Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

didn't the guy who got his hand bit play a vet in that show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

QUOTED BOOK CHAT SNIPPED.

I'm sorry but why are ye posting spoilers to the book? Nobody in here wants to know anything about the books so stop posting whether in spoilers or not please!

I mean Geeky, without the spoiler tags at all, you are saying that <someone> has a role in later books, and possibly a big one WHY?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Tenger wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't take that actress playing the wilding girl seriously.

Care to elaborate?

Degag, I was just putting something that had already taken place in the book in the spoilers.

I think the question is more WHY are you posting anything to do with the books in the TV show thread? Really, I don't want to know ANYTHING about the books as I'll probably pick it up once the season has finished.

Sheesh!

Anyway, great episode. Easily the best thing on TV and I look forward to reading the book for the nuances that the TV show has left out (Unless of course someone just wants to reprint the damn book on the thread and save me a few quid)

And if you say you've had enough of this thread and are leaving it, can you mean it this time?

k, thx, bai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dear god, people.... how hard is it to understand NO BOOK DISCUSSION AT ALL IN THIS THREAD!!

I don't care if it relates to the opening line of chapter 1 or a missing monologue - NO BOOK TALK!

Yellow cards for Geeky and SuperInfinity, book chat deleted.
    Next time it'll be something stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Ok, calm down - sorry for mentioning the book at all. I was just doing it to explain a specific character that seemed to confuse someone, didn't know it was uniformly verboten.

No probs geeky.... people on this thread get upset if the B word is even mentioned (as the reported posts in my inbox this morning attest to) :)

There is a separate thread on the Fantasy forum for people who want to discuss book/TV comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Cheers. Back on topic,
    now that he's gone, did
    Syrio make anyone else think a little of Senor Ding Dong?
    I miss him already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mr E wrote: »
    Dear god, people.... how hard is it to understand NO BOOK DISCUSSION AT ALL IN THIS THREAD!!

I don't care if it relates to the opening line of chapter 1 or a missing monologue - NO BOOK TALK!

Yellow cards for Geeky and SuperInfinity, book chat deleted.
    Next time it'll be something stronger.

Dammit!...i always miss the drama :(

Start talking about the books and you'll have a front row seat. :)

• Advertisement

Start talking about the books and you'll have a front row seat. :)

Speaking of the books, i hear there are four of them............. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Partly filmed near Belfast as I understand. Northern Ireland seems to be taking over from Wicklow as a leader for TV and film.

There's been quite a few films done up there recently, that new Natalie Portman one for example.

Bit offtopic, just saw the Irish connection

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Episode 8 was a ratings high for GoT. Good signs anyhow, hopefully get picked up for a third season fairly soon after the start of season 2 then.

5starpool wrote: »
    Episode 8 was a ratings high for GoT. Good signs anyhow, hopefully get picked up for a third season fairly soon after the start of season 2 then.

It's not True Blood ffs! :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So Syrio wasn't seen dying on screen?

He's alive!

jayteecork wrote: »

He's alive!
    If the guard was seen later in the programme, it's unlikely but we live in hope!

I hope he's alive, I realy liked him

But I realy doubt it.
    Some vicious combat to be heard and then we see the knight later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is there anywhere that shows a family tree thing showing the relationship between each character and their lineage?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

In which scene did we see the knight later on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

In which scene did we see the knight later on?

When they relieved Ser Barriston (spelling could be wrong) of duty in the Kings Guard in the Throne Room, near the end of the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

He's alive!

I love how people are more interested in the fate of Syrio, rather than Ned :pac:

Just watched the trailer for next weeks.
    Friggin can't come soon enough, looks great.
    I won't say anymore for fear of being lynched.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What relevance is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

You mean its not awful? I agree.
    mikemac wrote: »
    I hope he's alive, I realy liked him

But I realy doubt it.
    Some vicious combat to be heard and then we see the knight later on

I highly doubt hes out of the picture. Lets sum up. He spent the entire scene and pretty much every scene previous showing just how badass at sword fighting he is, so much so that a wooden training sword was all he needed to defeat a group of knights. Just because a slighty bigger knight squares up to him and we here somebody getting hurt doesnt mean its automatically Syrio because the same knight apparently appears later. On top of all that they must have known he'd be a popular character so it would be strange to kill him off screen in a very ambiguous way.

The other knight may still be alive but i would be incredibly surprised if Syrio doesnt turn up again, even as a turncoat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

dr gonzo wrote: »
    The other knight may still be alive but i would be incredibly surprised if Syrio doesnt turn up again, even as a turncoat.

I like this line of thinking. Maybe he'll be back to flash his mickey at us. More likely to get screen time that way.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    You mean its not awful? I agree.

I highly doubt hes out of the picture. Lets sum up. He spent the entire scene and pretty much every scene previous showing just how badass at sword fighting he is, so much so that a wooden training sword was all he needed to defeat a group of knights. Just because a slighty bigger knight squares up to him and we here somebody getting hurt doesnt mean its automatically Syrio because the same knight apparently appears later. On top of all that they must have known he'd be a popular character so it would be strange to kill him off screen in a very ambiguous way.

If he died in the book then they'd have to kill him regardless of whether he was popular or not. Also, his sword was broken so he had no way of defending himself against the knight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Argh!

