Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance to date of our new TD`s

• 17-04-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Source: kildarestreet.com

Paudie Coffey Numerology
    (More about this)
    • Has spoken in 2 debates in the last year — below average among TDs.
    • Has received answers to 7 written questions in the last year — below average among TDs.
    • This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    • Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2 times in debates — below average among TDs. (Why is this here?)
    Ciara Conway Numerology
    (More about this)
    • Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — well below average among TDs.
    • Has received answers to 3 written questions in the last year — below average among TDs.
    • This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    • Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 0 times in debates — well below average among TDs. (Why is this here?)
    John Halligan Numerology
    (More about this)
    • Has spoken in 7 debates in the last year — below average among TDs.
    • Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average among TDs.
    • This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    • Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 6 times in debates — below average among TDs. (Why is this here
    The common theme seems to be below average or well below average..... Anybody else disappointed?......:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Good post and an excellent idea. This kind of activity tracking of TDs should be given to every household as standard.

I know it's only raw data and many will highlight the other activities a TD carries out, but the Dail is where these people work.

Can we have John Deasy too? And sticky this with regular updates? Just askin'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Far be it for me to be defending politicians but I'm just wondering if these figures can be taken at face value. I mean these 3 TD's have only been in the Dail about 2 months, so I'm wondering if the "Below average" comments are in comparison with TD's who have been re-elected and thus have been in the Dail for the last year as opposed to 2 months? I mean if you look at John Deasy's stats you'll see his are all average so I'm guessing that's because he was a TD last time.

On a side note, I have been impressed by Ciara Conway in particular - she managed to get on National TV at least 3 times by my count in the first few weeks of the new Dail.

On the other hand 3 of these TD's are in parties in government and I've been very disappointed at their silence on the University issue. Fair play to John Halligan for asking that question a week or two ago but as an independent he can't really do much. I'd like to see the 4 of them trying to work together on this issue for the good of the region....but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I assumed that these stats take the length of the current Dail into account - it would be indeed unfair to new TDs otherwise.

Tbh, I'm not interested in how much media exposure a TD gets for themselves - this is a good OP because it speaks to the actual work the TDs are doing while the Dail is sitting. I'd rather they spoke up more in there, rather then on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Any other job in the world you would want to be getting better dam good at after 2 months or you would be facing the boot ,
    So please stop using this as an excuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Why are we so surprised?

Useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The number of times a TD has talked this year takes into consideration all debates since January 2011, so therefore it also includes debates fro the previous Dail too. The website does point out that it's difficult to evaluate a TD's performance based solely on their speeches and other information available on that website. It's a very valuable resource to be able to check what kind of contribution they are making though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Far be it for me to be defending politicians but I'm just wondering if these figures can be taken at face value. I mean these 3 TD's have only been in the Dail about 2 months, so I'm wondering if the "Below average" comments are in comparison with TD's who have been re-elected and thus have been in the Dail for the last year as opposed to 2 months? I mean if you look at John Deasy's stats you'll see his are all average so I'm guessing that's because he was a TD last time.

On a side note, I have been impressed by Ciara Conway in particular - she managed to get on National TV at least 3 times by my count in the first few weeks of the new Dail.

On the other hand 3 of these TD's are in parties in government and I've been very disappointed at their silence on the University issue. Fair play to John Halligan for asking that question a week or two ago but as an independent he can't really do much. I'd like to see the 4 of them trying to work together on this issue for the good of the region....but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You must be easily impressed!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Far be it for me to be defending politicians but I'm just wondering if these figures can be taken at face value. I mean these 3 TD's have only been in the Dail about 2 months, so I'm wondering if the "Below average" comments are in comparison with TD's who have been re-elected and thus have been in the Dail for the last year as opposed to 2 months?
    No to your answer. Look how many times Mick wallace has spoken and its his first time in.
    Mick Wallace TD
    299.jpg
    • Has spoken in 15 debates in the last year — average among TDs.
    • Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average among TDs.
    • People have made 0 comments on this TD's speeches — average among TDs.
    • This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 14–15 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    • 25 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever Mick Wallace speaks.
    • Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 9 times in debates — average among TDs. (Why is this here?)

You must be easily impressed!!!

How many times do you recall Deasy getting on national TV: Six one news or The Frontline etc... in the lifetime of the last Dail?

All I'm saying is she seems to be getting out and about, not happy to hide in the background and collect her paycheck like a lot of the rest of our elected representatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

How many times do you recall Deasy getting on national TV: Six one news or The Frontline etc... in the lifetime of the last Dail?

