Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

blastit wrote: »
    Its not supermacs is it? Where GBM was on the bypass is not the same place as SMACS

No.
    There seems to be an urban legend that Supermacs were going into the old GBM garage building opposite Tesco's. AFAIK they never had any intention of moving in there and they don't own the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

cml387 wrote: »
    No.
    There seems to be an urban legend that Supermacs were going into the old GBM garage building opposite Tesco's. AFAIK they never had any intention of moving in there and they don't own the site.

Word had it at the time it that supermacs did buy the site (at a knockdown price) as a plan b location as it took two attempts to get planning where they are due to a third party objector.

I wonder what will happen to mordant's Davis road premises, will Nissan be returning to it under Barlo's or A.N. Other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

This is what I have heard re Mordaunt.. Nama sold the site to Supermacs number of years back... At a nice price if its true no doubt. Georgie is renting his old premises from Pat Mac now, and Aldi are opening a second store in the his old yard on the Davis Rd... Dunno how factual this is, but its only a matter of time before Aldi open a second store, the one on the western road is bursting at the seams. What better site than beside Lidl on the Davis Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

This is what I have heard re Mordaunt.. Nama sold the site to Supermacs number of years back... At a nice price if its true no doubt. Georgie is renting his old premises from Pat Mac now, and Aldi are opening a second store in the his old yard on the Davis Rd... Dunno how factual this is, but its only a matter of time before Aldi open a second store, the one on the western road is bursting at the seams. What better site than beside Lidl on the Davis Road?
    Have they planning? Weren't they refused planning for a store near Lidl? That was in 2011 planning application 11550002. There is no further planning application i can find

It's just the story going round, and it seems plausible.. Time will tell, they have to go somewhere, and theres no shortage of money there...

• Advertisement

It's just the story going round, and it seems plausible.. Time will tell, they have to go somewhere, and theres no shortage of money there...
    In other words rumour. Stories are no good with out planning permission so how can it be plausible? They would have to make a new application to the planning authority so it cannot be plausible. Aldi were refused pp near Lidl, they wanted to build a roundabout as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

There is an Aldi in Cahir, Clonmel, Carrick and soon Tipp Town. There isnt a market for a second one in Clonmel. Maybe Cashel but not Clonmel.

touts wrote: »
    There is an Aldi in Cahir, Clonmel, Carrick and soon Tipp Town. There isnt a market for a second one in Clonmel. Maybe Cashel but not Clonmel.

Only a matter of time before another one opens in town..

it will need planning...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

By that logic its only a matter of time before another M&S opens in Clonmel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,486 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If Aldi did decide to open another store in Clonemel they would feel there was demand for one. If it is out the Davis Road. There probably hoping to steal a bit of business off Lidl. Some towns have two Aldi's in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Difference is that you don't have queues outside M&S every Sunday and Thursday.
    Nor do you have throngs of people in there everyday for their food bargains.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Difference is that you don't have queues outside M&S every Sunday and Thursday.
    Nor do you have throngs of people in there everyday for their food bargains.

My old home town Mullingar has an application for a second Lidl on the other side of the town. Admittedly the original Lidl is about two miles on the eastern side of Mullingar, but you can see the trend. Athlone will soon have a second Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I wonder will George e have free helicopter rides with the opening of his new garage.

Apples and oranges there touts.... Aldi are cleaning up in town, and the shop they have is falling apart due to it.. Staff up the walls all day long I'd imagine.. Just walk in there anyday and look at them flying around the place... Take a stroll around M&S, now theres a handy job! Within a year there'll be Aldi 2 in town i reckon, and as someone already said some towns have 2 already, Tralee for example...

Apples and oranges there touts.... Aldi are cleaning up in town, and the shop they have is falling apart due to it.. Staff up the walls all day long I'd imagine.. Just walk in there anyday and look at them flying around the place... Take a stroll around M&S, now theres a handy job! Within a year there'll be Aldi 2 in town i reckon, and as someone already said some towns have 2 already, Tralee for example...
    Thy will have to get planning first and were refused it before

archtech wrote: »
    Word had it at the time it that supermacs did buy the site (at a knockdown price) as a plan b location as it took two attempts to get planning where they are due to a third party objector.

I wonder what will happen to mordant's Davis road premises, will Nissan be returning to it under Barlo's or A.N. Other ?
    Do you know what name the planning application was under?

blastit wrote: »
    Thy will have to get planning first and were refused it before

Thanks for that Dr Plan... You'd swear you were the only person who ever heard of planning.. Ever hear the phrase if you have nothing useful to say say nothing!

Thanks for that Dr Plan... You'd swear you were the only person who ever heard of planning.. Ever hear the phrase if you have nothing useful to say say nothing!
    and you think they will have a new store because you think so and you think theyare up the wall busy or it is the story going around lol
    if you have nothing useful to say say nothing!
    you should take that on board cos your continued whining about aldi is useless. Maybe you should deal in facts and read why they were refused. The fact some towns have two is irrelevant, each application is individual. Why don't you go to the town hall and say some towns have two and there fore Clonmel should have. You have not a clue about how these thing work and rely on what you imagne and rumour
    You'd swear you were the only person who ever heard of planning
    you have obviously never heard of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

All sorts of roomers going around. I heard Bolands have taken the lease on the showroom beside lidl/dunnes and that they will be selling Hyundai and Land Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads, is Mordaunts Nissan gone from the Davis Rd ?
    If so I feel so sorry for Brian Senior seeing the company he built from scratch being finally put to rest.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    lads, is Mordaunts Nissan gone from the Davis Rd ?
    If so I feel so sorry for Brian Senior seeing the company he built from scratch being finally put to rest.
    Not gone yet but the name is up on the new place so move seems imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A motor trade business based in Powerstown, Clonmel received an inquiry during the week as to where the NDLS ie the National Driver License Service office was located ........ http://www.ndls.ie/ the information as to their location says Powerstown House............a relatively unoccupied building and few locals would know where to find it. So it might be helpful to say that the office is in Gortnafleur Business Park almost at the eastern end of the N24 link road in fact the last exit on the left going towards Waterford.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Is it just me or do they seem odd locations. Obscure units in semi occupied industrial estates.
    Still, I suppose this what happens when you outsource a service to the private sector.
    I guess they got a good rental deal on some NAMA properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

cml387 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do they seem odd locations. Obscure units in semi occupied industrial estates.
    Still, I suppose this what happens when you outsource a service to the private sector.
    I guess they got a good rental deal on some NAMA properties.

Not sure about other centres but the one in Clonmel, just near Planet Playground is not obscure. Its for people with driving licences/permits so presumably they could drive there and there's plenty of parking. Easier spot to get to than Motor Tax office in emmet street. Did anyone see those jobs advertised?

AK333 wrote: »
    Not sure about other centres but the one in Clonmel, just near Planet Playground is not obscure. Its for people with driving licences/permits so presumably they could drive there and there's plenty of parking. Easier spot to get to than Motor Tax office in emmet street. Did anyone see those jobs advertised?

Big thread in Work and Jobs about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Walked past the Station House Tavern (Bates) on Thomas St, when I saw it's being renamed "Coopers" the sign redesigned in Black writing on Red coloured banner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

they're after doing it up inside as well,plus the restaurant is nearly ready,should be nice,handy for people that want a bit of grub after getting of a bus or train.

Advertisement