Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I think Applegreen have ecigs and the Crescent have them as well

Thanks MFD.

Also found them in Fuzzed Up in the Marystone Centre.

touts wrote: »
    Most filling stations sell then. Dont thing there is such a thing as a dedicated shop anywhere let alone Clonmel.

By the way is "The Mel" now the text short name for Clonmel? If it is I can see a problem with that.....

Thanks touts.

I am not a Clonmel native but when I moved here the lads told me it was called "The Mel". So I got it from the horse's mouth, didn't make it up - don't have enough imagination :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

Most filling stations sell then. Dont thing there is such a thing as a dedicated shop anywhere let alone Clonmel.

By the way is "The Mel" now the text short name for Clonmel? If it is I can see a problem with that.....
    I am curious what problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Thanks touts.

I am not a Clonmel native but when I moved here the lads told me it was called "The Mel". So I got it from the horse's mouth, didn't make it up - don't have enough imagination :D

With all due respects I think you must have got it from the donkeys mouth, imagine if people were to say that they were going to the "Kenny" instead of Kilkenny. If you really want to abbreviate Clonmel go the Irish language as the name in Irish is "Cluain Meala" and say we are going to the "Cluain" or the "Meala"..............so to translate you are going to the 'Meadow" or the "Honey".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Da Mel Boi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Spiritiser wrote: »
    I am curious what problem?

Including the shift/cap it takes 8 keystrokes to type Clonmel. It takes 9 keystrokes for the shorter text speak "The Mel"

Including the shift/cap it takes 8 keystrokes to type Clonmel. It takes 9 keystrokes for the shorter text speak "The Mel"
    shorter not shorter

ciano1 wrote: »
    Da Mel Boi!
    up ya boi!!

Xenophile wrote: »
    We did a songwriting workshop with IMRO. We were helped by producer Gavin Ralston and singer Luan Parle. As part of TY we were asked by our co-ordinator Mr. Noel Buckley, to come up with a theme for a year. We chose heroes. Ms.Strain being our biggest hero. Although she didn’t teach everyone in the class she left a big impact on everyone with her generosity, gracefulness and everyone knew how much work she put into helping her students reach their full potential. When we were writing the lyrics to our song ’Hero’ we focused entirely on her. ‘She was an angel in disguise’ This is a line from our song and it describes her so perfectly.

We wrote the song for RTE Big Music Week. There is a train going around Ireland with many different artists performing on it. This train stopped in Clonmel yesterday. We performed the song in front of Ms.Strains family. Her two sisters Vera and Mary attended along with her fiancée Pat Crowley. They were so touched by our song and we were so happy that they came along.Kathryn Thomas and Ryan O’Shaughnessy were also there and we were delighted to meet Ryan! We are so touched over the publicity our song has received and so grateful to RTE for giving us this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to write about our feelings for a very special person in our lives in such a special and memorable way.

Composed by the students for their late teacher Alice Strain. One Euro from each i tunes download goes to The Saint Vincent de Paul Society. Well done to everbody involved they are all our heros.

As the opening poster here I feel entitled to ask this question;

In Clonmel we have four excellent second level colleges, two great girls schools and one great boys school, these three would be the high achievers and one great co-ed Vocational college, I wonder, just wonder if all students of the second level colleges would benefit more if they were all co-ed?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Saw this on facebook and thought it was worth posting.

Lightning striking St Mary's church during the storm on Saturday morning last

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

great images - it was pretty violent - haven't met a person locally who wasn't woken by it

Xenophile wrote: »
    With all due respects I think you must have got it from the donkeys mouth, imagine if people were to say that they were going to the "Kenny" instead of Kilkenny. If you really want to abbreviate Clonmel go the Irish language as the name in Irish is "Cluain Meala" and say we are going to the "Cluain" or the "Meala"..............so to translate you are going to the 'Meadow" or the "Honey".

All due respect taken, thanks. Yes, I heard it from more than one Clonmel native, and I am surprised, to be honest, by the reaction to this. I was asking a general question, with a little humour using a colloquialism that was provided to me by locals, and didn't expect to cause any offence whatsoever.

Tis the season and all that, Happy Christmas all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

All due respect taken, thanks. Yes, I heard it from more than one Clonmel native, and I am surprised, to be honest, by the reaction to this. I was asking a general question, with a little humour using a colloquialism that was provided to me by locals, and didn't expect to cause any offence whatsoever.

Tis the season and all that, Happy Christmas all!

Thought the reaction to it was a bit OTT myself. I'm from Clonmel and I've heard it being called that several times.

Put the pitchforks down lads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Think Clonmel is more mentioned as the Mel from those living away from as opposed to those living in the town. I have heard it used on occasions but certainly not often. Much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I heard last night Tommy Doolan from Loughtally passed away. Most Clonmelians would have known Tommy as a musician and at one time a scrap dealer.

May he rest in peace.

Beef wrote: »
    Thought the reaction to it was a bit OTT myself. I'm from Clonmel and I've heard it being called that several times.

Put the pitchforks down lads. :)
    me too, silly over reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

00833827 wrote: »
    great images - it was pretty violent - haven't met a person locally who wasn't woken by it
    I didn't hear a thing,slept through all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I heard last night Tommy Doolan from Loughtally passed away. Most Clonmelians would have known Tommy as a musician and at one time a scrap dealer.

May he rest in peace.

Did'nt know him personally, but remember him around with that yellow magnetic beacon on the roof of his car. He was indeed well known.

Am I correct in thinking he once worked in Barlow rads?

RIP

Tommy Doolan was one of natures gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

RIP Tommy.

• Advertisement

Well boys i'd say twillb busy in the mel today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Can anyone give me mass times for this evening - I know there isn't midnight mass anymore but I'm trying to get a mass as late as possible. thx

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

AK333 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me mass times for this evening - I know there isn't midnight mass anymore but I'm trying to get a mass as late as possible. thx

This is for st. Marys anyway:

http://clonmelonline.com/2011/12/christmas-mass-times-in-clonmel/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chubbycheeks

And Peter and Paul's what time is Mass this evening? Nothing on their website. Thanks:)

Got a call from a friend in the mel very busy today but eason in showgrounds closed at 4 he said. Did a lot of shops close at 4 in the mel?

Spiritiser wrote: »
    Got a call from a friend in the mel very busy today but eason in showgrounds closed at 4 he said. Did a lot of shops close at 4 in the mel?

Ding don dell Pussy in the well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chubbycheeks

Happy Christmas everyone....

• Registered Users Posts: 54,180 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there electricity in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I have electricity north of the bypass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

I have electricity north of the bypass

Advertisement