Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No helmet laws

• 18-04-2011 3:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Just moved to Arizona.

Gets very hot here.

There is no requirement here to wear a helmet when riding - it's a bit freaky to see riders and passengers without a helmet!

I myself always wear one, but I do understand that here it's a personal choice (there are some real frredoms here that we don't have in Ireland).

Would you go naked if allowed - remember that it will be very hot here later in the year at least 40 degrees in the day and well over 30 at night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Not sure about "naked" ,but i've driven bikes on holidays in shorts and no lid...foolish..?? maybe..but at the time it didnt seem so...just comfortable..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I wouldn't feel safe doing it. One of me mates here in Ireland has a pisspot and a cloth over his face. Looks **** cool but wouldn't do it meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

few years back I did the t-shirt, jeans & helmet on stinking hot days. When I think back, I count myself very lucky that I still have both my arms. Wouldn't ever have gone without a helmet back then and would never go without a helmet and at least a decent jacket these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've done naked before. It was usually always off road, still wouldn't have stopped me being seriously injured if I'd crashed.

Now that I'm older and realise I'm no longer bullet proof ATGATT.

Do some research and find a helmet designed for hot climates.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

not sure i would welcome the freedom of being aloud to ride a bike without protective gear. im all for personal choice but i feel for the families that have to deal with the aftermath of an accident that leaves the rider getting skin grafts or leaving them in wheelchair or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not a chance! Rented a bike in Nevada and didn't wear a jacket. Way to hot to wear the heavy leather jackets they had. But if I lived there I'd have my own warm weather protective gear.

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    not sure i would welcome the freedom of being aloud to ride a bike without protective gear. im all for personal choice but i feel for the families that have to deal with the aftermath of an accident that leaves the rider getting skin grafts or leaving them in wheelchair or worse.

The only item legally required in Ireland is a lid, and not even a lid in working order. Yet the vast majority of bikers here where full PPE. That's personal choice in action.

OP
    What's the % of organ donors in AZ? I was in Texas years ago and it was about 30%, though it was Jan and freezing for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Del2005 wrote: »
    The only item legally required in Ireland is a lid, and not even a lid in working order. Yet the vast majority of bikers here where full PPE. That's personal choice in action.

OP
    What's the % of organ donors in AZ? I was in Texas years ago and it was about 30%, though it was Jan and freezing for a few days.

Its also wet and cold here and good gear helps keep warm and dry. :D

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Its also wet and cold here and good gear helps keep warm and dry. :D

Not during Summer, for the week we get, I've been to plenty of road races where everyone is melting in bike gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not during Summer, for the week we get, I've been to plenty of road races where everyone is melting in bike gear.
    One of the lads was telling me that years ago he biked around France. One day he got off his bike to fill it up with petrol. Walking. Across the forecourt he fainted cos the heat in his leathers haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I hate that eternal balancing act between too much and too little gear. I still have the winter lining in my jacket but was still kind of cold riding to work in the morning the last few days. Of course on the way home I was too warm. Ended up shooting off the lights like a mad man to get back up to speed and cool down a bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Ended up shooting off the lights like a mad man to get back up to speed and cool down a bit :D

thats me - love it!:D

"Sorry garda, i was too warm and needed to get some velocity up to cool down!!"

seanybiker wrote: »
    One of the lads was telling me that years ago he biked around France. One day he got off his bike to fill it up with petrol. Walking. Across the forecourt he fainted cos the heat in his leathers haha

A few of my mates went to the South of France last summer. On the boat back one of the lads tried on the others jacket, he'd left the lining in for the whole trip!

The problem is that our weather is so bad we need to buy warm waterproof gear. If you're living there then you can buy cool gear with plenty of holes for ventilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could always buy the worlds first helmet with a sun roof :eek:

Here it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I know lots of guys have top-boxes etc but in the GSX1400, you have a huge 'boot' under the seat. It's grand to be able to wear a hoodie under your summer gear on the cool mornings and stow it when it gets too warm.

After having the accident recently, I have ordered up a complete set of good gear. I'll be travelling ATGATT from now on so the plan is to have the right gear for all occasions to avoid the temptation to 'dress down'.

I wouldn't get on a bike without putting a lid on. Trucks and buses are usually the same size and just as painful when they hit you no matter how puny your bike or scooter is.

If there's no lid, I wouldn't ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just moved to Arizona.

Gets very hot here.

There is no requirement here to wear a helmet when riding - it's a bit freaky to see riders and passengers without a helmet!

I myself always wear one, but I do understand that here it's a personal choice (there are some real frredoms here that we don't have in Ireland).

Would you go naked if allowed - remember that it will be very hot here later in the year at least 40 degrees in the day and well over 30 at night.
    Out of 10 bikers that you would come across, how many wear a lid ?

And of those who do, I'd guess most of them wear half helmet's ?

( always wear a full face lid meself with visor down, don't fancy ending up with a face decorated with fly's and wasps :cool: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I remember a guy from Florida telling me about daytona beach bike week. It gets 500k attendance every year. There's no helmet law in Florida but they brought one in one year, attendance dropped so they got rid of the helmet law and attendance went right back up again. Obviously plenty of people want to drive without helmets!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I remember a guy from Florida telling me about daytona beach bike week. It gets 500k attendance every year. There's no helmet law in Florida but they brought one in one year, attendance dropped so they got rid of the helmet law and attendance went right back up again. Obviously plenty of people want to drive without helmets!

I think that's more to do with the type of bike/lifestyle then rice burner riders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have heard that one of the most vocal opponents to helmet laws in the US is the insurance companies. They like riders not having to wear helmets as it makes accident survival very unlikely. With a lid there is a chance of survival with a need for lifetime care which is very expensive. Better for them for the riders to die outright.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think that's more to do with the type of bike/lifestyle then rice burner riders.

Pretty much. I was in Orlando a few years back when Daytona bike week was on(may as well have been Orlando bike week for the amount of bikes around!) and the vast majority were riding Harleys and Choppers in jeans,t-shirt with leather waistcoat and a bandana. It's all part of the lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

I remember talking to a bloke from Canada and his state ( cann't remember which one) brought in a rule a few years ago that you had to wear a lid. He told me that fellas tried to ignore the rule for a week or two but gave up as the cops were dishing out tickets. Just goes to show, " the man " always wins :o

Advertisement