Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I would think a fair situation would be engaging with the event organisers and have them vary the route every few years to take it somewhere else. They need permission to do all this so if you have concerns you can object.

To be fair rallies are rarely on in the same area year in year out. The most a club would run a stage is for two years and then it would be gone for a few years before making an appearance again.

As for events in town like the cycling etc. Well the whole atmosphere is what brings them through towns, It brings a kind of carnival atmosphere to the area and allows the people to get to see the race in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ccheidi

Can anyone recommend a ladies hairdresser in Clonmel! Looking for some one to do colour and cut every few weeks and prices reasonable! A hairdresser that doesn't seem bored of their job and has ideas would be perfect!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭BloodThirsty

well its like any public event that requires road closures - do you object to the St. Patricks day parade? How about the recent Junction festival, or the bicycle racing that took place at the august bank holiday - I believe all had some degree of road closure - which requires permission - which was granted by the relevant authorities (Local Council, AGS, etc)

Would you prefer we move towards a society that has no community sporting or cultural events?
    i disgaree with any road closure it is a public road, the people like junction could go and do their thing in a field? do you really think an application to close the road for a traveller do would be treated like junction etc.

St patrick day i would not object to and no i am not religious but it is a national thing. junction is someone having a dance in the street. The rally/junction should not be allowed to take over the street/road

just because a rally cannot be on a track does not mean others should be inconvenienced. if they want to rally it is up to them to find somewhere the road is a public road unless you are well in with councils

Would you prefer we move towards a society that has no community sporting or cultural events?
    they do not have to have them on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭BloodThirsty

To be fair rallies are rarely on in the same area year in year out. The most a club would run a stage is for two years and then it would be gone for a few years before making an appearance again.

As for events in town like the cycling etc. Well the whole atmosphere is what brings them through towns, It brings a kind of carnival atmosphere to the area and allows the people to get to see the race in person.
    only applies to people who are interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Ccheidi wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a ladies hairdresser in Clonmel! Looking for some one to do colour and cut every few weeks and prices reasonable! A hairdresser that doesn't seem bored of their job and has ideas would be perfect!
    Thanks!

Annies Hairdressers in Queen Street. Cheap and cheerful, no nonsense just pleasant local people. I'm happy with the service and I have no connection/affiliation with them, just a happy customer. Good luck with your search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Ccheidi wrote: »
    Thanks!

LLoyds is also great

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

i disgaree with any road closure it is a public road, the people like junction could go and do their thing in a field? do you really think an application to close the road for a traveller do would be treated like junction etc.

St patrick day i would not object to and no i am not religious but it is a national thing. junction is someone having a dance in the street. The rally/junction should not be allowed to take over the street/road

just because a rally cannot be on a track does not mean others should be inconvenienced. if they want to rally it is up to them to find somewhere the road is a public road unless you are well in with councils

they do not have to have them on the road

So close it for some events, but not others - how will you decide which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Does anyone know of a cobbler or someone that would put new zips into a pair of boots? The cobbler on Mary street won't do it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a cobbler or someone that would put new zips into a pair of boots? The cobbler on Mary street won't do it. Thanks.

Must say that I have always found that guy dead safe and genuine I go to him all the time as from my experience he is an honest broker.

But if you want to try

http://thezipyard.ie/store-locator/tipperary/clonmel/

Let me know how you get on!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Xenophile wrote: »
    Must say that I have always found that guy dead safe and genuine I go to him all the time as from my experience he is an honest broker.

But if you want to try

http://thezipyard.ie/store-locator/tipperary/clonmel/

Let me know how you get on!

The op said the guy wont do it,so his honesty is not in question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Anybody use a 'dongle' for their internet use? If so which network is the best provider in Clonmel?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

turniphead wrote: »
    Anybody use a 'dongle' for their internet use? If so which network is the best provider in Clonmel?

Thanks
    I have a Vodafone pay as you go one for travel and have used it if my home broadband was down. I found it absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

turniphead wrote: »

Thanks

I've used one from 3, it was completely useless 99% of the time, it rarely had 3G signal.. I picked it because it was the cheapest at the time, but as it happened was no use to me, but was very bad especially during peak times, like using dial up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

cml387 wrote: »
    There's a big difference between closing streets in the town, where you may have to leave your car in a car park (but still have access to it),and having your road closed in the country where you're stuck in the house all day unable to leave.
    Are the country roads closed for a long length of time for the rally, or just a few hours?

