Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No justice in this country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Your issue with the judges, not the gardai. The gardai charged you and the scumbag.

It's the judge who charged you 1k and the scumbag 500 euro. The gardai brought both you to court, what have they done wrong here?

And tbh, I used to live by Croke Park and if you have people pissing in your garden behind your wall every matchday, well you wouldn't be laughing about the devils own drink. The people I confronted would slur an apology too and walk away. Maybe they were honest working men too...

You should have been fined 2k and the scumbag should have served time

look, one solitary piss down a dark deserted alley behind a skip full of rubbish and a potential 80,000 people pissing in your back garden is hardly comparable.

there is always one that - no matter what the subject - if you admit to any wrongdoing focus on that and not the overall point; that being that garda time is focused wrongly and the legal system favours the professional scum. end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

amybabes wrote: »
    So just needed to rant as I am so angry!
    My baby brother (18) was assaulted in our home town over the weekend by a complete scum of the earth ratbag (20), he walked up to him just outside a GARDA STATION and headbutted him into the face, driving some of his front teeth up into the roof of his mouth, breaking some of his teeth, splitting his lip open.
    Apparently he was drinking in the park with a gang of his scumbag friends, and was drunk and off his head on something. My brother had to be rushed a considerable distance to cork hospital for emergency dental surgery and treatement. Has been told it will take more surgery, root canal treatement to get his teeth anyway right.

My brother didn't even know the guy who attacked him, he was acting the big man in front of his scummer friends and assaulted him for no reason. My brother was brought straight into the garda station by his friends where they called an ambulance. I have to say, my brother is an absolute softie, a real harmless guy - I have other brothers to compare him to! It made my blood boil. He's a Leaving Cert Student so he's studying like mad, doesnt venture out a lot.

Well the Gardai have said that even if it gets to court - we could probably expect the guy to get a "slap on the wrists" and a E150 fine!! And to get it to court, my brother's friends would need to give witness statements. When the most likely court outcome is the above, it is hardly worth his friends giving statements against this guy when he will probably terrorise them for it leading up to court and afterwards. They are all afraid.
    The cost of the dental treatment (which we have been told to expect to be thousands) isnt even the worst part, my poor brother was choking on his own blood and had to endure a 2 hour journey to hospital, is now in considerable pain and is afraid to go outside the door.

Makes me sick that this scum of the earth will probably get away with it as he seems to be above the law. I might add this isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he seems to have a record.

There is no justice

Stories like these make my blood boil and vigilante thoughts rush through my head, because most times justice is not done.

Wishing your brother a speedy recovery, and wishing that toerag nothing but misery.

As for courts; see it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Proof of Gardai double standards for years is in Dublin city centre where junkies get the run of the place while law abiding citizens are a priority for arrest if they step out of line the slightest. Moral of the story is the harder and scummier you are the less likely you will be arrested and jailed(blame the court system for that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Another wider issue is the law relating to minors in this country. There is next to no legislation relating to crimes comitted by under 18's.

I strongly suspect the guy who perpertrated this assault on the OP's brother didn't start that night. In fact, I'd wager he has a long list of misdemeanours, dating back to when he was a teenager.
    If Gardai had the power to impose heavier penalties on minors, they may be less inclined to turn to crime as adults.

Fine the parents for the first offence, heavier fines for the second offence and then a custodial sentence in a juvenile unit for the third and subsequent offence/s.

As it is, there is little or no penalties for crimes committed by minors in this country. Perhaps trying to stem the problem earlier, might go someway to this notion that, as an adult, the crime is more beneficial to the perpetrator, than the consequences it incurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

there is always one that - no matter what the subject - if you admit to any wrongdoing focus on that and not the overall point; that being that garda time is focused wrongly and the legal system favours the professional scum. end of story.

Miss the first and second line of my post?
    i supposed i didn't get into backrground either. i

Well that wasn't there when I replied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Horrible story OP. Wish your brother the very best.

