Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He wasn't really accepted in Winterfell by Catelyn though, she hates him from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so the Black Watch is a cross between the priesthood and the Foreign Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Skerries wrote: »
    so the Black Watch is a cross between the priesthood and the Foreign Legion

The Night Watch ;)

I think that's a good comparison yeah.

edit:

Cat doesn't really hate him, but she knows he isn't her son and he reminds her of Ned's unfaithfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Des wrote: »
    He wasn't really accepted in Winterfell by Catelyn though, she hates him from what I've seen.
    Yeah theres two scenes that stick out in my mind showing that he wasnt really a welcome part of the family. The first is in episode 1 when they find the wolves and John says something along the lines of "there are five pups, one for each of the Stark children" whereby he excludes himself from the counting and if I remember correctly he also said something to the effect that hes not a Stark when asked why he wont have one; the second is in episode 2 when John goes to say goodbye to Bran and Catelyn, whos keeping vigil at Brans bed, doesnt want John in the room at all and basically tells him to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

To paraphrase Liam Neeson in a speech he gives in Kingdom of Heaven there( on the wall in this context, the holy land in the context of that film) you are not what you are born but what you have it in yourself to be , being a bastard Jon is heir to nothing winterfell would never pass to him other then through Kingly decree on the wall he can rise to as high a station as his ambition will take him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

To paraphrase Liam Neeson in a speech he gives in Kingdom of Heaven there( on the wall in this context, the holy land in the context of that film) you are not what you are born but what you have it in yourself to be , being a bastard Jon is heir to nothing winterfell would never pass to him other then through Kingly decree on the wall he can rise to as high a station as his ambition will take him .

But to what end? Spending his dotage p!ssing off the side of the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cianos wrote: »
    This is what I didn't get really - it's not like his relationship with the family that took him in was difficult - there seems to be an acute awareness that he isn't of true lineage but other than that he seems quite accepted? His rapport with Ned seems solid enough anyway which would suggest that others would hold respect for him as well. Even being the son of Ned and being able handed in combat should grant him respect amongst the kingdom, bastard or not. So his desire to go to the wall for reasons of feeling like an outcast seems a bit stretched imo.

Well the makers of the programme can only so so much with the source. They do a good job on Snow and his motives for moving imo but you are (a) missing the fact that Cat hates him and (b) missing the fact that the family dynamic is split, with Ned and his daughters moving to King's Landing and Robb becoming the head of the family in Winterfell. On top of that, although Jon is respected and liked he is still known as the bastard, a 'snow' and always will be regardless of his father.

On top of all that, Jon has a naive understanding of what it means to be part of Night's Watch.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The Night Watch ;)

I think that's a good comparison yeah.

edit:

Cat doesn't really hate him, but she knows he isn't her son and he reminds her of Ned's unfaithfulness.

Nah she does. It could have been more visceral in the programme, but Cat's character isn't great in the book or the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

I'm saying this before i start and get accused of spoiling :D - I HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER I'M JUST SPECULATING...

Does anyone else think that Ned will be sent to jail in King's Landing and then eventually end up with the Nights Watch as punishment for being an enemy of the Kingdoms??

A bit far fetched i know but anything can happen in this show really!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Doubt it Kettle316, it realy does seem far fetched

I'm reading the books but I'm still on the parts covered by TV. So I don't realy know anything extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Nope Harper and the rest of the Rifles will come and break him out.

Sh!te wrong show. People have to stop giving Sean Bean a sword :P

Really feel this show is getting going and love the interplay with the main families. The Drogo Dany story is class and moves along well even though they dont get huge air time.

Have to say though more Anya brilliant little actress.

And more Direwolves or wolves in general :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Anya's actress is so good, it's kind of ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Wow, I hated all of that. Found none of it the slightest bit good or amusing. Not funny.

Wow, I hated all of that. Found none of it the slightest bit good or amusing. Not funny.

oh hi superfanboy, its not that great, but i think it pointed out of a lot of inexplicably stupid decisions we've been talking about, easy pickings but its worth pointing out, like when ned using a magic eightball, because there can be no other possible explanation for his decision making process and when the girl forgives the guy that got her friend murdered.

