Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

s.welstead wrote: »
    Would love to comment, arrrrrgh!!!!:D

Feel free not to; this thread's been junked enough as it is, and I'm already worried some over-sensitive type will deem my own speculation as shamleless spoilerage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would love to comment, arrrrrgh!!!!:D
    Look let's get it over with. I've read the books and let's just say there's another faction. No screenshots of them (obviously) but here's some concept art of what's coming:
    tumblr_kvugngVw5q1qzrlhgo1_500.png
    I think everyone can see this one coming, so it's not really a spoiler! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

pixelburp wrote: »

In fact, 10 euro says that the last scene of series 1 will be a shot across the narrow sea of ships in their hundreds sailing towards Kings Landing.

If you are serious, I'll glady take that bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Orizio wrote: »
    If you are serious, I'll glady take that bet.
    Well just the fact there's only two episodes left, and I'm presuming that those last 2 will chart the Stark v. Lannister throwdown, seems natural the script will tease us with the 2 other threats on the horizon, ending on some big reveal to tease us with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I think ill love this show more the second time round. Im too busy chewing on my nails, waiting for sh1t to kick off on like four different fronts that i cant really enjoy it fully. Its a fantastic show with wonderful intrigue etc but the suspence has been well built at this stage and its about time some heads start rolling starting with the queen. Only a really talented actress mixed with a great script could inspire that much ire in me, its fantastic really :D

As for ep 8, very good episode as always but i cant take it anymore.

Well just the fact there's only two episodes left, and I'm presuming that those last 2 will chart the Stark v. Lannister throwdown, seems natural the script will tease us with the 2 other threats on the horizon, ending on some big reveal to tease us with.

Completely agree with this, can see it a mile away. The majority of the time has been spent on Stark v Lannister and, as you said, will probably follow that through to some sort of conclusion leaving absolutely no time for the other two threats. I would actually augment your theory and say that it will be a mix of hundreds of ships with hundreds of white walkers both bridging their respective gaps to the cue of dramatic music of course.

Annnnd then we have to wait a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Quality episode, I have to get stuck into the book now this week to see what happens next, only up as far as Robert getting mauled by the boar yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was Hordor with no clothes realy neccesary?

It's in the book but it didn't realy add anything.

Reminds me of Spartacus, a lot of unnecessary nakedness used

As said a few posts back, seems to be a filler and there almost seems a quota to be hit every week

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mikemac wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not exactly salacious like Little Finger musing over two lesbians. I don't think anyone looked at that scene and went "Ohh yeah mmm naked Hordor". If they do have a quota to use they used it very tongue-in-cheek this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

dr gonzo wrote: »
    I would actually augment your theory and say that it will be a mix of hundreds of ships with hundreds of white walkers both bridging their respective gaps to the cue of dramatic music of course.

Annnnd then we have to wait a year.

Love reading the speculation. Keep it coming!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Drogo, ya beauty!

Who needs swords eh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Killme00 wrote: »
    I wasnt a fan of the show, but wow i am now

So you slogged through 7 episodes?
    titan18 wrote: »
    Actually,what piece of speculation are you talking about? I just saw your post saying they might be
    vampires
    My thought too. That simple bit of early speculation caused huge accusations of 'ruining thread' and posters claiming to 'never return'. Great fun to read though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ixoy wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not exactly salacious like Little Finger musing over two lesbians. I don't think anyone looked at that scene and went "Ohh yeah mmm naked Hordor". If they do have a quota to use they used it very tongue-in-cheek this time.

The prostitute lady seems to exist only for these scenes.
    The show would move much faster if they did away with all this crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Feel free not to; this thread's been junked enough as it is, and I'm already worried some over-sensitive type will deem my own speculation as shamleless spoilerage.

I've long suspected you of spoilerage by stealth :mad:

[j/k]

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Drogo, ya beauty!

Who needs swords eh.

I keep calling him Karl Drogo, anyone else suffer from this? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Yes, it served a minor narrative purpose. But this is not the correct thread to discuss the relevance, since the relevance of things is often not apparent in the same episode in which it appears. It only took a couple of seconds of screen time, so where is the harm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Someone posted a spoiler pages back about the White Walkers and claimed it was "just speculation"....well after ep. 8 i call BS on that!!!

Blatant spoiler, he should be taken out a flogged 50 times [or at least an infraction, not for the spoiler but for lying about it!]

that wasn't the spoiler part, it the second part, although seems much less likely now, and can we have less throlling about spoiling from somebody who did spoil the thread.

http://****yeahwinterfell.tumblr.com/post/6265453243
    tumblr_lme6ltvoHg1qzvjn8o1_500.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, I thoguht it was strange that Rickon featured in that scene as well. Took me a few seconds to figure out who he was supposed to be, considering he had about 20 seconds of screen time to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, I thoguht it was strange that Rickon featured in that scene as well. Took me a few seconds to figure out who he was supposed to be, considering he had about 20 seconds of screen time to date.

