Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like Professional Wrestling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Biggins wrote: »
    If its the American type - NO, don't like it.
    It's the personification of all thats wrong with American media and mindless hype-over what is in the end, pure rubbish and useless fodder for the brain dead.

If it entertains eight year olds, normally I would say 'grand' but if one entertains the idea that dumb violence (false at that) is a good idea to which we should be allowing our young minds to view and become accustomed with, we also need to re-examine our parenting skills too and our values!

thats basically the hysteria you'd expect from a Joe Duffy caller, wrestling should be a cause to look at parenting skills? what bout the stuff they put on MTV? you have young girls listening to Rihanna talking about S&M exciting her and Britney spears flashing her bits every time she gets out of a car. Kids watch the X-Factor, which is basically the modern equivalent of a freakshow where rich people get to laugh at the deluded people who come on stage to enterain us by how badly they can sing. Theres far worse stuff on tv to influence young kids these days than wrestling, which is very family orientated these days.Theres no blood, no sex and its gone back to the Hulk Hogan type stuff than the violent stuff in the 90's.

Did you know that the Make A Wish foundation gets more requests for WWE star appearances than any other type of sport or entertainment? or that John Cena is a spokesperson for them due to the amount of charity work they are involved in? the WWE also goes to Afghanistan to perform for the US troops every year, and are involved in a charity helping kids to learn how to read and write, that doesnt seem like the kind of company that caters to "neanderthals" now does it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

krudler wrote: »
    thats basically the hysteria you'd expect from a Joe Duffy caller, wrestling should be a cause to look at parenting skills? what bout the stuff they put on MTV? you have young girls listening to Rihanna talking about S&M exciting her and Britney spears flashing her bits every time she gets out of a car. Kids watch the X-Factor, which is basically the modern equivalent of a freakshow where rich people get to laugh at the deluded people who come on stage to enterain us by how badly they can sing. Theres far worse stuff on tv to influence young kids these days than wrestling, which is very family orientated these days.Theres no blood, no sex and its gone back to the Hulk Hogan type stuff than the violent stuff in the 90's.

Did you know that the Make A Wish foundation gets more requests for WWE star appearances than any other type of sport or entertainment? or that John Cena is a spokesperson for them due to the amount of charity work they are involved in? the WWE also goes to Afghanistan to perform for the US troops every year, and are involved in a charity helping kids to learn how to read and write, that doesnt seem like the kind of company that caters to "neanderthals" now does it?

First of all, I NEVER said any of the other programmes you mentioned weren't as bad sometimes in influencing young minds - but thanks for trying to portray that I was - you failed!

Indeed there is far worse - but because there is far worse, does that mean we should then just allow the lesser of two evils?

You say there is no blood and sex. Your right most of the time. So we have a 'display' of aggression that additionally shows kids falsely that its possible to bash the brain out of someone and they can still in real life get up and walk away without scarring (outside and inner), without blood loss and without repercussion on an aggressor - and whats more they get cheered for it!

So what if the Make A Wish foundation gets requests - be they get one or ten thousand - that still don't make it right!
    Justification by using sheer numbers is a stupid argument. Two wrongs (or 70,000) don't make a right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I liked it until Benoit threw a wobbler and killed his family and himself, sort of destroyed the innocent fun it was.

Would only watch the rumble and mania(didnt bother this year) which is good craic when you watch it with a group with a few cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Riddle101

...Except that one is based upon a foundation of using brains, plots, and complex situations and often problem solving.
    Meanwhile the others is just based solely around the idea of scripted bashing the brains out of each other.

Ok you've made you're point already about the difference between the TV shows that i've mentioned and wrestling. I just used them as an example to make my point.

Just because something exists, doesn't mean it good!
    If it struts like a Neanderthal, behaves llike a Neanderthal and is similarly cheered on by hyped-up Neanderthal behaving bodies ...I see Neanderthals

Most wrestlers don't give off any resemblence of the definition you're giving right now. Which makes me wonder if you're just taking petty shots for the sake of taking petty shots. Neanderthal is a pretty far sighted thing to say. Can I ask, have you actually watched wrestling? and I don't just mean, did you just flick through the channels one day and come across a wrestling program, but have you actually watched it to make such a statement? Or are you echoing the same remarks made by every other wrestling hater.

