Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a rig that will fit into €600

Options
  • 18-04-2011 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a 600 euro budget to build a pc but don't know where to start.
    I will able to get all the software for free.( Because I'm an it student, perfectly legal)
    I also have monitor/keyboard/mouse.)
    Thank you in advance for all constructive suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

You could build a pc for €200 mate. You could at least tell us what it's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭burrentech

Patcherson wrote: »
    I have a 600 euro budget to build a pc but don't know where to start.
    I will able to get all the software for free.( Because I'm an it student, perfectly legal)
    I also have monitor/keyboard/mouse.)
    Thank you in advance for all constructive suggestions.

It all depends on what you want for your 600 euro! If you're going with new then you may struggle to get anything decent for your money. If you go secondhand...

Sites like adverts.is, freecycle.com, and ebay.ie can help you get the bits for less.

You'll get a fairly decent new laptop for 600 euro from any of the many retailers around.

BTW anyone can get the software for free, linux.org for the O/S, openoffice.org and a raft of other apps are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

burrentech wrote: »
    It all depends on what you want for your 600 euro! If you're going with new then you may struggle to get anything decent for your money. If you go secondhand...

Sites like adverts.is, freecycle.com, and ebay.ie can help you get the bits for less.

You'll get a fairly decent new laptop for 600 euro from any of the many retailers around.

BTW anyone can get the software for free, linux.org for the O/S, openoffice.org and a raft of other apps are available.

You can get an excellent machine for 600 euros capable of playing the latest games

OP what do you intend using it for? what is the resolution of your monitor? do you already have an OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Assuming that
    1) you are willing to build it yourself/get someone to build it for you
    2) that you can get a cheap/free OS and
    3) it's a gaming machine

155753.PNG

+ delivery €30.

That's slightly over budget, but you can drop the CPU heat sink - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - as it is unnecessary but would make your system a bit quieter.

Monotype wrote: »
    Assuming that
    1) you are willing to build it yourself/get someone to build it for you
    2) that you can get a cheap/free OS and
    3) it's a gaming machine

155753.PNG

+ delivery €30.

That's slightly over budget, but you can drop the CPU heat sink - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - as it is unnecessary but would make your system a bit quieter.

That looks like a sweet deal, trust the Dutch to get the prices down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

That looks like a sweet deal, trust the Dutch to get the prices down ;)

You mean the germans :)

deceit wrote: »
    You mean the germans :)

only looked at artikel nr. same as Dutch! you're right the rest is in German. About time the prices started to drop here though. Although got a sweet deal on a laptop,wifi MFD, and some accessories for the same price here, including Win 7 64bit. A great deal for someone starting out with computing.

That's www.hardwareversand.de
    I should mention that they only take bank transfers, not credit cards. They've had a lot of customers on this forum, so check back on posts if you are concerned over reliability.

That's www.hardwareversand.de
    I should mention that they only take bank transfers, not credit cards. They've had a lot of customers on this forum, so check back on posts if you are concerned over reliability.

Not had a problem so far with transferring money to German or Dutch suppliers, delivery has always been quick and quality good. At least I don't have an Irish bank account so doesn't cost me anything to do the transfer, and they're not accusing me of money laundering! (happened to me with BoI think they should look closer to home for the launderers! sorry OT) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Not had a problem so far with transferring money to German or Dutch suppliers, delivery has always been quick and quality good. At least I don't have an Irish bank account so doesn't cost me anything to do the transfer, and they're not accusing me of money laundering! (happened to me with BoI think they should look closer to home for the launderers! sorry OT) :eek:

AIB costs nothing to do bank transfer and I think BOI is free too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Patcherson

hay guys ye sorry i didnt specify.
    Its a gaming rig and all I need is the tower.
    I have the monitor +key + mouse already.
    My budjet can streach to around 650 and what I really need is expandability if I want to upgrand in 2/3 yrs time.
    I'll give that spec that was posted a good look. Is the mombo 64 or 32bit?

Mombo?

Intel has the best future for it now as AMD will be changing their socket shortly. Intel is also more expensive. Doing some quick checks, to get a decent intel system, you'll have to cut back significantly on graphics or otherwise cut back a little on graphics and get a cheap board.

What expandability do you have in mind?
    Processor -> Intel
    Graphics -> Make sure you a good motherboard and a stronger PSU (could fit into AMD budget)

Mombo?

