Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Studies 2011 predictions ?!

• 17-04-2011 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

hi everyone, does anyone know any predictions for this years construction exam ???? I am going to fail it !!!

I know it is quite easy subject but I just can get all the details ,measurements,drawings and names into my head !! I just have no talent to construction studies !!!
    So im looking for help to narrow the area of study.

I know that U-values is comming up as q5 and passive solar house as q10.

If you know something about this years exam let me know ...please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No point trying to find predictions. Get the dimensions right for your door, window, eaves, etc. Go through the past papers. If you're able to answer them, you will not have a problem with the paper at all. It's pretty much the same thing asked every year. If you're really finding the dimensions tough, find some way to remember them, i.e base of the foundation is 3 times the height. Just sketch them over and over and write the dimensions down. Don't forget scaling your drawings appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

thanks cydoniac, for drawings I will probably do as you said.

but still i wouldn't like to learn everything that is one the course cuz it will take me 3times the time, it would take me to learn whole biology course or other subject
    so still i would like to narrow the number of topics to minimum.

You could get a good grade simply by getting the exam paper questions right. You have the Constuction Studies Today book right? It's full of waffle, you could cut half that book out and still have enough info to get an A1. Just condense the stuff in the book into notes and use it for reference to help you answer questions. It's what I do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I must confess that I do quite well in construction studies exams however I do have a strong interest in it.

I think the thing which helps be most is my past experience working on sites. Its easier to remember things when you have seen them been applied in real life. Perhaps that can help you in some way ?

Another thing that I find about construction is that a lot of it is applicable in other sections. For examples, the question 1 drawing each year will most likely always include a 300/350mm external wall. The drawings, to me anyways, only vary a little bit each year.

Is there any sections your finding particularly tough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

At this stage you should focus on the past papers - don't just read over them - actually sit down and write out the answers - make sure you structure your answers properly (i.e. if it reads 'note and sketches' you must have a separate note and sketch for each point)... there are some useful revision notes here: www.constructionstudies.ie - go to 'second level'.

Listen out for my advice on Countdown to 806 on 2fm.

BTW Cydoniac... Ouch!!! I'm writing a second edition at the moment - I'll try to reduce the waffle ;-)

• Advertisement

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    I must confess that I do quite well in construction studies exams however I do have a strong interest in it.

I think the thing which helps be most is my past experience working on sites. Its easier to remember things when you have seen them been applied in real life. Perhaps that can help you in some way ?

Another thing that I find about construction is that a lot of it is applicable in other sections. For examples, the question 1 drawing each year will most likely always include a 300/350mm external wall. The drawings, to me anyways, only vary a little bit each year.

Is there any sections your finding particularly tough ?

Generaly, whole construction studies course is tough. i have diffictulties with drawings, as we dont draw much. but i have to seat and learn how to draw each part of the house. I think there is no way around it :(.

The u values are grand cuz i really like maths, the q10 passive sollar house is also ok.
    actualy is it the question that must come up on the exam ? the same as uvalues ? or the may throw in something else instead of these questions? (hope they wont do it !!) safety is ok ... if it will come up.
    generaly - I just have problem with remembering all the verbs and dimensions !! from the rest of the course (wheel chair acces, all the planning permissions etc) Ooohhh and i don't know anything on drainage !! it is a massive chapter and comes up frequantly .. :(

Trev64 wrote: »
    At this stage you should focus on the past papers - don't just read over them - actually sit down and write out the answers - make sure you structure your answers properly (i.e. if it reads 'note and sketches' you must have a separate note and sketch for each point)... there are some useful revision notes here: www.constructionstudies.ie - go to 'second level'.

BTW Cydoniac... Ouch!!! I'm writing a second edition at the moment - I'll try to reduce the waffle ;-)

The notes are brilliant !!! thanks very much for them !!!

i will listen to the radio for defooo
    it is 30th May 2011 - 17th June 2011
    Weekdays 19:00 - 20:00
    Am i right ?

szybki wrote: »
    The u values are grand cuz i really like maths, the q10 passive sollar house is also ok.
    actualy is it the question that must come up on the exam ? the same as uvalues ? or the may throw in something else instead of these questions? (hope they wont do it !!) safety is ok ... if it will come up.
    generaly - I just have problem with remembering all the verbs and dimensions !! from the rest of the course (wheel chair acces, all the planning permissions etc) Ooohhh and i don't know anything on drainage !! it is a massive chapter and comes up frequently .. :(

Ehh I do not think any questions are guaranteed to come up. I know U-value normally does anyways. If you like maths it might be worth learning the Daylight formula in the light chapter as well as I believe thats come up a few times.

I think eco friendly houses would be a kind of broad topic that should come up as question 9/10 especially with todays environment if ya get me. It would be the kind of brackets that "Solar houses" would appear under anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You could get a good grade simply by getting the exam paper questions right. You have the Constuction Studies Today book right? It's full of waffle, you could cut half that book out and still have enough info to get an A1. Just condense the stuff in the book into notes and use it for reference to help you answer questions. It's what I do anyway.
    Trev64 wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:

Cydoniac, looks like you'll be failing Trevor Hickey's module next year if he ever cops on to who you really are ;)

I take it seeing as you're writing a second edition that Arch. Tech definitely won't be coming in for a good for years. Will we still be taught Const.Std. next year or Arch.Tech? I take it they both overlap? Cydoniac and I both have it down as number 1 on the CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tipptop1

trev on that website contructionstudies.ie i can'tdownload the u-vale calculation notes why is this can you fix it please?

• Advertisement

Oh dear! I'm terribly sorry, that wasn't meant to come across the way it did Trevor.

So if I learn :
    u-values
    safety
    wheel chair access
    sound
    passive solar house
    building the houses with low enviromental impact in rural/urban area
    a few types of insulation
    and a few drawings for Q1

I will be grand. yyyy will I ?

Dude its hard to say youll be grand. Anything thats on the syllabus can come up so its hard to 100% say youll do well if you just learn those topics off.

But they are logical topics that normally (not definitive) come up.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Dude its hard to say youll be grand. Anything thats on the syllabus can come up so its hard to 100% say youll do well if you just learn those topics off.

But they are logical topics that normally (not definitive) come up.

Fine. I totaly understand this. I just wanted to confirm that Im looking at right topics ... and im not saying they will come up. im just have a hope that they will come up

Is there any particular drawings that teachers think that may come up ????
    (but please dont tell me that all of them may come up cuz i know this !) I 'm just trying to narrow the area of study by next 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Trev64

tiptop1: I checked the link - it's fine - u still having problems with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Done the higher day pice exam their yesterday, rock hard !

did you get to keep the sheet with the drawings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's not give details of active examinations, thanks.

sorry shouldnt have asked

I hope it will not be so difficult as last year's practical exam :(

• Advertisement

szybki wrote: »
    I hope it will not be so difficult as last year's practical exam :(
    One group did it in my school today. Apparently everyone was saying it's not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Cydoniac wrote: »
    One group did it in my school today. Apparently everyone was saying it's not bad at all.

What was it? Any particulatly hard joints or anything?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok, we'll have to lock this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement