Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

dedocdude wrote: »
    no sign of this move in the end

Dont worry he wont be looking over dunnes carpark for to long more

no sign of this move in the end

you must be a George fan haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

tinyk68 wrote: »
    What about a run along the river bank from the Gashouse Bridge to Two Mile Bridge at Ferryhouse. That's a nice run and there's no traffic.
    Is there a footpath all the way or what's the surface?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

I see planning permission for a new coffee shop in narrow street where old nest shop is, this shouldn't be allowed that street already has Niamhs, mayfair, larissa's & Hewitts opening another one will just close one of the others I think there's enough cafes in the town already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

tippspur wrote: »
    Is there a footpath all the way or what's the surface?

Footpath / trail all the way. From memory surface varies between concrete path, gravelly path and tarmac (I think). Its quite good for running but quite narrow in parts as the County Council hasn't cut the flora back and the nettles are taking over - watch out for the cider drinkers and I wouldn't recommend a female running on her own - though I've never had a issue - parts of the trail are quite lonely and isolated down towards St Thomas' bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Royco wrote: »
    I see planning permission for a new coffee shop in narrow street where old nest shop is, this shouldn't be allowed that street already has Niamhs, mayfair, larissa's & Hewitts opening another one will just close one of the others I think there's enough cafes in the town already

Perhaps the one that open will close, of course it should be allowed, whoever running the new one should have considered the amount of direct competition it has in the area before deciding on location.

It is a poor decision but I can't see it closing any of the exsiting ones.

So basically nowadays the narrow street will only have barbers and coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

I don't think you can remotely call Mayfair a "coffee shop". In fact the only one a new Cafe would be a direct competition to would be Niamh's and it's nearly impossible to get a seat in there at times. And I don't think there are enough good places to sit and have a coffee and a chat in the town. The fact that a number are located on the one street does not mean there is not demand for another cafe in the town. And having a number of cafes in the same area does not have to be a bad thing. Having clusters of cafes etc in a pedestrian friendly area seems to work well in many other towns and cities so I don't see why it would be a problem in Clonmel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

To be fair Larrissa's and Hewitts are cafes as well. Larrissa do a savage full irish as well... mmmm....

AK333 wrote: »
    Footpath / trail all the way. From memory surface varies between concrete path, gravelly path and tarmac (I think). Its quite good for running but quite narrow in parts as the County Council hasn't cut the flora back and the nettles are taking over - watch out for the cider drinkers and I wouldn't recommend a female running on her own - though I've never had a issue - parts of the trail are quite lonely and isolated down towards St Thomas' bridge.

You could do the circuit. Start at Gashouse bridge, down to two mile bridge, cross that bridge and come back Coleville Road. It's a bit longer, but may not be so lonely. (Wouldn't run the riverside path after rain, as it can be slippy) The racecourse is a good one. It has a bit of hill as well as flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

copy1 wrote: »
    you must be a George fan haha

ah i dont mind him to be honest - Meet Auld Brian most mornings out walking, hes a grand auld skin.

• Advertisement

You could do the circuit. Start at Gashouse bridge, down to two mile bridge, cross that bridge and come back Coleville Road. It's a bit longer, but may not be so lonely. (Wouldn't run the riverside path after rain, as it can be slippy) The racecourse is a good one. It has a bit of hill as well as flat.

Up near those flats and raheen crt near gashouse bridge you can often get a few 'chaps' out at the river if the weather is nice early in the morning, been up all night by the look of them - never had bother running past but u never know. If you are doing that coleville road loop, id say keep on the road till Dunnes and cut down to the river thru there - path shouldnt be too slippy unless ur traveling like Usain Bolt.

Might meet a few polish lads fishing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Lads, I have been hearing good things about the Mayfair so I popped in last night.
    Have to say it was the best takeaway Fish and Chips I have had in years. Back to the hay days when Nicky himself or Sparky had it !

Miss Ellies in Irishtown is fairly good too. The potato cakes are excellent.

ah i dont mind him to be honest - Meet Auld Brian most mornings out walking, hes a grand auld skin.

Brian Snr is a Gentleman.

Miss Ellies in Irishtown is fairly good too. The potato cakes are excellent.

They are nice but i find small amount of chips,but here a good one for ye,down in Planet playground last week end,got pizza there OMG..I Never know they do take away...But Clerihan fish and chips are to die for:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

if you think that why do you not object to planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

copy1 wrote: »
    Dont worry he wont be looking over dunnes carpark for to long more
    so my sources tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It's almost impossible to get a seat in a café in Clonmel in peak times but that's only for 1.5 hours a day so I'm not sure how they fare outside of that time. Like everything the market will decide.

The Nest would be a nice big venue for a coffee shops; Niamh's, Larissa's are very small and pokey.

Meathlass wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to get a seat in a café in Clonmel in peak times but that's only for 1.5 hours a day so I'm not sure how they fare outside of that time. Like everything the market will decide.

The Nest would be a nice big venue for a coffee shops; Niamh's, Larissa's are very small and pokey.

There was a cafe upstairs in The Nest probably 20 years ago anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

There was a cafe upstairs in The Nest probably 20 years ago anyway

and a wine bar that sold the craziest sangria ever ! oh the hangovers !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Meathlass wrote: »

I wonder would any of the existing cafes be moving up there? Would Niamhs be the same if it moved to a bigger premises? God knows they'd fill it at lunch time.

I agree with the above comment both places can be very pokey at the best of times and to be honest I try to avoid them at peak times if I can. Getting a table in niamhs at lunchtime can take 20-25 mins, it makes your lunch very short if you've only an hour....

Anyway, it's great to see another business opening in the town and not on the outskirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Just to let you all know that Clonmel Athletic Club have their Half Marathon on Sunday, starting at 11am on the bypass, going out via Cahir Road, Barne, Wood Road and back down bypass to LIT. If you can, please come out and support us - I'll be at the back!:) Nice buzz down at the LIT earlier this afternoon. Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

There are some amount of cafes in the town though - all very busy between 12 noon and 230pm but have been in 2 of them recently at approx 3pm and no-one else in there....

Good to see new business in town though opening compared to out the bypass etc...

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Can you have black rabbits in the wild?

The reason I ask is as follows:

On quite a few evenings in the last week, cycling from the junction where Gurtnafleur meets the bypass to the roundabout (in front of Clonmel Chemicals),I have seen a little black rabbit playing on the grass verge. He runs into cover as I pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

cml387 wrote: »

On quite a few evenings in the last week, cycling from the junction where Gurtnafleur meets the bypass to the roundabout (in front of Clonmel Chemicals),I have seen a little black rabbit playing on the grass verge. He runs into cover as I pass.

I saw him there this morning. He is very small, so I presume young. He ran for shelter as I cycled past as well, so maybe he will live for a while, busy road!
    I don't think black rabbits can breed, so he is probably an escapee.
    Have seen a few big ones on some of the country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

cml387 wrote: »

I've seen a few black rabbits in the wild over the years, its just a genetic thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

AK333 wrote: »
    Just to let you all know that Clonmel Athletic Club have their Half Marathon on Sunday, starting at 11am on the bypass, going out via Cahir Road, Barne, Wood Road and back down bypass to LIT. If you can, please come out and support us - I'll be at the back!:) Nice buzz down at the LIT earlier this afternoon. Good luck to all
    And best of luck to you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Work going on at O'Connell Mall and the Exhibition House. Any clue as to whats going in there?

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Work going on at O'Connell Mall and the Exhibition House. Any clue as to whats going in there?

Is Dealz not going into the O'Connell Mall?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Quick question on a slightly different note - when work is going on overnight ie laying tarmac in the centre of town are the local authority supposed to notify you in advance?

Have been caught on this twice over the last four years, not good what with an exam coming up on Monday!

thanks in advance
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Loughc wrote: »
    Is Dealz not going into the O'Connell Mall?

Dealz are going in there alright

Advertisement