Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here I go again on my own........!!

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Ok a bit of background info to begin,

31, 15 stone and in need of some serious exercise,

I was never much of an athlete (always prefer to watch!), but made a New Yrs resolution in 2009 to run a marathon, 4 mths later after totally inadequate training I ran the Belfast marathon in 4:57 having to pretty much walk/jog the last 6 miles!! Subsequently hung up the runners. Ran one 10k last yr in 1:02 and ran one this Feb in 1:01, both with no training whatsoever. Play indoor normally once a wk and thats my level of fitness.

Decided I needed a challenge and since I've never run a half marathon before decided I'd give it a go. Thinking of the Achill half in 11 wks. Not following any set plan but hoping to get 2 runs in during week along with soccer and a long run at the weekend.

Gonna try and train properly this time and not miss many sessions. Now that I've started this log I hope it will keep me focused.

Here goes.....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

So decided to go for a run today to see where i was at. Was a lovely day and after the first mile I actually quite enjoyed it. Not sure if i could have lasted much longer but its a good base to start from anyway.

Distance : 5miles
    Time: 49:40
    Pace: 9:56/m

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Best of luck with the running. I've been loosely following Hal higdons half marathon online training plan.It increases in mileage every week. The half will be no bother to ya

Thanks think I'm gonna try follow the Hal Higdon Intermediate plan myself as much as possible. My problem is I start off these things all go but slowly start to skip sessions, hopefully not this time.

Went for short 3 miler this evening , another beautiful day for a run. Found the 1st mile kinda tough, but always seem to find that, the next 2 miles flew in.

Distance: 3 miles
    Time: 29:15
    Pace: 9:45/Mile

Busy week so only getting out for a run again today.

Time: 28:29
    Pace: 9:30/mile

Slightly easier route this evening only one small hill in first mile , rest flat or downhill. There is a 5k on nearby on Monday so gonna run that since have never run a 5k before so guaranteed a PB (provided I finish). It will also give me a better idea what sort of time i should be running my LSRs at cos fairly sure I'm going too fast at present. No goal time for 5k but sub 28 would be brilliant!! fingers crossed!!

So had a 5km race today. My first 5k so was guaranteed a PB, was hoping for a sub 28.

Set off too fast and first km went in quickly at 5:06, knew i needed to slow down or would have suffered later. 2nd km went in quickly although a half dozen cows broke out from a field about 100 metres in front of me and were my pacemaker for next half mile!!! that km took 5:40 so was feeling fresh going into 3rd km which had a slow 200/300m climb, had trained on these roads so just kept telling myself it was all flat or downhill after this so got through it in 5:55. At this stage was doing the maths in my head to see if id make it under 28. 4th km was all flat and was starting to tire but pushed through in 5:25. Last km I just put head down and gave it all I had, knew i would make it under 28 and was delighted, rounded the last corner and gave a mini sprint to the line. Last km was in 5:05 which was fastest km of the race, surprised i had enough energy at that stage. Finishing Time 27:10!!

Delighted with the time and definite room for improvement but at least it gives me better idea of times for LSR, according to McMillan they should be over 10:37 which is much slower than i currently run at.

Distance: 3.1miles
    Time: 27:10
    Pace: 8:45/mile

• Advertisement

Today was my first attempt at interval training. My plan called for 6 x 400m. First problem that arose was what time to aim for, according to Macmillan they should be between 1:59 - 2:06. Next problem was what time/distance to use for recovery, after looking at lots of sites u went for a recovery time of 2minutes. Next problem do you walk or jog during this, being new and wanting to ensure I.completed the session I choose to walk!!!

So finally with that all sorted off I went. Did a 1km warm up followed by the following splits : 2:02, 1:50, 1:56, 1:43, 1:46 and 1:50!!! So what did I learn about interval training well
    1) I am useless at keeping a steady pace. I actually thought I was going too.slow at times!!!
    2) I think I should be jogging during recovery period cos had lots of energy left.
    3) shorter recovery time/distance.

Despite all that I enjoyed the whole idea of intervals, made a change from just norma/ distance runs and am looking forward to next time.

Distance: 3.54 miles
    Time: 37.23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

All the best with the training, clouter. Its always great to see people get up and do something and set a target, rather than talk about it etc.

Achill is a great half-marathon, really great course. But it is one of the more difficult half marathons out there, so ensure you incorporate hills in your training. Also watch out, as it can sell out quite early in the year. I think with the experience of a marathon behind you and your determination, it won't be an issue though.

Good luck!

Thanks Killerz, must get around to registering for Achill, if all else fails there is a half in Enniscorthy the wk before so will do that as its local.

Went away to Clare for few days last weekend but got food poisoning on friday night so not a pleasant few days, was in no shape to run til today. Went down to Curracloe and ran in Ravens Wood. hadnt been down there since my marathon training days. Planned on doing the 6mile LSR that i missed over the weekend. Decided to take it easy because normally run my LSRs way too fast. Very happy with the pace and was just a nice handy run.

Distance: 6miles
    Time: 1:01:15
    Pace: 10:12/mile

Gonna try a spinning class i think on Thursday for some cross training.

Didnt make it to spinning class as time didnt suit but did get out for quick 3.5 miles. Nothing exciting to report except that the gd weather is over. It rained the whole way through the run so was very proud of myself for not using it as an excuse to back out of the run.

Distance: 3.5 miles
    Time; 33:50
    Pace:9:35/Mile

LSR today of 7miles. Went out to Ravens Wood for it this morning. Felt good all way around except for tummy cramp on last mile.

Time; 1:10:00
    Distance: 7 miles
    Pace: 10:00/mile

Went to Bray during the day to get new runners in Amphibian King. Very impressed with the process and turned out my last runners were actually not suited to me - my new excuse for being slow all those years!!! Got a lovely pair of Asics Gel Nimbus, cant wait to get a run in them during the week.

• Advertisement

Couldnt wait to try out the new runners so off to the gym i went. Did 3 very easy miles, first time on a treadmill in a few yrs. New runners felt great so cant use bad footwear as an excuse anymore.

Did a quick workout while at the gym, wasnt really sure which machines were best so just used all the ones involving legs so did:
    3 sets of 10 leg curls
    3 sets of 10 leg extensions
    3 sets of 10 leg presses????

Time: 32:30
    Pace: 10:50/miles

Also signed up for Achill Half this evening, all systems go!!!!

Quick workout in the gym last night. I downloaded a podcast from MotionTraxx for speed intervals on the treadmill. 40 minute session with speeds varying from 10min/mile down to 7:30/mile. Was a tough workout for me but enjoyable all the same. Enjoyed the challenge did a few 3 minute spells at 7:30 pace which i never thought i could stick but better still was that after those spells it only slowed down to 10min pace which actually felt like a jog even though thats my normal pace!!

Distance: 3.5miles
    Time: 37:00

Looked up the route for Achill Half yesterday and realised there is a 2 mile hill after the 1st mile so went and found a 2 mile hill beside me and ran up and down it. First real bit of hillwork i've done, The 2 miles up the hill took 10:40,10:10 and the 2 downhill miles took 9:05 and 9:25. Gonna try and incorporate more hills in the next few weeks. Didnt find it too tough either.

Distance : 4 miles
    Time: 39:20
    Pace:9:50/mile

Todays plan called for an 8 mile LSR so back down to Ravens Wood i went. For some reason my Garmin was giving my pace for kms but got into a nice rhythm of 6:20/km and on i went. Was checking my mile time at each beep but somehow managed to lose count of the miles I had done so got a shock when I finished and seen my time was 1:30, thought I had been running faster than 11min/miles then i realised i had actually ran 9 miles!!!! Must change Garmin back to miles!!!

Distance: 9 miles
    Time: 1:30:37
    Pace: 10:04/mile

Quick update

On Monday had 5 a side for an hr, definitely felt fitter and able to keep going longer.

Yesterday evening was back to the gym and did the same interval workout that I did last week. Actually found it a bit harder this week as legs were a bit stiff after the soccer on monday.

Ditance: 3.5miles
    Time : 37 Minutes

Had a change of plans too, cant make Achill now as it clashes with something else so gonna do the Enniscorthy Half the week before instead. Much flatter course too so might be for the best for my first half.

Had a busy weekend so only got out on Friday evening for a quick 10k. My previous 10k best was 59min so decided to try and beat that and see could i get close to 55min. First 2 miles were slowest at 9:22 and 9:14 but after that did all miles around 9:05 and did final one in 8:49. Completed it in 56:28 so a PB of sorts by over 2 mins. Confident of going sub 55 in a race during the summer.

Distance: 6.2miles
    Time: 56:28
    Pace: 9:05/mile

Quick 3 miler this evening, nothing else to add except that I sweated buckets in the gym doing it!! Must get back outside tomorrow for my run!

Time: 31:30
    Pace: 10:30/mile

Out to the track for 8 X 400m intervals this evening. Kept them all between 1:55 and 2:00 so happy with pacing. Took 1min recovery between them was starting to tire a bit by the end. With 1 mile warm up and 1.5mile cool down total of 4.5 miles.

Distance: 4.5 miles
    Time:48.02
    Intervals: 117,118,116,120,115,117,118,119

Quick Update

Did 4 miles on Thurs evening, tried a tempo first mile 9:40 followed by 2 miles at 8:40 and 8:50 with another slower mile 9:30 to finish.

Went to Slane on Saturday so did nothing but drink and eat rubbish for 2 days solid. Most exercise I got was standing for 4 hrs at the gig.

So after a lazy weekend had to get my 10miler in today, v happy with how it went. Was dry for most of the run, the heavens opened for the last few minutes. Kept a fairly steady pace all through and averaged 9:38 which was little faster than I had planned. Shins were sore for first 3 miles but eventually pain went away, hopefully its nothing to worry about.

Distance: 10.4miles
    Time: 1:40:49
    Pace; 9:38/mile

Right quick update of last week.

On Wednesday I did some intervals, did .75 mile warm up followed by 9 X 400m.
    Aim was to keep under 8:00mile which was 2:00 intervals. My times were 117, 118,118, 117, 118, 117, 119, 117, 115, Finished with a .75mile cool down.
    Was very happy with my times and felt good after them.

On Thursday went for a quick 4miler cos it was such a lovely evening.
    Time: 37:25
    DIistance: 4 miles
    Pace: 9:21 m/miles

On Sunday ran the Runegal 10k up in Horn Head. Very tough race, its about 2k on flat followed by 3k climb of about 700 ft, had to take a couple of walking breaks to get up. Reached the 5k point at the top of Horn Head in 33:30 so though my hopes of sub 60 wasnt gonna happen. Thankfully next 4k is all downhill so really taxied down and realisaed I was gonna make it when I reached the 9k mark. Last km was flat and was delighted to pass the finish line in 58:45. Happy with that and was a 4minute improvement on last yrs run.

Time : 58:45
    Distance: 10k
    Pace: 9:26 min/mile

• Advertisement
Advertisement