Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

I still maintain it's an adult version of LOTR....but with less trolls.

Couldn't disagree more.
    Beyond the fantasy setting, they're absolutely nothing alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Show *needs* a budget increase, there be dragons now + we need some epic battles.

We really don't, you can get epic battles in countless films and numerous TV shows.

I'd rather they did what they've done so far in this and what they did in Rome, show the before/after of battles and use the time and budget for the characters, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

I tought the same thing coming in to the shows (I hadn't heard anything about it either, since the show finished I've read all the books....TWICE :D ) but the 2 are hugely different from each other!!

I'm a big fan of LOTR but everything is black and white in terms of who is good (The Fellowship) and who is bad (Sauron)....in ASOIAF universe it's all grey!! There are maybe 3-4 characters throughout the series who are truly evil the rest are bad but have some redeeming qualities that make you feel for them and vice versa with the "heroes" of the story!!

Also add in the constant politicking going on in Westeros (Littlefinger, Varys, Cersei etc.) is like something from The West Wing......very little of this is seen in LOTR!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it's all very well having all your characters scheme against each other & have shades of gray all over the place - and maybe it's just me - but I find that it can make the inevitable betrayals & moral slides of characters less dramatic if everyone else in the show is doing it.

For instance - and I haven't read the books so I don't know if this will happen - Rob Stark (and his house in general) is about the only moral & noble leader / faction left at this stage. But because everybody else is scheming, betraying & screwing each other, I'm already girding myself to see Rob & family get betrayed, or they themselves slide into moral ruin. It seems the going fashion in Westeros, so I just assume it'll eventually happen Rob too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Please stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

:D

"sean bean is a spoiler on two legs" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

We really don't, you can get epic battles in countless films and numerous TV shows.

I'd rather they did what they've done so far in this and what they did in Rome, show the before/after of battles and use the time and budget for the characters, frankly.

Absolutely. One of the greatest pseudo-historical dynastic-intrigue TV adaptations, I Claudius, was entirely studio-based (despite the many wide-screen events of the books), and didn't suffer at all.

As others have pointed out, ASoIaF isn't really about the big battles anyway (at least as far as I've read, which is A Feast for Crows) - apart from
    the Blackwater, the Fist of the First Men and Rayder's attack on the Wall
    , most of the large scraps happen between chapters, or at some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Another few vids here:

Coordinating fights and stunts (see if you can spot
    Brienne!
    )
    Arya Stark's new look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Gauge wrote: »
    Coordinating fights and stunts (see if you can spot
    Brienne!
    )

There's something disturbing about The Hound smiling and giving the thumbs up...

• Advertisement

There's something disturbing about The Hound smiling and giving the thumbs up...

When I look at The Hound I find it hard not to see the character he played in Hot Fuzz :( YAAARP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

All these sneak peaks are teasing me... I can't take it anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

''Good News. A new Game of Thrones Season 2 teaser will air this Sunday on HBO before the Boardwalk Empire season finale.''

From their facebook. Dying for this to come back

''Good News. A new Game of Thrones Season 2 teaser will air this Sunday on HBO before the Boardwalk Empire season finale.''

From their facebook. Dying for this to come back

I shall await it on the youtubes.

I hope it's not as bad as the one on youtube now!:p Just finished A Storm of Swords btw, brilliant book, with an even better ending...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Was hoping for better, guess it is just a teaser though.

April is coming..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Looks good can't wait for this and spartucus in next few months!

+1 ya here...both must see shows for 2012 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

+1 ya here...both must see shows for 2012 :)

Been reading the game of throne novels thanks to an e novel I found . Cant wait till season two kicks off. Any idea how many episodes as a hell of a lot happens in the book.

As an aside, kinda worried bout spartacus as the guy who played him was so dominant onscreen the new spartacus actor migjt not have the same presence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Three sounds of the horn at the end there....:D

• Advertisement

Three sounds of the horn at the end there....:D

Thanks for pointing that out. Missed in completely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Was hoping for better, guess it is just a teaser though.

April is coming..:D

OMG!

OMFG!

I've never been this excited by a tv show. Its like I'm ten years old all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

For some reason, Iain Glen "Ser Jorah Mormont" is at NUIG engineering building..being filmed for something? Just met him there. :D Closest thing I'll get to Game of Thrones while waiing for the next season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

On the moncrief show today they were talking about books for kids and one guest recommended "game of thrones" as a good fantasy type book for preteens. . Pmsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

For some reason, Iain Glen "Ser Jorah Mormont" is at NUIG engineering building..being filmed for something? Just met him there. :D Closest thing I'll get to Game of Thrones while waiing for the next season..

He's shooting Jack Taylor in Galway at the moment; coming to an end soon though.

I know a guy who worked on the second season of Game of Thrones, could not be more jealous....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Somebody seriously dropped the ball on this one, i'd have thought it would have been a cert to be out on dvd/bluray for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

scudzilla wrote: »
    Somebody seriously dropped the ball on this one, i'd have thought it would have been a cert to be out on dvd/bluray for Christmas

Yeah seems a bit stupid but it's HBO's policy. They only release the DVD's a month or so before the new series starts again.
    Would have loved to have had the Blu-ray boxset for xmas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I thought he died. Did they find a replacement?

So some of the GoT fansites around have been getting fairly cool press kits:

Winter is Coming.net got a stark themed one.

And it includes a small video that will be part of a 24 chapter thing on the History of Westeros (narrated by Michelle Fairley/Cat and Isaac Hempstead-Wright/Bran).

I wish I had a Blu Ray player... or the money to buy one! Guess the regular version will have to do.

Not sure if anyone's seen this yet but anyway... (not the best of quality!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

don ramo wrote: »
    i want one

Me too, but imagine how expensive it would be - worth it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jumpy wrote: »
    I thought he died. Did they find a replacement?

He did. They did.

Better quality for the original video I posted if anyone's interested.
    Link

Filming wraps in Belfast, dunno about the other shooting locales:

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey just wondering where Game of thrones has gone on Sky Atlantic? was Sky + recording it but seems to have gone now and can't find it on TV guide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Anyone know when Season 2 of Game of Thrones is starting.

Just saw an ad for it on TV but it didn't say when it was due to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

April 2012 according to the Wiki page here, although it's very much open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye its april,latest trailer released just before Christmas said April 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Just saw on Facebook, April 1st in the US so Id imagine very soon after that on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Thanks guys,

Something to look forward to.

Mad Men in March, Game of Thrones back in April.

Walking Dead back on in February....

Varied taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

This is going to be bloody amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fizzlepurplefuz

Game of Thrones Season 2 premieres in the states April 1st :):)

If it follows the same schedule as last year we should have it on sky atlantic on the 2nd :):) heres hoping :)

Only 79 days to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Any chance they will replay series 1 on SKy before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

Probably, yes. They repeated Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire before Season 2 started.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Big Nelly wrote: »

I would expect so. Sky will like the extra ratings before Season 2 even airs.

However I would expect it to start pretty soon in that case, maybe with Ep 10 the night before the Sky premiere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

After finishing the books recently I'll be interested to see season 2, this is the one book in the series I would say will benefit from TV making it shorter and more compressed. Found it very hard work to read up until the last 1/4 or so.

For me it's a case of hurry up and get season 2 out of the way so we can have season 3 sooner !!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Big Nelly wrote: »
    any chance wed have a damn forum by then,

breaking bad just got one and its heading into its final season (and long overdue i must say, the forum, not the show:D),

c'mon

Currently reading "Blood and Gold" and have to say I really don't think that each TV series will be specifically set to one book. If they did, people who haven't read the books wouldn't have a feckin clue what's going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement