Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tescos putting dodgy Haagen Dazs on sale

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed this? Tescos putting Haagen Dazs on sale, but the ice cream is a block of solid ice? I've been burned by them twice, but this last time they just took the piss.

When ice cream melts and is re-frozen, it turns into solid ice which is impossible to eat with a spoon. Surely they are not allowed to spoiled products on sale without marking them as such.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

they wont know its spoiled unless someone tells them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Tescos arent the only ones that this happens to , same happened me in dunnes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I find that a lot of icecreams re-freeze quite solidly after you open them for the first time. Is this what you are referring to, or is it something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's the nature of Ice-cream to turn to large Ice crystals if re-frozen. If it happened in the store then you may have a case for a refund but not otherwise. It's what melted Ice-cream does. Hardly unique to Tesco or Haagen Daz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

When ice cream melts and is re-frozen, it turns into solid ice which is impossible to eat with a spoon. Surely they are not allowed to spoiled products on sale without marking them as such.

They may genuinely not realise, I see a lot of people acting the ass with freezers/frozen products in supermarkets (standing round with the freezer door open for 10 minutes gawping at things, not pulling freezer lids shut when they open them, ice-cream taken out of freezer, change of mind around the cheese aisle, ice-cream dumped in with the laughing cow triangles) and that's how icecream gets ruined. There is a failsafe way of making sure you don't get the ruined pot of icecream though, if it has icecrystals (the beard of ice effect) on the outside it has been defrosted & refrozen and there's no point buying it. You would probably be doing the staff in your local tesco a favour if you brought it to their attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^^

Totally agree, when I was pregnant I loved fruit pastilles lollys.... 1 box of 4 per day, ahem.

I ate them in the car as soon as I got outside the door of the shop.

It was really hit and miss, box from the front/ back had no difference. people seemed to dump boxes back in if the saw something cheaper.

The only way to make sure I got a good box was to get it straight from the store's ware house freezer. I even reported it once and it was just my box all the others were OK.

I thought the freezer had stopped working and then switched back on.

All you can really do is get in touch with the store as soon as possible so they can check the other stock or refund you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I live next door to a 24hr tesco, at night I see them packing stuff and it is often out on trolleys with pools around it where it has defrosted. Whenever I get icecream in tesco I pick it from the middle of the pile, even then it is quite soft when i get home, perfect for eating but just shows they do not chill the stuff that much. I also find this with pizzas, if from their freezer I have to give it less time as it is half defrosted.

I have seen shelves with transparent carte dor ice cream which had obviously defrosted and been refrozen.
    I've been burned by them twice, but this last time they just took the piss.
    did you complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The cages of stock shouldn't be out for more than 20 mins, i think. The temperature of each freezer is visible on a display above it. So it should be about -16c

I suppose you'd be at home before you realise, best to ring and get the name of the manager looking after frozen, or complain to that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If defrosted stock is being systematically refrozen, report it to the local environmental health officer. This is a public health issue, not a customer service issue.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Environmental_Health_Officers/

Advertisement