Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss Roll

Options
  • 17-04-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Made a lovely one today but cracked when I swiss rolled it, any tips? Plus was far from soft and spongy...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Overcooked? Would explain both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

+1 for the overcooked. It's happened to me before too, the trick with swiss rolls is to take them out just before you are certain they are done...a little on the slightly underbaked side, and parchment paper all the way for easy rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Make sure it's not overcooked and it has to be rolled coming right out of the oven, don't let it cool down at all. The longer you wait the bigger the risk of breaking the biscuit.
    You can also try a dishcloth instead of the parchment paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't let it cool fully, otherwise the sugar in it will cause the top to harden and become more likely to crack.

Take the Swiss Roll out when it's lighly golden i.e. just cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

you need to sprinkle the parchment paper with caster sugar. stops the cracks. and place a wet/damp tea towel over it while it cools on the sugared parchment. seals in the moisture cools it quicker. then roll up

• Advertisement
Advertisement