All this talk of Syrio and whether he dies or not has me tempted to check google to find out. It's too tempting! Him, Arya & Tyrion have been some of the few characters I genuinely liked in the show, I'd be upset if he really is dead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've a funny feeling that ned wont see the next series, I hope I'm wrong as he's one of my favourite characters in it along with snow and mormont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

landyman wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling that ned wont see the next series, I hope I'm wrong as he's one of my favourite characters in it along with snow and mormont.

He was very much a side story in the last ep which could be a bad sign. Remember The Tudors killed off main characters all the time (Wolsey, More, Cromwell, Anne Boleyn etc) and while they had to because that's what happened in reality by the end we were left with a fairly empty set of characters you didn't care much about. If the books (and I haven't read them) knock off a whole pile of main characters and they follow that then we could end up with a Tudors situation where you really couldn't care less about the characters. We have already lost the King, Viserys, and a host of interesting supporting characters who added colour to the show.

Also if they do kill Ned off I hope we don't end up with another Mother pulling the strings behind the Son story line. Between the Lannisters The Starks and the breast feeding freaks in the Vale the story could get side tracked into a feminist study of the power of mothers very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Degag wrote: »
    If he died in the book then they'd have to kill him regardless of whether he was popular or not. Also, his sword was broken so he had no way of defending himself against the knight.

I think he meant they wouldn't have killed Syrio off screen, because he is popular. That they would have shown him die, instead of us relying on a few sound effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Conchir wrote: »
    I think he meant they wouldn't have killed Syrio off screen, because he is popular. That they would have shown him die, instead of us relying on a few sound effects.

First rule of television (and usually books): until you see a corpse, he's not dead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

First rule of television (and usually books): until you see a corpse, he's not dead.
    And if it's sci-fi, the corpse doesn't mean they're going to stay dead either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Conchir wrote: »

Remember the author wrote this episode. He's left it just as vague as the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

thanks for mentioning the books.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hardly a spoiler, Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From the first post in this thread
    Basq wrote: »
    If you have read the book and wish to talk about how it compares to the book (etc), please use this thread in Sci-Fi & Fantasy.

ixoy wrote: »
    And if it's sci-fi, the corpse doesn't mean they're going to stay dead either!

Yeah, especially after ep. 8, and that book spoiler :rolleyes:

Hardly a spoiler, Des.
    It is really IMO

Degag wrote: »
    It is really IMO

It really isn't. I'm pointing out that the scene was left the same as the book, it wasn't any kind of tv dramatic effect job they tacked on. It happens the same as the book.

I'm not in any way saying that gives credence to the idea that he'll turn up again or not. So how does that make it a spoiler? hmmmm

If you want a spoiler about Syrio then
    read the friggin book

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    It really isn't. I'm pointing out that the scene was left the same as the book, it wasn't any kind of tv dramatic effect job they tacked on. It happens the same as the book.

I'm not in any way saying that gives credence to the idea that he'll turn up again or not. So how does that make it a spoiler? hmmmm

If you want a spoiler about Syrio then
    read the friggin book

Dude....spoiler!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the best thing about this thread is that when people are freaking out about things that aren't spoilers being spoilers, you can't tell them they're not actually spoilers because that'd be a spoiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

the best thing about this thread is that when people are freaking out about things that aren't spoilers being spoilers, you can't tell them they're not actually spoilers because that'd be a spoiler.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYaU7L-j6rp6q33UWGoep0klCNXiBvw1gv_D0mO1L_qxmwV6nj

Very very true. Think people need to just except nobody in here is purposefully trying to ruin or spoil anything.

And besides just coz it happened in the book does not mean it will happen the same. Changes like these are known as the Lafayette effect

To s.welstead (i'm not quoting the post because it will show the spoiler)

The point is, no one on here wants to know a thing about the books. I want to read them myself and discover the differences and similarities between tv series and book myself. That's the same as every other person on here. We are discussing the tv series here, why is that so hard to understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't think Ned is being sidelined for any other reason than giving the subplots a little more air-time to expand, and also, because, we all want to know what happens to him, it keeps us watching- that's called the paycheck effect ;) I've a funny feeling that the one who will save the Starks will be the one they didn't want, the guy who is at the wall. I am intrigued by the white walkers, and I can't wait to see how that will pan out. Being honest, so long as the ratings are high, the writers can do what they like with the plot, I just hope they don't drag the heart out of it like the lost writers did.

screamer wrote: »
    I just hope they don't drag the heart out of it like the lost writers did.

Well the TV show is following the book very closely, and unless the original author started to drag out the original books, I doubt the TV show will do a lost on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

It's gotten to the stage now where a poster can't even mention the word book without other posters verbally mauling them. We should have a word filter and replace 'book' with a much better word like 'fustigate'.

Keep calm.

:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Double post

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Book Chat Snipped.

I thought he had figured out this was the TV thread a few days ago!
    Care to elaborate?
    Don't like how the protrayed her and the fact that I see a Harry Potter wizard before a wildling doesn't help!
    Now saying that I have yet to view Ep.8. I get to see them 4-5 days after they air.
    TV spoilers don't annoy me, I am already familiar with the fustigate, they usually increase my anticipation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement