Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

have to admit at being slightly confused at the start that the two blonde clans were connected but they're not, 2 good eps, but confusing refferring to so many things and names you havn't seen or you're not sure if you have or not and have to go look it up.

http://hauteslides.com/2011/05/game-of-thrones-infographic-illustrated-guide-to-houses-and-character-relationships/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'd just like to remind everyone that I'm intentionally not reading (not 100% not reading, I read three or four with a careful eye) or responding to the posts here because of how everything is getting spoiled here.

I came on to look at what you guys were saying about episode 6, and straightaway in the first posts (the only ones I looked at) I see all this stuff about people about to spill the beans without even so much as a warning for episode 7.

"thought you weren't posting lololol"

Yeah I'll allow that criticism. But I think that what you are doing by allowing this is disgusting... yes disgusting, because having read the book I know there are SERIOUS, SERIOUS spoilers ahead in episode 7. I don't want to be spoiled by knowing the details of what's in the episode even though I'm aware of the general outline.

I shall be waiting until next Monday to see episode 7, because I don't want to have to wait two weeks to see another episode after this one. To the little children who insist on having episode 7 now and find themselves as superior for it: enjoy yourselves but please try and not to spoil it for others. AT LEAST preface it with "this is about episode 7". Again I'm not reading the posts so I don't know if people are doing this, I'm sure there's a big hoopla about it and the episode whole series has been irrevocably spoiled for many people already.

btw, I rate episode 6 as 10/10. I thought it was really brilliant, everything right. All aspects of it. I'm already getting a strong desire to view it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ tbf....if you read the thread fair warning was given about episode 7 being broadcast + very little thus far has been revealed, nothing specific, just general feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Yeah I'll allow that criticism. But I think that what you are doing by allowing this is disgusting... yes disgusting, because having read the book I know there are SERIOUS, SERIOUS spoilers ahead in episode 7.

Overreaction there with the disgusting comment I think. And I don't know why you are so worked up seeing as you read the books already. I havn't read the books, but I wouldn't be foolish enough to come here when there's a new episode out that I havn't yet seen. It's not our fault that you refuse to watch episode 7 till next week, it's out now and obviously people are going to watch it. For the record I didn't spoil anything, but I think it's daft that you're bitching about spoilers of an episode that has already been released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone discussing episode 7, please put comments in spoiler tags and say that it's related to episode 7 in plain text. It's not fair on the people who are watching on Sky Atlantic.

Just when this thread had started to settle down.
    Thanks HBO. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Missed last night's episode. :(

Is it repeated during the week on Atlantic?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

I'd just like to remind everyone that I'm intentionally not reading (not 100% not reading, I read three or four with a careful eye) or responding to the posts here because of how everything is getting spoiled here.

I came on to look at what you guys were saying about episode 6, and straightaway in the first posts (the only ones I looked at) I see all this stuff about people about to spill the beans without even so much as a warning for episode 7.

"thought you weren't posting lololol"

Yeah I'll allow that criticism. But I think that what you are doing by allowing this is disgusting... yes disgusting, because having read the book I know there are SERIOUS, SERIOUS spoilers ahead in episode 7. I don't want to be spoiled by knowing the details of what's in the episode even though I'm aware of the general outline.

I shall be waiting until next Monday to see episode 7, because I don't want to have to wait two weeks to see another episode after this one. To the little children who insist on having episode 7 now and find themselves as superior for it: enjoy yourselves but please try and not to spoil it for others. AT LEAST preface it with "this is about episode 7". Again I'm not reading the posts so I don't know if people are doing this, I'm sure there's a big hoopla about it and the episode whole series has been irrevocably spoiled for many people already.

btw, I rate episode 6 as 10/10. I thought it was really brilliant, everything right. All aspects of it. I'm already getting a strong desire to view it again.

The only post that mentioned anything about the content from ep. 7 was clearly marked with a spoiler.

All other posts including my own simply portrayed our approval at how awesome the episode was.

I've followed this thread from the start but last night was the first time I simply had to post here about it.
    You on the other hand appear to revel in the pedantic carry-on of chastising posters who are attempting to add to the enjoyment of the thread.

The very fact that you're back on here after your earlier post clearly said you would not return, speaks volumes.