Scumbag cúnt deserves harsh punishment for that. It is disgusting to think he wanders around with very little to expect as a result of his revolting behaviour.

:mad:

Amy, the reason I say see it through is because this guy may do this again, and at least you and your family can say that YOU did report it and did try to make it an issue. You will never have to feel guilty should you not report it and this scummer hurts more innocent people.

Horrible story OP. Wish your brother the very best.

Scumbag cúnt deserves harsh punishment for that. It is disgusting to think he wanders around with very little to expect as a result of his revolting behaviour.

:mad:

I believe his likes eventually picks the wrong guy and ends up getting a few slaps, hoepfully heavy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

walshb wrote: »
    Amy, the reason I say see it through is because this guy may do this again, and at least you and your family can say that YOU did report it and did try to make it an issue. You will never have to feel guilty should you not report it and this scummer hurts more innocent people.

This guy knows the consequences of his actions well, in advance. He knows he will get off with a light reprimand. Most of the scummers in these types of situation know they can avoid a serious result from his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I agree OP. Read a couple of stories in the paper when I was flicking through on a flight recently, two seperate stories in which people were getting charged with some sort of crime, assault or burgulary or something, both of which had over 150 previous convictions.

The judiciary in this country is a fúcking joke. That this isn't an issue that gets discussed is scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Thanks for all the support guys it means a lot I'm going to email my bro a link to this thread to show him that the reaction of most to this story was disgust.

I really hoped someone might have come forward and had a good story to tell about a similar situation where the person in the wrong got the punishment they deserved but nobody has. It's all been similar sorry tales.

Im pushing him to try and get even one of his friends to give a witness statement but I don't reckon it will happen :( and I can't blame any of the younglads tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Don't know much about this stuff but surely you could take out a civil suit against him and sue the fucker for everything he owns, even if it's only a small amount it will hurt him a lot. First you would need a criminal conviction to prove he did wrong so go ahead with that regardless.

I believe his likes eventually picks the wrong guy and ends up getting a few slaps, hoepfully heavy ones.

this reminded me of something! :pac:

friend of mine was walking out of the local nightclub by himself a few weeks ago - now this guy is one hardy bastard but a really nice guy who never (ever!) looks for trouble.

he says he'd his hands in his jeans pockets, head down and was after leaving the lads to go get a chinese. some guy who he'd never seen before, not to mention talked to/had hassle with, just jumped him from behind out of nowhere and started hitting him across the back of the head.

basically, my mate took a couple of punches and then absolutely leathered him! i mean seriously ****ed him up - there wasn't one knuckle on either hand that didn't have some very deep cuts made by that bastards teeth. he didn't kill him though :pac:

now THAT is what needs to happen to evey scumbag who starts a fight for nothing...a very heavy beating. he'll think twice before attacking a randomer from now on is my guess.

I abhore violence, but for guys like this, balaclava and baseball bat. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

No chance you and your mates can just head on down and kick the sh*te of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

So just needed to rant as I am so angry!
    My baby brother (18) was assaulted in our home town over the weekend by a complete scum of the earth ratbag (20), he walked up to him just outside a GARDA STATION and headbutted him into the face, driving some of his front teeth up into the roof of his mouth, breaking some of his teeth, splitting his lip open.
    Apparently he was drinking in the park with a gang of his scumbag friends, and was drunk and off his head on something. My brother had to be rushed a considerable distance to cork hospital for emergency dental surgery and treatement. Has been told it will take more surgery, root canal treatement to get his teeth anyway right.

My brother didn't even know the guy who attacked him, he was acting the big man in front of his scummer friends and assaulted him for no reason. My brother was brought straight into the garda station by his friends where they called an ambulance. I have to say, my brother is an absolute softie, a real harmless guy - I have other brothers to compare him to! It made my blood boil. He's a Leaving Cert Student so he's studying like mad, doesnt venture out a lot.

