Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

dave.. wrote: »
    The O'Connell Mall, Birthdays and The River Island building among others are owned by the same people. Then also bought up property in other towns when the Celtic Tiger was roaring and the banks were handing out money for fun. There is 2 or 3 involved, one is from Clonmel and has a Opticians that often have 2 for 1 offers.

Like it was already mentioned Holland & Barrett are going into Birthdays and a large English discount store is going into the O'Connell Mall (99p Store).

Someone mentioned another discount store Dealz. I think that is going into the old Tesco centre but as far as I know that is not meant to be open till next March. The owner of that building won't be too impressed if the O'Connell Mall discount store opens first.

Anyway as for the town centre itself its looking more and more like an English High Street every year.

He isnt happy at the moment either. He/the family are sitting on quite a bit of land in the town. How the loans are being maintained is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

tippspur wrote: »
    Yeah,I heard the actual owners are running the place now aswel.
    Yea owners are back in Kate ryans again called in the weekend have to say it's gone down hill alot didn't like the crowd in there didn't feel safe pity as last couple did a great job there sorting out customers won't be back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Anyway as for the town centre itself its looking more and more like an English High Street every year.

When you compare the quality of the English High Streets with large brands stocking a wide range of good produce with the average Irish high street which still contain shops run by the elderly couple Mary & Mick who last updated their signage and in some cases stock for the visit of the bishop in 1967 I say welcome to more English High Street shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I was heading up town on Sunday and saw MacMahon's shoes are moving out of O' Connell street and relocating to Mitchell street.They have been beside the Bookcentre as long as I can remember.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DT100 wrote: »
    I was heading up town on Sunday and saw MacMahon's shoes are moving out of O' Connell street and relocating to Mitchell street.They have been beside the Bookcentre as long as I can remember.

From what I hear the rent in Mitchell street was a fraction of the price of O'Connell Street, although it will be strange no longer seeing the place on O'Connell Street, at least they won't be shutting down completely, and hopefully the relocation will mean they can survive for a long time, cause its good to see local businesses survive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

He isnt happy at the moment either. He/the family are sitting on quite a bit of land in the town. How the loans are being maintained is a mystery.

Delighted for him, A bloody gangster is what he is..He had a good opportunity to make serious money off the land on the Davis Road for a housing development several years ago but he held out as he hoped the prices would rise plus I don't think he wanted the construction noise to bother him.

I know that the shoe shop was part of the plan when construction begins on clonmel arms just wondering is there going to be movement on the hotel now their vacating pity to see the clonmel arms in that state

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

charlemont wrote: »
    Delighted for him, A bloody gangster is what he is..He had a good opportunity to make serious money off the land on the Davis Road for a housing development several years ago but he held out as he hoped the prices would rise plus I don't think he wanted the construction noise to bother him.

What land on the Davis Road is still open for Development? All the sites are built on/being built on/cant be built on, on the river side at least. Not much left on the other side either.

What land on the Davis Road is still open for Development? All the sites are built on/being built on/cant be built on, on the river side at least. Not much left on the other side either.

The site I'm referring to is behind the Shell station, Have a look on OSI Mapviewer and see how big it actually is, I seen the plans myself several years back..

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,621420,623009,7,0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

He seems to have given up on the idea as he bought a house on Powerstown road which would have been ideal for him to get an exit from the site(it is unlikely that he would get permission to come out on to the Waterford road) but he applied for PP last week( to the wrong authority in my opinion) to South Tipp Co Co for planning permission to do a major redevelopment of it.

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    From what I hear the rent in Mitchell street was a fraction of the price of O'Connell Street, although it will be strange no longer seeing the place on O'Connell Street, at least they won't be shutting down completely, and hopefully the relocation will mean they can survive for a long time, cause its good to see local businesses survive.

Delighted to see a business finally telling their existing landlords to go swing and just move their shelves and stock a few hundred meters to a more realistic landlord. Financial "experts" on the radio have talked about it for ages but few businesses actually do it and instead opt to hang on and go bust in the long run. Hopefully this will send a message out that it is possible.

Now Boutique is gone from O' Connell street to Gladstone street.If I am remembering right,they were on Gladstone street at some stage earlier?