All I'm saying is she seems to be getting out and about, not happy to hide in the background and collect her paycheck like a lot of the rest of our elected representatives.

There is a clear difference between getting noticed and being competent!

• Advertisement

Yes Boss wrote: »
    There is a clear difference between getting noticed and being competent!

So are you saying Deasy is competent or Conway isn't? Either way give me an example. Deasy is hardly the definition of competency. Most people only know him for smoking illegally in the Dail bar and repeatedly trying to oust and undermine Enda Kenny (That worked out well for him didn't it). As for Conway she's a first time TD only in the job 2 months all I'm saying is give her a bit of time, she was happy to go on the Six One news and The Frontline and face the people and she seems to be doing an OK job so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

So are you saying Deasy is competent or Conway isn't? Either way give me an example. Deasy is hardly the definition of competency. Most people only know him for smoking illegally in the Dail bar and repeatedly trying to oust and undermine Enda Kenny (That worked out well for him didn't it). As for Conway she's a first time TD only in the job 2 months all I'm saying is give her a bit of time, she was happy to go on the Six One news and The Frontline and face the people and she seems to be doing an OK job so far.

If you feel the performance on Frontline was acceptable, then your expectations must have been on the floor! And for the record - I don't believe that any of them are capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Yes Boss wrote: »
    If you feel the performance on Frontline was acceptable, then your expectations must have been on the floor! And for the record - I don't believe that any of them are capable.

Agree totally Ciara Conway's performance on the Frontline was pathetic . She was an embarrassment especially in her attempts not to be seen as a "parish pump" politician . She actually came across as not giving a tuppeny ****e about us here in Waterford , a definite 2 fingers to those who put her in her fatcat job ( no vote from me I might add ) .
    I'd say Seamus Ryan was livid watching it , not a big fan of his by any means but at least he would be more experienced . Gilmour's decision to run the two of 'em in this constituency backfired on Ryan and I think Conway has proved to be the poorer of the two .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Disappointed with Ciara from a Political Society point of view. She wouldn't attend our "Great Debate" which others would (neither Labour candidate would attend) but after that I emailed her numerous times to get her to speak down in WIT about Women in Politics and I never got any response despite follow up emails.

On the other hand, David Norris who has been down to Waterford numerous times was very interested but the dates didn't work out. Halligan, well eventually through Adam :p

Also emailed Roscommons Ming, no response.

They would have been paid and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Justin Collery

Sully wrote: »

They would have been paid and all.

What was that? :eek:;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What was that? :eek:;)

When your elected Justin. ;)

Nearly a month later, and all I seem to hear is Halligan speaking. Checking that site, so it is. Followed by Paudie Coffey and Ciara Conway with John, eh, last at the moment. I assume its a bit of pass the mic around so the larger parties makes it harder to get a shoe in for speaking.

Paudie Coffey
    Has spoken in 4 debates in the last year — below average among TDs.
    Has received answers to 12 written questions in the last year — below average among TDs.
    People have made 0 comments on this TD's speeches — average among TDs.
    This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    12 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever Paudie Coffey speaks.
    Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 3 times in debates — below average among TDs. (Why is this here?)

John Halligan
    Has spoken in 9 debates in the last year — below average among TDs.
    Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average among TDs.
    This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    18 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever John Halligan speaks.
    Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 6 times in debates — below average among TDs. (Why is this here?)

John Deasy (ill only publish since the new Dail formation)
    Hasn't spoken in any debates yet, but spoke 10 times last year.
    Received answers to 20 written questions, but the overall total is 239 answers in the last year.
    This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 15–16 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    14 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever John Deasy speaks.
    Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 64 times in debates — average among TDs. (Why is this here?)

Ciara Conway
    Has spoken in 2 debates in the last year — well below average among TDs.
    Has received answers to 7 written questions in the last year — below average among TDs.
    This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
    13 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever Ciara Conway speaks.
    Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1 time in debates — well below average among TDs. (Why is this here?)

Quality, not quantity. Wonder if any of them ever heard of this place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delft_Technical_University

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Letter to the Editor in this week's News & Star. He makes a good point in the last 2 paragraphs about the three Waterford FG & Labour TDs not present for John Halligan's question about university status for WIT.
    TDs missing from Dail university debate

AS a graduate of WIT I am very grateful a 3rd level education was available in Waterford back in the 80s when I finished school. It was a time of recession then too.