Well the Gardai have said that even if it gets to court - we could probably expect the guy to get a "slap on the wrists" and a E150 fine!! And to get it to court, my brother's friends would need to give witness statements. When the most likely court outcome is the above, it is hardly worth his friends giving statements against this guy when he will probably terrorise them for it leading up to court and afterwards. They are all afraid.
    The cost of the dental treatment (which we have been told to expect to be thousands) isnt even the worst part, my poor brother was choking on his own blood and had to endure a 2 hour journey to hospital, is now in considerable pain and is afraid to go outside the door.

Makes me sick that this scum of the earth will probably get away with it as he seems to be above the law. I might add this isn't the first time he's been in trouble, he seems to have a record.

There is no justice

To gain a just outcome you have to make the effort. Do they really believe that not giving statements will help? There will be no justice if he does seek it.

The gardai are getting off lightly by not having to do any work and the guy who headbutted your brother will walk away without the "slap on the wrist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I abhore violence, but for guys like this, balaclava and baseball bat. Sorry!

Nice contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

This scummer could be on a suspended sentence or one more crime away from going to prison. He must be brought to court. Your brothers mates may not have to testify in court as a witness as the scummer will probably plead guilty.

I was assaulted when i was in my teens by local scumbags, thankfully not badly. The lads involved are all either on heroin or in prison now but its a big regret that i didnt bring them to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

orourkeda wrote: »
    To gain a just outcome you have to make the effort. Do they really believe that not giving statements will help? There will be no justice if he does seek it.

The gardai are getting off lightly by not having to do any work and the guy who headbutted your brother will walk away without the "slap on the wrist".

Have to say I agree with this....what's that quote....."the only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing".

I completely understand that your brother and his mates would be nervous making statements in court, but it would be a great shame to see this guy go free after committing such a needless and vicious assault.

Honestly, the chances of him bothering your brother after or during the trial would be minimal. Most bullies wouldn't bother going near their victims again, once they have fought back in some way.

For justice to be done, there needs to be people willing to fight for it. Personally, I would go after him with every ounce of my being. It may be scary, but even scarier is the thought of him roaming the streets scott free, picking on other innocent victims, without a care in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 TGQ

I been saying it for a long time now that the only way to stop these P***ks is to de-ball them, One ball the 1st time and the 2nd for the next offence, i'm telling you that would stop a lot of it.

OP, i'm sorry for hearing bout your brother. its terrible, but if ye do go to court, your brother will have to be compensated for any medical/dental costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

The Justice needs to be reformed, with previous convictions taken into account and multiplying the length of the sentence you get for any future crimes and some sort of forced hard labour. Every week in the local paper its the same scumbags adding to their 30-40 previous convictions, and still free or at worst get a couple of months in jail.
    Wish your brother the best, it can be a big knock to his confidence and a shock to the system, but try and bring the scumbag to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

orourkeda wrote: »

They are too scared! Not only would they have to give written statements but also face him in court. It's not that big a town where they could avoid him. And I'd worry what he would do to their cars, houses, family members etc. At the end of the day they know it's the right thing to do but not an easy thing to do. At the very least they can expect to be abused on the street by this individual - things like that don't get forgotten. You'd be labelled a rat for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

They are too scared! Not only would they have to give written statements but also face him in court. It's not that big a town where they could avoid him. And I'd worry what he would do to their cars, houses, family members etc. At the end of the day they know it's the right thing to do but not an easy thing to do. At the very least they can expect to be abused on the street by this individual - things like that don't get forgotten. You'd be labelled a rat for years.

I feel your plight but you cant expect the Gardai to do all the standing up!!! :(

i mean this in the best possible way; your brother's friends need to man up and make a statement.

the idea that you cannot at least try to bring this f'ucker to justice means that - in terms of living outside the system and not giving a f'uck about society - your brother and his mates are just as bad as the scummer that attacked him.

i know it's harsh but it's the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Predator_ wrote: »
    Dont blame the scumbag, hes just doing what he was put here to do. Blame our weak society.

Most people don't have the luxury to think this way! Tis very philosophical though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Amy - I hate to hear these sort of stories. This sort of thing is all too common. But bad as your brother feels now, if he lets the guy away with it and then the guy does worse to someone else, then how bad would your bro feel?

