Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

blastit wrote: »
    you are pretty nieve if you think a main dealer would not do that. i know of several cases where a dealer has told someone they need a huge amount of work/cost to pass nct and a 'backyard mechanic' or similar words as someone called them got them through for much less and knew the some of the thing s the garage said were needed were not

OK, fair enough.
    I'm sure all your "backyard mechanics" are as good as all the ones in the dealers.
    It great to think that they are contributing to the economy so much by paying all their tax, PRSI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

Vizzy wrote: »
    OK, fair enough.
    I'm sure all your "backyard mechanics" are as good as all the ones in the dealers.
    It great to think that they are contributing to the economy so much by paying all their tax, PRSI etc.
    I never said they were not paying tax. I am talking about mechanic who works from home.What makes you think they don't pay tax? You think the garages would pay any tax they could avoid?
    .I'm sure all your "backyard mechanics" are as good as all the ones in the dealers
    . The one I refer to is better, I would place more trust in them than any garage. Garage mechanics have to do as told when faced with the little old lady scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Garage mechanics have to do as told when faced with the little old lady scenario.

You are making far too much out of this little old lady scenario. What you refer to is so rare it's non existent. You are not being fair to all the decent motor repair garages that give good service and honest value.

"The little old lady" you refer to is much more likely to be ripped off by so called professionals such as solicitors, dentists etc.

The little old lady would hardly ever venture into a garage workshop on her own. Hardly ever drives the car and puts up very little mileage. And is well capable of taking advice from friends and family. I have been around garage workshops for over fifty years now!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    You are making far too much out of this little old lady scenario. What you refer to is so rare it's non existent. You are not being fair to all the decent motor repair garages that give good service and honest value.

"The little old lady" you refer to is much more likely to be ripped off by so called professionals such as solicitors, dentists etc.

The little old lady would hardly ever venture into a garage workshop on her own. Hardly ever drives the car and puts up very little mileage. And is well capable of taking advice from friends and family. I have been around garage workshops for over fifty years now!

and my back yarder is around as long
    What you refer to is so rare it's non existent. You are not being fair to all the decent motor repair garages that give good service and honest value
    its existent all right

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Guiney's in Irishtown coming together it seems. Hoarding is down. What is going on in O'Connell Street where there used to be a Chemist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Guiney's in Irishtown coming together it seems. Hoarding is down. What is going on in O'Connell Street where there used to be a Chemist?

The chemist is going back in there afaik. It looks like theyre just doing a complete overhaul of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

The chemist is going back in there afaik. It looks like theyre just doing a complete overhaul of the building.

Complete revamp of the pharmacy to passive house standards. It will be the first pharmacy in europe to be certified. It will also be the second passive house certified commercial building in ireland after tesco in tramore. They are also building an apartment over head to the same standard.

Anyone know whats going into the old Ulster Bank premises? Seen a bit of work going on there a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Complete revamp of the pharmacy to passive house standards. It will be the first pharmacy in europe to be certified. It will also be the second passive house certified commercial building in ireland after tesco in tramore. They are also building an apartment over head to the same standard.
    Passive house standards??I'm lost,or thick;)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

tippspur wrote: »
    Passive house standards??I'm lost,or thick;)

Basically very low energy consuming building. It typically is designed to have little or no primary heating source, and relies on orientation, internal heat gains, and heat recovery methods to maintain a constant temperature of 21deg inside, along with high levels of insulation

• Advertisement

Do you know that there is a town in Queensland, Australia named after Clonmel. The link is listed below, it does indeed seem still to have strong Irish connections and heritage. Would love to have more information on this town.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/AS/04/Clonmel.html

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Do you know that there is a town in Queensland, Australia named after Clonmel. The link is listed below, it does indeed seem still to have strong Irish connections and heritage. Would love to have more information on this town.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/AS/04/Clonmel.html

Theres one on the east coast of the USA too, friend of mine ended up there after a few years of traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Theres one on the east coast of the USA too, friend of mine ended up there after a few years of traveling.

That'll teach him for blindly following the Sat Nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Especially when he was looking for the one in Queensland!!;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

There's also a Clonmel in Kansas, United States. Stumbled across it on Twitter. It seems to be very small though and more of a 'townsland' for want of a better word.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Clonmel&state=KS

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Clonmel+kansas&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87bac4cc30c6ea5b:0x96b1b075f87017a1,Clonmel,+Viola,+KS+67149,+USA&gl=ie&ei=49eDUrSfMOWg7Aaw-IDoBw&ved=0CIYBELYDMAo

Clonmel must have some of the best Coffee Shops and Cafes and maybe the most numerous compared with any similar size town in Ireland.

Some of them are listed below in order to help a young lady is moving to the town and wishes to find work in this line of work.