Well considering the rest of the Stark family are either captured, missing, crippled, or about to go into a battle against overwhelming odds (in the North and the South) right now he is in the best position to be head of the family at the end of Ep 10.

As to the nudity it's pointless in Game of Thrones and does take from a show with superb acting and storyline. In contrast Camelot seems to have stopped the nude scenes and now there is nothing left worth watching in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Reminds me of Spartacus, a lot of unnecessary nakedness used

As said a few posts back, seems to be a filler and there almost seems a quota to be hit every week

iddoix.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I keep calling him Karl Drogo, anyone else suffer from this? :o

It would be even funnier if they'd called him Karl Drongo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

3 Questions.

Who is the bird in post 720? Know she was captured but can't remember why, when or by whom

Who is Rickon? A son of Ned?

Who was the bloke that was with Robb when the news of his fathers capture came? Thought he was his brother but when Robb's mother came she said she wanted to talk to her son alone and he left with the others.

Degag wrote: »
    3 Questions.

Who is the bird in post 720? Know she was captured but can't remember why, when or by whom

She was in the group that attacked Bran and Robb in the woods a few episodes ago.

The youngest in the litter.

Who was the bloke that was with Robb when the news of his fathers capture came? Thought he was his brother but when Robb's mother came she said she wanted to talk to her son alone and he left with the others.

Theon Greyjoy, he is Ned Starks ward, and is the last living son of the Greyjoy family I believe, they were on the wrong side in the rebellion or war, and Ned took him in as a ward instead of killing him.

Answers in bold above.

3 Questions.

Not paying much attention???:D

Osha, she was part of an attempt by wildlings to take Brans horse. They gave her mercy and she's now a prisoner of sorts.

Rickon yes, you guessed correct. He's the youngest Stark.

That's Theon. Hmmm I had thought they managed to call him Greyjoy in every episode and also mention that he's a 'ward'. Basically his house started a rebellion a few years back(seperate to the rebellion that gave Robert the throne) and after it was crushed Ned took Theon as a ward to keep his family quiet.

Not paying much attention???:D

Oh no, i am. I thought it was Theon but he looked alot like Robb so thought he might have been his brother - even when thinking about it, he didn't have another brother of that age apart from Jon

Nah, i've started to read the book and with the amount of characters it's hard to keep up. Loving it though:D

Oh no, i am. I thought it was Theon but he looked alot like Robb so thought he might have been his brother - even when thinking about it, he didn't have another brother of that age apart from Jon

Nah, i've started to read the book and with the amount of characters it's hard to keep up. Loving it though:D

I'd like to say it gets easier but as soon as you start to get to grips with who's who then along comes the 2nd book and more houses and history gets thrown at you.

Stick with it though, well worth it.

• Advertisement

This thread will soon beat The Walking Dead in views/posts :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Tenger wrote: »
    So you slogged through 7 episodes?

Strictly as a passenger originally, now as a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

What happened to the dance instructor/sword master, do we presume the kings guard killed him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What happened to the dance instructor/sword master, do we presume the kings guard killed him?

I wouldn't presume anything we don't explicitly see happening on screen.

Th fact that Arya seems to be missing still, I would think that dude has something to do with that.

Des wrote: »

Th fact that Arya seems to be missing still, I would think that dude has something to do with that.

Ah I see, thanks. Hope he won't be killed, I like him :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah I see, thanks. Hope he won't be killed, I like him :pac:

Same as!

I think it's too much to hope for that he still lives!

Des wrote: »

Yeah, hope he's still alive. It was a great scene, if rather unbelievable, when he knocked out all the guards with the wooden sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the swordmaster is dead I'll be very angry, I want to see him in combat with a real sword.
    At least the noise we heard after the scene left the room was of fighting and not just a single slicing noise, but I'm thinking he's most likely giblets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Question I had on the scene with the wight's at The Wall - I didn't seem to notice that the bald dude's eyes were blue and what happened the second wight?

Other than that, pretty solid episode. Most enjoyable bits were Tyrion's whistling in the woods and his attempts to quench his thirst at Tywin's table :D Peter Dinklage has him down to a tee.

How do the Ravens know where to go with their messages? :confused:
    Unless you train the Raven for one destination only. I would think that's how it's done

I'm definitely overthinking it

How do the Ravens know where to go with their messages? :confused:
    Unless you train the Raven for one destination only. I would think that's how it's done

I'm definitely overthinking it

I think that is how its done. Thought the same myself last night.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Question I had on the scene with the wight's at The Wall - I didn't seem to notice that the bald dude's eyes were blue and what happened the second wight?

Other than that, pretty solid episode. Most enjoyable bits were Tyrion's whistling in the woods and his attempts to quench his thirst at Tywin's table :D Peter Dinklage has him down to a tee.

