Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭BloodThirsty

Xenophile wrote: »
    Willie Boland, Market Street. He has still has lots of family in town.
    would that be near where the old nationalist office was? I think there is an shop selling office type equipment now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

would that be near where the old nationalist office was? I think there is an shop selling office type equipment now

Yes that's it

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

dieselbug wrote: »
    My father was into photography back in the sixties and he was friendly with a pro in Clonmel at the time. I believe the name was Keating. hth

Michael Keating's shop was in Nelson Street he was unmarried and as far as I know he had no children.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Be careful on the roads today people. Stonethrowers Rally is on so every lunatic boyracer in the country is tearing around the country back roads leading to the town while every guard that can carry a speed gun will be on the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

touts wrote: »
    Be careful on the roads today people. Stonethrowers Rally is on so every lunatic boyracer in the country is tearing around the country back roads leading to the town while every guard that can carry a speed gun will be on the main roads.

Also the Faugheen 50 yesterday and today,so lots of bikes around.

Good to see it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

:rolleyes:

Such a misleading, misinformed post!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

:rolleyes:

Such a misleading, misinformed post!

How so. There were lots of yahoos tearing around over the weekend with their souped up exhausts!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How so. There were lots of yahoos tearing around over the weekend with their souped up exhausts!

Same as any weekend if you ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Loughc wrote: »
    Disagree about mulcahys no atmosphere or banter. Gleesons is the best place for a match. 2 projector screens, small pub so good banter and atmosphere.

Sorry for replying at a random time but I'd agree with that, whenever I go to Gleeson's they have it perfectly mastered. They have one match on one screen and another match on another screen while at Mulcahy's they have a large room with one large projector where they show the main games, not really comfortable whenever there's a big match on in there. It's impossible to find a way out once the game is over, particularly when it's in the winter while in the outside bar there's only two small tv's from which you could barely see the action and is usually packed.

Your post implied that those that follow rallying are boy racers and that the roads were extra dangerous because of it. The vast vast majority of people who follow rallying are not boy racers and bring much needed business into the local area. Great event and long may it last.

• Advertisement

Your post implied that those that follow rallying are boy racers and that the roads were extra dangerous because of it. The vast vast majority of people who follow rallying are not boy racers and bring much needed business into the local area. Great event and long may it last.

The people who follow rally should not be allowed to close the roads and cause noise pollution. If they want to race they should go to a race track . And they do attract clowns who are a danger.

If tyravellers blocked the roads everyone would be up in arms. and much needed business only helps the people in business

The people who follow rally should not be allowed to close the roads and cause noise pollution. If they want to race they should go to a race track . And they do attract clowns who are a danger.

If tyravellers blocked the roads everyone would be up in arms. and much needed business only helps the people in business

You don't have to wait for a rally weekend to see dangerous driving around Clonmel..I saw a van driver yesterday reading texts as he drove.The twits that annoy me most are the stupid people that don't seem to know what stopping distance is needed...I often hear about cyclists moaning about car drivers..but they would want to play by the rules too....I nearly hit two the other day that came from side streets at speed not even looking:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Watch out this weekend...a load of yahoo's will be in clonmel for the annual charity drive collecting money for the children's hospital and other charities at the show grounds..dig deep!! And please dont tar use all because of a few eejits.

http://www.drive4charity.com/news-2/

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    Watch out this weekend...a load of yahoo's will be in clonmel for the annual charity drive collecting money for the children's hospital and other charities at the show grounds..dig deep!! And please dont tar use all because of a few eejits.

are they boy racers with their silly loud exhaust saddos?

No one is "blocking" the road. The organisers seek permission and give out contact details in case of emergency. They close and tape all gates, whether they are used or not and remove same after stage is finished. They clear the road before each stage starts. There is nothing wrong in having a bit of honest fun. It brings a bit of athmospere and money to the area.

Travellers do NONE of the above!

No one is "blocking" the road. The organisers seek permission and give out contact details in case of emergency. They close and tape all gates, whether they are used or not and remove same after stage is finished. They clear the road before each stage starts. There is nothing wrong in having a bit of honest fun. It brings a bit of athmospere and money to the area.

Travellers do NONE of the above!
    they do close the road and people are prisoners in their homes. its ok to block the road as long as they get permission and if travellers asked would they be allowed

they do close the road and people are prisoners in their homes. its ok to block the road as long as they get permission and if travellers asked would they be allowed

I'm sure if the travellers did the same, applied for permission, stewarded the route, approached all residents with details and insurances, they'd be accomodated too.
    As for people being prisoners in their own homes, for the few hours while a stage is run off, it's no great problem. I speak as one who has had first hand experience 3 times over the past 20 years.

I'm sure if the travellers did the same, applied for permission, stewarded the route, approached all residents with details and insurances, they'd be accomodated too.
    As for people being prisoners in their own homes, for the few hours while a stage is run off, it's no great problem. I speak as one who has had first hand experience 3 times over the past 20 years.
    other people are allowed have opinions contrary to yours.my opinion is they should go to a race track

other people are allowed have opinions contrary to yours.my opinion is they should go to a race track

Then it wouldn't be Rallying!

Then it wouldn't be Rallying!
    other people are allowed have opinions contrary to yours

• Advertisement

other people are allowed have opinions contrary to yours

True. However, Rallying takes place on public roads. Anything else is not Rallying. That is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Wow!

Much needed business only helps people in business? Those businesses need to stay open to provide both services and jobs to the local community which in turn creates more jobs, money etc...