• Advertisement

oh hi superfanboy, its not that great, but i think it pointed out of a lot of inexplicably stupid decisions we've been talking about, easy pickings but its worth pointing out, like when ned using a magic eightball, because there can be no other possible explanation for his decision making process and when the girl forgives the guy that got her friend murdered.

What.

Once again, Ned Stark is the central catalyst for the story, hence his decision making not being perfect. He is primarily there to push the story in certian directions.

and when the girl forgives the guy that got her friend murdered.

That was the other girl, Sansa. Arya wouldn't forgive Joffrey or the Hound for her friend's death.

ok so she shouldn't forgive the death of sisters friend either, and there's imperfect and there magic eight ball type decisions!

ok so she shouldn't forgive the death of sisters friend either, and there's imperfect and there magic eight ball type decisions!

What. Sansa cares about her prince, and getting married, not about her sister's friend that she doesn't even know.

Orizio wrote: »
    What. Sansa cares about her prince, and getting married, not about her sister's friend that she doesn't even know.

its a book you know and this is the real world so we can see ned's stupid decisions as stupid decisions and not be bound to a novelists tricks, and we can view ignoring how somebody caused somebody's death as psychopathic, and not simply see it through her eyes as written.

the-best-game-of-thrones-internet-meme-yet-stupid-ned-stark
    http://io9.com/5807144/the-best-game-of-thrones-internet-meme-yet-stupid-ned-stark/gallery/

tumblr_ll5xxcNXLV1qjuha7o1_400.png

• Advertisement

Was watching the next episode preview when a poster gave a link to in this thread.

God, those youtube comments
    Full of oneupmanship. "Ok that person isn't a true fan, I asked them about some obscure character and they didn't know. Not a true fan like us...."
    Get a life!

Not to mention the spoilers

Have to very careful about watching those previews. Lots of youtube users dying to show off their knowledge and give spoilers.

Not unlike this thread used to be ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm starting to think Ned Stark is a bit slow?, poor Ned Stark.....brave man, terrible decisions!, is he supposed to be this thick or just not cut out to play the game of thrones?

Any book spoilers about Sansa?....does she get her kit off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I'm starting to think Ned Stark is a bit slow?, poor Ned Stark.....brave man, terrible decisions!, is he supposed to be this thick or just not cut out to play the game of thrones?

Any book spoilers about Sansa?....does she get her kit off?

1. Book spoilers go in the other thread.

2. She's 13

pljudge321 wrote: »
    2. She's 13

At 13 years of age, Sophie Turner is the same age as the character she plays in Game of Thrones - Sansa Stark, the ladylike eldest daughter of the Lord of Winterfell.

http://www.gameofthrones1.com/cast/cast/id/22/Sansa-Stark

Wow. I always thought she looked grown, and thought they made her old enough so we could see a bit of totty at some point.

its a book you know and this is the real world so we can see ned's stupid decisions as stupid decisions and not be bound to a novelists tricks, and we can view ignoring how somebody caused somebody's death as psychopathic, and not simply see it through her eyes as written.

... could you (or someone that does know what you are on about) re-phrase this into something vaguely literate? I can't rebuke your points if they make almost no sense.

Orizio wrote: »
    ... could you (or someone that does know what you are on about) re-phrase this into something vaguely literate? I can't rebuke your points if they make almost no sense.

Oh please god no, let sleeping dogs lie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

pljudge321 wrote: »
    2. She's 13
    Maybe Richard is too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

At 13 years of age, Sophie Turner is the same age as the character she plays in Game of Thrones - Sansa Stark, the ladylike eldest daughter of the Lord of Winterfell.

Wow. I always thought she looked grown, and thought they made her old enough so we could see a bit of totty at some point.

So Roz and the the rest of littlefingers girls aren't enough lol

there is simply no pleasing some people :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Nope that's wrong she's 15 actually. Born Feb 1996
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3849842/

• Advertisement

Just 3 episodes left for season 1.

Also season 2 has been confirmed at 10 epsiodes. GRRM will write the penultimate episode of Seaon 2.

