Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

I believe it's more of a supermarket with groceries than the likes of the euro shop. Huge shop unit now that it's all one space and it makes some difference having that redundant recess and horrible shutter gone from the main street.
    Ahhhhhh, back to the old Woolworths days!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi Guys

Moving to Clonmel in a few weeks. I'm thinking of getting a place in the town centrish type area. Whats traffic like in Clonmel? I'll be travelling in the Cashel road most evenings. I know from previous experiences in towns like Clonmel that if you live in the wrong part you could be sitting in traffic for "hours" just to go a few hundred yards. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Ta muchly,

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Moving to Clonmel in a few weeks. I'm thinking of getting a place in the town centrish type area. Whats traffic like in Clonmel? I'll be travelling in the Cashel road most evenings. I know from previous experiences in towns like Clonmel that if you live in the wrong part you could be sitting in traffic for "hours" just to go a few hundred yards. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Ta muchly,

Frogeye

You won't be stuck for "hours" anywhere at anytime in Clonmel.

Coming in the Cashel Road you may get caught at shift change of Abbot and Boston, other than that just avoid school hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

cml387 wrote: »
    You won't be stuck for "hours" anywhere at anytime in Clonmel.QUOTE]

Thanks. The "hours" thing wasn't meant to be literal... just to indicate a long wait for a short journey. I recall one place in Killarney where it took me 25 minutes to drive 300metres. That felt like hours.

thanks again.

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

4.30 is the time when you'll get caught on the Cashel Road.
    Lots of nice little houses around there though if you're looking to rent in that area, lots of house shares too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

touts wrote: »
    Great news about TK Maxx (great for mens clothes and kitchen stuff) but where are they going to go in the Showgrounds. They tend to be quite large stores don't they? I would have thought the units that were left were all fairly small by TK Maxx standards. Maybe they can combine two units.
    Beside Sam McCauley. Huge place on two floors. great prices and free parking. Bought couple mens shirts as gifts. Brilliant reason to go to Clonmel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Fantastic new tkmax opened today in the showgrounds looks a bigger operation than the Waterford and kilkenny equivalents in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

New TKMAX is a fine job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I met a couple of mates in town today and we went for lunch in the My Cafe place and we were very disappointed, none of us liked what we got.

Myself I had the soup (which was a tasteless carrot soup) and was served with one slice of stale (well very dry and hard anyway) brown bread and I had to search through the spoons to find a properly clean one.

It's gone down a long way since Chapman's and they went bust, I'd be surprised if this crowd last.

I was very surprised by the place.

Is it normally bad or were we just unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Cerbera wrote: »
    I met a couple of mates in town today and we went for lunch in the My Cafe place and we were very disappointed, none of us liked what we got.

Myself I had the soup (which was a tasteless carrot soup) and was served with one slice of stale (well very dry and hard anyway) brown bread and I had to search through the spoons to find a properly clean one.

It's gone down a long way since Chapman's and they went bust, I'd be surprised if this crowd last.

I have to say i agree with you...now i have to say we were in Planet Playground during the week and big change in cafe there,i would recommend a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Had a gorgeous omelette and kiddy had great proper filet of fish "fishfingers" with yummy chips in the new Mayfair this week, service was friendly and helpful, recommended for a good chipper experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Cerbera wrote: »
    I had to search through the spoons to find a properly clean one.

Not unlucky no this has happened me three times in there now I've stopped going in cutlery is always dirty and counter service is fine but then the table service is terrible and slow, either something missing or order is wrong got fed up with place, I like the buttermarket but menu is small and limited, have tried café at planet playground and would also recommend it had fantastic homemade battered chicken goujons there, struggled to finish portions are very big, menu is extensive enough, May fair is ok always liked it there as chippers go, O'gormans café must be worst in town in my opinion.

I would recommend Hickeys in Irishtown. A bit dearer but the food is top notch and the lunch specials are super since they put a push on lunch service.

Also on the same street Quimby's is quiet good aswell never have a bad meal their.

Finally a bit out of the center of town but for lunch (12.30 - 2pm) the 19Th Hole is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Finally a bit out of the center of town but for lunch (12.30 - 2pm) the 19Th Hole is spot on.

+ 1 - I think the same thing. I always like the Buttermarket too, but a bit ladies that lunch, but love the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I would recommend Hickeys in Irishtown. A bit dearer but the food is top notch and the lunch specials are super since they put a push on lunch service.

Where is that?

Here the website

http://www.hickeysbakery.com/

Right beside the Irishtown Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Here the website

http://www.hickeysbakery.com/

Right beside the Irishtown Arch.

irishtown arch? The Westgate I take it you mean..

