Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Yikes...

Did anyone see the trailer for next weeks show???

Disclaimer for Mods: This poster has read the books but is attempting not to introduce plot spoilers in order to maintain thread quality and fairness.
    I haven't, just wondering how many people will read this spoiler in the hopes of complaining that I spoiled something

WOW!! can't believe you posted that after all the arguments about spoilers in this thread!!
    You ****!
    :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

WOW!! can't believe you posted that after all the arguments about spoilers in this thread!!
    I thought it was obvious that the space giraffes would be appearing soon at Winterfell. Why would you need the spoiler tag for that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think this thread is probably as safe from spoilers as anyone is going to get. I've already come across loads of spoilers online. They are everywhere! Tbh anyone who is REALLY sensitive about possible spoilers is probably better off steering clear of all online discussion of the show, including this thread. There's always going to be a risk, it was the same in the Lost forum. It shouldn't be necessary for everyone to take an oath at the start of every post.

And I'm not sure a separate forum will solve the problem. If anything it would just become a place for fans of the books to hang out which will increase the likelihood of everyone else getting spoiled. The people who haven't read the books are always going to be paranoid that someone is revealing something about future episodes. A separate forum with separate threads is not going to make a whole lot of difference with a show like this.

That's my two cents, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Okay, what's missing from the Sky 9pm Monday showing of this, as compared with the "repeat" 2 or 3 hours later, which is obviously longer? Somewhere at the dawn of this thread, someone was making out that there were no ads in the 9pm version, which is why it runs for 60 minutes, but after I decided to watch the 9pm version, complete with ad-breaks, it can't possibly be the same as the one shown later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ixoy wrote: »
    I thought it was obvious that the dire space giraffes would be appearing soon at Winterfell. Why would you need the spoiler tag for that?

fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Okay, what's missing from the Sky 9pm Monday showing of this, as compared with the "repeat" 2 or 3 hours later, which is obviously longer? Somewhere at the dawn of this thread, someone was making out that there were no ads in the 9pm version, which is why it runs for 60 minutes, but after I decided to watch the 9pm version, complete with ad-breaks, it can't possibly be the same as the one shown later.

I get a time of 54:14 from my download. I wouldn't mind cutting out the 4 minutes or so of the Renly/Loras scene though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Last time i watched it at 9 on Atlantic there was one ad break, a very short one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Yep, I actually think ye're all right.... there's just no getting away from the books. I'm going to read them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I get a time of 54:14 from my download. I wouldn't mind cutting out the 4 minutes or so of the Renly/Loras scene though.

I thought that was a Gillette ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Guys are funny. When women complain about gratuitous t&a they're seen as oversensitive, but when it's gay men on screen for 4 minutes the lads start complaining straight off :pac:

Welcome to my world! Enjoy it :p

"your mother was a dumb wh*re with a fat arse" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

"your mother was a dumb wh*re with a fat arse" :D

Petyr Baelish: “Tell me, does someone somewhere keep your balls in a little box? I’ve often wondered.”

Lord Varys: “Do you know, I have no idea where they are, and we were so close.”

There have been many classics so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Would people recommend reading the books before watching the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

liah wrote: »
    Guys are funny. When women complain about gratuitous t&a they're seen as oversensitive, but when it's gay men on screen for 4 minutes the lads start complaining straight off :pac:

Welcome to my world! Enjoy it :p

Some of the guys would be quite happy so see a lot more of Renly and his rainbow cloaked entourage..... :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Degag wrote: »

It all depends really. What I would recommend now perhaps, is to watch the first series, then read the book to get some of the extra subtlety in the first book that weren't in the tv show, and read the rest of the books after presuming you can't stop yourself :)

I asked a lad I know why he still hadn't read the books after me recommending them loads of times (and he loves the show now) and he actually had assumed that they would have been written in a semi Shakespearean manner with Ye Olde English type writing. I did lol a bit at that and call him an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Show is really starting to get on my nerves :(

I'm loving it but just irks me they spend so long with the starks and yet leave so much unanswered with them at the same time, and then we hear nothing from the other factions / places for a massive amount of time.

Then when we get to them if feels like we have to guess how much time as passed there since we were last with them. When with the starks only days pass.

If i was indeed reading this and not watching it wouldn't bother me as we would have far more detail in-between but on TV I'm just finding it annoying. (or am I missing the point entirely and its as close to the book in this regard, sorry to bring up the books again)

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry this week at the breast feeding scene :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

calex71 wrote: »
    Show is really starting to get on my nerves :(

Then when we get to them if feels like we have to guess how much time as passed there since we were last with them. When with the starks only days pass.

If i was indeed reading this and not watching it wouldn't bother me as we would have far more detail in-between but on TV I'm just finding it annoying. (or am I missing the point entirely and its as close to the book in this regard, sorry to bring up the books again)

I wouldn't worry to much about this. Just sit back and enjoy the show. it will all unfold in its own time.

The TV series is definitely constrained by the time they have, so a lot of backstory is missing. But in my opinion the books (4 so far) themselves leave a lot of gaps in the history of the land/families. And in the books the timeline jumps quite a lot too.

For example the entire background to the rebellion of Robert Baratheon 17 years past is barely touched on in the TV and the books use flashbacks to mention a small number of events. There are major plot devices throughout the series that the reader is aware of but not told of the why behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Degag wrote: »

If you trust yourself not to get carried away I'd suggest reading one book per season to fill in the blanks, the stuff they just couldn't fit into 10 eps , So read Game of thrones while you wait for season 2, Clash of kings while you wait for season 3 etc ,that way you're not spoiling the show for yourself .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Just a warning for the mods, HBO are releasing episode 7 of GoT online after the airing of episode six on sunday so we could have even more spoiler drama in here

--edit

i only realised now about five hours later that today is sunday

Just a warning for the mods, HBO are releasing episode 7 of GoT online after the airing of episode six on sunday so we could have even more spoiler drama in here

YES! :D ....fun times ahead!

Must get my popcorn ready before I log on tomorrow then!!!

I'm staying up to watch ep. 6 - fighting of yawns and sleepytime.....hmmm, i think i'll do some trolling in AH. That always passes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

as much as I hate spoiler tags, say we should spoiler tag ep 7 discussion of people see it before it more regular showing time of next week

^ hell no!....i'm going to blast away with a 1000 word review of episode 7!

• Advertisement

Wow!.....what an end!, bloody awesome this week!

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-1-episode-6/4/

Wow!.....what an end!, bloody awesome this week!
    I haven't seen Ep.6 (Will not see 6 or 7 till next weekend) But I do know we are hitting a part of the story that has lots of drama, enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

appears to have been a problem with hbo servers so ep7 doesnt look like it's out

ep 6 was quite cool though
    <3 tyrion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As soon as I heard "cannot shed blood in their sacred city" I knew it was going to a nasty end :eek:

Dany......ice cold!

I think I've missed something though. Those eggs that the blonde chick has...have they explained what they are to us yet? If they have I think I must've been dreaming!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think I've missed something though. Those eggs that the blonde chick has...have they explained what they are to us yet? If they have I think I must've been dreaming!

They were a gift of dragon eggs from thousands of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

just seen episode 7, PHWOAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

They were a gift of dragon eggs from thousands of years ago

Spoilers man for the love of Christ!!!!! Nah, just kidding. I figured as much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

Spoilers man for the love of Christ!!!!! Nah, just kidding. I figured as much:D

It was explained what they were as soon as they appeared at the Kal Drogo bachelor orgy thing.

Y'all were just too busy watching the bachelor orgy. :eek:

nickcave wrote: »
    just seen episode 7, PHWOAR!

Meh!...pass!, if it's not 720p i ain't watchin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

All kinds of awesome.

Loved Tyrion's 'confession'!!!

^ burst me hole laughing at that part, Sansa...annoying!....she really trying to live the Disney princess fantasy!, Arya rocks!!...great little actress in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Brilliant episode!!

That last scene was the highlight for me!!! That was rough!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Just seen ep 7 there as well.

Blown away!

I will be trying to get as much of the book in as possible now to try to catch up on the show!!

Absolutely loving this series...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Just seen ep 7 there as well.

Blown away!

I will be trying to get as much of the book in as possible now to try to catch up on the show!!

Absolutely loving this series...

Going to be doing the same thing myself. I'm gonna invest in the books this week and get reading. I need to find out what happens next!!:D

Episode 7 is the best of the series so far IMO!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

episode 6 is great, but I couldn't resist and watched episode 7 too. I've read the book, and episode 7 is just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Great episode.

"Robert Baratheon: black of hair... Joffrey Baratheon: golden head...."

Let's see, how many blonde people, one of them being the Queen, do we know that are bumping uglies? :O

Absolutely fućkin awesome episode. Loved it.
    The Imp's confession.
    The "trial" by combat. (who was that fought on behalf of the Imp?)
    The final scene.

I'm blown away.... Gonna wait till next week for No.7 but I'm excited that a couple here have said it's even better.

I LOVE THIS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Absolutely fućkin awesome episode. Loved it.
    The Imp's confession.
    The "trial" by combat. (who was that fought on behalf of the Imp?)
    The final scene.

I'm blown away.... Gonna wait till next week for No.7 but I'm excited that a couple here have said it's even better.

I LOVE THIS!!

Bronn, a 'sellsword' (mercenary) looking for money from Tyrion.

Orizio wrote: »
    Bronn, a 'sellsword' (mercenary) looking for money from Tyrion.

Did he just happen to be there? Was this his first episode? I think I like the character. Hope he's around for a while.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Did he just happen to be there? Was this his first episode? I think I like the character. Hope he's around for a while.

Remember when Tyrion was looking for a room at the Inn he was captured in he threw a coin to someone who was willing to give up their room for him? It was Bronn who caught it and was willing to give up the room. I won't comment on his longevity or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

5starpool wrote: »
    It was Bronn who caught it and was willing to give up the room. I won't comment on his longevity or otherwise.

He was also in the scene where they were attacked on the way to Eyrie, chatting with Tyrion, and again when they arrived at the Eyrie. Their banter in both scenes was brief but funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Episode 6 was fupping brilliant! One episode a week is not enough!!! Cant wait for episode 7! I dunno how Im gonna last the week without giving it a watch!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Just watched both episodes :eek:

Books being bought first thing in the morning.

• Advertisement

Ep. 7 - woah!!!!!!!!.....holy crap!,
    Littlefinger the two faced rat!!

Advertisement