Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

AK333 wrote: »
    The hump back bridge beside Ferryhouse

Thanks, AK. It seems the floods were just pushed further downstream. Hopefully no serious damage done. I love the riverside walk down there, but didn't know the name of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Thanks, AK. It seems the floods were just pushed further downstream. Hopefully no serious damage done. I love the riverside walk down there, but didn't know the name of it.

In fairness, its preferable to flood a field as opposed to some OAP, but then I'm not one of the farmers :) This section of the river always flooded, even before the recent flood alleviation scheme. I used to walk my dog down that way (before I actually moved into the area) but unfortunately the area has declined - the footpath/river bank is not maintained and its wild and overgrown - and there are still groups drinking down there. Having said that, I've never heard of anyone being attacked or accosted by any of the more colourful locals.

(we are flitting between this and the liveline thread - its a real laugh some days)

AK333 wrote: »
    In fairness, its preferable to flood a field as opposed to some OAP, but then I'm not one of the farmers :) This section of the river always flooded, even before the recent flood alleviation scheme. I used to walk my dog down that way (before I actually moved into the area) but unfortunately the area has declined - the footpath/river bank is not maintained and its wild and overgrown - and there are still groups drinking down there. Having said that, I've never heard of anyone being attacked or accosted by any of the more colourful locals.

(we are flitting between this and the liveline thread - its a real laugh some days)

Ah, shur, tis too cold for walking, so radio and laptop it is! Happy New Year to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

It's not St thomas bridge it's Sir Thomas's bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

snipey wrote: »

Well that's me told :D

• Advertisement

Who was it named after?

After Sir Thomas Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

After Sir Thomas Moore
    Not Sir Thomas Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

You got there before me snipey:cool:

After Sir Thomas Moore
    Didn't he get hung drawn and quartered by Henry viii or something like that.

• Advertisement

they hanged him from the bridge and hence the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

THOMAS MORE Hung drawn and quartered.

Sit Thomas as in bridge I remember hearing about "him" been hanged from it but i don't think its the guy that fell out with Henry VIII.

Anyone have any details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Looks like a fire at the back of Fr Croke Place a little while ago. Hope no one is hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Dr Croke Place I'd say you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I do indeed! My phone autocorrected it!

It would be known locally as the Narrow bridge,or the Narra bridge,depending on who you were talking to:)..I remember many years ago after the water had gone down in the fields,it would freeze,and we played ice hockey with hurleys.I t wasn't deep at that stage,only above the knees if we broke throught it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Was that after they filled in the swimming pool?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Was that after they filled in the swimming pool?

No Vizzy,not that field..It would have been on the back road to clonmel..it would have been one of Ronans fields..a little up form the car breakers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Oh I know the one you mean, it was just down from where Bonds lived on the Coleville road. Just up the road from the guy used to have the helicopter(the big white house on the left)

It would be known locally as the Narrow bridge,or the Narra bridge,depending on who you were talking to:)..I remember many years ago after the water had gone down in the fields,it would freeze,and we played ice hockey with hurleys.I t wasn't deep at that stage,only above the knees if we broke throught it:)
    I think most locals refer to it as 'two mile bridge'
    never really heard anyone refer to it as the narrow bridge

• Advertisement

Is the bridge down further not the two mile bridge as in the one over the Anner

I would have been local for many years,so it would be well known as that:)

I always understood that too. It's supposed to be 2 miles from the Gashouse Bridge. Can't find any reference to a Sir or Saint Thomas More or Moore in association with Clonmel.

My understanding is that the official name for the bridge is Sir Thomas Bridge and is known locally as two mile bridge. Have lived in clonmel all my life and would be fairly certain of that information.

Lads,I went over the bridge twice a day for 13 years going to school.It was known as two mile/sir thomas' bridge..but the real locals would call it the narrow bridge.like the narrow street in clonmel is known by that, as much as its real name..I have heard people call the bridge below bulmers as the two mile bridge,but I would have always known that as turnpike house,and before the roundabout after ferryhouse was there,it was called green lane.

Sir Thomas's Bridge is called after Sir Thomas Osborne 5th Baronet of Tickenor,High Sheriff of co. Waterford in 1672

Sir Thomas's Bridge is called after Sir Thomas Osborne 5th Baronet of Tickenor,High Sheriff of co. Waterford in 1672

Thanks, Snipey.

Someone's been researching.:)

ya got a quite moment in work today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

I see abrakebabra in O'Connell st is closed down again with a for sale sign up, what this needs is a decent Irish chipper with homemade chips cos its in a great location

Advertisement