Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I am born and bred in Clonmel ad have never heard it referred to 'The Mel' by anyone in my age group. Sounds crap to my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I am born and bred in Clonmel ad have never heard it referred to 'The Mel' by anyone in my age group. Sounds crap to my ear.
    I have heard it referred to as the mel for about the last 3/4 years by a lot of people in the 30s age group so it is quite common in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

solerina wrote: »
    I have heard it referred to as the mel for about the last 3/4 years by a lot of people in the 30s age group so it is quite common in my opinion

Ding dong dell well Mel, pussy in the Mel well.......... Please keep it to yourselves!

This sounds like a campaign, text speak, natives would prefer if you would revert to the Gaelic name..........beautiful sounding Cluain Meala, "Meadow of Honey".

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Ding dong dell well Mel, pussy in the Mel well.......... Please keep it to yourselves!

This sounds like a campaign, text speak, natives would prefer if you would revert to the Gaelic name..........beautiful sounding Cluain Meala, "Meadow of Honey".

What is all this "Ding dong dell,pussy in the well" sh**e ?, it has nothing to do with Clonmel or the "Mel" or anything else related to Tipperary .
    Why should she "keep it to herself".
    I must admit that you tend to come across as completely obtuse in many of your posts in this and other threads that you have "contributed to".

Would you not be better starting your campaign to get people to revert to "Meadow of Honey"

Vizzy wrote: »

Would you not be better starting your campaign to get people to revert to "Meadow of Honey"

Ok, I will start the campaign now for "Cluain Meala"

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

Vizzy wrote: »
    What is all this "Ding dong dell,pussy in the well" sh**e ?, it has nothing to do with Clonmel or the "Mel" or anything else related to Tipperary .
    Why should she "keep it to herself".
    I must admit that you tend to come across as completely obtuse in many of your posts in this and other threads that you have "contributed to".

i agree why can she not call it what she likes
    Would you not be better starting your campaign to get people to revert to "Meadow of Honey
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

"Vale of Honey" is what I learned a great many years ago.
    And I am lothe to disagree with the Christian Brothers.

Focloir Scoile
    However gives the meadow as cluain so I have learnt something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

anyone know of any part time jobs going for say students in/around clonmel area? :)

"Vale of Honey" is what I learned

Focloir Scoile However gives the meadow as cluain so I have learnt something new.

Must agree that I have often heard it referred to as "Vale of Honey"

Clontarf (Irish: Cluain Tarbh, meaning "meadow of the bull")

No doubt somebody here will be tempted to tell me that I am talking a load of "Bull"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Hector122 wrote: »
    anyone know of any part time jobs going for say students in/around clonmel area? :)

I was getting runners in lifestyle today and I think they had a sign up looking for staff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Long may you continue your sideways look at life, Xenophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

would that be for students only around the weekends though? ah sher worth a shot i suppose :P

Xenophile wrote: »
    Must agree that I have often heard it referred to as "Vale of Honey"

Clontarf (Irish: Cluain Tarbh, meaning "meadow of the bull")

No doubt somebody here will be tempted to tell me that I am talking a load of "Bull"!
    You can call it what you wish but so can others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Spiritiser wrote: »
    You can call it what you wish but so can others.

I'm calling it Paris then. See if the architecture changes.

I'm calling it Paris then. See if the architecture changes.
    be my guest i do not care what you call it. i do not think i am some sort of authority on what expressions people are allowed to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Anyone know if Lyons is open today?

yes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ha. Just seeing this post has given me an absolute craving for Lyons now.

Good work Lyons ;) Subtle advertising 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks lads/lassies.

Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Just saw on independent.ie that there is lots of flooding around the country and it mentioned Clonmel. Did the flood defence system do any good or what is the actual story?

• Advertisement

There is an array of sensors upstream and on some of the tributaries of the Suir.
    Usually they have barriers in place beforehand if they reckon they will need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Just saw on independent.ie that there is lots of flooding around the country and it mentioned Clonmel. Did the flood defence system do any good or what is the actual story?

Based on the forecast it seems we will probably find out if the flood defences work and more interestingly where the water will go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

River Suir broke its banks down at St Thomas' Bridge, footpath is flooded both sides of the bridge. Fields around the bridge / car yard flooded but lower road is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

it'd be great if the town flooded again..50million quid to protect some shi**y worthless houses in Old Bridge,
    at the expense of the towns oldest amenity, it may aswell not have a river now for all you can see of it. Any other town would protect something like that, not block it from sight with concrete:rolleyes:

it'd be great if the town flooded again..50million quid to protect some shi**y worthless houses in Old Bridge,

My aunt has lived there for over fifty years.

Flooding of oldbridge affecting her is only a more recent development.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

My aunt has lived there for over fifty years.

Flooding of oldbridge affecting her is only a more recent development.

considering the money that was spent, what has been gained? they protect what is now a worthless area of town anyway, which was never particularly significant historically or arctecturaly, and they have built a massive concrete wall on both sides of the river blocking it from view, to increase the pressure, not relieve it.
    They could have said to the most at risk residents of old bridge, ok folks, we'll buy your worthless houses and re-home you, were going to us this area as a flood plain, . 50m would buy a lot of houses in old bridge... and we might still have nice river views in the town.
    its a simplistic view I know, but what they have done is outrageous

we'll buy your worthless houses and re-home you, were going to us this area as a flood plain, . 50m would buy a lot of houses in old bridge

Would have been kindest and smartest thing that anyone did.

Initially the flooding was viewed by the local authorities and their political masters as a minor aberration and would never happen again.

When it did the flood relief works started.

Small at first but once they started inertia is almost impossible to overcome.

Also gives great press to politicos to be able to trumpet that they are doing something even if the end result is of dubious worth in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

AK333 wrote: »
    River Suir broke its banks down at St Thomas' Bridge, footpath is flooded both sides of the bridge. Fields around the bridge / car yard flooded but lower road is fine.

Thanks, that was the detail I wanted.

AK333 wrote: »

Where is St Thomas' Bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Where is St Thomas' Bridge?

The hump back bridge beside Ferryhouse

Advertisement