Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

DT100 wrote: »
    I agree that its a pity about the walls blocking the view of the river,but i would think the people destroyed by floods are only too happy to have that wall and other works...how would you suggest the water be stopped.Regarding polotics,why didnt our labour man jump ship when the army barracks was shut down????It took the moving of seats to find a conscience....

Deep dredging of the river bed..............just have a look at what they did on the river Nore in the middle of Kilkenny city with a beautiful stonework city.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

What's happening there? Used to be a great place when I was a young fella. Remember being collected from school and brought down there on a scorcher of a day for a picnic and a play on the swings and slide. That's a long time ago though. I'd imagine if you had a picnic there nowadays people would stare at you thinking your mad!!

We're of a similar vintage so :D New playground & picnic areas, pathways, amphitheatre and boat dock proposed to be developed in various stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Xenophile wrote: »

Deep dredging of the river bed..............just have a look at what they did on the river Nore in the middle of Kilkenny city with a beautiful stonework city.

From what was dumped in the river over the years dredging of the river wasn't an option all kinds of "stuff" would be released into the river

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

alexmcred wrote: »
    From what was dumped in the river over the years dredging of the river wasn't an option all kinds of "stuff" would be released into the river

I heard from a fisheries officer years back that if they dredged it there would be so much bad stuff disturbed that it would not support life for a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I heard from a fisheries officer years back that if they dredged it there would be so much bad stuff disturbed that it would not support life for a very long time.

Yup heard pretty much the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Yup heard pretty much the same thing

I believe the Suir is the fastest flowing river in Ireland with a tremendous potential for self cleansing. Certain wild life could have taken refuge in the Anner and other streams including the Boola that flow from the Comeraghs.

The real problem is that Clonmel has had no political clout for many years at National or Local level.

Maybe we can count ourselves lucky from a tourist perspective that we are located close to Cashel and Cahir with their magnificent attractions of the Rock and Castle respectively.

Bye the way a glass wall of similar proportions would have been an option.

As regards building walls.................we should have seen the writing on the wall many years ago when a completely unnecessary high wall (no pun intended) was built at the Moangariff roundabout blocking a beautiful view of the river with the trees on the other side adding to a lovely picture post card scene that changed with the seasons.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Gardai say they are treating as suspicious, a fire which broke out
    at a pub in Clonmel in the early hours of this morning.

The fire broke out at the Golden Harp bar on Mitchel street,
    just before 3am.

A tenant upstairs was awoken by smoke and alerted the emergency
    services, he escaped unharmed.

The bar and a hair salon next door were extensively damaged in the
    blaze which is now under investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Shame to see one of the busiest pubs in Clonmel closed until further notice - see also there is no sign of the Mayfair/Verona reopening yet??

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Shame to see one of the busiest pubs in Clonmel closed until further notice - see also there is no sign of the Mayfair/Verona reopening yet??

What pub is that? The Harp?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

What pub is that? The Harp?

Yes.

Some people thought the Harp was decommissioned after the Good Friday Agreement but it's still going.

• Advertisement

I see the new Greyhound Stadium opened last night. It was badly needed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see the new Greyhound Stadium opened last night. It was badly needed.

Just in time for the coursing crowd, what's it like inside does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

place has gone to the dog's

For anyone interested and on Facebook, I came across a page recently called. "Clonmel Stories" there is a lot of photos of the town from way back. Some great pics there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

For anyone interested and on Facebook, I came across a page recently called. "Clonmel Stories" there is a lot of photos of the town from way back. Some great pics there.

Very interesting site.

On another topic, I notice it's "Coursing Weekend" rather than coursing week this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes.

Some people thought the Harp was decommissioned after the Good Friday Agreement but it's still going.

I laughed out loud when I read that, got strange looks from those around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

Was just looking at Facebook there, some great pictures. Can't remember most of them, too young! :) But very interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

The Verona (Mayfair) looks like it's still closed.

Does anyone know if it's just a long break or if it's gone again?

Cerbera wrote: »
    The Verona (Mayfair) looks like it's still closed.

Does anyone know if it's just a long break or if it's gone again?

Nobody knows, I suggested it here a few weeks back and was lambasted for doing so.

There seems to be someone on this thread who has some connection to the place. I'm sure they'll be on soon to put you right as to the situation.

The service was terrible there since they opened.Someone earlier said they were closed for renovation,surely that would have been done prior to opening under a new name??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Apparently Boston Scientific are having worldwide staff cuts, not known whether Clonmel included yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Does anyone know whether you'd have to reserve a table in Galileo's on a Thursday nite? Would it be that busy midweek?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether you'd have to reserve a table in Galileo's on a Thursday nite? Would it be that busy midweek?
    Very unlikely to need a booking

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Anytime I have walked past haven't seen anyone in there or even a light on so who knows.

Just in case there is a defense I am usually in the town 3-4 days of the week, and its just an opinion formed from passing by and see f** all happening inside

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Nobody knows, I suggested it here a few weeks back and was lambasted for doing so.

There seems to be someone on this thread who has some connection to the place. I'm sure they'll be on soon to put you right as to the situation.

Yeah for that person that said place been done-up am maybe take down xmas decorations and pick the post on the floor would be a start.....that place is closed for good AGAIN

Tk Max is coming to Showgrounds in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

copy1 wrote: »
    Tk Max is coming to Showgrounds in September.

Thats great news. That store will attract customer to Clonmel

talks of a supermarket as well going in down there.

I see plenty of visitors around already for the Coursing. Lets hope the town and new greyhound stadium does well.

• Advertisement

Anybody thats knows some1 looking for accommodation i have 1 space left due to cancellation today..thanks guys (support local)

Advertisement