Now Boutique is gone from O' Connell street to Gladstone street.If I am remembering right,they were on Gladstone street at some stage earlier?
    Now started in o connell st and moved a number of years ago to Gladstone st where anglims had clothes shop beside sheilas corner where they are still trading there shop in o connell st became nada ( same owners). Maybe your referring to wurlitzler which has closed in o connell st

Royco wrote: »
    Now started in o connell st and moved a number of years ago to Gladstone st where anglims had clothes shop beside sheilas corner where they are still trading there shop in o connell st became nada ( same owners). Maybe your referring to wurlitzler which has closed in o connell st

You are 100% correct Royco...I had a brain wobble typing that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

charlemont wrote: »
    The site I'm referring to is behind the Shell station, Have a look on OSI Mapviewer and see how big it actually is, I seen the plans myself several years back..

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,621420,623009,7,0
    Vizzy wrote: »
    He seems to have given up on the idea as he bought a house on Powerstown road which would have been ideal for him to get an exit from the site(it is unlikely that he would get permission to come out on to the Waterford road) but he applied for PP last week( to the wrong authority in my opinion) to South Tipp Co Co for planning permission to do a major redevelopment of it.

The owners of the site in question, have outline permission to construct 8 serviced sites on part of the site. There are some legal issues which have obstructed the development of the site in the past, hence it wasn't developed within the boom. I know that another developer make a planning application on the site 12-15 years ago and ran into lots of legal and planning problems including several objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any truth behind DID taking over Slatterys aka Vision store........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dave..

I was up in the Poppyfields today and D.I.D. Electrical is gone into Slatterys. It is opening up during the week. I also saw the Ad in the Sunday world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Was there as well today, sad to see anywhere close down. Are Slattery's relocating or just closing?

I was up in the Poppyfields today and D.I.D. Electrical is gone into Slatterys. It is opening up during the week. I also saw the Ad in the Sunday world.

Sad to see an old name from Clonmel's past go down to a major chain but at least the shop is still being kept open as an electronics store and hopefully the staff will be kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

I have been told that is basically Slattery`s trading as D.I.D electrical. Same owner and same staff. It will be good for the complex to have a large brand name tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Clonmel Healthcare aka Stada Ireland is up for sale a good while and by all accounts the site is in bother.
    Next 4/6 months will be crucial for its survival,current owners want out and have started product transfer to Serbia

I passed down O' Connell street today and noticed the Fuji photo shop beside the Bookcentre is closed.How long is that gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

18 months,maybe a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I passed down O' Connell street today and noticed the Fuji photo shop beside the Bookcentre is closed.How long is that gone?

You been livin' under a rock DT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

142 jobs gone with the announcement by the electrical group JRE Group that it is to cease trading. Big blow to the economy of the town.

and

we have the threat of Kickham Barracks closing as well - not good :(

heres a pic of the committee and some of the attendance at the public meeting to prevent the closure of the barracks;

campaign1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Tipperary South - a consitituency with 2 independent TDs and a 1 government backbencher. Not much clout there alas.
    Defense minister Alan Shatter won't have to knock on doors in Clonmel or Carrick next time out.

Doesn't look good for keeping that Barracks open as a result, unless it has some strategic importance.

Yes, The barracks wont be saved, Not exactly like Clonmel is going to be attacked anytime soon, The St Michaels closure should be a bigger issue as it will affect the town in a greater way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Looking at the corner of o connell St and Gladstone St it's starting to look pretty grim, on o connell St the photo shop, mc Mahon shoes, wulizter, national Irish bank, birthdays, o connell mall all vacant then on Gladstone St there's Miriam halleys, options, a shop beside premier meats all closed dwn and not forgetting the Clonmel arms hotel. Glamerous fashion shop beside knick knack shop closing as well, Worse this town is getting without sign of recovery as one shop opens two close down, that area of town has the largest footfall yet there's something seriously wrong there any ideas ?? Is it rents or rates that's causing problems ?? Personally I think it's borough council rates,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Rates is a big issue for businesses in town at the min added to that are water rates as well.

So glad that our councilors are still being paid stupid money plus their expenses they are really earning it :(. Time our councillors stop being paid, and the money they are being paid should be paid into the council in an effort to reduce rate on struggling businesses.

Present Time closing should have been the sign they needed to sort out the mess that is rates

Advertisement