Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU or NUIM??

• 18-04-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hoping to do psychology(Bsc) next year and im not sure whether to put down DCU or NUIM 1st. Ive been to both open days and i have to say i found NUIM to be the best, just for general feel of the place i suppose. The only thing drawing me to DCU at this stage is this INTRA work placement in 3rd year. I think that would be a massive boost and would be great on the CV when applying to do my clinical degree.

So basically wondering if anyone has any advice, or is it worth picking my 2nd choice just because of 1 semester of work placement

Thanks in advance :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Go with the University where you feel happiest!

There's no point going to DCU if you don't like it, it'd just wreck your college experience for you. Having work experience would be a bonus, but so what? You could do some voluntary work experience during the summers of your degree if you wanted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Thanks for the advice, but I am more confused than ever.. I would probably be happy in either place but im not sure what to put down 1st.. Are there many people heading to DCU or NUIM?? Im aso afraid DCU will be a bit dead at the weekends, especially as Il be living on campus... anyone in the same situation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 He looks like that fella Harvey Keitel

The DCU degree isn't recognised by the Psychologists Association of Ireland yet so I'd say Maynooth.

Just out of interest(blame your username), why aren't you trying for NUIG?

The degree can't be certified until the first batch of graduates are finished... But the course has been developed around PSI criteria.. (as said by the lecturer on DCU open day) she better be right, haha

Im not going to galway because:
    1) I want to do it through science and maynooth and dcu are the only places with Bsc Psychology
    2) I want to move out and get some independence basically

Im kinda leaning towards NUIM, its only that INTRA placement thats attracting me, plus Im not sure how NUIM is recognised internationally

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Basically,
    I don't wany my Ma there when I fall in the door at half three with somebody.So im going to find any difference in the course I can, to make going away seem the better option . :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 He looks like that fella Harvey Keitel

The degree can't be certified until the first batch of graduates are finished... But the course has been developed around PSI criteria.. (as said by the lecturer on DCU open day) she better be right, haha

Im not going to galway because:
    1) I want to do it through science and maynooth and dcu are the only places with Bsc Psychology

Im kinda leaning towards NUIM, its only that INTRA placement thats attracting me, plus Im not sure how NUIM is recognised internationally

I might be wrong but I thought UL had the Bsc degree too? That might be handier for you with transport

Anyway it's good for me that you're not going for Galway because there's only 15 places there and I want one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Hoping to do psychology(Bsc) next year and im not sure whether to put down DCU or NUIM 1st. Ive been to both open days and i have to say i found NUIM to be the best, just for general feel of the place i suppose. The only thing drawing me to DCU at this stage is this INTRA work placement in 3rd year. I think that would be a massive boost and would be great on the CV when applying to do my clinical degree.

So basically wondering if anyone has any advice, or is it worth picking my 2nd choice just because of 1 semester of work placement

Thanks in advance :confused:

A little word of warning regarding INTRA not everyone is guaranteed a INTRA placement. I'm not sure what the INTRA is like for psychology but I did science and not everyone in my course got a place and were stuck doing a project on campus.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    A little word of warning regarding INTRA not everyone is guaranteed a INTRA placement. I'm not sure what the INTRA is like for psychology but I did science and not everyone in my course got a place and were stuck doing a project on campus.

Ya, i read this on another tread which is something I hadnt thought about. And if they were hard to find for science (general enough) then finding a psychology placement seems unlikely.

Its looking like Maynooth so. Just on a non-academic point, what is Maynooth really like?? Is there a varied crowd or is there a lot of 'unusual people', haha (dont mean that in a bad way, im jus weirdly conservative)
    Anyone with a great reason for me to go to maynooth???:D

Advertisement