Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like Professional Wrestling?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    LMAO - It scares me that people behave like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

krudler wrote: »
    Thats a very good point, a lot of wrestlers are college educated , hell one of them was an olympic champion (Kurt Angle) and the majority of them have business enterprises outside of wrestling, did you know Mark Callaway(The Undertaker) is a prolific land developer with a massive real estate portfolio? or JBL who played the character of a Wall Street tycoon is actually a Wall Street mogul who has (or at least had) his own stock market slot on a cable show?
    With a broken frickkin' neck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah!I love pro-wrestling,I have done since I was 11 or 12 and I'm in my 20's now so I doubt that I will ever grow out of it.

When I started watching it I had no idea how things worked,I mean,I knew it wasn't a legitimate fight,but I had no idea of the backstage politics and stories that for me anyways,make wrestling so fun and interesting to watch.

I don't see why I have to come on here and defend myself as to why I enjoy wrestling like I've seen a few regular posters on the PW forum do,there are far worse things on television then pro wrestling in my opinion,but I know next to nothing about them,so I'm not going to ignorantly (and in some cases homophobically) criticise them like so many people have done in regards to pro wrestling in this thread today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always like the excuse that: " I don't watch it because its gay". So you don't watch it due to how stupid the concept is? You are worried about the sexual implications of it. Seems like you might have to have a bit of a think about your preferences.

Ya it's stupid. I don't know why I watch it still. Nothing worse than a bad television show but I suppose when its good it's very good. I am starting to care less about it so maybe I'm getting cured :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Was getting off the bus the other morning and there were these people on the street asking if I "wanted to help the WWF". Heart sank when I discovered it was some animal charity, for a minute I had thought Stone Cold needed a tag team partner or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was getting off the bus the other morning and there were these people on the street asking if I "wanted to help the WWF". Heart sank when I discovered it was some animal charity, for a minute I had thought Stone Cold needed a tag team partner or something....

http://www.deviantart.com/download/114193889/WWF_Pandas_Stencil_by_Murat_Nautilus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Yes I like Professional Wrestling.

I watched it since I was a kid and still watch it now.

The WWE is becoming more and more like Cirque De Soleil these days - a mixture of Comedy, Athleticism and Choreography.

The Wresting from Japan is great to watch. It is more like a sport than what you see in America.

I do tire of the - Wrestling is Gay talk, its fake, they are all on steroids, they are Neanderthals.

Gay- because of that bull**** Wrestling is very homophobic
    Fake - its a performance so yes, of course its fake
    Steroids - was a serious problem in the past, now its not as bad as the biggest Company, WWE don't want anything to do with guys on steroids. Pain Killers are a bigger problem now.
    Neanderthals - many many wrestlers are college educated people who moved into Pro Wrestling after trying sports like football or amateur wrestling. Many others held good jobs while training to become full time wrestlers.

Still, It must be pretty easy to do if that Snooki creature can just waltz in and kick-ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I would put the entertainment level of wrestling somewhere in or around the entertainment level of Fair City, poorly scripted with poor actors. But as they say, to each their own

ColHol wrote: »
    I would put the entertainment level of wrestling somewhere in or around the entertainment level of Fair City, poorly scripted with poor actors. But as they say, to each their own

That's an outrageous statement, did anyone in fair city ever hit their Boss/commisioner/franchise owner with a Stone Cold Stunner?

smokedeels wrote: »
    Still, It must be pretty easy to do if that Snooki creature can just waltz in and kick-ass.

she did practically one move, and mistimed it. Celebrity involvement in wrestling has been around for years though, the best thing about wrestling for me is the production of the events and the crowd reactions.

in regards to wrestlers being hurt, from 2min onward on this vid is a pretty good look at why wrestlers deserve more respect for what they do to entertain crowds:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That's an outrageous statement, did anyone in fair city ever hit their Boss/commisioner/franchise owner with a Stone Cold Stunner?

Worse!

I wish the stone cold stunner was a legitimate fight manuever, you'd see it in bar fights around the country every weekend

Yeah it'd be great to really say f*** you to the bouncers and give them the "bottom line"

Yeah it'd be great to really say f*** you to the bouncers and give them the "bottom line"

then have random cans of beer be thrown to you while you give everyone the finger and drown yourself in a couple of steveweisers.

I'd give people the Macho Man elbow drop off of a bar table, complete with "oohhhh yeahhh!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

krudler wrote: »

in regards to wrestlers being hurt, from 2min onward on this vid is a pretty good look at why wrestlers deserve more respect for what they do to entertain crowds:

Or in 39 seconds:

Probably NSFW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Used to watch WCW on UTV on Saturday afternoons in the mid 90s with Sting, Vader, etc but not much since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think it's rubbish now, not because I'm now aware it's fake, I knew it was scripted from my early years watching it. How could it not be?