When I see your posts and think of the show - I cannot help but picture you as LittleFinger for some reason....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Think it's been a good four episodes but I can't help thinking the show takes a dip in quality every time it goes to the Dothrakian country. It tends to look very Xena-esque. The Dothrakian's ride around half naked in the Irish countryside and it looks cloudy and freezing. Very unrealistic looking.

The performances are patchy. Some excellent, some terrible. King Robert is woeful. Think Ned's wife was poor enough casting too. Obviously Thyrion, Jon Snow, Arya are great. I also happen to think Lena Headley is being harshly judged here. Think she plays Cersei as a real Ice Maiden. I would love for Bran's character to become a bit more developed. Think the actor is really good and the character has amazing potential.

If you really want to see poor quality unrealistic fare check out Camelot. The script is woeful. The special effects look like a teenager with a 5 year old laptop threw them together. The sets and scenes in general look like something your average amature dramatic group would do with a decent budget. As if that wasn't bad enough it is dragged down completely by the blond talentless model playing Arthur. Joseph Fiennes, Eva Green and Claire Forlani all looked up for it in the first eposide but four episodes in they look totally bewildered and worn down by the dross all around them.

Watch that for 10 minutes and you'll think Game of Thrones is Oscar material. I'm really enjoying Game of Thrones but my fear is that the storyline is so complex and web like ten episodes won't be enough to do it justice and it will be rushed at the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The only post that mentioned anything about the content from ep. 7 was clearly marked with a spoiler.
    All other posts including my own simply portrayed our approval at how awesome the episode was.
    ...You on the other hand appear to revel in the pedantic carry-on of chastising posters who are attempting to add to the enjoyment of the thread.
    ........When I see your posts and think of the show - I cannot help but picture you as LittleFinger for some reason....
    Agreed. Saying that Ep.7 is awesome isn't spoiling anything!

I still have to see Ep 6 or 7. I have no problem with the comments on those 2 episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Episode 7 question
    What was the punishment they gave to the assasin? All I heard was they would tie him to a horse and make him run. Once someone made it nine miles. In the end you see him being led along at the back of the column. Was that the punishment? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

related to ep 7, answering feelingstressed
    he had to run/jog behind a horse and if he fell to the ground he just got dragged along until he died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Seriously??? You're not a moderator, you need to stop stressing yourself out.
    The mods are doing enough of that for all of us!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Just a quick one, when was Ep 7 out? was there some kind of double bill? I thought 6 was the most recent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

giftgrub wrote: »
    Just a quick one, when was Ep 7 out? was there some kind of double bill? I thought 6 was the most recent?

It was only released early for HBO go, their mobile service I think. It can be found elsewhere though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Walking dead was based on a comic property and there wasn't half the hassle with spoilers or people bitching about spoilers in that thread as there has been in this one , people need to stop getting their panties up in a bunch about every little thing or this thread will degenerate into a succession of great ep posts because there will be no room for discussion or speculation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Walking Dead went off in a different tangent to the comics. It's a fairly loose adaptation, not like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Where are you all watching episode 7? Can't find a stream anywhere :(

The very fact that you're back on here after your earlier post clearly said you would not return, speaks volumes.

When I see your posts and think of the show - I cannot help but picture you as LittleFinger for some reason....

In the context and totality of his postings i think that is a fair observation/dig...albeit kinda snarky :)

To the little children who insist on having episode 7 now and find themselves as superior for it: enjoy yourselves but please try and not to spoil it for others. AT LEAST preface it with "this is about episode 7". Again I'm not reading the posts so I don't know if people are doing this, I'm sure there's a big hoopla about it and the episode whole series has been irrevocably spoiled for many people already.

:eek: well i've just "aquired" episode 8 and it's fracking
    a wind up
    - so whatcha gonna do now? :D

Rossgorry wrote: »
    Where are you all watching episode 7? Can't find a stream anywhere :(

My young padwan, learn you will not to ask for such things here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Silly me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Flaker

Bronn is Jerome from "Robson and Jerome" - true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone discussing episode 7, please put comments in spoiler tags and say that it's related to episode 7 in plain text. It's not fair on the people who are watching on Sky Atlantic.

