Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

copy1 wrote: »
    it hurts when you see people been praised,getting media attention when you know what the are really like.

His twitter followers seem to adore the screen he tweets on.I cant understand it at all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

How's Gerry Chawkes pub doing these days?

I worked in Clonmel throughout 1990's and we used to all end up skulling pints in Chawke's pub. Great craic it was. The crew from AIB used to go there to.
    I got involved with a married one who worked in the AIB branch at the time. Amazing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

hinault wrote: »
    I got involved with a married one who worked in the AIB branch at the time. Amazing times.

Well done you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

cml387 wrote: »
    Well done you:rolleyes:

What do ye expect a young fella to do when it's put up to ye on a plate?

How is Chawke's faring these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Would anyone know of an art evaluator in the Clonmel/Tipperary area ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What do ye expect a young fella to do when it's put up to ye on a plate?

How is Chawke's faring these days?

Haven't been there in a few months but when I was last there it was still doing a good trade. Its Chawke's, one of "those" that seems to always have business and a good enjoyable one at that and long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

How's Gerry Chawkes pub doing these days?

I worked in Clonmel throughout 1990's and we used to all end up skulling pints in Chawke's pub. Great craic it was. The crew from AIB used to go there to.
    Gerry is a very happy man these days after Limerick winning their first Munster hurling final in 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

tippspur wrote: »
    Gerry is a very happy man these days after Limerick winning their first Munster hurling final in 17 years.
    If Limerick win the all Ireland, will he sell drink at 1973 prices for a, day like he did when Tipp won the all Ireland in 1989?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

LoveCoke wrote: »
    what law is he breaking?

Well he is not paying Irish motor tax for a start - think its a Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel probably 2009 so i reckon the tax is about €600 per year but depending on the model could be a lot more. Think he has been using this car for at least a year now at this stage - probably more.

More importantly he's driving the car daily on Irish roads and he is an Irish resident - but no VRT has been paid on the vehicle - again going on the type of car, a rough and conservative estimate on the cost of VRT to clear this vehicle for use on Irish roads I reckon to be about €6000 - again could be more, i doubt it would be much less.

Haven't heard his comments on the UK company angle as to why he is driving a UK registered car on Irish roads as a daily driver - I know he is in the business of importing cars from the UK and selling them on here - maybe he can get away with it that way, I would be surprised though as many dealers sell UK imports but don't use them as a daily driver so its a strange one - I would be surprised if customs could not take action - they have power to take the car off you as @darragh explained -

• Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

is there any good personal fitness trainer in clonmel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Headshot wrote: »
    is there any good personal fitness trainer in clonmel?

Richard Kennedy in Rathgormack is really good, not exactly in Clonmel but its not too far away. He calls himself Fitness Freak, you have probably seen his van around Clonmel because he does classes in alot of the factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If u like his Facebook page he is currently doing Pre-Pre season training for Stephen Hunt so this to me is a big plus for him and his methods.

Now Georgie has mentioned on the radio a few times that the car is "Not His" and that its belonging to some company in the UK who let him use it.

Think this is the loophole that is being exploited here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    10. Can a State resident drive a foreign registered vehicle for business use?
    A State resident can not normally drive a foreign registered vehicle for business use. However, there are a number of exceptional circumstances in which this rule does not apply. Those exceptional circumstances are:-

A State resident who is employed by an employer established in another Member State may, on application to the Revenue Commissioners, be approved to use a Category A vehicle or a motor-cycle registered in another Member State (either owned or leased by the employer) for business/private use in the State provided
    the vehicle is provided as part of the contract of the employment, and
    it is used principally for business use outside the State.
    Application forms for this temporary exemption are available from any Revenue Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

As far as I am aware George is allowed drive it as it is stock in his garage. There is no need for him to vrt it as it may never be sold here allowing him to return it to the uk if it doesn't sell.

Far too much is being made of this on this site, plenty of dealers do this.

On the other hand I saw his sister driving a UK reg car the other day too. not sure how ethical or legal that is !

Think he would need a garage plate on it so? Not sure about it being stock, its obviously for his personal use, been his daily driver for over a year - never on the forecourt with a price on it - but if he can exploit a loophole for some tax avoidance, then the onus is on revenue to prevent it, George is only taking advantage of the situation. Lots of people do similar.

As for his sister driving a UK reg, if she is a member of the board of Mordaunt Group then she is entitled to do the same as George - I still think you need a garage plate displayed though - otherwise if she can get away with it too, she might as well.

Not sure its a lot being made of it, We all pay VRT and Motor Tax, I guess people wonder why its not same rules for everyone - George has set himself up as a commentator on the fairness of banking business towards small business people - I guess people see him not paying certain taxes and wonder how is that fair -

From my point of view I would genuinely like to know how its possible to be done as customs/revenue are very strict about lads driving UK reg's and the consequences if caught when not complying are big - fines/car taken from you. I wouldn't wish George any ill-will or be a detractor of his at all, good luck to him in his endeavors - Im just curious on the car taxes situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

I must say the flowers around town are beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ami1989

Would anyone know where I can buy a digital slr camera in town besides Argos and DID?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

ami1989 wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I can buy a digital slr camera in town besides Argos and DID?

McAuleys maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ami1989 wrote: »

Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Very sad news on Dawn Fresh Foods closing:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/town-devastated-as-10pc-of-population-laid-off-29469342.html

From my sources here is the real nub of the problem for Quealys:

"The closure is understood to be unrelated to the fact a UK subsidiary of DFF, Oak Farm Foods, was drawn into the horse-meat controversy last February."

I hear they are stuck with a huge stockpile (cost millions initially) of horse meat that is now worthless. Shame they took it out on the Fethard staff.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/town-devastated-as-10pc-of-population-laid-off-29469342.html
    "The closure is understood to be unrelated to the fact a UK subsidiary of DFF, Oak Farm Foods, was drawn into the horse-meat controversy last February."
    I hear they are stuck with a huge stockpile (cost millions initially) of horse meat that is now worthless. Shame they took it out on the Fethard staff.

Fethard is a lovely little town, but it is dying on its feet at the moment. 2 grocery shops closed in the last year. The only business seems to be the betting shops and the pubs. 10% of the town worked in Dawn Foods! Terrible, terrible news. The knock on effect for the remaining business' must be dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Funny that you mention this. I have some 1st hand sources too and it's the same as you're saying.

Dawn Meats in Waterford are very lucky however as they are providing McDonalds there with their meat. Only for that they'd be closing 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

your sources? That is not news everyone know why they are closing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

alyssum wrote: »

My source is someone working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sad day for Fethard,not much else going on around that area work wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

callaway92 wrote: »
    My source is someone working there.
    ok wasn't you i was responding to. anyway as said to other poster it is hardly news why they are closing. lots of people must have sources

My source was someone well connected in the Agri sector. The reason why I mentioned the stockpile of horse meat and the cute way the Independent attached it on its article, was that is the real reason why the plant closed. Ok mince based ready meals are not selling as well however its not anyway near as bad to cause the closure, plus sterling is moving more favorable.

To pardon the pun Queally's are spinning horse manure on the real reason.

alyssum wrote: »

Care to enlighten us?

• Advertisement

None of those links cost the amount of worthless horse meat Queally's have in stock that is effectively a 100% loss (will be a cost for disposal possibly), my understanding is that it is millions of euro.

The loss being made at Dawn Fresh Foods is miniscule in comparison.

Advertisement