My road was closed from 9.00 am or so until 5pm or thereabouts I think. I had a small baby and was heavily pregnant with the second one year and didn't like the idea of being stuck in there with no way out so I was effectively hunted out of my house for the day. I stayed in the previous year, and there were no organisers anywhere near me, I'm on a straight line, and so for the duration of the practice runs and the rally I would have had absolutely no way to contact anyone from the race in case of emergency.
    No one called into us as far as I remember. The first year we got a brief leaflet in the letter box, the second year, i found out from ads on the paper etc... And discovered a laminated leaflet nailed to a tree 1 and a half km from my house stating that the road would be closed the next morning.

That's a very rude way to impose inconvenience on residents for the sake of one's hobby imo, some manners and consideration would go a long way to helping people tolerate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

My road was closed from 9.00 am or so until 5pm or thereabouts I think. I had a small baby and was heavily pregnant with the second one year and didn't like the idea of being stuck in there with no way out so I was effectively hunted out of my house for the day. I stayed in the previous year, and there were no organisers anywhere near me, I'm on a straight line, and so for the duration of the practice runs and the rally I would have had absolutely no way to contact anyone from the race in case of emergency.
    No one called into us as far as I remember. The first year we got a brief leaflet in the letter box, the second year, i found out from ads on the paper etc... And discovered a laminated leaflet nailed to a tree 1 and a half km from my house stating that the road would be closed the next morning.

That's a very rude way to impose inconvenience on residents for the sake of one's hobby imo, some manners and consideration would go a long way to helping people tolerate it..

I cant comment on the warning of the event taken place so I'll take your word on your personal experience but saying there is no one to contact in an emergancy is a bit silly.

Its called 999. If there is an emergancy the rally will be stopped and the emergancy services will be allowed through the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

The sheets shoved in the letterbox for the Stonethrowers this year had two contact numbers on it in case of emergency.

pooch90 wrote: »
    The sheets shoved in the letterbox for the Stonethrowers this year had two contact numbers on it in case of emergency.

They always do. As another poster said, there's always 999

I cant comment on the warning of the event taken place so I'll take your word on your personal experience but saying there is no one to contact in an emergancy is a bit silly.

Its called 999. If there is an emergancy the rally will be stopped and the emergancy services will be allowed through the stage.

No no no, hold on a second there.

The 999 option and then wait for the whole rigmarole to stop and emergency services to get through would take a lot longer than myself being able to hop into the car and drive myself and possibly sick baby to get help, or even just drive down to knock on a neighbour's door.

I am 25 minutes to half an hour from Clonmel and Dungarvan.
    I can assure you that in case of emergency, if anyway able, I am not going to sit at home and wait for 999, and even less wait for 999 to communicate with a rally sherrif or whatever you call them to then communicate with a number of vehicles and staff 3 km up the road.

Saying that 999 is available, in my situation, is taking the proverbial.

edit : an Pooch90, as clearly stated, I got no leaflet in the letterbox the second year, I discovered a laminated A5 notice stapled onto a tree 1.5km from my house on the road. No leaflet, no communication, no number. Good thing I happened on that little notice. I've half a mind to take a pic of the tree and the spot where it was to show you, that was a ridiculous and haphazard way of letting locals know their road was going to be closed, and no excuses.

I think he means that 999 will be able to contact stewards and get assistance to you, not mean you have to wait for ambulance or gardai.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is there any truth to the Rumour the former Posthouse Bar is now going to be a Dentist surgery?

I couldn't think of a more depressing transformation if true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Loughc wrote: »
    Is there any truth to the Rumour the former Posthouse Bar is now going to be a Dentist surgery? I couldn't think of a more depressing transformation if true!

Would make a better funeral home as coffins could be wheeled straight over to the Church. :eek:

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Then it could really stand up to it's name of the Ghosthouse! :eek:

I think he means that 999 will be able to contact stewards and get assistance to you, not mean you have to wait for ambulance or gardai.

That's after said steward contacts other stewards who contact others who locate where I am, who then contact others who stop vehicles, and then after some time (when all vehicles have been cleared) show at my doorstep, and are possibly of zero use to me. As I said, there was no one within sight of my house.

You simply cannot argue that whatever chain of communication would have to happen in the event of an emergency would be faster than I simply hopping into the car and heading off, with priceless use of the road.
    As I said, pregnant and with a baby, I simply did not chance the convoluted option proposed by others.

