Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htc desire HD and Itouch bluetooth

Options
  • 17-04-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hope Ive posted this in the correct forum, apologies mods if not.

Can anyone explain why I cannot get my htc desire HD phone to connect to my itouch via bluetooth? What do I need to do? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You mean iPod?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

You can't. Or at least, you can't via Bluetooth. Actually, I don't think the iPod touch even has Bluetooth...

However, what you can do is make your phone behave as a WiFi base station, and then connect the iPod Touch to it that way.

How much hassle this is really depends on what version of Android you have on your phone, and who your operator is (some actually disable this, but I don't know about the Irish operators), but it is at least possible.

I don't have an Android phone, so I can't help you with the details: ask on the Android forum here, or do a web search for "android wifi tethering".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

as an aside the iPod touch 4g has bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

What do you want to 'connect' it for? To send files? If that's it then you'll need a jailbroken iPod and get 'Celeste' in Cydia and then you can transfer files. Apple are cnuts who lock down their OS so that you have to do everything through iTunes and you can't send files via Bluetooth, unless you're jailbroken ofcourse. ;)

If its to tether the Desire HD to the iPod just scroll down the bottom of your apps on the DHD and open 'Wireless Hotspot'. Then configure it how you want it and connect to the 'WiFi Network' (your phones data) on your iPod. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

You mean iPod?
    Yes sorry. My ipod touch has Bluetooth. its the 4th generation model. I want to transfer files. Only heard of jailbreak today through a friend. What I want to do with the Bluetooth function on both devices is, i have an ipod setup in my car where I have the ipod playing through my car speakers. When I get an incoming call I want my HTC desire phone to connect to my itouch and put the call through the speaker system of the car. That was my plan.

• Advertisement

I dont think thats possible. Never heard of it anyway. I suppose your in car handsfree doesnt support multiple handset connections to be able to have them connected at the same time and pause one or the other when their doing something?

I dont think thats possible. Never heard of it anyway. I suppose your in car handsfree doesnt support multiple handset connections to be able to have them connected at the same time and pause one or the other when their doing something?

All it is really is a wire with an ipod connection running out the back of the car radio. This connection allows the ipod to integrate with the car radio system. If I could get the htc desire to connect via bluetooth to the ipod, It may work or it may not?

I was able to get my old sony phone to connect to my sat nav via bluetooth and I was able to send the calls through the speaker system of the sat nav device, so that was why I was thinking along these lines. Any other suggestions?

Its different for sat nav :) i can do the same :) but it doesnt work that way.

I though u were connecting to the car stereo from ipod to stereo via bluetooth.

I really dont think you can do that.

Why dont you get a good handsfree kit that integrates with the car audio system?

My set up in the car allows music streaming via bluetooth. So the phone connects to the handsfree. And the handsfree plays it into the stock Ford headunit through Nokia CK-7W handsfree kit.

I get to play music through. But it also pauses when a call comes in and can have handsfree and unpauses after the call. It might cost a bit to instal it but sure would get rid of having to bother of having to carry around the ipod and the phone. I dont see the point in ipods anymore cause i get to do everything on my smartphone anyway.

Just the easiest and wire free way to go about it.

I'm sorry i ever got an ipod touch now in the first place. I have all the same functions and better on my smartphone what a waste.

Why dont you get a good handsfree kit that integrates with the car audio system?

I spent 90euro on this ipod integration system to allow it to work with my car radio. Initiallly I had bought this to allow it to work with my 2nd Gen. Ipod classic but after a month of having the system installed in my car, the ipod gave up. Then I bought the Ipod touch. Bit of a waste. I cant afford to be installing another system at this stage. I suppose I wouldnt have that problem of connectivity if i had bought an iphone but I didnt like them.

• Advertisement

Well if Apple just managed to stick with normal USB connections like everyone it wouldnt be a problem.

Thats why i just dont bother with MP3 players and iPods cause its just waste of space. Just do everything on the phone and have a car charger in place :)

Easiest solution - why don't you sell both the DHD and iPod and get an iPhone? As the meercats like to say... SIMPLES!

I think he said he doesnt like that. And the whole you have to do it in Apple way got him tied down spending more than he should have been in the first place ;) Solution. Sell the iPod touch and get a decent system to integrate a bluetooth kit into your car stereo and you can stream music from your Desire HD to the stereo directly. No wires no hasle

Just to confirm one thing. Can the ipod touch connect to the iPhone via Bluetooth? Have I the option of transmitting the call from the iPhone to my ipod touch? This should be possible and if it is, wouldn't a jailbroken ipod touch do the same with my HTC HD desire?

No. No phone can transmit cellular signals over bluetooth AFAIK. I said get an iPhone as it's like the exact same as an iPod but with higher specs and cell radios obviously. :)

LukeS_ wrote: »
    No. No phone can transmit cellular signals over bluetooth AFAIK. . :)

Are you sure? And the only reason i ask is that I had a sony errisson phone before that could transmit onto a lidl bluetooth car radio. Basically all I had to do was to activiate the bluetooth on my phone and car radio and once I entered the password both devices connected up instantously. Then when I received the call, It went through my car radio and not my phone.

Yeah but that went straight from the phone into the radio.

Now imagine phone to ipod, ipod to car, car to ipod, ipod to phone. Thats alot of traffic. I dont think BT 2.1 could handle that much traffic in two directions.

Advertisement