Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Royco wrote: »
    I see Devanes and prego are closing down xmas eve, and any parties that were been booked for after xmas have been cancelled, has to be the end of this pub.

The prego pizza's are fantastic I recommend people try before closedown. A shame that pub has so much going for it however it never got proper management the last few years plus parking for any lunchtime trade is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deminiman

The prego pizza's are fantastic I recommend people try before closedown. A shame that pub has so much going for it however it never got proper management the last few years plus parking for any lunchtime trade is not good.

Prego pizza is not closing, just the pub:)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

I agree with your statement on pizza's good to hear prego not closing but disagree with pub had poor management over last few years as an Irishtown drinker myself it was never going to be like Allens (Bolands) after they sold it but feel Devanes ruined the pub trying to change it to a youth place, feel the guys who ran the Pheonix and Gavins did a very good job with what they had but a lot of people wont support this pub while devanes own it and this is not just rumour its fact speaking to people in Irishtown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Deminiman wrote: »
    Prego pizza is not closing, just the pub:)

That's very good to hear that Prego will still be in business, they do an excellent pizza, no bull**** approach doing a very good piazza with the minimum amount of fuss and bother. A taxi collected one for me there quite recently and I later called in person to order one myself, met a local, very local Clonmel guy there who produced a wonderful pizza while I waited , I think for pizza the secret is to ask for it very very well done so that the base is well toasted, well that does it for me, just like toast it, it must be well toasted. Hope they continue as they produce an excellent pizza.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

I see Fethard has been hit really hard, with the closing of Dawn Foods, Walshes concrete on the Moyglass road and now Hayes betting shop. It's like a ghost town now.

Any idea why these businesses are closing, maybe Walsh Sand and Gravel also trading as Premier Concrete are closing as a direct result of the downturn in the building industry, having said that they held out a long time since the housing collapse. Maybe they could not hold out any longer?

As regards Hayes, all I can say is maybe too many locals had insider knowledge from the local equine business as everybody knows is very strong in the Fethard area, but I must confess that this is pure speculation on my part.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Royco wrote: »
    I agree with your statement on pizza's good to hear prego not closing but disagree with pub had poor management over last few years as an Irishtown drinker myself it was never going to be like Allens (Bolands) after they sold it but feel Devanes ruined the pub trying to change it to a youth place, feel the guys who ran the Pheonix and Gavins did a very good job with what they had but a lot of people wont support this pub while devanes own it and this is not just rumour its fact speaking to people in Irishtown

I reckon Mick Devane regrets closing the original Devanes on Gladstone st. In its day it was one of the best pubs in the town.

Sad to see Allen's close again. It really is a nice pub with a great beer garden but unfortunately the majority of the weekend crowds stay down the other end of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I reckon Mick Devane regrets closing the original Devanes on Gladstone st. In its day it was one of the best pubs in the town.

Sad to see Allen's close again. It really is a nice pub with a great beer garden but unfortunately the majority of the weekend crowds stay down the other end of the town.

Agreed that the crowds tend to stay away from the pub in the last 5 or 6 years.
    I think a lot of it stems from the time that Mr Devane decided that there would be no darts ( a small thing you would think but that was the only reason why many of the Irishtown people went there).A lot of the regulars never went back.
    It is a bit far up the town but that doesn't affect Careys or Gleesons and I would think that with its size it could attract similar crowds as either of those pubs if the right person got their hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Could anyone tell me the best place in around clonmel that sells coal, briquettes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Star fuels on the inner relief road just at Powerstown Park are good for fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

For fuel out of hours go to the Texaco on the Waterford Road. Star fuels closes at 6pm I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Any one see folks with placards having a little demonstration at the end of one of the roads in Ard na Greine last two mornings? I drove past them, don't know what they protesting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

00833827 wrote: »
    Any one see folks with placards having a little demonstration at the end of one of the roads in Ard na Greine last two mornings? I drove past them, don't know what they protesting about.

I think it is a builder looking to be paid for an extension to a house. House owner not coughing up the readies for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KITTIPP

Is there anywhere to park for free near or around Clonmel hospital . will be doing some agency nursing there - does anyone know do give agency staff free parking..I know kilkenny hospital do but Waterford dont !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

KITTIPP wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to park for free near or around Clonmel hospital . will be doing some agency nursing there - does anyone know do give agency staff free parking..I know kilkenny hospital do but Waterford dont !