Just when this thread had started to settle down.
    Thanks HBO. :(

I can only guess what Richard's post was before the edit by yourself.

Flaker wrote: »
    Bronn is Jerome from "Robson and Jerome" - true!

lol Sellsword sellsword
    Westeros style ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

HBO released the 7th episode on their HBO GO service after the 6th one aired. Can't find any info on the 8th episode being released next week though. Looks like a 2 week wait for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

coming along nicely, isn't it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

episode 6 spoilers so put down the pitchforks

am i the only one that felt a bit sorry for the brother getting his head melted?

i know he's a pretty despicable character but the guy had a legitimate claim to the throne and got badly shafted by his sister who basically just cast him aside and forgot about him when it was his plan to go to the dothraki in the first place to raise an army

anyone else feel a twinge of sympathy for him

and also remember the sis touched the dragon eggs and didn't get burnt, they must have some genetic resistance to heat (I know their history is linked to dragons) but then why did bro die from a melted head, one would think he would be able to resist,
    also they didn't seem at all bothered by his death in episode 7, just carried on as if nothing had happened, ok he was a twat but he was her brother and she didn't even seem to mourn him, a bit heartless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

In the book she shows some regret for his death, even though clearly she despised him. Don't know if this will come across in the programme.

Does anyone suspect lord Snow is the rightful heir to the iron throne?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking the blacksmiths boy

Papa Smut wrote: »

No...that was John Aaron's bas*ard....not Robert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

That's not true. The blacksmith's apprentice was Robert's bastard, not the previous Hand. The previous Hand was asking that kid a bunch of questions because he was the one who initially started investigating what Ned has only just figured out by following in his footsteps. That was the guy who first started reading that big book of ancestry. It may even be why he is dead. Ned could immediately tell who the boy was based on his resemblance to a young Robert, which he commented on.

I don't think bastards can automatically be the rightful heir unless they are officially legitimized, but it's not always as cut and dried as that. Someone with an army at their disposal might decide to use it as a justification to try to enforce a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

donfers wrote: »
    episode 6 spoilers so put down the pitchforks

am i the only one that felt a bit sorry for the brother getting his head melted?

i know he's a pretty despicable character but the guy had a legitimate claim to the throne and got badly shafted by his sister who basically just cast him aside and forgot about him when it was his plan to go to the dothraki in the first place to raise an army

and also remember the sis touched the dragon eggs and didn't get burnt, they must have some genetic resistance to heat (I know their history is linked to dragons) but then why did bro die from a melted head, one would think he would be able to resist,
    also they didn't seem at all bothered by his death in episode 7, just carried on as if nothing had happened, ok he was a twat but he was her brother and she didn't even seem to mourn him, a bit heartless?

On the other hand he whored out his sister to someone he regards as a savage so he can raise an army, threatened to kill her and her unborn child in front of said savage, told her he would let the Khal's 40,000 men and their horses fu<k her if that's what it took to get what he wanted, felt her up, and was a vain arrogant fool.

So, not feeling a huge amount of sympathy, no :pac:

As for the resistance to heat:
    in the first episode Daenerys gets into the scalding hot bath with no problems so that's been shown before, also she says right after he dies of the gold crown 'he was no dragon' - the obvious implication being that it is she that is born to rule, not him. If he was destined to rule, the heat wouldn't have bothered him either.

Nope, you're wrong. Robert's bastard is the 'prentice blacksmith, Gendry.

Also just as a kind of sidenote to the history of the Targaryen's. They've tended to interbreed over the years. Incest not an issue with their family. So they've always kept their 'dragon blood'.
    Now that doesn't mean they're super powered half dragons immune to fire, they're not. Some of them have had a tolerance to heat. They're just as mortal as the next guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

donfers wrote: »

Ya I agree with ya.
    He was a total wimp, and it was a kick in the hole and smack down he really deserved, not the most vicious death I've seen on TV for years.

• Advertisement

No
    Papa Smut wrote: »

I would say so. He has more right that Joffrey anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Without examples, just in general how faithful is the show to the books? I'm not a big fan of reading but I'd be very tempted as I havent been as excited about a TV show in a long time as I am with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in general it's pretty faithful, but they have changed things for tv.

i realise that doesnt actually tell you aything, but you did say no examples :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Yes I see now the issue with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Quick question. Only problem is I watched 6 and 7 together so not 100% which episode it relates to, so will be using spoiler tags. So I guess only look if you've seen 7 or read the books. (If anyone can confirm it was episode 6 I'll remove the spoiler tags!)

edit - removing spoiler tags!

