really enjoyed it and would run there again.

Again, I think these facilities are for the general public, within reason, and I wouldn't like it to be any different to be honest.

I would agree with you that access to sporting facilities are intergral to the community as they seem to be the majority of the green areas remaining in towns these days and as long as the people using them do so in a responsible manner, then they generally can go about their business unopposed.

For clubs who do provide athletes with use of their club grounds for running or training, I would definitely encourage that people might make an effort to approach the organisation to become part of their local draw or lotto as a means of giving back which is usually very minimal outlay.

The issue still remains though that these are private properties and what would happen if someone was to be injured while on the premises, without due reason for being there. Is the club or organisation liable for any claims against them? An example being someone breaking their ankle in a hole in a pitch or you slipping on the ice in clerihan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

And I agree with you.

I'm assuming that their public liability insurance would cover them for any genuine injury to a member of the public, IF it was something defective at the facility.

Being stupid and falling over on ice, I wouldn't think, would qualify as the facilities fault. Though Clerihan have loads and loads of signs up saying that the path can get icey, so maybe they've been bitten! Sometimes you just have to accept personal responsibility for your own actions, not be constantly looking to blame someone else.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get fit - Fionnula Britten has no fear of me - I'm running too slow to actually get into any difficulty!

Ah we all have to start somewhere. Hope you're enjoying it, the cold weather lately cant be a great motivator.

Hadn't thought bout the public liability insurance. Its a shame to say that's the way the world is gone, just a pity everyone didn't feel the need to be responsible for their own actions

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I'm thinking of switching to Three broadband but looking at the Talk to Three page here there's a lot of complaints about it being down regularily, anyone with Three whats the signal etc like in Clonmel does it go down much? Want to be sure before i go into a 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I have the 3 modem you plug into your laptop. Never any major problems with it. My housemate has the wireless version though and she had a few issues initially.

I think it depends on where you are. E.G. 3 works perfectly in my house but O2 is a disaster and Vodafone is fairly slow.

Thanks, I have O2 at the moment and it works great here but the allowance just isn't big enough, that's the only reason im thinking of moving to Three

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

skintiam wrote: »
    Thanks, I have O2 at the moment and it works great here but the allowance just isn't big enough, that's the only reason im thinking of moving to Three

Ask them to rent one for a week to test the speed and if you're happy with it then you'll go into a contract.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Ask them to rent one for a week to test the speed and if you're happy with it then you'll go into a contract.

Good thinking, I'll look into that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

skintiam wrote: »

Good thinking, I'll look into that, thanks
    I'm outside of town and it was absolutely terrible. However,it's their lack of support or desire to help that's the real issue with Three. They will do anything in their power to trap you into that contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

So it has been confirmed officially that Clonmel Borough Council is to be abolished.

It seems there has been no reaction to this decision here.

When I consider the terrible work done on the Quay that blocked off a great view of the river Suir and the parkland on the other side I wonder how our local councilors allowed this to happen, i.e. destroy the best amenity the town had...................also the amount of negativity brought to bear on the work of the council, so many of them were against everything. I wonder are we losing anything of value, as I certainly don't think we were getting value for money from the work of the vast majority of councilors. One thing more the anti junket people will not have to worry about further money being spent on junkets.

Let the best be elected to Tipperary County Council. Next time that could be the amalgamation of North and South Ridings.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I agree that its a pity about the walls blocking the view of the river,but i would think the people destroyed by floods are only too happy to have that wall and other works...how would you suggest the water be stopped.Regarding polotics,why didnt our labour man jump ship when the army barracks was shut down????It took the moving of seats to find a conscience....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I see Abra in Dungarvan has also closed its doors, I wonder is this a coincidence to the Clonmel one shutting or have a number of them country wide shut? Tried the Noodle Bar in Irishtown yesterday. Really impressed a welcome addition to fast food dining in town!

Has the Clonmel Abra opened again ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DT100 wrote: »

Has the Clonmel Abra opened again ???

Yes under new management. Taco chips yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I've been in the Clonmel Abra this week. It's got a lick of paint, no more noisy telly/jukebox, and stripped off its neons. It looks very plain now, kind of like it wasn't an Abrakebabra anymore, but the food is the same. I never go at night, always during the day, and I've always found the place clean and welcoming, and food nice and fresh. New young waitress there was lovely.

I don't understand the bad reputation of the chain tbh, it's junk food allright, but better than a lot of other fast food places imo. I love the blt baguette, I go there just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

What I saw the other day sickend me in that the elected members of the council get free parking in town. Why should every other person that works in town have to pay for parking while our councillors don't while they are well remunerated for their council work already?

The sooner we are rid of the spongers that are our councillors the better. Why so bitter? Because I live in an estate in town which the council are refusing to take into care, I'm not looking for them to maintain the greens there simply the public lighting.

I also notice it is not possible to view Clonmel's budget on line I would love to see how much our town councillors are paid as I said the sooner these leaches are cut off the better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

DT100 wrote: »
    Regarding polotics,why didnt our labour man jump ship when the army barracks was shut down????It took the moving of seats to find a conscience....

I asked him that on a forum that he was active in recently and suprisingly he didnt reply!! I'm fairly sure he has his eyes set on the Dail as an independent. He wouldn't have a hope as part of labour. I really hope people see it for what it is should he run for election and finish him off. It's not the first time he's jumped ship, he left WUAG and beforehand I had voted for him, now there's not a hope I'd even answer the door to him should he call canvassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Politics are politics, thats the bottom line.

I have long given up on any expectation from politicians. Call me negative if you like, many would. Most of these guys and girls are what I would describe as career politicians, self interest in their long term careers.

Anyone, imo, who stands for election should be a proven leader, people who have proven themselves to have the talent and ideas to move us on through the problems times we live in.

Sadly, the bottom line is we have people whose ambishions that are self centered in party politics or ultimately in their own interest.

Great to see the Council are going ahead with the proposals to redevelop Denis Burke Park. Hopefully we can claim this space back from the scroungers using it as a drinking area and use it for its main purpose of providing a space for kids and parents alike to play, walk and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Great to see the Council are going ahead with the proposals to redevelop Denis Burke Park. Hopefully we can claim this space back from the scroungers using it as a drinking area and use it for its main purpose of providing a space for kids and parents alike to play, walk and enjoy

What's happening there? Used to be a great place when I was a young fella. Remember being collected from school and brought down there on a scorcher of a day for a picnic and a play on the swings and slide. That's a long time ago though. I'd imagine if you had a picnic there nowadays people would stare at you thinking your mad!!

Advertisement