The list primarily consists of places where people can go for coffee during the day. Major restaurants are not included

O’Tuamas...........................................opposite Superquinn
    My Culture Cafe.................................opposite Superquinn
    Niamhs, Mitchell Street.
    Larrissa L, Mitchell Street
    Hewitts, Mitchell Street
    Buttermarket Coffee House, Market Street.
    Quimby’s............in centre of Irishtown.
    Hickey’s .....Westgate
    O ‘Gormans.....O Connell Street.
    Crazy Noodles.........Irishtown
    Babylon Kebab.....Irishtown
    Coyles Cafe.........Marystone.....just off Gladstone Street.
    McDonalds .........Gladstone Street.
    Mulcahy’s .............Gladstone Street
    Tesco
    Supermacs .................beside Tesco
    Dunnes Stores.........Waterford Road
    Marks and Spencer.........The Showgrounds Centre
    BB’s...............The Showgrounds Centre
    Used be Eddie Rocketts...........at entrance to Showgrounds Centre
    Blue Moon..............Gortnafleur Business Park
    Subway............Parnell Street
    Esquires.................The Poppyfields
    The Beeches......Garden Centre, Glenconnor
    The Railway Cafe.........this is a voluntary run cafe.........Rail and Bus Station.

I am sure there are some more that I cannot think off or that I don’t have a name for.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Clonmel must have some of the best Coffee Shops and Cafes and maybe the most numerous compared with any similar size town in Ireland.

Some of them are listed below in order to help a young lady is moving to the town and wishes to find work in this line of work.

The list primarily consists of places where people can go for coffee during the day. Major restaurants are not included

Niamhs, Mitchell Street.
    Hewitts, Mitchell Street
    Hickey’s .....Westgate
    Tesco
    The Railway Cafe.........this is a voluntary run cafe.........Rail and Bus Station.

I am sure there are some more that I cannot think off or that I don’t have a name for.

Great list one I visited the other day not on list is cluain coffee shop beside labour exchange. but from your list my favourite are:
    My café
    Butterhouse market
    Quimbys
    Marks and spencer
    Bluemoon
    Esquires
    The last three have free parking which is a big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Great list Xenophile!!

Much appreciated your time in making this list.

Niamhs, Mitchell Street.
    Hewitts, Mitchell Street
    Hickey’s .....Westgate
    Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

James Walsh motor factors in Irishtown Clonmel closed... Anyone have any idea what happened there?

iceage wrote: »
    James Walsh motor factors in Irishtown Clonmel closed... Anne have any idea what happened there?

I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the increased competition in town. You now have Sean O Donoghues, Top Part and now PR Riellys all on the bypass and all easy to get to and plenty if free parking outside too. Personally I used to avoid going there because of the hassle of getting parking nearby.

I know walshes were supposed to be moving a few years back, whether they have now I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

James Walsh motor factors in Irishtown Clonmel closed... Anyone have any idea what happened there?

Sorry to hear that, always found him to be a decent fella.

Unfortunately his location put him at a disadvantage. They had another branch in Kilkenny even before they came to Clonmel, not sure if that's still the case.

Best of luck to him.

dieselbug wrote: »

Unfortunately his location put him at a disadvantage. They had another branch in Kilkenny even before they came to Clonmel, not sure if that's still the case.

Best of luck to him.
    closed for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

closed for good?

I'v no idea, but hopefully not.

He's been struggling for a while I would think. If he could relocate to somewhere away from the town centre I think he would survive ok, been in Clonmel a few years now.

It can be a lot of hassle, firstly getting up there and then trying to park.
    SOD and Top Part are just so much easier and quicker to get to.

I'v no idea, but hopefully not.

He's been struggling for a while I would think. If he could relocate to somewhere away from the town centre I think he would survive ok, been in Clonmel a few years now.

It can be a lot of hassle, firstly getting up there and then trying to park.
    SOD and Top Part are just so much easier and quicker to get to.
    +1 good guys there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Shocked to hear that news about James Walsh's,I thought Top Part was gone with a while also,obviously not.

tippspur wrote: »
    Shocked to hear that news about James Walsh's,I thought Top Part was gone with a while also,obviously not.

Top part still going strong, they moved into a bigger premises a while back.Howeverwith team PR reilly gone in next door they too may suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Best of luck to him.

he has units in gurtnaflure bought them on the strength that the building in irishtown was sold this in the height of the boom but the sale fell through so i was told anyway, used to deal with them most days be a loss shame to see another place closed

DaveJac wrote: »
    he has units in gurtnaflure bought them on the strength that the building in irishtown was sold this in the height of the boom but the sale fell through so i was told anyway, used to deal with them most days be a loss shame to see another place closed

I always went there for what I wanted,never had a problem..the lads in there were spot on.I remember reading a while ago that they were moving...Sad if they are gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Shame to see Walshes closed, kilkenny shop is gone too, he has liquidated the whole lot, units and all. Its a pity for the staff too, nice lads to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 hurling1884

Can anyone tell me if there is a VdeP warehouse in Clonmel that sells books?
    And if so how often, thanks :)

Advertisement