Sorry could not think of the name when posting, correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That TK-MAX is a huge place,mobbed down there today,a great addition to Clonmel and the M&S centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

i was in my cafe today (saturday) also and though it was grand. Mayfair? used to get chips there after a night on the lash - thats about it, used to deliver stuff there back in Sparky's day, only a place i would eat out of after a feed of beer.

As for TK Maxx, have not been in there yet, its great for the development to have it and all, but as a local resident, if one more person parks across my gate to run down to the showgrounds, I'm gonna start clamping. Seriously theres parking there and also a large carpark at Dunnes nearby. no need to be blocking me in/out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

dedocdude wrote: »
    i was in my cafe today (saturday) also and though it was grand. Mayfair? used to get chips there after a night on the lash - thats about it, used to deliver stuff there back in Sparky's day, only a place i would eat out of after a feed of beer.

As for TK Maxx, have not been in there yet, its great for the development to have it and all, but as a local resident, if one more person parks across my gate to run down to the showgrounds, I'm gonna start clamping. Seriously theres parking there and also a large carpark at Dunnes nearby. no need to be blocking me in/out
    haha,I passed up that way earlier today and the parking across the road from m&s was crazy,I'd say your gate was def blocked.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭dedocdude

tippspur wrote: »
    haha,I passed up that way earlier today and the parking across the road from m&s was crazy,I'd say your gate was def blocked.:)

its a great development there im delighted to have it close by, its just just when you get a new opening or Xmas time some people with no consideration just abandon the cars. ah - its just human nature, i have probably done it in Thurles on a match day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

dedocdude wrote: »

I had a very similar problem a few years ago in a place I was renting. The residents association got together and started taking off the wiper blades for any car that was parked blocking an entrance. They would leave a note explaining that the car was illegally parked blocking a private entrance and their wiper blades had been removed as a result. They could have them back by calling a particular number. They would then call the number and be told that someone would be with them within the hour. Drove them nuts. If they called into the house of the person they were blocking that person knew to say "Oh I'm very sorry. It's the residents association. I don't have your blades". A few called the guards who basically laughed at them and even issued a few of them tickets for dangerous parking. Eventually the guards started patrolling the area and issuing tickets. Word got around and the problem stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Was in the centre a couple of times over the weekend. It was so busy it was like Christmas. It also seemed to be a very different style of TK Maxx. Even though it was busy it was almost pleasant to shop there. Nice lighting and colour scheme around the shop. Lots of staff to help and keeping the racks full but in order. It certainly didn't feel like a cheap pack the racks style place. The center now has a very good lineup of anchor shops (TK Maxx, M&S, Argos) that will attract a lot of business to support smaller shops. If they could get a toy shop, an electrical store and a proper bookshop they would really attract business from around the region.

It will suck the life out of the town center though. It wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Easons, Specsavers etc were tempted to move. The council will have to do something to attract people into the town centre. Free parking would be a start. And it's not that long a walk from the Showgrounds to the town centre. Certainly if you go many other large towns and cities people would think nothing of walking that distance. It is just in Clonmel there really is nothing in the space between the two areas. They should look at initiatives to encourage people to do that. Perhaps when they are looking at things to do with the old barracks they should look at putting a large carpark there with some of the buildings being used to house tourist information, playground, restaurants and art/craft gallery’s etc. Something to act as a hub linking the two shopping areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

touts wrote: »
    The council will have to do something to attract people into the town centre. Free parking would be a start.

Sadly they wont though, the council are rather asleep at the wheel, too stupid to see the damage they have caused, or too busy counting their "expenses" to be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Was around town the first day that TK Maxx opened in the Showgrounds last Thursday - unbelieveably busy to be fair......will hopefully bring some life to the Showgrounds estate though.....as Touts says though it will take business away from the town?

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Sadly they wont though, the council are rather asleep at the wheel, too stupid to see the damage they have caused, or too busy counting their "expenses" to be bothered.

You can hardly expect the corporation to get rid of a major source of income.
    If that goes then the commercial rates will have to go up.
    The property tax is supposed to make up local government funding, but we don't want to pay that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

cml387 wrote: »
    You can hardly expect the corporation to get rid of a major source of income.
    If that goes then the commercial rates will have to go up.
    The property tax is supposed to make up local government funding, but we don't want to pay that either.

Apart altogether from the income side of it, why should there be free parking in the town centre ?
    So that every office worker can park their car at 8.30am and leave it on O'Connell Street until after 6.00 pm ?
    That will certainly improve traffic flow through the town and footfall in the shops in the town centre:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

2hrs free parking and reducing the parking rates would help, or a parking validation scheme where you get free parking if you spend more than x amount in a shop. ( in fairness this would take some thinking - not much but more than your average councillor will do per annum )

instead they allow free parking in the out of town centres sucking the business out of the centre.

traffic issues in clonmel - cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Ya cop on...

Advertisement