The WIT or RTC as it was then had a huge positive impact on our family. My brothers and sisters are graduates too. Indeed the College has made a huge difference to the lives of a multitude of families in Waterford and the South East.

During the last election campaign WIT’s university status was one of the top issues highlighted by local party candidates now in government. We had to listen to a lot of promises and pontificating. This is unsurprising given the critical mass that exists i.e. 267,000 people within 45 minutes of Waterford. Galway has a comparable catchment area of 175,000 but our regional percentage of third level graduates (none of whom have a senate vote) is much lower than the national average. It poses no problem for me that Galway has a university. On the contrary it is to their credit.

The Hunt and Port reports agree to the same objective of a university establishment in Waterford which would address this situation. Deloitte consultants concluded that the case for re-designation of WIT to the University of the South East was overwhelming. Deputy John Halligan raised the issue in the Dail lately with Minister of Education Ruairi Quinn. The content of the Minister’s reply was disappointing in WIT’s university quest.

It was, however, on a par with Minister Quinn’s colleague Niamh Bhreathnach’s approach towards Waterford when she was Minister for Education. There was no change of tack here regardless of passage of time or promises.

As disappointing as the reply was, nearly more disappointing was the non-attendance for the priority question in the Dail chamber of the other three Waterford TDs. They had all highlighted university status as a crucial issue for Waterford in the election. Here was their opportunity in the Dail to show how much they cared.

They weren’t present. Where were they? What kind of support for a University status is this? They all had plenty of notice. TDs were present from other South Eastern constituencies but other than Deputy Halligan no Waterford TD was present.
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheysncwey/

Was there a reply to that?

• Advertisement

Was there a reply to that?
    Not sure, I think that letter is from this week's or last week's News & Star, probably last week's actually coz they are usually a week behind putting their articles on their website, so there might be a reply to the letter in this week's issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I know for sure a fine gael representative was present that day but was not in the chamber.

I think FG have already lost one of their seats. That is to say that the Present government continue as they have.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I know for sure a fine gael representative was present that day but was not in the chamber.

I think FG have already lost one of their seats. That is to say that the Present government continue as they have.

Who to both questions? Should be no issue answering it.

Current government continuing as they are -- I think the satisfaction levels are okay, and will be strong enough. I know you would have a different take on things, but most others should be happy with progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MoodRacer

Who to both questions? Should be no issue answering it.

Current government continuing as they are -- I think the satisfaction levels are okay, and will be strong enough. I know you would have a different take on things, but most others should be happy with progress.

Sorry Sully, I dont agree. From what I can see, FG have implemented very little of their pre election 100 day / 5 point plan promisies. They seem to be meandering along with the same failed policies of the previous administration.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pressreleases.asp?artId=5E5A57

5-Point Plan - 100 Day Strategy
    1: JOBS AND GROWTH
    Job Creation Bill
    Pass legislation to cut the 13.5% rate of VAT to 12%; halve the lower 8.5% rate of PRSI; exempt from VAT service companies that export more than 90% of their output; abolish the Travel Tax; and create 5,000 National Graduate Internship Places
    Economic Stimulus
    Pass a bill to establish NewERA (New Economic Recovery Authority) - to oversee ?7 bn of extra investment in key infrastructure - and transfer National Pension Reserve Fund (NPRF) assets to NewERA
    Credit for Small Business
    Introduce legislation to create a Partial Loan Guarantee Scheme
    Cutting Red Tape
    Require every regulation-setting body to publish a plan to reduce the cost of their red tape by 25% by 2012

Supporting Business Start-Ups
    Construct a E100m Microfinance Start-Up and with funding from the NPRF and private funds

2: BUDGET AND BANKS
    Waste Audit
    A Comprehensive Spending Review will be implemented
    Holding Bankers to Account
    Replace all non-Executive Directors who were, before 29 September 2008, on the board of banks now in receipt of State support
    Protecting Bank Customers

State-supported mortgage providers will be required to publish a plan to cut their costs by the equivalent of a 25 basis point increase on variable rate mortgages

Transparency in Banking

Publish the Nyberg report into the banks and commission a full examination of the events leading up to the bank guarantee of 29 September. This report will be published once completed
    An Independent Fiscal Advisory Council
    To advise the Oireachtas on borrowing levels, debt reduction and taxation planning

3: PUBLIC SECTOR REFORM
    Reducing pay for Ministers and senior Public Servants
    Reduce the pay of the Taoiseach, Government Ministers and the 650 most senior public servants (as recommended by the Review Body on Higher Remuneration)