Maybe this is stupid, but how does Ned work out Joffrey is illegitimate simply from reading the lineage and noting the hair colour. If Robert was his actual father, his mother is still blonde, so surely he could be blond and still be legitimate? Or am I missing a basic principle of genetics!?

• Advertisement

Thats ep 6 alrite I think.

Maybe wait for a 2nd confirmation though before removing the tags. I'd hate for your to loose your head cause of me.

Anyways....
    The blonde hair is just a lot device really to get viewers thinking he isn't Roberts kid, I suspected that he wasn't Roberts after the end of episode 1, and in a few scenes he is nothing like Robert, he seems to be all Lannister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

abelard wrote: »
    Quick question. Only problem is I watched 6 and 7 together so not 100% which episode it relates to, so will be using spoiler tags. So I guess only look if you've seen 7 or read the books. (If anyone can confirm it was episode 6 I'll remove the spoiler tags!)
    Maybe this is stupid, but how does Ned work out Joffrey is illegitimate simply from reading the lineage and noting the hair colour. If Robert was his actual father, his mother is still blonde, so surely he could be blond and still be legitimate? Or am I missing a basic principle of genetics!?
    Its that combined with the fact that Jon Arryn was murdered along with with happened to Bran that makes Ned put the pieces together.

abelard wrote: »

Yeah obv studies in genetics haven't occurred in this world yet. But when all the lineage points to black hair and combined with Arryn's words of "the seed is strong" and him ending up dead. It makes a compelling case to Ned.

No need for spoiler tags, it was ep.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

s.welstead wrote: »
    Yeah obv studies in genetics haven't occurred in this world yet. But when all the lineage points to black hair and combined with Arryn's words of "the seed is strong" and him ending up dead. It makes a compelling case to Ned.

Ah lads the poor child obviously just takes after his mother's side with the blond hair.
    Sure isn't he the image of his uncle....... oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

touts wrote: »
    Ah lads the poor child obviously just takes after his mother's side with the blond hair.
    Sure isn't he the image of his uncle....... oh wait....
    s.welstead wrote: »

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Its that combined with the fact that Jon Arryn was murdered along with with happened to Bran that makes Ned put the pieces together.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Thats ep 6 alrite I think.

Maybe wait for a 2nd confirmation though before removing the tags. I'd hate for your to loose your head cause of me.

Anyways....
    The blonde hair is just a lot device really to get viewers thinking he isn't Roberts kid, I suspected that he wasn't Roberts after the end of episode 1, and in a few scenes he is nothing like Robert, he seems to be all Lannister.

Ok, thanks for that, I'll just run with it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The production quality is fantastic.

The show itself is very flat and I am having difficulty finding any likeable characters or even characters I don't like and want to see killed. The closest so far is Peter Dinklage.

My favourite tv show is Deadwood, which had scores of likeable and hateable characters.

Pity, after episodes I find myself watching it because of the quality of the sets etc rather than giving a toss about the story/characters :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Dermighty wrote: »
    The production quality is fantastic.

The show itself is very flat and I am having difficulty finding any likeable characters or even characters I don't like and want to see killed. The closest so far is Peter Dinklage.
    You mean you have no empathy even for Arya or Ned? Wow. Personally I've found loads of characters I like/love to hate and wouldn't want to see gone. I was really :( when Jory died and he was only a side character.
    Even Jamie and Cersei have some redeeming qualities.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Even Jamie and Cersei have some redeeming qualities.

Agree with ya except for that part.

No in my opinion Ned Stark is too honourable a man to lied to Jon when he told him "you may not have my name but you have my blood" he's definately a stark and not a Baratheon for me, which is, I presume what you meant by him possibly being the righful heir .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

No direwolves saving Bran from the wildlings :(

Too much Theon and Ros

Sansa is even more annoying than in the books.

previous episode, the Renly/Loras angle - didn't see that coming:) I guess it makes some sense...

• Advertisement
Advertisement