I think what a lot of people have suggested - a civil case - is a very good idea. Hitting the dirtbag in the pocket is probably going to prove far more effective than getting the standard "slap on the wrist" to add to a string of convictions.

I hope your brother and his mates can find the courage to punish this lad for what hes done. In the mean time I hope he has a speedy recovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Civil case would probably be a bit of a waste of time because the judge will see that this knackbag hasn't got an arse in his trousers and it'll all come to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

I abhore violence injustice, but for guys like this, balaclava and baseball bat. Sorry!

FYP.

OP thats an awful story, I hope your brother gets over his ordeal. There a many posts bemoaning the stupidity of our joke of a justice system. It needs to change rapidly but how do we go about changing it?
    Its a disgrace that someone who doesn't have a TV licence can go to prison while scum with multiple convictions walk and laugh at the system at everyones expense.
    I have no faith in our system of justice anymore which only seems to be a revenue generating behemoth for the government.
    Personally I do not abhor violence in context but I abhor injustice and preying upon the weak and law abiding members of society.
    IMHO the attacker waives all rights to mercy by committing an unprovoked attack like this.
    This scumbag would get every tooth in his head embedded in my baseball bat some night if it was my family member he attacked, I would bide my time and it would be swift and brutal. No quarter. :mad:
    Revenge is a dish best served cold, but in large portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Really sorry to hear what that scum did! hope your brothers ok! :(
    There is no justice in this country, for scum and scangers like that! :mad: its insane sometimes, like times like this for your brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

That's truly awful OP. I hope you're brother's going to be OK. There really is no justice in this country. Similar incident happened to someone I know a while back. Guards can do nothing.

I know I'll be condemned for next sentence, but what are we supposed to do while people like him are getting off constantly for random acts of despicable violence?

If I knew the guy, I'd make sure the same (if not worse as it was initially totally unprovoked) was done to him. Be if from myself or whatever. So while the law is looking after scumbags like that, I guess we've to look after ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

orestes wrote: »
    Call Joe Duffy or get a blog
    Woo... you're so against the grain. And as for the other stuff about the OP being selfish because she highlighted a brutal attack on her kid brother? :confused: He didn't just lose a few teeth either - slightly more to it than that, not to mind the fact that the poor lad will be nervous heading out at night.

I don't usually agree with rants as they can be rabble-rousing, but this came from a place of upset and frustration and the OP seems reasonable.

Same time though, the stuff about society pathologically mollycoddling people who carry out attacks like that is bollocks - most people dislike such individuals, including the "PC brigade". And while little sh1tbags like that should take responsibility and face consequences, sometimes the reason for them being as they are is exactly due to society not giving a sh1t about them. That isn't excusing them, but it does partially explain their behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Honestly OP it's a pretty horrible thing to happen and my heart really does go out to your little brother. As for not wanting to go after the scum-bag with a civil case as you don't want to be labelled a "rat", well to be honest seeing as the police have been involved you have kinda already passed that point so people with a school yard mentality who would label you as a rat will probably do so anyway. Secondly I have heard of a number of cases of young scum-bags who go around starting fights with the express intent that if their target defends themselves they will bring a civil case against them. It's a money making scheme and if your roles were reversed they would probably go against you for all your worth.
    Cut this scobes benefits completely (100% garaunteed he's on the dole/disability) and **** him in a cell for 23 hours a day for 5-10 years for the assault.
    My gut reaction with the benefits would be to agree with you, but sadly if we were to cut benefits then they would just resort to burglary to make money. I mean if this is the way they carry on in the street outside a Garda station, then they wouldn't exactly be stooping to become thieves.

Honestly I think we need to do make a couple of changes to the penal justice system in Ireland. Firstly there needs to be repercussions to scum-bags under 18, because as it stands they know they can get away with doing whatever they want.