Intel has the best future for it now as AMD will be changing their socket shortly. Intel is also more expensive. Doing some quick checks, to get a decent intel system, you'll have to cut back significantly on graphics or otherwise cut back a little on graphics and get a cheap board.

What expandability do you have in mind?
    Processor -> Intel
    Graphics -> Make sure you a good motherboard and a stronger PSU (could fit into AMD budget)
    mombo is short for motherboard.

and Give me names of good intel motherboards.
    I'm doing software development in college so I know next to nothing about motherboards apart from their clock cycles.

Thanks for all your help so farm guys :)

There's no 64-bit motherboards. It's the processor that you're thinking of - and every processor in the past few years apart from early atoms have been 64-bit.

Go to hardwareversand.de and type P67 into the search bar. There's not huge variations across the boards. Generally extra slots and overclock buttons. Most of the essentials are the same.

The MSI GD53 looks good for everything and expandability.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44931

@Patcherson: You're doing it wrong :p

Please let us know:
    Intended use (what kind of games and software development).
    What you have now - esp. Monitor resolution & graphics.

You may notice the gfx card above is pushing €200, but it's one of the strongest in the market. You could drop down to it's predecessor for a saving of ~90 on special, which IMO would be better spent on a nice SSD or speakers and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Nothing wrong with super flower PSU. I have one and its still running great since last December :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with super flower PSU. I have one and its still running great since last December :D

I'am not saying its a bad psu but from the amount of reviews that say the XFX is a great PSU would make it my choice .

The XFX is definitely the best for money at the 650W range and I would go for it myself, but it isn't quite necessary for this system, unless upgrading is likely at there's a bit more money around.

ok so im thinking up of what I have so far

have a monitor with 1280x1024 but will be expanding soon
    and have keyboard and mouse + speakers.

Monitor: Dell 1280x1024
    Keyboard: Razor Reclusa (Already Owned)
    Mouse: Razor Naga /Lacheris (Already Owned)
    Tower: Cooler Master HAF 932 http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23713&agid=632
    PSU : XFX 650W http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39875&agid=1629
    GPU : In debate
    Mombo: MSI GD53 http://www2.hardwareversand.de/artic....jsp?aid=44931
    CPU: In debate ( will be an Intel chip)
    Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333 ram (Already Owned)
    Cooling: Case have a few fans so might find a cheap heatsink somewhere.
    HardDrive needs to be atleast 500gb

Thanks to everyone who contributed so far.
    I still have another month before I will be purchasing the parts so plenty of research to be done.
    I plan on constantly upgrading this rig so thats why I went pricey on the case need a fullsized one.

Total cost is €296

• Advertisement

@Patcherson: You're doing it wrong :p

Please let us know:
    Intended use (what kind of games and software development).
    What you have now - esp. Monitor resolution & graphics.

You may notice the gfx card above is pushing €200, but it's one of the strongest in the market. You could drop down to it's predecessor for a saving of ~90 on special, which IMO would be better spent on a nice SSD or speakers and such.

Basicly this computer has to be able to play modern games such as crysis and tf2 at 60fps and also needs to be upgradable

Patcherson wrote: »
    Basicly this computer has to be able to play modern games such as crysis and tf2 at 60fps and also needs to be upgradable
    At high settings? :p

156446.PNG

Excluding RAM and OS.

Upgradability
    Can upgrade to a second 6850 later - supported by board and PSU.
    Processor is overclockable and socket is quite new.

Will definitely run everything well at your current resolution and should work reasonably well at HD resolutions.

It's over budget, but we can scale back certain parts if you specify which areas you want to be upgradable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

why not go with a amd phenom x4 with a am3+ ready motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Trevor451 wrote: »
    why not go with a amd phenom x4 with a am3+ ready motherboard?

Indeed the amd 955 + am3 board would be almost 100 euros cheaper

however, am3 is fairly old tech and Sandy bridge is shiny new
    also performance-wise there is quite a gap
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288

An AM3+ board would be a pretty good idea. It would save money now, allowing focus on other components (while providing future upgrade paths) and in my opinion, the AMD boards quite decent (e.g., having features such as all SATA ports 6Gbps). However, there's only a few AM3+ boards after appearing -only lower/mid end, they're also not in stock and there's still not many details on the socket itself or Bulldozer performance.

Advertisement