A rally cant take place on a race track as its no longer a rally. Its been around since the dawn of the motor car not to mention all the features that have come from rallying that you find in road cars!

Btw if travellers wanted to apply to close a road once a year, pay for the insurance, provide marshalls, pay for doctors, bring revenue into the town, liase with all the relevant authorities etc... then they would be entitled to it too.

I'm sorry but if your going to post about an event that you think is a pain for everyone at least back up what your saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

I have to say I agree with Bloodthirsty. I don't enjoy being stuck in my house all day for someone elses hobby. there is no consultation with the residents either, a case of like it or lump it so to speak!
    You have to keep kids and pets locked up inside for the day too, in case god forbid, one of them should escape onto the road. I have horses that were terrified half to death because of the noise aswell.
    It's half my weekend that's ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

well its like any public event that requires road closures - do you object to the St. Patricks day parade? How about the recent Junction festival, or the bicycle racing that took place at the august bank holiday - I believe all had some degree of road closure - which requires permission - which was granted by the relevant authorities (Local Council, AGS, etc)

Would you prefer we move towards a society that has no community sporting or cultural events?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Would you prefer we move towards a society that has no community sporting or cultural events?
    That's a bit harsh, dont you think ?
    You may not agree with other posters comments, but pushing an agenda such as this is not a great way to promote your cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    I have to say I agree with Bloodthirsty. I don't enjoy being stuck in my house all day for someone elses hobby. there is no consultation with the residents either, a case of like it or lump it so to speak!
    You have to keep kids and pets locked up inside for the day too, in case god forbid, one of them should escape onto the road. I have horses that were terrified half to death because of the noise aswell.
    It's half my weekend that's ruined!

I agree with the road closures, and some cycle races have hampered me, but no greatly. Just wondering could you contact the County Council and ask them to change the route next year. Maybe if they varied the route, and you were stuck in 1 year in 3, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

well its like any public event that requires road closures - do you object to the St. Patricks day parade? How about the recent Junction festival, or the bicycle racing that took place at the august bank holiday - I believe all had some degree of road closure - which requires permission - which was granted by the relevant authorities (Local Council, AGS, etc)

There's a big difference between closing streets in the town, where you may have to leave your car in a car park (but still have access to it),and having your road closed in the country where you're stuck in the house all day unable to leave.
    Are the country roads closed for a long length of time for the rally, or just a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

cml387 wrote: »
    There's a big difference between closing streets in the town, where you may have to leave your car in a car park (but still have access to it),and having your road closed in the country where you're stuck in the house all day unable to leave.
    Are the country roads closed for a long length of time for the rally, or just a few hours?

As someone who has been involved in rallying for a good few years now both as a competitor and also helping out on the organising and also living on a stage. Here are some answers to the questions posed.

Rallying is motorsport that takes part on closed roads, going to a racetrack is Racing, Similar but different.

Stages are picked early in the year and a lot of PR goes into them. When a stage is decided on the following happens:

Permission is sought from the Councils involved.

Residents and land owners are informed of the fact that there is a stage planned for that area.

Residents are given all the details that they could need, times the road will be closed, access for emergencies etc etc etc.

Residents are then asked if they agree to allow the stage to happen. The agreement needs to be unanimous between the people living on the road, or the stage can't go ahead.

While this is going on, a safety plan is formulated detailing every single metre of the road. Routes for emergency services are laid out and points that need to be taped off and supervised are decided upon. This is checked and signed off by Motorsport Ireland.

Coming closer to the event the residents and affected land owners are called to again to make sure that they are happy for the rally to go ahead in their area. They are also given details of what will happen on the day, what to do with animals etc. They're also given numbers to contact should they need to leave their house for whatever reason.

On the day of the event the roads are usually closed at about 8 or 8.30 in the morning and depending on the stage number can be opened as soon as the sweeper cars pass through after the last time that stage will be used. The residents will be given a time that the road will reopen.

For people living on a stage they will also if needs be accommodated to move from their houses between stages. So no people are not trapped in their houses against their will for the day.

As for the amount of boy racers that were around the town this weekend. Yes there was more than usual. This is as a result of a "cruise" that was organised by them for the Sat night. Unfortunately this crowd has a habit of showing up in areas where there are rallies taking place. Most have little interest in seeing the stages and as can be seen in Killarney and a few of the other big rallies they do like to cause a bit of hassle around the place. The motorsport community have no time for these people as the more of them that arrive, the worse it looks for the organisers of the event when all the messing starts.

I live in a country area that has had the rally through. We were notified well in advance and on the morning of the rally, usually before 9am, Rally strewards drive through and close all gates and tie warning tape around them. Tape is tied across open driveways that have no gate. If only one stage is passing through, the safety measures are reversed on completion of that stage, which could be 5 hours from when road is closed to being reopened. It really is no great inconvenience, as we'll be well informed and given emergency contact numbers. The noise can be a bit much, but it's not for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I guess people live in the town centre too and leaving your car away at another location might not be a runner for folks with disabilities, young kids, workers on call etc. I would think a fair situation would be engaging with the event organisers and have them vary the route every few years to take it somewhere else. They need permission to do all this so if you have concerns you can object.
    PacMan wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh, dont you think ?
    You may not agree with other posters comments, but pushing an agenda such as this is not a great way to promote your cause.

Not sure what you mean by harsh - and i don't have a cause - my question is that if you stop sporting and cultural events because they inconvenience you, what impact will that have on our society? Will the same people stopping events today be complaining tomorrow "there is never anything on in this town?"

Advertisement