Car Pooling for Ministers
    Replace automatic entitlement of Ministers to a State car with a car pooling system

Abolishing at least 20 State Bodies
    Since 1997 over 200 new Government agencies have been established

Clear Targets for Ministers and Civil Servants
    Ministers and Secretary Generals to sign public service agreements setting out specific targets in relation to Fine Gael's 5 Point Plan and Manifesto

Transparency in Public Appointments
    Enact bill to ensure CEOs appointed to state boards are approved by the Oireachtas

4: POLITICAL REFORM

Abolition of the Seanad
    Publish draft legislation

A Smaller Dáil
    Pass legislation to reduce the number of TDs by 20 at the next general election

Open Government
    Introduce legislation to strengthen Freedom of Information, establish a Whistleblowers' Charter, register all Lobbyists, create a new Electoral Commission and ban Corporate Donations

Establish a Citizens Assembly on Electoral Reform
    To make recommendations on electoral reform generally and increasing the number of female politicians in particular

Extend Dáil Sitting Times and Vouch all Expenses
    Politicians must lead by example

5: HEALTH REFORM
    Reducing Waiting Lists
    Establish a Special Delivery Unit based on the successful Northern Ireland model to implement a new waiting list strategy

Change at the Top
    Change the membership of the Board of the HSE

Protecting Our Young People
    Immediately put in place plans for a cervical cancer vaccination catch-up programme for all girls in secondary school to begin in September 2011
    Avoiding a Winter Crisis
    Publish a detailed strategy to ensure that our hospitals can cope with increased demand next winter

The Stakeholders

Initiate discussion with stakeholders on reform programme, particularly with GPs and Consultants on new contracts

I don`t accept for one minute the suggestion that they `didn`t know how bad things were`. They, along with other opposition parties at the time, were briefed on several occasions by the DoF before the GE.

Just plain old electioneering and power hungry false promises. Sound fframiliar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Gardner

very impressed with John Halligan to date.

he is covering local issues very well and is contributing very well to national and international issues and debates.

My biggest gripe is with Ciara Conway, I said it before the election and I’m still saying it now, she is a complete and utter Walter Mitty. I had a go at her on her facebook page regarding the University status. Her answers were nothing short of poor and uninformative.

While I’m at it, I also had a go at Paudie Coffey on his page. Basically Paudie wasn’t so clever when he admitted there would be serious cuts to the welfare, jobseekers and disability in the next budget. All these cuts as I pointed out to him where opposed by Fine Gael when they were in opposition. This quote summed up everything “our country is bankrupt - fact, we are in examinership... - fact, we need to build international alliances to assist us out of this ness” Paudie Coffey TD IMF FG

Waterford 2 of 3 new TD’s are a big let down!

Of course they knew how bad it was but to be fair, they were never going to be given much room to move by the EU/IMF. There still being rated very high in the polls and I think that's down to them actually doing something and working somewhat hard at least, even if its not to everyone's liking.

I'm disappointed locally, but im more blaming that on the party system.

One of my gripes about politicians in general is the lack of leadership / vision shown. This is not an Irish phenomenon, it happens at all levels. One example might be that a likely result of the financial crisis is a more closely integrated EU, yet EU leaders seem unwilling or unable to put forward the arguments and prepare the ground.

If you accept that the country is broke Paudie is providing leadership (if you don't thats another matter). If it is true that benefits will have to be cut (leave aside arguments about why) a responsible politician will flag this well in advance to allow people to make decisions based on that fact.

For me, politics is more about what you get done rather than what you say. The day I wake up and I am stunned by what the government is doing will be the day I feel we are starting to address our problems (I was a little stunned by the pensions move, but not in the good way!).

Our local politicians are not ministers, and government heavy which ties their hands somewhat, but I would like to see more ideas rather than nice speeches coming from them. Why are we not doing this, would it not be better if we did that. If we did this, that and the other, we wouldn't have to cut so more in this area. I don't think there is enough of that.

JC

Front page of this week's Waterford Today, John Halligan has donated €40k of his 'leader allowance' and a portion of his salary to 15 charities, and will do so every year he is in office. Fair play to him.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=b9a151ef-720a-437e-a92d-eaca4227b150

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Front page of this week's Waterford Today, John Halligan has donated €40k of his 'leader allowance' and a portion of his salary to 15 charities, and will do so every year he is in office. Fair play to him.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=b9a151ef-720a-437e-a92d-eaca4227b150

Can't argue with that.. fair dues.

• Advertisement

Fair play. Top marks.

Advertisement