First of all, I NEVER said any of the other programmes you mentioned weren't as bad sometimes in influencing young minds - but thanks for trying to portray that I was - you failed!

Indeed there is far worse - but because there is far worse, does that mean we should then just allow the lesser of two evils?

You say there is no blood and sex. Your right most of the time. So we have a 'display' of aggression that additionally shows kids falsely that its possible to bash the brain out of someone and they can still in real life get up and walk away without scarring (outside and inner), without blood loss and without repercussion on an aggressor - and whats more they get cheered for it!

So what if the Make A Wish foundation gets requests - be they get one or ten thousand - that still don't make it right!
    Justification by using sheer numbers is a stupid argument. Two wrongs (or 70,000) don't make a right.

but injuries occur all the time on it, just last week a wrestler by the name of Edge had to retire (as in legitimately, not as part of the show) due to a neck injury, they make a big point of telling people its a show but they do get injured, hows that any different than someone watching a movie and thinking they can do what they see some action star doing? my 7 year old nephew watches it and he knows its a show and not to try anything he see on it, the idea that a kid is going to watch it and then go out and hurt themselves is down to poor parenting, not what they see on tv, you can apply that argument to anything with violence on tv, cartoons for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

LighterGuy wrote: »
    and before anyone asks, I cant go into the pro wrestling forum and ask this :P thats like going to a car auction and saying does anyone like cars :pac:

So I am just wondering. Like, it was big in the 80s. Big in the late 90s. Does the average person like it? or does the average person hate it?

its about as fake as an irish person typing "like" out of context!! loike big in the 80s yah!!! bad enough D4 saps talk like that, but you actually typed it!!!! :mad:

Riddle101 wrote: »
    ...Can I ask, have you actually watched wrestling? and I don't just mean, did you just flick through the channels one day and come across a wrestling program, but have you actually watched it to make such a statement?
    Yes, unaquiviqually I can say yes.
    I have watch it and tried to see some advantageous merit to continuing to watch it.
    I found none either in entertainment value, educational value or any good reason to stay glued to watch more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I have watch it and tried to see some advantageous merit to continuing to watch it.
    I found none either in entertainment value, educational value or any good reason to stay glued to watch more.
    Biggins its like a big dumb action film which never ends, dont take it too seriously.

but injuries occur all the time on it, just last week a wrestler by the name of Edge had to retire (as in legitimately, not as part of the show) due to a neck injury, they make a big point of telling people its a show but they do get injured, hows that any different than someone watching a movie and thinking they can do what they see some action star doing? my 7 year old nephew watches it and he knows its a show and not to try anything he see on it, the idea that a kid is going to watch it and then go out and hurt themselves is down to poor parenting, not what they see on tv, you can apply that argument to anything with violence on tv, cartoons for one.
    The idea that someone allows a year old to be impressed by two adults bashing each other frankly is disturbing.
    Would you allow a same youth to watch two adults so similar on your high-street?
    ...But its on the telly - so thats different of course!

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Biggins its like a big dumb action film which never ends, dont take it too seriously.

LOL

I don't - I opt not to take it at all. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,309 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't say I watch it, just catch a few clips here and there if I hear there was something good. But I like keeping up with results and news.

I know it's fake. Always have (well maybe not when I was 5 or so, but when it was on Channel 4 in 2000/2001). The interesting part for me now is more about what happens behind the scenes. Why someone was chosen to win the match. Which wrestlers actually don't like each other. Stories about backstage bullying. Who is wrestling through an injury. How the propose storylines have changed due to some news. Stuff like that. The actual shows are the result of some pretty interesting stuff backstage.

It's like reading a behind the scenes account of a film you didn't really like but heard that the director slapped an actress and the main actor was stoned off his tits half the time. More interesting than the film itself

The idea that someone allows a year old to be impressed by two adults bashing each other frankly is disturbing.
    Would you allow a same youth to watch two adults so similar on your high-street?
    ...But its on the telly - so thats different of course!

But its a tv show, a SHOW, by that logic I shouldnt allow him to watch Home Alone, in case he starts battering irons off people and setting traps with hilarious consequences around the house. He knows the difference between real violence and the suggested stuff on WWE shows and movies.

Barrington wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I watch it, just catch a few clips here and there if I hear there was something good. But I like keeping up with results and news.

I know it's fake. Always have (well maybe not when I was 5 or so, but when it was on Channel 4 in 2000/2001). The interesting part for me now is more about what happens behind the scenes. Why someone was chosen to win the match. Which wrestlers actually don't like each other. Stories about backstage bullying. Who is wrestling through an injury. How the propose storylines have changed due to some news. Stuff like that. The actual shows are the result of some pretty interesting stuff backstage.

It's like reading a behind the scenes account of a film you didn't really like but heard that the director slapped an actress and the main actor was stoned off his tits half the time. More interesting than the film itself

Thats it for me in a nutshell, its a fascinating business, I could care less who wins or loses every week, its not the reason I watch it, I rarely watch the shows anymore just read the results, its the production side of things I love, seeing what they come up with for the video packages and the Wrestlemania stage, things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fair enough, but just because you don't find it entertaining, dosen't mean others won't. People have different tastes. But my point is, you made a remark that wrestlers were just Neanderthals when in actual fact they're no where near that type of comparisson.

Also why would watch wrestling for educational value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not watched it religiously since I was a kid, I can still hear the commentator now, "That was a cheap shot McMahon!"
    Then we lost Sky1 and I lost all interest.

Only see it now when flicking around the Sports channels, there are some serious women on it, back in the day you could only get a 'pedal' out to the lovely Elizabeth but Macho Man was always in shot to put you off your 'stroke' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I liked the Wrestling Takedown Federation.

Great wrestling.

Fair enough, but just because you don't find it entertaining, dosen't mean others won't. People have different tastes. But my point is, you made a remark that wrestlers were just Neanderthals when in actual fact they're no where near that type of comparison.

True, each to their own.
    As for "why would watch wrestling for educational value?" - well I was trying to find some sort of retaining value, even stretching such a search to one of education purposes.
    Needless to say, I found it failed there too! :pac:

But its a tv show, a SHOW, by that logic I shouldn't allow him to watch Home Alone, in case he starts battering irons off people and setting traps with hilarious consequences around the house...
    Just careful as you enter your home daily then!
    Be afraid! :pac: :D

To be fair a lot of them are finely tuned athletes who put their bodies on the line each time they go into the ring. Yes it's scripted and matches are 'rigged' but that doesn't mean they don't endure tremendous pain when they take part in a match.

"What do you do for a living?"
    "I get hit with a steel chair in the head and back most of the time!"
    "Fair fooking play!" :pac:

Fair enough, but just because you don't find it entertaining, dosen't mean others won't. People have different tastes. But my point is, you made a remark that wrestlers were just Neanderthals when in actual fact they're no where near that type of comparisson.

lol on this, its not trying to be, nor has it ever tried to be educational. neither are shows like CSI or Lost, did you know forensic investigators dont actually go out and solve crimes themselves?! crazy! :pac:

I love intelligent tv like The Wire and shows that have great character development, but sometimes I just want to turn my brain off, same as movies, some nights I want to watch something by Darren Aronofsky, some nights I want to watch something by Michael Bay :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Used to when I was younger, now I just cringe any time I happen to come across it while channel hopping.

lol on this, its not trying to be, nor has it ever tried to be educational. neither are shows like CSI or Lost, did you know forensic investigators dont actually go out and solve crimes themselves?! crazy! :pac:

I love intelligent tv like The Wire and shows that have great character development, but sometimes I just want to turn my brain off, same as movies, some nights I want to watch something by Darren Aronofsky, some nights I want to watch something by Michael Bay :D
    ...But if you REALLY wanted to turn your brain off, you could just watch a Twilight film! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

used to love it as a child, China was my fav but I actually couldn't sit down and watch it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As a kid yup nowadays it's just.....sad and I really can't understand how grownups can like it.

If you want to see grown men get mostly naked and get hands on with one another UFC is where it's at.

...But if you REALLY wanted to turn your brain off, you could just watch a Twilight film! :D
    I watched the first movie, funniest film I'd seen in ages.

....what do you mean it wasnt meant to be a comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

As a kid yup nowadays it's just.....sad and I really can't understand how grownups can like it.

If you want to see grown men get mostly naked and get hands on with one another UFC is where it's at.

If I'm going to watch 2 semi-naked men, I'd much prefer watch them do something more intesting than lie on each other for three/five rounds while I'm being told which hemorrhoid cream is 'worthy of being in the octagon'. It's just an advertisement with occasional fight breaks. At least wrestling retains some dignity... :p

This post was brought to you... by Bud Lite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some op just posted this in relation to hypnosis in another thread in AH..

sums up wrestling and what it's about..:D

The Louis Theroux documentary on wrestling was excellent I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I met Randy Orton on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Why would I watch professional wrestling when there's perfectly good gay porn on the internet?

• Advertisement

I like UFC but at least in wrestling you're guaranteed a show, not a fight with rounds of lying on the ground doing fcuk all or ended in a few short punches. ones a sport, ones a show, theres a difference.

I met Randy Orton on friday

Wrestler or porn star :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I liked it until Benoit threw a wobbler and killed his family and himself, sort of destroyed the innocent fun it was.

Yeah, I knew Wrestling was a disgusting business, reading about backstage sh!t was part of the appeal, but the whole Benoit thing killed it. Once I got out of the habit I can barely believe I ever watched it and was obsessed for years.

These are probably the two best threads on any forum ever.

http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling3/kotdm15/listsleeze.html

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=294

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hot Lips will sharpshooter the lot of ya's when she sees this.

I like UFC but at least in wrestling you're guaranteed a show, not a fight with rounds of lying on the ground doing fcuk all or ended in a few short punches. ones a sport, ones a show, theres a difference.

As someone said earlier watching men slap each others chests and prancing about a ring isn't for me.

The UFC is very rarely boring.

As someone said earlier watching men slap each others chests and prancing about a ring isn't for me.

The UFC is very rarely boring.

yeah like nobody ever made it in UFC was a former wrestler, oh wait...

yeah like nobody ever made it in UFC was a former wrestler, oh wait...

That doesn't make any difference to what 'wrestling' is. I'd be mortified to say I liked it but then, each to their own.

I watch a bit of UFC once and it looked like 2 guys rolling around on the floor trying to violently cuddle each other, is that what it's about :confused:

kfallon wrote: »
    I watch a bit of UFC once and it looked like 2 guys rolling around on the floor trying to violently cuddle each other, is that what it's about :confused:

cuddles are all fun and games until someone taps out from an arm bar

• Advertisement

It annoys me when people wheel out the "its just like gay porn line" tired old argument, by that logic football is a bunch of fairies prancing around playing a kids game. rugby is a bunch of meatheads grabbing each others balls with their heads between their legs, then all sharing a shower at the end, nothing homoerotic about that at all..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yes I like it. Favourite wrestler is Kane, has been since I was a kid.

cuddles are all fun and games until someone taps out from an arm bar

See they only tap out, they don't lose an eye like most people in that saying :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Pro wrestling is an amazing story of how a travelling carnival sideshow became a multi-million dollar industry.

Scripted athletic exhibition is better than saying fake :D

Or a quick grab from wikipedia:

"Professional wrestling (or pro wrestling) is a mode of spectacle, combining athletics and theatrical performance. It takes the form of events, held by touring companies, which mimic a title match combat sport. The unique form of sport portrayed is fundamentally based on classical and "catch" wrestling, with modern additions of striking attacks, strength-based holds and throws, and acrobatic maneuvers; much of these derive from the influence of various international martial arts. An additional aspect of combat with improvised weaponry is sometimes included to varying degrees.

The matches have predetermined outcomes in order to heighten entertainment value, and all combative maneuvers are worked in order to lessen the chance of actual injury. These facts were once kept highly secretive but are now a widely accepted open secret. By and large, the true nature of the performance is not discussed by the performing company in order to sustain and promote the willing suspension of disbelief for the audience by maintaining an aura of verisimilitude."