I'm a little disappointed by only 10 eps again but I'll trust in the decision. Hopefully it means a whopper CGI budget for direwolves and the likes.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Nope that's wrong she's 15 actually. Born Feb 1996
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3849842/

Oh, that's a good point.... she's 15 now. I'm sure the article was right at the time of writing that though, maybe she was 14 during the acting.

Whatever the case we'll have to wait a few more seasons. :pac:

^ *cringe* and *shudder* and *shiver* ^

best episode yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

best episode yet!

I wasnt a fan of the show, but wow i am now

Ok, now I can't wait :D

For those who claim Ned's a fool: Stay tuned.

Someone posted a spoiler pages back about the White Walkers and claimed it was "just speculation"....well after ep. 8 i call BS on that!!!

Blatant spoiler, he should be taken out a flogged 50 times [or at least an infraction, not for the spoiler but for lying about it!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Someone posted a spoiler pages back about the White Walkers and claimed it was "just speculation"....well after ep. 8 i call BS on that!!!

Blatant spoiler, he should be taken out a flogged 50 times [or at least an infraction, not for the spoiler but for lying about it!]

But,it was just speculation on what he saw of them at the start, and tbf it's not a gigantic leap to come to that conclusion.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    But,it was just speculation on what he saw of them at the start, and tbf it's not a gigantic leap to come to that conclusion.

Sorry but it was WAY too specific, others said they hadn't considered that about the White Walkers, i never picked up on it....when ep. 8 dropped i INSTANTLY remembered his post and :rolleyes: my eyes, i might just create a meme for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sorry but it was WAY too specific, others said they hadn't considered that about the White Walkers, i never picked up on it....when ep. 8 dropped i INSTANTLY remembered his post and :rolleyes: my eyes, i might just create a meme for him.

Actually,what piece of speculation are you talking about? I just saw your post saying they might be
    vampires

Fwiw,none of those posts should have been treated as spoilers, it was just speculation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another week, another stream of paranoia, and arguments about who is spoiling what. To be honest, given what we saw in episode 1, and what we're seeing now, the White Walkers clearly seem to be some kind of undead horde, with the ability to "infect" people.

So at a guess - it looks like things are really going to go pear-shaped for everyone around about now: it's obvious Winter / the white walkers are going to appear just as the civil war kicks off, or reaches a conclusion.

I hope Rob & co. kicks Lannister arse - I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping and waiting for this - but I suspect it's going to be a hollow & brief victory, because a depleted & shattered kingdom will then find itself under siege from the undead in the North, and from Genghis ... sorry, the Dothraki in the South / across the water.

In fact, 10 euro says that the last scene of series 1 will be a shot across the narrow sea of ships in their hundreds sailing towards Kings Landing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fact, 10 euro says that the last scene of series 1 will be a shot across the narrow sea of ships in their hundreds sailing towards Kings Landing.

That sounds like a spoiler :pac:

Not looking for a spoiler

My only question is do you think they'll finish the first book within the 10 episodes?

Or will the first book carry over to Season 2?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That sounds like a spoiler :pac:
    Ha, well never reads the books, so I assure you it's pure speculation; but it does all seem to be heading in that direction at this late stage.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    My only question is do you think they'll finish the first book within the 10 episodes?

I thought that was supposed to be how it would end, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm hoping we'll get to see a few battle scenes rather than watching the characters sitting in a tent receiving reports, although they need to do it right.

They're really trying way too hard to shoehorn in the nudity. If they need the filler that desperately they should have put in more sweeping establishing shots and the likes.

mikemac wrote: »
    Not looking for a spoiler

Or will the first book carry over to Season 2?

The season will end exactly how the 1st book does. Would love to hint at it but I won't obv. Just know that it will be amazing and will leave you gripped ala Lost and the light in the hatch!

pixelburp wrote: »

Would love to comment, arrrrrgh!!!!:D

s.welstead wrote: »
    The season will end exactly how the 1st book does. Would love to hint at it but I won't obv. Just know that it will be amazing and will leave you gripped ala Lost and the light in the hatch!

Cool, I've nearly finished the book and at where Episode 8 is now. So I don't know the ending yet!
    So I've made the same progress at both

On another note, that young girl who plays Arya is fantastic, very talented

• Advertisement
Advertisement