Free places in front of Aldi, only a short walk from the hospital, once you dont mind walking up the hill to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

Easons have taken over the book shop in the Showgrounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I think Easons always owned it,just left the old name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

tippspur wrote: »
    i don't think so not what i was told..that it was 'taken over may have ben told wrong tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

tippspur wrote: »

I think you could be right. Bought some refill pads in there a few months back and they were all easons own brand. Thought it was a bit odd at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

It's quite interesting to see how the Showgrounds have taken off in recent months. Really since TK-Maxx went in there that seems to have been the tipping point. It always seems to be packed and units that had closed seem to be occupied again. Easons may have held off on the branding because they didn't want one of their stores in an empty white elephant. But business levels may have convinced them to put up their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

touts wrote: »
    It's quite interesting to see how the Showgrounds have taken off in recent months. Really since TK-Maxx went in there that seems to have been the tipping point. It always seems to be packed and units that had closed seem to be occupied again. Easons may have held off on the branding because they didn't want one of their stores in an empty white elephant. But business levels may have convinced them to put up their name.

They're still closing the rooftop car park after 6 at this time of year. I drove in after work and drove around for a space, couldn't get one so drove straight back out. The cars were lined up down the Waterford Rd and O'Rahilly ave trying to get in and park. Seems strange to me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Big Tanya

Beef wrote: »
    They're still closing the rooftop car park after 6 at this time of year. :confused:
    I thought the very same thing. Its really silly to have the car park closed at 6pm.
    I went in to the showgrounds last week, and sure enough no car park upstairs. I went to see the new TK Maxx which was very nice, clean and not as "grubby" as the TK Maxx in limerick or kilkenny.
    The showgrounds was busy, lots of great atmosphere.
    Carol power and TippFM were broadcasting live at the time which was an added bonus, as I like carol power and her great shows. She is so brill.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Hey lads and lassies. Is there an e-cigarette shop in The Mel somewhere?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,349 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can anyone tell me who is the best broadband provider in Clonmel?

ie the fastest etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭pooch90

I was in the Showgrounds yesterday and the sign said the upper car park closed at 9, we were there til after 7 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Beef wrote: »
    The cars were lined up down the Waterford Rd and O'Rahilly ave trying to get in and park.

caution parking here, its a "residents only" stretch for parking now

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chubbycheeks

Any feedback yet from anyone who has been to the two new restaurants in town? Coopers and the Bistro beside Emerald Gardens?

We did a songwriting workshop with IMRO. We were helped by producer Gavin Ralston and singer Luan Parle. As part of TY we were asked by our co-ordinator Mr. Noel Buckley, to come up with a theme for a year. We chose heroes. Ms.Strain being our biggest hero. Although she didn’t teach everyone in the class she left a big impact on everyone with her generosity, gracefulness and everyone knew how much work she put into helping her students reach their full potential. When we were writing the lyrics to our song ’Hero’ we focused entirely on her. ‘She was an angel in disguise’ This is a line from our song and it describes her so perfectly.

We wrote the song for RTE Big Music Week. There is a train going around Ireland with many different artists performing on it. This train stopped in Clonmel yesterday. We performed the song in front of Ms.Strains family. Her two sisters Vera and Mary attended along with her fiancée Pat Crowley. They were so touched by our song and we were so happy that they came along.Kathryn Thomas and Ryan O’Shaughnessy were also there and we were delighted to meet Ryan! We are so touched over the publicity our song has received and so grateful to RTE for giving us this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to write about our feelings for a very special person in our lives in such a special and memorable way.

Composed by the students for their late teacher Alice Strain. One Euro from each i tunes download goes to The Saint Vincent de Paul Society. Well done to everbody involved they are all our heros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭MagicFairyDust

Thanks!

I think Applegreen have ecigs and the Crescent have them as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭MagicFairyDust

Headshot wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who is the best broadband provider in Clonmel?

ie the fastest etc

UPC if you live in a cabled area yp to 200Mb

If you can't get UPC efibre is available now as well up to 70Mb but very much depends on your location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

Thanks!

Most filling stations sell then. Dont thing there is such a thing as a dedicated shop anywhere let alone Clonmel.

By the way is "The Mel" now the text short name for Clonmel? If it is I can see a problem with that.....

Advertisement