Secondly I would love to see Ireland using GPS ankle monitors for all serious offenders after they were released for a number of years. It should be part of their parole seeing as a lot of them will probably have suspended sentences. Their free movement should be heavily restricted as well as limits on the number of people with ankle monitors who can gather in one place at a time and as they can monitor alcohol consumption as well, banning them from the consumption of any alcohol.

Thirdly, for adult offenders, I really don't understand why we banned penal labour in this country, I see no reason why a prisoner should be a burden on the state for the length of his incarceration. At the very least they should pay for their stay in prison, and if the state can generate some income from them then all the better. I know there are situations where it was misused in the past, so there needs to be limits on it, but it would be better than having them twiddling their thumbs up in Mountjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

OP one point to consider in gettin wittness statements is that the world your brothers friends live in right now is very small next year or the year after most of them will be off to college and will spend ninty percent of their time miles away from that dieing c*nt.

I know its hard for them to imagine this at their age but Maybe try explaining that to them, as much as id love to kick lumps out of him myself court seems to be the way to go, have him made to pay for the damage and surgery, that will haunt him for years.

Hope his recovery goes as well as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

HoneyRyder wrote: »
    You're not in a position to make assumptions about me or my upbringing. I've already extended my apologies regarding the OP's brother being involved in a scuffle but forgive me if I find it largely irrelevant in relation to the magnitude of crap that other people are experiencing right now.
    Sure I am. You've invited this conversation and I'm going to call you on it. You post online and talk sh!t to someone who's obviously going through a hard time. You accuse her problems of being insignificant while riding your high horse off into the sunset. If that doesn't talk novels about your upbringing, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Get a psychological assessment and a victim impact statement done.
    Get him convicted in court of the illegal assault. As stated, he'll likely get a slap on the wrist.
    Then take a civil suit against him for damages & compensation. Insist on at least €10,000. He most likely won't have that, so you'll get x amount per week for x years.

It won't really make up for the assault as it can really affect you long term (I was assaulted by 8 teens when I was 14 and spent 2 weeks in intensive care). But, it'll hurt the scumbag.

Then when he's finished paying your brother the compensation, hit him in the face and nuts with a baseball bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 reptile man

i cant stand scumbags ,the little ones are the worst ,dirty f:mad::mad:kers
    when i was in my teens was walking through the woods this scumbag thought it would be funny to set his dog on the me . didnt bother calling the gards as would be waste of time . told the brother and he and his friend beat the sh:pac:t out of him . lets just say he never came near me ever again . dirty scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I wonder what Makikomi would have done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Comfort the lad
    Start a thread on boards
    Get thanked 200 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    if you get a heart attack in kilrush,Kilkee etc. Co clare(im not from there btw;))the ambulance has to come from ennis and take you to limerick.(if you have the misfortune to have a heart attack after 8 o clock).Basically-your dead.Thats the Irish Health System.Its a long drive from Kilkee to Limerick.

That progress for you I suppose :rolleyes:, modern healthcare infrastructure my ar$e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This attitude essentially means the scumbag can do whatever he likes. He's basically getting away with what he did due to your brothers friend inactions. OP you need to STAND UP TO THIS GUY. Bring him to court and get him done. If he attacks their cars, report him! If he threatens them, report him! whatever the **** he does, report the ****er. This will all count against him when it comes to court. If you dont enter into and take part in the judicial process, justice cant be served

Also in this thread we have seen people throw out lines like "oh sure nothing will happen to him" and "he'll get a slap on the wrist". I'd love to know what this is based on. I imagine its the odd story in the papers where someone slips through the net. What isnt reported in the papers is the huge amount of people who are actually punished when courts sit. You will only hear about the guy who got off lightly, not about the hundreds of other cases where they get an appropriate punishment.

So in short, I think it would be better to forget about any knee-jerk reactions or revenge beatings and actually go down the route that civilised people are supposed to, report the ****er!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 _Cato_

It's no secret that the justice system in this country is woefully under-performing. At a groundwork level, the gardai as law enforcement and keepers of the peace are so horrendously under-trained for a variety of situations and circumstances. Remember that taping a few weeks ago where they were afraid to take somebody down via a ladder?

I say, privatise the courts and the Gardai - then we'll see some justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

the justice system in this country is broken , it needs re examining. complete tools will always get away with crap like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

_Cato_ wrote: »

Yes, sell off our police force and judicial system to the highest bidder, who can operate it without state intervention, what could go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

OP, your brother has to pursue this and press charges.

He will get more than a slap on the wrist for GBH and the fact that your brother has to have medical treatment. If there are witnesses, pursue it. Otherwise that scumbag will only do it again, and again, and...

I'd love if a vigilante group got organised and sorted this country out. The Gards are absolutley useless. Have had many a negative experience myself. Have no time for them. They're almost as scummy as that lad who headbutted your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Fart wrote: »
    I wonder what Makikomi would have done?

Who would have been stupid enough to try headbutt Makikomi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

_Cato_ wrote: »

You failed to buy X number of Company X's products this week. DEATH!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Get a psychological assessment and a victim impact statement done.
    Get him convicted in court of the illegal assault. As stated, he'll likely get a slap on the wrist.
    Then take a civil suit against him for damages & compensation. Insist on at least €10,000. He most likely won't have that, so you'll get x amount per week for x years.

It won't really make up for the assault as it can really affect you long term (I was assaulted by 8 teens when I was 14 and spent 2 weeks in intensive care). But, it'll hurt the scumbag.

Then when he's finished paying your brother the compensation, hit him in the face and nuts with a baseball bat.
    I was just going to suggest this; take a civil suit and sue for damages, costs, loss of earnings, emotional trauma and anything else you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I know what it's like OP, the feeling of helplessness in this sort of situation is horrible and you just want to hurt the guy yourself.

The night of our Leaving Cert results we going out celebrating. Afterwards we went to the kebab shop that everyone in the town goes to after a night out. We were standing outside minding our own business. Next minute some scumbag comes up to my boyfriend (who would never hurt anyone) and says "Were you starting' on him?!". He was in the middle of saying "Who?" when some smaller scumbag came up behind the bigger lad and headbutted my boyfriend. The bigger lad stood between them the whole time while the smaller guy punched and headbutted my boyfriend. He didn't hit back once, just stood there in shock trying to reason with the guy. I was the only one to get in and try help, everyone else stood on watching. Eventually I managed to get the guy off him and get my boyfriend inside the shop where the guys working there tried to clean him up a bit.

Once it came out that these guys were known around town for fighting, drug dealing, and more no one wanted to get involved with the Gards. Now I wish I had have tried push for it to get to court or to get something done against the guys. If you don't at least try it will nag at you that you could have helped some other guy and added to these guys records. I know how hard it is, but looking back I wish I had tried harder.

Just wanted to say Im really sorry to hear that. You and your whole family must be gutted at such violence toward one of your own for no reason.
    We've all been so worried about money in this country for years, that it seems we let crime just totally spiral out of hand.
    I know personally Im terrified every time my teen leaves the house, shes a great kid, and Im always terrified she'll run in to some F***** off their head who'd hurt her like your brother was hurt or worse.

I hope to God the new Justice Minister, takes a walk around all our major cities and see's the rot. I know Dublin sickens me now, there are so many scumbags on the streets, Im actually embarassed around tourists in town.

I hope your brother heals well, and he gets over this as best he can.
    Im really gutted for you, thats so sad. Seems to be always the good kids that are picked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sue him.

Nothing to do with criminal law. Police or anything like that. He did damage to you, cost you cash. You have the police report.

Sue him.

He should pay every penny of the treatment plus your lawyers costs.

Screw the criminal legal system and having him sent to jail, thats not going to solve crap. but you go after every penny he's going to earn for the next ten years and you'll hurt him more than any slap on the wrist.

And he's not going to be "terrorising" anyone about it either.

Scumbags dont know about civil law, they dont have the brains, so you can scare the sh*t out of him hopefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement