Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

The said presenter hasn't been on air so far this week, I wonder is it just a coincidence ?

He was back this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Powerstown Park was open this morning to joggers/walkers though I was the only eejit there in the rain - plenty of muck about but that will disappear in time

Edit: just noticed the races are on today so that's maybe why its open so soon after the coursing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

How many laps of Powerstown park would you have to do to clock up 10k ?

tippspur wrote: »
    How many laps of Powerstown park would you have to do to clock up 10k ?

Roughly 1.35 mile (2.16km) per lap - 5 laps are 10.8 km

Hope that is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Is the Mayfair still closed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Cerbera wrote: »
    Is the Mayfair still closed?

Yes but saw a sign in the window that said it was opening under new management soon

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

alexmcred wrote: »
    Yes but saw a sign in the window that said it was opening under new management soon

whoever has it this time will have to do good food there very hard to get business back now being closed so many times,but hope it does well i ll def try it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anybody know when Supermacs is opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

ciano1 wrote: »
    Anybody know when Supermacs is opening?

It looks as if building has stalled there I'd say they are waiting to ensure the change of use planning is granted prior to re-commencing work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

alexmcred wrote: »
    It looks as if building has stalled there I'd say they are waiting to ensure the change of use planning is granted prior to re-commencing work

You mean the change of use for the old avonmore site, which I'm guessing LIDL intend taking.
    Supermac's have full planning permission for their own development, so what happens elsewhere shouldn't bother them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

archtech wrote: »
    You mean the change of use for the old avonmore site, which I'm guessing LIDL intend taking.
    Lidl are going to the old avonmore site?

Supermac's have full planning permission for their own development, so what happens elsewhere shouldn't bother them.
    where exactly is supermacs going?

yes chance wrote: »
    Lidl are going to the old avonmore site?

where exactly is supermacs going?
    At the back of the old Avonmore building, towards the railway line. As you turn into Tesco, it's to the right off the little roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I haven't read the Nationalist yet but I was told there is an article in it about Guineys Coming to Clonmel in the old Fitzgearld and Nash building,anyone hear any whispers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yes Guineys opening in Irishtown at Easter. Next also going into the Menarys building and along with TKmax to the showgrounds will improve the shopping choice in town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes Guineys opening in Irishtown at Easter. Next also going into the Menarys building and along with TKmax to the showgrounds will improve the shopping choice in town.

Great news all round for the town there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Medical devices firm Abbott has informed staff in Clonmel that it is seeking 206 redundancies from its permanent work force.
    The company is seeking to achieve the redundancies on a voluntary basis and is now entering into a 30-day consultation period with its employees.
    In addition, a few dozen contractor positions will not be renewed when their contracts expire at the end of March at the vascular manufacturing operations plant.
    The proposed redundancies are part of adjustments we are making to meet the evolving needs of the business and to remain competitive in a challenging global environment.
    Abbott's vascular facility in Clonmel currently employs more than 1,400 people, and the facility remains strategically important to Abbott's global vascular manufacturing network.
    The company says that in the future, the Clonmel site will focus primarily on the manufacture of newer, advanced medical devices.
    Capital investment will be made at the site this year to enable it to manufacture these innovative medical technologies.

Another bad news story for Clonmel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Anyone working in Abbott already knew something was brewing so not a major shock. I was talking to an employee tonight and he maintained they will get the 200 voluntary as the terms are 6 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if they do get the 200 voluntary or will it be oversubscribed?

It may benefit the company in the long run as such schemes usually improve efficiencies in the rest of the site. Again time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Not a shock to the employees at all.
    This has been rumoured for several months now.

Its a bad news story for Clonmel,but it wasent unexpected. To say its 'another' bad news story makes it sound like its been one bad body blow after the other. Clonmel like every town and city in the country has been badly affected by the recession end of....1200 people will stillbe employed by Abbott and hopefully in the future they may re-employ as well. I would be curious to know how many of the 200 actually live in the town? There seems to be an awful lot of non Clonmellians up there. Awful news for them and their families regardless

Its a bad news story for Clonmel,but it wasent unexpected. To say its 'another' bad news story makes it sound like its been one bad body blow after the other. Clonmel like every town and city in the country has been badly affected by the recession end of....1200 people will stillbe employed by Abbott and hopefully in the future they may re-employ as well. I would be curious to know how many of the 200 actually live in the town? There seems to be an awful lot of non Clonmellians up there. Awful
    news for them and their families regardless

Does it matter if theres an awful lot of non Clonmellians up ther? A lost job is a lost job,wherever a person is from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

SPI Ireland,the old Stada Ireland are looking at 15 redundancies with likely more to come in May,looks pretty bleak there tbh..

DT100 wrote: »
    Does it matter if theres an awful lot of non Clonmellians up ther? A lost job is a lost job,wherever a person is from.
    ch is exactly the point I made in my post if you care to read it properly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

dahat wrote: »

Thanks for that dahat. I wish the pictures paused for another two seconds each. Just as I was getting my bearings for where the place is it was gone and then somewhere else was up. Really enjoyed it though.

dahat wrote: »

Really enjoyed that - some great sites and a great way of promoting the town. Well done

The video above was made by Christopher Dolan,local lad,really enjoyed it myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

PacMan wrote: »
    Not a shock to the employees at all.
    This has been rumoured for several months now.

Not entirely a shock but I think people didn't expect it for another while. Doubt they will get so many volunteers but I could be wrong. Devastating for the town all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

The story is that they were looking for 188 operators and ended up getting close to 250. Do not know how true that it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The story is that they were looking for 188 operators and ended up getting close to 250. Do not know how true that it....
    188 was the number and i'm not sure how many applied but I should be able to find out.

Advertisement