Anyway that's OT at this stage (!) so we'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

That's after said steward contacts other stewards who contact others who locate where I am, who then contact others who stop vehicles, and then after some time (when all vehicles have been cleared) show at my doorstep, and are possibly of zero use to me. As I said, there was no one within sight of my house.

You simply cannot argue that whatever chain of communication would have to happen in the event of an emergency would be faster than I simply hopping into the car and heading off, with priceless use of the road.
    As I said, pregnant and with a baby, I simply did not chance the convoluted option proposed by others.

Anyway that's OT at this stage (!) so we'll leave it there.

Can I ask you this, what would you do if there was a major incident on the road, say a serious car crash or a fire ?

Vizzy, that would be beyond anyone's control, and not people blocking the road for an entire day for their enjoyment, talk about another kettle of fish altogether.

And my road, thankfully, has two directions, like most roads do, so I guess I'd turn around and head the other way ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

No no no, hold on a second there.

The 999 option and then wait for the whole rigmarole to stop and emergency services to get through would take a lot longer than myself being able to hop into the car and drive myself and possibly sick baby to get help, or even just drive down to knock on a neighbour's door.

I am 25 minutes to half an hour from Clonmel and Dungarvan.
    I can assure you that in case of emergency, if anyway able, I am not going to sit at home and wait for 999, and even less wait for 999 to communicate with a rally sherrif or whatever you call them to then communicate with a number of vehicles and staff 3 km up the road.

Saying that 999 is available, in my situation, is taking the proverbial.

edit : an Pooch90, as clearly stated, I got no leaflet in the letterbox the second year, I discovered a laminated A5 notice stapled onto a tree 1.5km from my house on the road. No leaflet, no communication, no number. Good thing I happened on that little notice. I've half a mind to take a pic of the tree and the spot where it was to show you, that was a ridiculous and haphazard way of letting locals know their road was going to be closed, and no excuses.

Bit OT reply dont ya think! Anyway...there is systems in place to stop the rally in next to no time wheter you want to believe it or not.

The fact you didnt receive notice is pretty strange but I'll take your word on it. In fact you should be contacting motorsport ireland about it who sanctioned the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Bit OT reply dont ya think! Anyway...there is systems in place to stop the rally in next to no time wheter you want to believe it or not.

The fact you didnt receive notice is pretty strange but I'll take your word on it. In fact you should be contacting motorsport ireland about it who sanctioned the event.
    i don't think it is oveer the top at all.Bit late to be contacting motorsport when its over. the pro rally people who benefit wnat to makje any objection look foolish.It is a public road and should be open to the public

How is it OT ? I am informing you that my particular location is already not a great spot for receiving emergency help, and so stating my case that a rally taking place, and blocking the road outside my door, is making that situation much worse. To the point that I did not feel comfortable staying at home that day, in case I did need to get out quickly.

Of course in town or closer to town the situation may be different. In my location, the road and free road access is crucial.

As to contacting whoever organized it, first I would need to identify which club it was, and then ring or write someone, which I really couldn't be bothered to do after the event (I know the first year was Carrick on Suir since I got a leaflet that year).
    I shouldn't have to go to that trouble in the first place. The least a leisure motor club could do is inform people properly, without having to be prompted afterwards.

You can make excuses till the cows come home, the bottom line is that if communication is not managed properly in the case of such a major event, it's going to antagonise the locals, and they are perfectly entitled to be annoyed at the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

if there was an emergancy you would be better off with the rally happening full ambulance crew and fire and rescue crew at the start of every stage, i used to be involved in rallying happened on one stage i was on before eldery resisdant needed an ambulance was with them within minutes from the start of the stage. I do agree its very wrong if your not properly informed ect they do have to apply to the council for a road closing act and they has to be published in the papers coming to the event like planning permission giving people a chance to object ect, i have also seen where people have strongly objected and the route had to be changed

• Advertisement

DaveJac wrote: »
    if there was an emergancy you would be better off with the rally happening full ambulance crew and fire and rescue crew at the start of every stage, i used to be involved in rallying happened on one stage i was on before eldery resisdant needed an ambulance was with them within minutes from the start of the stage. I do agree its very wrong if your not properly informed ect they do have to apply to the council for a road closing act and they has to be published in the papers coming to the event like planning permission giving people a chance to object ect, i have also seen where people have strongly objected and the route had to be changed

Like I said DaveJac, had I numbers for organisers, or security guys in sight, I would have felt more comfortable staying in my own home for the day.
    I did the first year, I had my letter, with I think 2 names and numbers, and a guy even called to explain the ribbon on the gate thing.

Advertisement