Don't know, maybe he didn't come back to life at the same time as the first guy. Pretty sure he's burned now if he didn't.

Agree with you on Tyrion. One of the best things about the series.

kowloon wrote: »
    If the swordmaster is dead I'll be very angry, I want to see him in combat with a real sword.
    At least the noise we heard after the scene left the room was of fighting and not just a single slicing noise, but I'm thinking he's most likely giblets.

Aye, especially cause all the kings guard were in the scene where the old guy (his name escapes me) is fired. Doesn't look good for our swordmaster :(

Shamelessly robbed off another forum.
    In the real world, the way homing birds work is that if you raise certain types of birds in a place, they will always return to that place. So Maester Luwin would raise 30 ravens and send 3 on a cart to the Wall, 3 to King's Landing, 3 to the Eyrie, etc. Then Maester Aemon would keep the Winterfell ravens in a marked cage and when he needs to send a message to the Starks he would specifically use one of those ravens and not one that homed to, say, Casterly Rock. In the books not much attention is paid to the way the system works, and you sort of get the impression that you can just grab a raven out of the one giant cage and send it wherever you want, but I think it's likely that Westerosi ravens operate similarly to real world homing pigeons and we just haven't been shown the details of how it works

Ah that makes sense, can sleep tonight so :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I like the show so far and its good solid acting.
    I know the books have a lot of detail and the TV series can't include everything - but still - the show still appears to be terribly dragging.
    This is I fear will cause it to lose viewers over time and thus bring about cancellation.
    I hope I'm proved wrong but does anyone else think it just drags too much for its own good as a show?

For the record, I'm sticking with it and have enjoyed each part so far.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What do you mean, 'dragging'? The only thing that might count against it in the long term is the number of different strands there are to the story, including those that haven't even been touched on yet.

Biggins wrote: »
    I hope I'm proved wrong but does anyone else think it just drags too much for its own good as a show?

For the record, I'm sticking with it and have enjoyed each part so far.

I don't think it drags at all to be honest, especially the last few episodes.

I am reading the book at the moment too, and they seem to squeeze a lot of chapters into a single episode, and I think they are doing a great job of pacing it.

That said, I do get where you are coming from though, I expected it to all boil over a few episodes ago, but its only really happening now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

We see the kingsguard he was fighting in the scene later where barresten is fired so im guessing hes gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I thought it was brilliant. :) Equal to the best shows of the series so far which is saying something, definitely 10/10+++.

I now consider Game of Thrones to be in a league of its own as regards tv, now just for Fantasy genre but unmatched by any other show of any time. Don't you ever ever end you beautiful show!!! :)

One thing: When they let go of Ser Barristan Selmy, I almost felt on the side of Joffrey and the Queen Mother, which I doubt is how we're supposed to feel.

I would have imagined Ser Barristan Selmy as more muscular, fitter, like he really could take all of them. It couldn't be that hard to find such an actor. Then I would have imagined Queen Cersei and Joffrey to be quite nonchalent and careless in their dismissing of him, like how Cersei asked for the killing of Lady. And I would have imagined a big hushed wave of shock coming from the crowd as they were going to take Ser Barristan Selmy from his life. It was still done realy well though, I am just nitpicking.

I think the actor playing Tywin Lannister is really coming into his now. He's shown as a fierce, cunning, calculating, disciplined individual who you wouldn't want to cross if at all possible.

Another nitpick: Why wasn't there more sex shown? For example when the Dothraki were raping the women they had plundered, why didn't we see any of that? It's not for prurient wont that I would like it to be shown, it's just for bring us into it more. Like we didn't see any women being raped, it was hard to see what was going on at all. They could have done something like how it was in Cannibal Holocaust, it would hardly be "worse" than what they've already shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Another nitpick: Why wasn't there more sex shown? For example when the Dothraki were raping the women they had plundered, why didn't we see any of that? It's not for prurient wont that I would like it to be shown, it's just for bring us into it more. Like we didn't see any women being raped, it was hard to see what was going on at all. They could have done something like how it was in Cannibal Holocaust, it would hardly be "worse" than what they've already shown.

Im pretty sure the mound of decapitated heads gives a pretty clear message. The point of that scene is to show Denaryas (however you spell that) trying to, in some small way, reconcile her desire to return home with the consequences of now being attached to such an animalistic group. I dont need to see on screen rape to know that when those guys walk into a town its bad news and thats going to be a problem for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 miniPhil

Did someone say the show is dragging? It's not exactly
    L O S T
    If anything it ends too quickly! It may be an hour but I find not long after I've switched it on and am on the edge of my seat than the titles appear. Then my window smashes as my chair flies through it.
    It really is getting expensive replacing these windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Book Chat Snipped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Book Chat Snipped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

iddoix.jpg

Sorry, but I can't take that actress playing the wilding girl seriously.

Advertisement