It's missing those awesome rivalaries these days, there's no proper cool characters.
    Back when I watched it HBK, HHH, The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Edge and Kurt Angle were all on it every week, each tied up in different taunting sessions followed by fights. Some of these guys were incredibly entertaining on the microphone, yeah the slags were often childish, but still, can't deny some of these guys were charismatic! They owned the crowd! The Rock in particular. Some of the skits were awesome too, even just for pure LOLz. Stone Cold once came down in a beer truck and soaked the CEO (who wouldn't?) in a pure piss take. 7 grown men trying to stand up on a wet floor, only to continuously fall back over, it was hilarious! But even better, a few years later Kurt Angle repeating the feat with a Milk Truck on Stone Cold himself (I believe).

Now, the skits are near non-existent, even some of the mentioned wrestlers are still going, and have clearly gotten stale, the need to PG everything has helped get rid of any "Dangerous" fights and all the new wrestlers are just generic steroid test subjects.

No, I no longer like Professional Wrestling... but look back fondly on the olden days. Good nights were had with a few cans on a Monday or Sunday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I loved the movie 'The Wrestler' - I hate the rest of the crap, and why its in a sports cat. on boards.ie beats the bejaysus out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

I have a serious amount of respect for wrestlers and the wwe. They put their bodies on the line big time and anyone who doesn't believe these guys getting injured regularly are ignorant of the facts.

Of course the moves are choreographed to minimize injuries but being thrown off a 20 foot cage onto a table is extremely dangerous and people have been seriously injured and even killed during these shows.

If you search ''wwe- behind the mat'' on youtube and give it a watch you will realise the agony and pain these people go through for the entertainment of others. Wrestlers are tough mofos, Brock Lesnar, the former UFC heavyweight champion has testified to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Watched it when I was younger, stopped for ages, started again when we were in one of the lads houses after a sunday drinking session. Turn off your brain and just enjoy the mindless entertainment. The backstage stuff interests me much more now.

I loved the movie 'The Wrestler' - I hate the rest of the crap, and why its in a sports cat. on boards.ie beats the bejaysus out of me.

Its more of a sport than golf is :pac:

fun fact, up until the mid 80's it was classified as a sport but then Vince McMahon coined the phrase "sports entertainment", mostly to avoid paying the same taxes actual sports franchises do and because WWE performers arent classed as employees, they're "indepedent contractors" (who work on a contract and cant work for any other organisation, go figure).

Not so fun fact, the guy sweeping the arena floors probably has more job perks and benefits than a WWE wrestler, they pay their own travel expenses (I think the champions get more though) and can be fired for basically anything, from the crowd not reacting enough to getting injured to not showing the proper respect to the older guys backstage. Wrestling is one big boys club and if you dont give the old dogs their respect then you're marked for life. It really is a strange business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Never liked it, even as a kid I thought it was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I watched it when Stone Cold was on the go, because he was great craic. kane taking of his mask was a disaster, but I haven't watched it in years. Last time I checked there were too many new charismaless wasters involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Only reason i watch it anymore is because The Undertaker was always my favourite wrestler. Love his character and persona and all the pyrotechnics such as the lightning strikes and balls of fire erupting from the stage.:cool: When he retires my interest will wane even more. I'd probably still watch RAW because i'm a bit of a night owl and it goes out live every Monday night at 2am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cactus86

Iv watched it since I was a kid, now in my mid 20's & still going! It has allowed me to go places & meet people that I never would have otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It's alright, I dont watch it anymore but a few of my friends still do. I hate the argument people use "BUT WRESTLING IS FAKE OMG!". You don't think the viewers f*cking know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I used to love it when I was younger. I watched it just as the Attitude era was starting. I think the first PPV I saw was Wrestlemania with Stone Cold vs Michaels. I was hooked after that and would watch Raw every Friday night. Only a few of us had Sky in school so we used to tape it for the lads and we'd be talking about it non stop. Good times.

I grew out of it though. Maybe when I was 15/16. I still try to watch Wrestlemania every year but apart from that I'd struggle to watch a full show.
    The WWE seems too clean cut for me now. Bring back chair shots, midgets and more degrading of hot women and I might consider watching again. I still have huge respect for the business though, it's very unique and has some collection of characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to watch it years ago. then I realised the winner was already picked before the match even started so what is the point in watching that. steve Austin and The Giant were my favourite wrestlers.

Started watching the UFC and find it much more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Bring back chair shots, midgets and more degrading of hot women and I might consider watching again. I still have huge respect for the business though, it's very unique and has some collection of characters.

chair shots are still there aplenty, however unprotected chair shots to the head have been banned in wwe due to concussion and brain damages issues which is a good thing, a few weeks after wwe banned unprotected chair shots, rival tna did this stupid stunt, a stunt roundly criticized by top wrestling journalists like dave meltzer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

I used to watch it years ago. then I realised the winner was already picked before the match even started so what is the point in watching that. steve Austin and The Giant were my favourite wrestlers.

Started watching the UFC and find it much more entertaining.
    I gave up on it a few years ago. But not for that reason. It's meant to be watched as entertainment like a TV series. Not a real sport.

Also love UFC. But I watch that as a sport. No point in comparing the two.

Advertisement