That is what I enjoy, although the present product could be better in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I like professional wrestling from an MMA point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

havent watched this since i was like 10.Though I use to have a dodgy box and have a few lads over for cans and watch the main events the odd time.

There's nothing worst than seeing a grown man wearing a smackdown T-shirt - all wrestling is buff guys doing soft porn - like you really have to question the viewers sexuality!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes I like Professional Wrestling.

I watched it since I was a kid and still watch it now.

The WWE is becoming more and more like Cirque De Soleil these days - a mixture of Comedy, Athleticism and Choreography.

The Wresting from Japan is great to watch. It is more like a sport than what you see in America.

I do tire of the - Wrestling is Gay talk, its fake, they are all on steroids, they are Neanderthals.

Gay- because of that bull**** Wrestling is very homophobic
    Fake - its a performance so yes, of course its fake
    Steroids - was a serious problem in the past, now its not as bad as the biggest Company, WWE don't want anything to do with guys on steroids. Pain Killers are a bigger problem now.
    Neanderthals - many many wrestlers are college educated people who moved into Pro Wrestling after trying sports like football or amateur wrestling. Many others held good jobs while training to become full time wrestlers.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes I like Professional Wrestling.

I watched it since I was a kid and still watch it now.

The WWE is becoming more and more like Cirque De Soleil these days - a mixture of Comedy, Athleticism and Choreography.

The Wresting from Japan is great to watch. It is more like a sport than what you see in America.

I do tire of the - Wrestling is Gay talk, its fake, they are all on steroids, they are Neanderthals.

Gay- because of that bull**** Wrestling is very homophobic
    Fake - its a performance so yes, of course its fake
    Steroids - was a serious problem in the past, now its not as bad as the biggest Company, WWE don't want anything to do with guys on steroids. Pain Killers are a bigger problem now.
    Neanderthals - many many wrestlers are college educated people who moved into Pro Wrestling after going to college. Many others held good jobs while training to become full time wrestlers.

Thats a very good point, a lot of wrestlers are college educated , hell one of them was an olympic champion (Kurt Angle) and the majority of them have business enterprises outside of wrestling, did you know Mark Callaway(The Undertaker) is a prolific land developer with a massive real estate portfolio? or JBL who played the character of a Wall Street tycoon is actually a Wall Street mogul who has (or at least had) his own stock market slot on a cable show?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Thats a very good point, a lot of wrestlers are college educated , hell one of them was an olympic champion (Kurt Angle) and the majority of them have business enterprises outside of wrestling, did you know Mark Callaway(The Undertaker) is a prolific land developer with a massive real estate portfolio? or JBL who played the character of a Wall Street tycoon is actually a Wall Street mogul who has (or at least had) his own stock market slot on a cable show?

Some good role models there
    Jack Swagger has a degree in Finance
    Evan Bourne has a Bachelor Degree in marketing
    Eve Torres has a degree in Engineering.
    Micheele McCool was a science teacher
    Matt Striker was a teacher (has his degree),
    Cena did a degree in Exercise Physiology - as you can probably tell by the size of him

Of course there will a share of meat heads in there (also the guys who went to prison!) too but its unfair to label them all Neanderthals.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Some good role models there
    Jack Swagger has a degree in Finance
    Evan Bourne has a Bachelor Degree in marketing
    Eve Torres has a degree in Engineering.
    Micheele McCool was a science teacher
    Matt Striker was a teacher (has his degree),
    Cena did a degree in Exercise Physiology - as you can probably tell by the size of him

Of course there will a share of meat heads in there (also the guys who went to prison!) too but its unfair to label them all Neanderthals.

Vader was a real estate developer too. and Chris Nowinski (was around 2002 from Tough Enough) has become one of the leading experts in concussion based injuries in sports and written a few books about it from his own experiences.

It is sad to see the other side of it though, there are far, far too many drug related deaths in wrestling, its a seedy side of it that not many people know about. the mortality rate among wrestlers is absolutely shocking. must be 40 or more in the past 10 years who have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

And there's Chris Nowinski, who now researches concussion in sport and is a big influence on rule changes in the NFL.

Edit: I see you mentioned it in a later post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement