Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiddle me this?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Alright folks
    My mother is buying my sister a new fiddle but theres not many fiddlemakers in Louth.

Rather than going for a local guy just coz hes local is there any fiddle manafacturers in ireland or on the internet that do good quality trad fiddles.

She already has an electric one and doesnt really use the electric part of it so she doesnt need the extra weight.

Obviously price will be a factor and im told that the best sounding ones are fiddles that are broken in but is there any fiddles that once broken in will sound good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I know a fiddlemaker who is from Ravensdale but living in Dublin for the last 60+ years.

Hand made fiddles are going to be expensive. You might get better value secondhand. My buddy bought a cheap fiddle in the Sound Shop Drogheda (about €80) and he had players who had expensive instruments (€1500+) play it and they thought it was a good fiddle and played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

trad wrote: »
    I know a fiddlemaker who is from Ravensdale but living in Dublin for the last 60+ years.

Hand made fiddles are going to be expensive. You might get better value secondhand. My buddy bought a cheap fiddle in the Sound Shop Drogheda (about €80) and he had players who had expensive instruments (€1500+) play it and they thought it was a good fiddle and played well.
    Yeah but to be fair thats a bit of a stab in the dark,she could pick up a cheap one and it might just be that..a cheap fiddle

funnily enough the person she is buying from is in ravensdale too

Advertisement